Name ONE (1) literary genius to come out of this continent

Name ONE (1) literary genius to come out of this continent.

Attached: 400px-Blank_Map-Africa.svg.png (400x410, 28K)

Attached: D179B8E7-B91C-4742-9C64-3683FAA9DE07.jpg (356x450, 54K)

Chinua Achebe, but he was obviously very influenced by the western canon

all of them, factlet?

Attached: heart-of-darkness-12.jpg (1200x1789, 170K)

Albert Camus :^)

Attached: image.jpg (202x300, 10K)

All of them, technically.

Mariama Bâ

Saint based and holy pilled

Not a genius by any stretch, but I personally think Frantz Fanon is based for his writing on French colonialism and his ideas for a Pan-African approach to decolonisation.

Fanon is based but he was from the Caribbean

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Attached: 1A307D98-1751-4FCB-9C6D-88CE45CB40A9.jpg (1024x1200, 421K)

She cute

That's a lovely picture, I like the lighting quite a bit. What's her best book?

Plotinus, Terence, Augustine, Clement of Alexandria

How was this guy called who wrote like 800-pages long epic poem or postmodern national epic or something like that. Its in weird African language and has scatological humour - like in Rabelais. Pretty new book too

And not a genius in any respect whatsoever

Too easy.

j m coetzee he's a whitey though

Welp I'm fucking dumb

I would really want to know.

this.

Joseph Conrad was African?

Elon Musk :^)

One glance at his Twitter and any belief in him being a literary genius is out the window.

Nah, dude, he’s gonna save the world with dirt bricks and rockabilly

I thought Petals of Blood was genius-tier but I literally can't remember the guy's name and I'm too lazy to look it up

Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o

Manetho

>forgetting Apuleius

Attached: A07B8241-7B6B-4170-A926-ABE82DB7B995.jpg (1000x918, 169K)

Ernst Junger was born there.

Tayeb Salih

Obviously you're referring to the black race, of which one name has been posted, though I hadn't heard of the author previously.

I thought Jünger was born in Heidelberg?

J. R. R. Tolkien was born in Oranje Vrijstaat, however.

Sayyid Qutb was born in Egypt.

He was born in Ukraine, and was Polish.

Shakespeare was reptilian

ibn Tufail, who wrote the first autodidact character

I think he was from Al-Andalus.

Sorry, I meant Rudolf Hess.

Are we not counting colonies?

OP said "this continent", to which Al-Andalus doesn't belong.

/thread

K, then Cavafy.

tfw Kavafis is more African than Ibn Tufail.

I'm not the one nitpicking where the continent ended

i went where he was born in annaba nice place

The 'Out-of-Africa' theory has been brought into serious scrutiny in recent years. Many researches now believe that all life coming from out of the Middle-East is more likely.

Only the Jews believe that. Don't listen to them. They're brainwashing you.

How about Ptolemy, who hailed from Egypt?

:3

>Nigerian playwright, poet and essayist. He was awarded the 1986 Nobel Prize in Literature,the first African to be honoured in that category.

Why even bother asking the question most of you are going to say there aren't any african literary geniuses without reading their work and move on.

Attached: 189438-004-A7589C1E.jpg (225x300, 8K)

>I can't even read the thread
>Trust me I read poetry plays and essays
Sure thing

Plus he was cousin of Fela Kuti.

There could be many, if the world was a fair place. Most of your favorite literary geniuses were probably born into enough wealth that they were able to read books and study literature all day and then had enough status to attract attention to their own work.

Who knows how much wasted potential is being washed away every day in impoverished countries? If someone who could be the next Joyce happens to be living in the Congo, we'll never know because they have to focus their time on being able to eat and not getting shot. It's sad.

In fact, it's almost as much as the person who wins the lottery and is born into a country where they have access to resources and education and could be a successful writer, but instead they choose to spend their time anonymously making fun of an entire continent on an imageboard, and thinking that they identify with the greats simply because they come from the same region or share the same skin color. Almost.

>Ireland was rich
I think you should stop sharing your thoughts.

Me.

fpbp

what do Yea Forums hate the most? blacks or jews?

Attached: based.jpg (450x548, 224K)

Yea Forums hates North America most

Based

Attached: Bust_of_Ibn_Khaldun_(Casbah_of_Bejaia,_Algeria).jpg (300x460, 40K)

Niggers, but it really depends how many /pol/ posters are lurking at that hour

I certainly do

Tolkein
Dawkins
Augustine
Athol Fugard
Camus
I could go on.

The corpus of world literature has been greatly enriched by Africans.

Vrystaat!!!!!!

Wizard of the Crow by Ngugi Wa Thuongo

Technically we all came from the ocean!!

Attached: hess.jpg (526x774, 68K)

I want to impregnate her

I prefer Quo’dijah Ongo Tugabugon.

Ptolemy was greek.

>Albert Camus, Saint Augustine, Rudolf Hess, the list could go on

Albert Cossery

this is it thanks

Came into the thread to mention Coetzee.

Are there any African writers who actually wrote in their own language and were good?

Ngugi exclusively writes in Kikuyu now. A lot of East Africans write in Swahili, which mostly isn't their native language but it is at least an African language.

>assuming anyone here would know

I was just memeing, since it's considered such an important post-modern work on colonialism and africa

This thread inspired me to look into Ngugi

>While detained in the Kamiti Maximum Security Prison, Ngũgĩ wrote the first modern novel in Gikuyu, Devil on the Cross (Caitaani mũtharaba-Inĩ), on prison-issued toilet paper.

This is the most Chad thing I've ever heard of anyone doing

This, unironically.

>he doesn't know about the Algerian National Anthem
"A prominent member of this movement was Moufdi Zakaria, a Mozabite Berber poet affiliated with the Algerian People's Party (PPA). He was jailed and tortured on several occasions between the 1920s and 1962. It was during one of these experiences, in April 1955, that he penned the words to "Kassaman". Since he did not have access to paper or writing instruments while incarcerated in Barberousse Prison, Zakaria reportedly wrote the lyrics with his own blood on the walls of his jail cell."

Based

Can you read anything other than English? There are some French-colony writers like Camus, and Portuguese-colony writers such as Mia Couto, that are very good. I don't know any Italian ones but I bet there's some good shit there too. It's mostly white people also since they were the wealthy and literate ones before the blacks were given back their land (or as we say it in history books, "claimed independence"), and wealth disparity became equal to total illiteracy all around.

No love for Bessie Head?

Nelson Mandela also wrote a good book

Attached: bhead.jpg (300x370, 95K)

Olaudah Equiano
Amos Tutuola
Tertullian
Ken Wiwa
Nadine Gordimer
Doris Lessing

That’s weird. I was just trying to remember her name. I read A Question of Power years ago, and I remember it being solid.

Attached: 03633f0757ac3d6b82ad7169044f54ec2f4172d6f14e0bbf7ebc7e10db15bf0f-lit.jpg (475x475, 28K)

Aesop