Discuss

Discuss

Attached: 41SAxyBBZmL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (329x499, 22K)

dude weed lmao

>didn't read the book

the poem was better, Barth is kinda a hack

I’m about 200 pages in. It is at time funny, at times an insufferable drag. I do enjoy googling all the absurd historical figures and their stories, and I enjoy the frame narrative device. I do not enjoy the writing style, and it could easily be 250 pages instead of fucking 850. But you know, all them post modern WASPs gotta compensate for their small cocks and draft Tome after Tome, so looks like I’ll be stuck reading it for another month.

Some funny raunchy stuff but agree with other posters in this bred, too fucking long

i finished it last year and i think its worth it. the theme of the characters' identity shifting through time all comes together eventually.

>characters change over the course of a story
Congratulation John for making it through 1/10th of your freshman year creative writing syllabus.

Finished it about a week ago, one of the most enjoyable books I’ve ever read. Loved the ridiculous story and characters. Betrand was one of the funniest characters I’ve ever read. The language Barth uses is really great too, loved the style. All in all great book I’m glad i picked it up on a whim

If you’re only 200 pages in, how are you making the claim that it could be 250 pages? You realize that things actually happen in the book right?

no, numbnuts. characters are constantly changing their identities consciously, posing as other people or taking on multiple identities simultaneously.

Is The End of the Road a better introduction to Barth or wat?

This was the first Barth I read, just go for it. You’ll get more used to the style as it goes

Shut up retard

DUDE....EGGGPLANT LMAO

Take your lunch Break John, you’re becoming irritable.

Because the premise is incredibly simple and straightforward, and the protagonist isn’t interesting. Nor is the style particularly rewarding.

who's Break John?

is he better than Pynchon or not?

Lmao got me lolol need some ice for that burn ayyyyyyyy tehe yeeet yeeet

lol just put it down then. his world just starts collectively shitting on him until the very end of the book and it gets better and better. i disagree that he was uninteresting. quixotism is hilarious when it doesnt obtain in reality.

Obviously. Pynchon isn’t worth reading at all. He’s a great prank pulled on pseuds.

no kid, you got yourself

Attached: a99.jpg (800x600, 198K)

seriously? not even Against the Day or Vineland?

Isn't Vineland his worst book?

worst does not mean bad by any means

Neither them nor M&D nor GR. Absolute fraudster, nonsense psychobabble drivel doggerel spoonfed to rich white college boys to keep them busy

Google Pynchon passages or quotes and find one that is original, impactful, concise, or otherwise demonstrating he’s not an early beta version of a Watson computer long since thrown away. I will venmo you $500 if you read any of his passages and feel moved in the least.

I assure you you will not.

Attached: uuy.png (822x844, 222K)

you must be some kind of STEMfag or smth
or maybe you're just into different kind of literature altogether

I’m embarrassed for him that he ever wrote this. I’m aware he’s alluding to a more subtle tradition of scatalogical humor beginning with Marlowe and culminating, say, with Joyce’s Ulysses, but they at least executed it with tact and style.

I would imagine he’s kicking himself as an old man for the poor creative decisions he made in his late twenties/early thirties.

>implying it's not the novel's god-tier moment

You should be embarrassed for stating this opinion, whether ironically or otherwise.

impeccable analysis

It isn't

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 12.09.05 PM.png (1074x204, 28K)

don't be so hardheaded

Discuss Giles Goat-Boy. I think it's a great book

impeccable retort

Brainlet.

there's nothing to retort, kiddo ;)

It’s not that straightforward. I don’t even think he’s in America by page 200. Finish a book before you make a broad claim about it

most mid-to-late-20th century postmodernist tomes are not at all worthwhile to read. boring, masturbatory slogs

Have you read the one in question?

Did you even read the book? Obviously not, because any simpleton who read The Sot-Weed Factor would’ve understand what that poster was getting at. A major them of the book is identity/proving your identity/and what it means to be “you”.

Bertrand is like Sancho Panza on steroids.

His immediate obsessions with golden cities and constant womanizing was hysterical

Peterson has made postmodernism irrelevant

Irrelevant in what sense? That a new artistic movement has superseded postmodernism? Or that postmodernism is a mistake and nothing of value can be found therein? Or is it something else entirely.

Love to get excited when I see my favorite book in a decent sized thread thread, only to open the thread and see like 4 people actually discussing the book, and a bunch of people who haven’t read it saying it sucks. I don’t know what else I expect out of Yea Forums

He is inferior to Pynchon in every sense.

Peterson doesn't even know what postmodernism is.