In this thread, we'll discuss the literary merits of stand up comedy

In this thread, we'll discuss the literary merits of stand up comedy

Attached: 17-louis-ck.w330.h330.jpg (330x330, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yTv1wJ_VUgY
youtube.com/watch?v=46hP3222TDA
youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

As a form of slam poetry it is not wholly without merit.

Sam Hyde: comedic genius or conniving Jew?

Comedians are the modern day philosophers, anyone agree?

Attached: chairman.jpg (525x503, 58K)

I've always enjoyed comedians discussing their craft because its incidentally about writing, although their focus is primarily being funny and writing is merely a means of organizing their comedic energies into a set. its incredible to think of how the best stand-up comedians honed a heightened instinct for emotional communication such that they could send the crowd into boredom, into a dull, placid state necessary for them to build a great story or idea from an emotional zero point, or even one of negativity, resentment, nervousness. Chapelle did this notably in his recent specials, walking right up to SJW pedantry before he drops some churlish, mischievous surprise.

Comedians are always philosophers, user

Not really. They might be more akin to the modern day pamphleteers.

Seinfeld's exaltation about the unreal excitement and joy felt before you buy the thing, maybe a Crunchwrap Supreme or an iPhone, and how this is such pure unadulterated happiness that always dissipates and lessens once you acquire the thing, its as if the imagination and anticipation were the more powerful part of the experience. The thing can be great, but it will never again produce in you that powerful emotion. Its so deeply modern, completely drenched in consumerism and capitalism, but its also a way of trying to understand ourselves in the midst of the gluts and surpluses of our times, that of course the iPhones and tacos do not matter. Only our joy matters. I feel Seinfeld in a sense could refute the Unabomber, insofar as he defends such a crass and meaningless activity as shopping and somehow edifies and makes the people doing the shopping the more important part of the equation, not the purchased modern, industrially produced item. Sure it could all drive you mad, its so complex, its so vast, its so beyond any one of us and all of us combined. Perhaps its better to do our best with the utmost conscientiousness and clearheadedness, that the absence of those things are worse sins, producing more damage from neglect and waste and mired ignorance.

Alot of good stand up jokes are verbal misdirection, so the wording has to be right or it will give away the joke. An example:
> My psychiatrist told me I'm going crazy. I told him, "If you don't mind, I'd like a second opinion." He said, "All right. You're ugly too!"

>That's really offensive to modern day philosophers
also by norm.

I look it more like some form of literary essay. Also not every comedian can get to that point, for me only Chapelle and Louis reach that level.

Important on the social level to highlight human frailty. Dangerous to those whose frailty is a liability to their public image, often the first thing limited or banned in the process of fascist takeover.

Almost universally populated by ugly, socially misadjusted nitwits who glom onto whatever political currents are popular at the moment. Only a few apply their craft to society as a whole rather than to isolated pockets they personally dislike.

there's a large strain of comics who try to be as honest as they can about society or themselves through humorous polemic, but there are also people who just tell jokes. most are somewhere inbetween

For example, "A Modest Proposal" from Jonathan Swift could easily be a stand-up routine

Don't forget Carlin and Lenny Bruce.

Comedians are literally just one-person shows. Just one long monologue either pointing out something funny or acting funny

Sure George Carlin is pretty good but after watching "I love you Daddy" and "Horace and Pete" I really think Louis is, more than a good commedian, a truly genius writer. I don´t know right now but when he made "2017" not even Chapelle was on that level (then he made the second Netflix special and they got even).

Was louis truly in a "position of power" when he asked those girls if he could fap?

I think stand-up deserves more credit as an art form (literary and performance wise) then it currently gets. Writing bits that are structured perfectly to illicit a laugh from complete strangers is as difficult as any literary achievement from a "serious" author. Go to your local open mic night to see what comedy looks like when its devoid of merit.

>le life is meaningless bro hahaha fuck religion and fuck authority hahahaha

I'd say it's not completely false
There's often an inkling of truth in most comedy bits, and people are more accepting of truths if they can laugh about it
youtube.com/watch?v=yTv1wJ_VUgY

Idk if it’s litersry but I really enjoy watching Norm’s White House correspondents dinner speech. I love when no one laughs but him.

honestyl, I have been watching standup forever, but I feel like only louis’ standup gets literary. Only his standup seems to legitimately touch on interesting themes, to be deeply introspective. Maybe Burr does at times (his bit about marriage and women being like psycho robots is pretty great), or Eddie Pepitone. Most other standup just talks about topical political shit, or very basic social commentary.

As far as standup generally goes, I really respect standup comedians. It has a purity to it, being just a monologue, that makes it especially appealing. It’s a combination of acting, performance, writing, and the ability to read crowds. It really takes a shitload of skill.

stand up is good but nothing is funnier than comics just riffing with each other, like the cellar crowd during the o&a golden years

Of all the guys metooed, I feel Louis was probably the one who did the least harm.

>whipped his dick out in front of 2 stacys
>they literally laughed and walked away
>girl on phone just called him a creep and hung up
>last girl just straight up said "no" and remained unmolested when he asked if she wanted to go up to his room and watch him jack it
I had a friend argue with me that he was a vile rapist and was wielding his position of authority over these women. I think I will no longer call him friend.

This but unironically

No; comedians rely solely on distorting the truth and re-confirming the audience's reality. It will never grow out of being entertainment/

Do you know what the word literary means?

Stand up requires more brevity than literature because there is instantaneous feedback

>Control + F
>no Doug Stanhope

youtube.com/watch?v=46hP3222TDA

He's Yea Forums incarnate.

Comedy involves two disciplines. Dialectic and rhetoric. How does the good speaker apprehend the audiences, I do not know.

Young men overanalyzing and fawning over comedians is one of the worst parts of the >current year.

>re-confirming the audience's reality
You've only seen a limited number of comics in a late night open mic club have you?

>be me
>around 17 years old
>write tons of jokes in scrapbooks
>typed out a comedy routine I was planning to give at some point
>jokes were mostly about how I was a pathetic friendless virgin
>ended up moving on from it
>visited home a year or so ago
>found that my mother had been through my drawers and probably read through my scrapbook
>found the typed out comedy routine
>felt like blowing my head off right there

I think to intellectually understand something and to do it are two different things. Here you have a bunch of anons thinking comedians read a bunch of heavy books to become funny, when they probably just a hung around clubs, sawbunch of sets, and started while they were young. The unfunny ones failed, and the funny ones became know. There's no lesson like experience, guess.

so are you still a pathetic friendless virgin? in that case maybe you should desu fampai

if you are the type if dude that gives a shit about stuff like that you will never make it

Sounds like new material

this

Go to an open mic night and do those jokes. You already put more thought and effort into it than 90% of other "comedians"

>WHERE'S THE BLOODY JOKES!

Attached: Oh.jpg (1170x620, 45K)

Louis was in a position to get them hired or fired sometimes, so they couldn't tell anyone about it, that's what power means in this scenario

Norm Macdonald is the only Yea Forums comedian

Carlin. His bit about stuff, for example. He pioneered the whole shebang in the US

stewart lee is the only comedian who creates art, not just entertainment. no american comic comes close

You are memed and at times coerced into buying unnecessary shit. This is just a surrogate activity for the power process. I don’t see how this is refuting any of uncle ted. It’s an interesting observation that anyone can relate to so basically the whole Shtick of all of his comedy but I don’t see it as something sublime.

Attached: 8FC82F1B-9269-412A-B7E3-3F9F801FC953.jpg (1406x1758, 560K)

Get a grip on your gene pool. Your current eugenics campaign only affects blacks. Not good enough!

Carlin, time sketch

this. people only laugh at the things they already believe in

I love stewart lee. Watched all his standups countless times, so much rewatch value. Definitely a different form of comedy. his sets are so tightly structured yet they seem like they have no form at all. his book How I Escaped My Certain Fate is great too. has the transcripts of all his routines and he annotates and picks them apart to show you what's actually going on. very interesting. Recommended!

Attached: lee.jpg (500x375, 27K)

how did this terrible bait get so many people

This

I might be an oaf, but listening to Doug Stanhope it Bill Hicks gave me feelings of trascendental beauty, much more than most poetry I've read (Charles Bukowski and Leonard Cohen excluded). The philosophy parallels are there, blablabla, but also they're really well made short stories.

Attached: a8x7n450mrw11.jpg (450x470, 34K)

I’m even more surprised by how many people seem to agree with it, I expected more from Yea Forums of all places. That’s like one of the most uneducated normie sayings of all time.

You could argue that even straight up philosophy has to spend a lot of time confirming the reader's reality.

>Yea Forums incarnate
by god you're a stupid fucking animal

that guy has no integrity, his world view makes no fucking sense, if you can't see that off the bat you're a fucking animal

if you listen to what he actually says he weaves a moderate-leftist narrative to drag people further left, just like most every comedian

and if you look into his friends and backers, well, there's the stone cold proof

he's a jewish pet, he's not funny, and he doesn't have any good criticism of anything

what a pile of shit post

seriously, what a unmomentous brain fart

I'm not even trolling you, but to hear him describe a vagina like a hole kicked in the side of a pig's rotting carcass, to see the indignant fear at the speed life's slipping away... there's something there that's beautiful to me.

I don't even think he's a liberal shill, and I wouldn't care.

pretty bait thread tho so the base rate is poor

Just like all high art, comedy is truly unrecognized and appreciated for what it is. Even critics take themselves too seriously to talk about an amazing comedic performance. The insight and imagination it takes to create comedic moments even beyond the immediate of social commentary takes high emotional intelligence. Aristotle believed a human being wasn’t completed till they utter their first laugh. It truly separates us from nature. People with no sense of humor or people that actively want to stop others from laughing implicitly are threatened by the truths contained inside a joke. They might not even understand it consciously. These people deserve your utmost disdain and contempt.

carlin is decent, but he mostly just sincerely shouts lists of things that the audience agrees with. he's not actually clever, doesn't use any irony, metanarratives etc

ye, the amount of effort that goes into his shows, where its all scripted, yet its scripted to appear organic. the total understanding and mastery of the audience, knowing exactly the reaction he will bring about. genius

you give too much credit to the 19 yo autists who browse lit, so much terrible bait is risen to

Man, that is mest up.

Poetic but damn son.

Carlin didn’t write material for lesbians. I don’t come to you about the tepid turd that is Margaret Cho or Ellen (why do women even try to be funny?) so just relax. Are you even able to not think about that men are doing for two seconds? Carlin is the master of the one-liner. He has his specific style and also decades of material, you probably just shun him because he’s so popular with a certain type of person. This person usually doesn’t give a fuck about French art films or morissey so ofcourse you’ve gotta hold on to your hipster credentials by parroting the bloated journos of NY and LA as if you weren’t a standard suburbanite that thinks they’re the only one that “gets it” as you slide in your Sonic Youth CD for the hundredth time.

there's a lot of pretentious bullshitters to sort through, but genuinely smart people do post here, and from from diverse disciplines. Yea Forums has jumped me ahead of the political / cultural curve about a dozen times, and i'm a very online guy

Attached: 1431110608517.jpg (1024x768, 146K)

Honestly he's decent Yea Forums material on his own. I read through both of the books he's put out in the last couple of years and they're really fucking hysterical and well written. He writes pretty much the same way he does standup

It's not a bait thread, 1-man theatre can be very literary

Analyzing comedy doesn't workout well. 5

Don't watch much stand up do you?

>not clever
t. has never heard the Modern Man bit
Jesus, language was Carlin's specialty you dumbass. It seems you've only seen his angry old man schtick and made judgments from there

First, and probably only, comedian to master the wall between audiences and performers and milk it for all its worth

Attached: 7897089.jpg (684x792, 422K)

Carlin is overrated and he became a hack in his later years. He forgot that as a comedian, his job was to make people laugh, not go up on stage and preach for an hour. His later shit is more like a lecture than a comedy routine. Early Carlin was decent but still overrated. Pryor was a better comic and I'd also say Chappelle is also a better comic (although his recent specials indicate that he's going to be following in Carlin's footsteps.)

I remember hearing he was jacking it while on the phone with people
Like damn I guess lock me up and throw away the key

youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

If you think Carlin wasn't a philosopher, you weren't listening.
>asking the questions that ask not to be asked
>structural methods of thinking
>comfortable with uncomfortable answers
And he got it all right to boot.

Gobbles' bit about calling a Jew a Jew is very Seinfeldian, or rather, Jewish humor is very Nazi, or rather, Nazi humor is very Jewish.