I always hear "start with the greeks"

I always hear "start with the greeks".

Can someone give me a list of Greek books that I should follow in chronological order? Thanks Yea Forums

Attached: greek.png (610x310, 243K)

Other urls found in this thread:

penningtonlibrary.com/reading-lists
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just read books
ignore anything else
> follow in chronological order?
You are developing poor habits

Do you want to be one of those pseuds who create a 200+ book reading list and then abort it during the second book?

Dont follow the professional looking one, it contains some "context-building" crap books like Hamilton and other crap. This is what I recommend to friends

The Iliad
The Odyssey (avoid Wilson translation)
Something Plato (My first Plato was The Republic but it doesnt really matter which one you begin with)
Something Aristoteles
Then you should have a firm grasp on the Greeks and can pretty much choose anything you want

>tfw I used to do this

God what was I like
these days I just read what I like :)

HOMER HESIOD HERODOTUS THUCYDIDES XENOPHON AECHYLUS SOPHOCLES EURIPIDES ARISTOPHANES LYRIC POETS SUMMARY OF PRESOCRATICS (OR GO MORE IN DEPTH IF YOU WANT) PLATO ARISTOTLE

>no Heraclitus

disgusting

Just Plato's Trial and Death of Socrates dialogues (Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo), and Ovid's Metamorphoses.
If you want to, you can come back to read Hesiod, Homer, Pindar, Sappho, Herodotus, Thucydides, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, the Pre-Socratic fragments, Xenophon, the rest of Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, Epictetus, Euclid, Ptolemy, Plotinus, later on, but get these down first.

He'll be found in the pre-socratics

Homer is way more important that Ovid. Ovid isn't even Greek!

Attached: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (3672x3024, 1.38M)

Do NOT follow this reading list. This is poison, it is crap. Look at the first book! Fucking Hamilton!!!

>t. has never read the book

>Aristotle
Is the Metaphysics a good starting point?

This is a literature forum not a philosophy one

this dude has the most complete reading list on plato i've ever seen.

not all greeks but if you want plato, then goddamn:

penningtonlibrary.com/reading-lists

No. I read the whole thing and didn’t understand a word.

Plutarch- "Parallel Lives"

Nicomachean Ethics is his easiest and most bearable work. After that comes On the Soul and Metaphysics. If you plan on reading the Metaphysics, you should also read Categories and On Interpretation. The Prior and Posterior Analytic are mostly autistic classifications of syllogisms. You should only care for the Organon as a whole if you plan on becoming a Roman Catholic canon laywer or if you plan on reading Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, but the SEP article on Aristotle's logic does more than enough justice to it.

Ovid covers a lot more bases than Homer. If you read Ovid before Homer, you'll have a pretty good idea about the origin of the gods, the conflict between the titans and the gods, some of the early heroes (Perseus, Cadmus), the later heroes (Heracles, Orpheus, Jason, Aeneas), the details of which can be filled in by other writers' works. It's like Apollodorus' Library, but much more elegantly written.

>Aeschylus
Full works
>Sophocles
Full works
>Euripides
Just avoid The Fenician Woman and Heracles. The Children of Heracles is my personal favourite.

Why just some Sophocles plays? The person behind this list (al least in Greek Theather knowledge) don't inspire me confidence.

I read the first few but they're so boring desu. Any tips or motivation to get me to read the rest of them?

Avoid Edith Hamilton like the plague

Why is Edith Hamilton bad all of a sudden?

The core is as stated here but contrary to that user, I don't think you should worry about supplementing your reading. The Brief History of Ancient Greece by Pomeroy can paint a good picture of the Greek history and culture and plant you in those societies, so to speak. I don't fully agree with rejection of Hamilton that this user is pushing in this thread, but it is a rather bland, normalfag material. For mythology, I would instead just read pseudo-Apollodorus's Bibliotheca. If your ultimate aim is to read philosophy, then by all means read some intro about pre-Socratics so that you're on the right page when you eventually move to Plato.

you should read the greeks, but following some laid out guide is for pseuds who dont actually want to read, but simply look intelligent.

It's a meme. Nobody that recomends you to start with the Greeks started with the Greeks. We all start with something that is familiar to us.

If you found Plutarch boring I have some bad news for you...

Which translation did you read, user?

starting with the greeks is a memetrap for noobs op you're actually supposed to start with D&G Thousand Plateaus and work backwards through the western intellectual tradition

Dryden. It's a classic in its own right.

Start with this thread, it gives insight into philosophy by experience. As well as train your creative organ for actual philosophical thought.

This is a literature forum not a philosophy one. Start with the Greeks mean Greek epic, Greek history, Greek poetry and Greek theater.

This thread

Nigga just look up greek authors sorted chronologically or get a textbook on greek literature jesus christ

I actually want to read Iliad now. Do I need to read up on some mythology n shit?