Goodreads thread

Attached: The Histories - Herodotus.png (798x424, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/baseduX79vVGHO
vocaroo.com/i/s0
archive.org/details/tlotiat-chapter1
goodreads.com/book/show/1240309.The_Tree_of_the_Folkungs
theguardian.com/books/201...
youtube.com/watch?v=bUocQmNinHY
historyofphilosophy.net/seneca
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas.png (636x2629, 553K)

>4 years

Attached: Roughing It - Mark Twain.png (836x429, 88K)

Attached: Count of Monte Cristo.png (669x381, 60K)

Attached: Don Quixote - Miquel de Cervantes.png (766x230, 52K)

Attached: Meditations - Marcus Aurelius.png (774x232, 51K)

>oy vey

Ironic that she like Eugenie the most, since her whole character is just used by Dumas as a plot device to exact revenge on her father.
Her lesbian escapades aren't written to make her seem independent and strong, but rather as an extra 'fuck you' to her dad.

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourite books, but it's not exactly a difficult read. I't amazing how she's able to misinterpret so much of it.

>woman not understanding meditations
colour me surprised

Attached: Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.jpg (618x1396, 477K)

Attached: Screenshot_20180908-151648_Goodreads-02.png (554x1920, 1.04M)

Just read this one a few minutes ago.

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-132806_Firefox.jpg (720x1280, 294K)

uhh white people just...like, why should I care about the shit they do, their feelings, their inner life and random shit that happens to them?

pretty crazy how efficiently the left dehumanized caucasians in their propaganda. Took, what, ten years?
Any complaint coming from a white is invalid because of their race. Even stuff they really should care about as self-described leftists.
Obviously not all are like this but gotdam

she's right

this but unironicaly

That is true. When summarized like that, it is incredible.

This is the quintessential goodreads review, totally smug and useless for the reader, tries to be clever.

Attached: 1551742905118.png (433x325, 137K)

lole it's like what the whites did with every other race since their existence, it wouldn't be weird if in the next years the left create studys that prove white people are naturally bad and retarded

unironically correct

all reviews are useless to the reader. read prefaces and summaries.

>Well historically whites did it too!
Not what we are talking about.
>It wouldn't be weird if in the next years...studies...prove white people are naturally bad and retarded
Dude. Look at the quality of evidence and methods of testing for things like unconscious bias, male entitlement, "psychopathy" among wealthy white males/CEOs, etc, even the "wealth gap."
It's very, very low. Occurring entirely in fields with ongoing replication crises. And serves mainly to provide a facade of scientism to idpol social agendas.
Magnified often at the expense of redistributive and anti-corporate economic issues.
If you ask me. Which you didn't. But still.

I think the modern situation is unprecedented, that is, a race of people dehumanizing itself. It's clear to most that this sentiment has been fabricated and perpetuated by the white political and cultural elites. It's like a collective drive for self-destruction.

2/10 bait

Fuck I hate women so much

Actually, they see themselves as separate from the "bad whites."
Look at victorian england or puritan culture for this emphasis on piety and self debasement. Except instead of a restrictive religion or sensitive social norms it's the whims of a vocal minority of the population, the preachers and originators of wokeness being the academic black and brown people. Theirs to speak, whites to listen and obey.
Certain career and social advantages for those who broadcast the hardest. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like the conservativism of the Bush and Trumps years hasn't fucked over a ton of people who are now finding very attractive the piety and critique coming from the idpol left, especially seeing how much it triggers people on the right.
The path forward is to focus on economic issues and reject any kind of group characterization as "besides the point" or "water under the bridge."
Some kind of movement to generate the illusion of a slate wiped clean, something popular (probably some kind of public policy but maybe a political subculture) that puts all of the socail issues of the past behind us and makes anyone who refers to them seem antisocial and regressive.
Maybe then we can finally fucking solve some real problems. Anybody looking forward to the wave of bridge collapses coming in the next twenty years? Remember when we built new roads and bridges and had enough money to maintain them? Put up public transit and infrastructure? Had enough money for public schools, research, and hospitals?
Yeah, me neither. It all dropped off in the 90s. Now we think the job of the government apparatus is to craft laws which make us feel better. I personally think it would feel pretty good to know all the water we pay out the ass in taxes for was clean. I would not mind if less kids were starving and we didn't waste so many young lives on miserable prospects and lifelong debt. That's just me.

>who is alive! And widowed! And 39, not 156!
S E E T H I N G

he's right though

lmao
>my kid just started public school at one of the top public elementary schools in the country
>We do a little parent meeting before school starts
>Kiddos teacher is an old sour lady, clearly needs to retire
>Talks about schedule for the kids
>Almost no recess or outdoors time
>Roof is made of cheap shitty tiles that are actively crumbling apart
>Building is sort of disgusting, although I guess that would happen to any building full of little kids lol
>"Common core" math seems like a lot of drawing pictures instead of learning basic principles
>Designed for the lowest "common" denominator, if you ask me. Assumes right off the bat that basic arithmetic will be too hard for most kids to understand
>Huge class size for the single teacher so she has "aids"
>Keep in mind this school is doing really well for the USA
>Tons of diversity posters all over though
>And the class just got donated a bunch of tablets so the kids will at least have access to precious precious touch screens
This is what my tax dollars went to. Three months out of the earning year.

Attached: Holdo homeworld.jpg (1500x600, 872K)

Could really be a review of any cyberpunk/ A C C E L E R A T E book

Attached: accelerando.png (814x744, 121K)

holy shit going to any book you like and viewing the 1-star reviews is pure rage-fuel

Yes, I'm seething.

Attached: Selfinsert.jpg (1176x1210, 341K)

vocaroo.com/i/baseduX79vVGHO

who's that midget boii

Attached: 9e504a9bd81b6e97f72bc3210e84c4a1.png (279x264, 195K)

Hahaha the one star reviews of great books are awesome.
Very fun.

Attached: Moby-Dick.jpg (938x364, 57K)

my beipus is heord
t. oakland negro that wrote this. go back to africa pork monkey!!!

based review

Based rating, based review
Shit profile pic (you) got

Pompous and stupid is far more entertaining than pompous and intelligent.

i gust SHIT MY FUCKEN PANTS!!!!

>insulting Bulgakov

Fuck this guy and his whole family

Attached: Heart of Darkness.png (631x322, 78K)

he'd rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea dump on him xD

Lol, reviews of The Merchant of Venice are fucking hilarious.

Attached: Shylock.png (672x639, 116K)

Attached: MarkyMark.png (626x464, 111K)

Is this review real?

Attached: Heretic.png (617x222, 67K)

>The link got fucking FILTERED

Attached: 65799EA1-740A-46D3-83D7-FE9EAEA841A2.jpg (1920x1440, 233K)

Real one here
vocaroo.com/i/s0
YuX79vVGHO

Attached: 72C0AD3C-50D2-4E95-A0A1-035760D486AB.jpg (1080x1073, 113K)

i cant even count how many times this has happened already. fucking gay mods

Paul's biggest complain regarding Paradise Lost seems to be that it doesn't rhyme.

Attached: 0bc0754cfd9e96b7f726d06bd539fae7.png (648x720, 100K)

>pithy
>Indeed,
>several million pages

Attached: 4F078A95-32A9-4617-9AC0-6204E3E3AB37.jpg (1015x1361, 665K)

>Indeed, the only thing I can think of in its favour is that it was a free download...
>
>
>...that wasn't worth the money.

Attached: 155250994987698769087.jpg (1015x1361, 728K)

Is that Chris-Chan??

Attached: original_result.png (512x512, 487K)

not goodreads, but a guy complaining that "the complete works of john locke" was too long and not curated to his liking

Attached: as a person & scholar.png (666x522, 148K)

I mean she's not wrong

Attached: mel_gibson.jpg (550x526, 138K)

imagine being a kike, and so used to gentile society worshiping you and saying you're the most important thing in the universe, that when SHAKESPEARE shows some of the nuances of jew/gentile relations all you can think of is "NYEHHHH THIS DOESN'T APPEASE ME OR PRAISE ME, ONE OF THE CHOSEN PEOPLE!!"

Attached: 19e61cfe78b7e698559cddf37c985fd7a62de59c7d7a5dcb110b35174908212c.png (398x971, 93K)

For the love of Christ I don't know how someone can rate a book poorly just because they didn't understand it. That's not the book's problem, it's theirs. I don't know how someone can have so little shame that they brag about not understanding something. Nor how someone can rate it poorly for being "depressing" when that's the entire point. These people should stick to harry potter.
Please stop. I'm female and Count of Monte Cristo is one of my top 20. Idiots come in both sexes.

Attached: brainletism.png (1625x1007, 271K)

>Idiots come in both sexes.

They are overwhelmingly more common, and more smug and self-assured, in the female variant.

I quite enjoy the reviews of people who feel the need to give books 1 stars because they're overrated. Like some woman who gave Paradise Lost a single star, whilst admitting it was an "all right" book, motivated it with "everyone else" revering it.

This one is for King Solomon's Mines.

Attached: King Solomon's Mine.png (634x647, 156K)

That only seems to be the case in your view because women use social media and comment sections more than men. Trust me, there's tons of male pseuds. Just look at Yea Forums for proof.
I wish there was some sort of quality control, but I guess it doesn't really matter. No one pays goodreads ratings any attention.

At least I got a reaction image out of this.

Attached: 32C992AF-BA3B-4474-B4C6-57B2C9102DF6.jpg (908x1962, 189K)

This is actually great

I'm unironically glad that Yea Forums exists to counteract the culture of a place like GoodReads

How could someone read Heart of Darkness and think you weren't supposed to feel bad for the Africans?

Someone lacking in empathy, probably. Or reading comprehension, or both.

Here's the Bookdragon take on Moby-Dick. I had to take two gyazo screenshots because it was so long

Attached: the bookdragon on moby dick I.png (509x1015, 158K)

And part 2.

Attached: the bookdragon on moby dick II.png (498x1002, 137K)

why do plebs all use this weird prose. So many adjectives and prepositions

kek imagine it this isn't a larp or some tranny. Just imagine being a genuine self-aware, probably a whopping 117iq girl and insisting on coming to Yea Forums to bitch that it's Yea Forums but really where else are you going to go. But you insist that women aren't cowlike and stupid even though you know that all of your peers are. And to head you off at the pass of course there are a lot of basically fucking retarded men, however there are an equal amount of genius men. Women are usually strikingly similar, as we can see in the herd mentalities that feminism causes with clustering around pieces of shit because respect wahmen. It must be like being a self-aware black but even black men have a better chance of being a true genius than any woman lmao

Attached: received_422001135260194.jpg (1068x757, 35K)

Good shit

>it wouldn't be weird if in the next years the left create studys that prove white people are naturally bad and retarded

They've been trying to create studies that show black people aren't dumb as rocks for the last 50 years and failed.

Attached: cryptonomicon.jpg (1439x2155, 1.49M)

Hers her profile

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-205041_Firefox.jpg (957x2118, 665K)

This reads like a Norm Macdonald joke

Kek of course she likes the lesbian girl

My absolute favorite of all time.

Attached: TLOTIAT.png (938x289, 63K)

He’s fully qualified to judge Haggard and Melville despite the fact that he can’t spell ‘canon.’

s-source? sounds like burroughs.

a book written by Yea Forums shitposting, a collaborative effort. archive.org/details/tlotiat-chapter1

>Indeed

Attached: 1522557175813.jpg (200x200, 8K)

Huh. Glad I never got around to trying to read it.
>Yea Forums made normies try to read that unironically

Attached: lisa_the_swede_hates_nationalism.png (385x789, 65K)

What book is this a review for?

goodreads.com/book/show/1240309.The_Tree_of_the_Folkungs

This is not a human being. It is a machine.

One of my worst fears is getting screencaped and posted here

Attached: 1546704320225.jpg (1920x1920, 274K)

>there are people who walk around this perpetually asspained about everything in the world
Who raped this woman?

Wow that book sounds really shitty.

Attached: athiest's definition of respect.jpg (1283x554, 139K)

Always my favourite

Attached: miserable.jpg (620x118, 9K)

I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt but this one is hard. I think it's the quantifying of gender equality and multiculturalism that's so uniquely sad with her - that the same person who has surely used 'spirit of the patriarchy' cultural critiques as evidence that every product of our cultural is misogynistic etc. seems to think she can liberate herself from the bogeyman of white hegemony by reading enough multicultural authors.

I gave it one star.

Don't make fun of the autistic kid.
Your were raised better.

Goodreads has its moments

Attached: 208 pages of linebreaks.jpg (646x300, 30K)

what book is it?
The people of goodreads crack me up. It's basically Yea Forums if we had usernames. Everybody would try to seem witty and clever.

Attached: Texan food.jpg (500x437, 32K)

probably poopi kahur book of poetry

I suspected but didn't want to assume.
How is she so big? What's the story there?

>How is she so big? What's the story there?
A smart marketing team and being in the right place at the right time
Ill forever be curious about whether or not she actually buys into her own brand, or if she's just a savvy business women who knows the act brings in the money

Any Goodreads about Harlan Ellison tend to be gold
RIP you cankerous bastard

unironically based.

she's one hundred percent fucking right. Stoicism is literally the philosophy for the cucks peddled by the chads of society.

Attached: sweden.jpg (535x796, 70K)

Kys. Aurelius didn't intend to publish his writings. The repetitiveness stems from the stream-of-consciousness format they were written in. Besides, Books I and II are much different than the metaphysical latter half of the book. Aurelius was hardly a "philosopher" in the same sense that Chrysippus and Epictetus were. He had studied Stoicism but I wouldn't say that it is an all-encompassing representation of Stoic philosophy and it's three periods.

Attached: ge.png (472x309, 32K)

>implying he’s wrong

As much as I hate this, she is actually right and makes a good comparison with translations.

>My life is harder than a gulag prisoner because I’m a woman

Whenever I read a review or article, I always check to make sure what I’m reading isn’t written by a woman

>One of my favourite candidates for this (and last!) year's Nobel, Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, announced his withdrawal early on:
>theguardian.com/books/201...
this is actually a masterful satirical troll account of Michel Houellebecq

Why do women exist?

I like to read most things in a Norm MacDonald voice. Its a great mechanism that turns manic sincerity into detached irony.

merchant of venice is an idictment of hypocrisy tho

It's not. Shylock was a sleazy banker and deserves everything that was coming to him.

If you prick me, do I not bleed?

No, she doesn't.

Not gonna lie the book seems genuinely bad even if her review is a meme masterpiece.

WEW GAL
I unironically started reading Histories about half a year ago and is currently only 60% finished. I will probably rate it two stars and write a similar review when I actually finish it.

This review is hilarious. It doesn't really matter if it's intentional or not, but the implication that it's worse to work at B&N than being imprisoned in Gulag is comedy gold.

Attached: myfacewhen.png (428x510, 176K)

Attached: dante cute teacher.jpg (690x122, 14K)

>I also have a thing for hardbound leather
I'll bet she does.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
based

kinda like how the right treats non whites
makes makes ya think donut

The right in the United States has been wholly co-opted by non-whites. You're delusional if you think they stand for anything other than money, and newflash - shitskins have money now.

>As a person & scholar
>full of stuff
>Surely...condensed version of his principles
>apperently postulated on everything known to man (lol)
>Lets get real

Listen you dip, it's a meme. Stoicism is literally COPE: the philosophy. Anyone please tell me im wrong. It was peddled by roman chads to the plebian masses after a night of rough prima noctae where they would knock up whatever new bride was in town.

>not liking long, epic novels
There is literally nothing comfier than a good 1000 page novel

>Why would Sweden need heroes?
Oh boy

Really?

Not to mention that if it's a good book, like Monte Cristo, you're constantly wondering how the author will fill all these remaining pages, it's an exercise in exploration too.

The idea that white Americans in general treat non-whites differently from they do anyone else is a complete myth. I’ve lived all over the country. The average white person is not a racist. Being “ignorant” because you’ve never spent time around a black person is not the same thing as having disdain for them based on their skin color. The only racism in this country comes from the leftist media

>this is what americans actually believe
USA is racist as fuck, though I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. You should embrace it instead of staying in denial and letting leftists creep into your mind with their identity politics and white guilt.

The Alchemist (Lovecraft)

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (642x303, 52K)

I don't know if it was peddled by Chads. But the fact that one of the biggest stoic philosophers, Seneca the younger, literally took his own life just because his superior told him to. He was, most likely wrongly, accused of conspiring against the emperor, yet did nothing to fight for his innocence. Really says all I need to know about stoicism.

Lol saved

>Didn't like Divine Comedy
>Reason she tried to read it was to lust over a professor

This bitch be going to the 2nd circle pronto

thots 2
dante 0

Attached: Untitled.png (680x213, 20K)

The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra, if anyone wanted to know

Attached: 1001 nights.png (833x463, 90K)

While Aurelius didn't intend to publish his writings, that doesn't change the fact that they were published. Should we not read the work that we have now? I personally enjoy reading Meditations as an insight into the mindset of a Roman Emperor, but most people read it (and bill it) as a philosophical work meant to be read like one. This person was reviewing the work as it is often presented, which is more than fair. Also, is 100% correct. Epicureanism is much better.

I'd like to point out that Caoimhín is a girl's name. Poor chap... Also this a variant of Caoimha, with the "ín" added in the same way "chen" is in German (to make something more feminine and cutesy).

No, she completely misinterprets the meaning of "don't read in translation". Translated books lose some of what was present in the original, therefore it's rather a waste of time to read a translated work when you could read the original (and also learn a new language).

That acid-toungued Ahab? That guy was a real jerk

gangster

a postmodern masterpiece

>I'd like to point out that Caoimhín is a girl's name.
It's the same name as Kevin though

>Epicureanism is much better
You reject one side of the same coin and embrace the other? How is epicureanism any better than stoicism? If stoicism promises fulfillment within the individual and epicureanism promises fulfillment in the external world then both projects are failures.

While I certainly don't agree with it fully, Epicureanism is nowhere near as fatalistic as Stoicism, which is really my key issue with stoicism.

>all the worst reviews are by leftists

why do Yea Forums leftists continue to perpetuate the meme that the left wing are more ""literary""?

>Jilly Cooper
Not gonna lie, I'm intrigued.

Attached: 339218.jpg (256x400, 15K)

LMFAO is this bitch fucking retarded? Why is she using cultural Marxism to review a thousand year old book (idk?) based on Middle Eastern stories? Thanks for posting this. This is why academia is broken beyond fixing.

>so I forced my brain to read it as prose.
I don't get it, I read poetry like prose but aloud. I guess I'm a bit more exact with punctuation, pronunciation and stress and read with a slower steady rhythm/cadence: all things that make you simply a good reader; not unique to poetry. Am I doing it wrong?

What she writes here literally sums up what the Soviets thought when they allowed this book to published. They had no idea how bad it made the Soviets look, just like this dumb fucking retard also didn't understand the book. Thank the good Lord for Yea Forums

Isn't smugly making fun of Goodreads reviews in the same vein of arrogant, self centered criticism this thread is accusing Goodreads of.

This one is the best. Proof of cultural Marxism. These tool are taught Jews=victim and Christians=baddies. They're also taught Shakespeare is the best writer of all time. They realize Shakespeare viewed the Jews as the baddies and the Christians as the good guys, and they get this processing overload that causes steam to shoot out of their ears.

this is a long one

Attached: IMG_20190315_093329.jpg (540x2512, 657K)

it keeps going

Attached: IMG_20190315_093401.jpg (540x2365, 640K)

end of part 1

Attached: IMG_20190315_093601.jpg (540x1545, 388K)

almost there

Attached: IMG_20190315_094127.jpg (1080x4983, 1.89M)

period.

Attached: IMG_20190315_094151.jpg (1080x5479, 1.89M)

it is no surprise to hear people say these books were boring, ignorant, whatever, they are, the importance of these books today is in recognizing their influence, Catcher in the Rye, which i didn't see mentioned here, is the quintessential American coming-of-age story, it continues to be taught in schools because 60 or 70 years have spawned countless plagiarisms of its material and the teachers are trying to get the kids to recognize this novel as the source of all these angry young men, then in some ways Holden Caulfield is really Goethe's Young Werther with a fresh set of sorrows tailored to the 20th century, these stories have captured popular imaginations for generations, examining the works on their own is not sufficient, one must examine them in the context of culture as a whole, Heart of Darkness is an influential book, Apocalypse Now is an influential movie based in part on Conrad, Celine wrote Journey to the End of the Night which, in translation, described blood in the neck of a headless corpse, 'bubbling like stew in a pot,' Cormac McCarthy, in Blood Meridian, describes blood in the neck of a headless corpse, 'bubbling gently like a stew,' No Country for Old Men is a Best Picture winning film based on the Cormac McCarthy novel of the same name, all the while countless pale imitators have sprung up trying to capture the same recognition, this doesn't define culture or America or literature, it's more like mapping a genome, a genealogy of morals if you will, one particular strand of one particular specimen, that can be much more satisfying than reading the thing out of context and projecting your own values on it

just to elaborate, in this video made of segments of gameplay from a recent mortal kombat title, you can see the influence from several sources of violence, including animated blood bubbling gently from the fatal wounds inflicted, johnnie cage bashing in an opponents face on the concrete much like a scene from the infamous 'Irreversible,' tendons pulled from the extremities reminiscent of Nightmare on Elm Street part 3, these guys obviously know their canon
youtube.com/watch?v=bUocQmNinHY

Attached: A3qi9kkCQAEbW3H.jpg (600x450, 40K)

Look up "Seinfeld isn't funny"

He presumably suppressed the rhythm that the blank verse (iambic pentameter) would've infused the text with.

"Is this the region, this the soil, the clime,"
Said then the lost Archangel, "this the seat
That we must change for Heaven?--this mournful gloom
For that celestial light? Be it so, since he
Who now is sovereign can dispose and bid
What shall be right: farthest from him is best
Whom reason hath equalled, force hath made supreme
Above his equals. Farewell, happy fields,
Where joy for ever dwells! Hail, horrors! hail,
Infernal world! and thou, profoundest Hell,
Receive thy new possessor--one who brings
A mind not to be changed by place or time.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
What matter where, if I be still the same,
And what I should be, all but less than he
Whom thunder hath made greater? Here at least
We shall be free; th' Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure; and, in my choice,
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.
But wherefore let we then our faithful friends,
Th' associates and co-partners of our loss,
Lie thus astonished on th' oblivious pool,
And call them not to share with us their part
In this unhappy mansion, or once more
With rallied arms to try what may be yet
Regained in Heaven, or what more lost in Hell?"

Surely there's a rhythm, a beat inherent to this text, and surely it requires effort to subdue it?

lmao, I know her.

people like this actually exist? what is it like to interact with her?

this is the kind of review somebody on Yea Forums would write

I've got a doozy

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-13 Sex and Character.png (622x483, 100K)

My brain just wants to puke after reading that. Why do these people exist? Why? Why WHY?

Attached: 1435961953276.jpg (391x960, 48K)

Yeah, but its fun when we do it

At least she is honest.

Incidentally or not this is correct.

This one is quite funny.

>surely there is a book on Locke that has a condensed version of his principles
>buys the complete works of John Locke

But Marcus Aurelius was Emperor. No bigger chad around.

>privileged male
they could have chosen the important work written by the crippled slave of a slave to learn Stoicism but instead chose the meme written by a Roman emperor

>Seneca the younger, literally took his own life just because his superior told him to

He was being cornered, it was pretty much forced suicide in typical roman fashion. And Seneca is well-known for his life of excess as an advisor of Nero. It takes a lot of acrobatical reasoning not to label him as a hypocrite.

Stoicism is not a meme but you have to admit the self-avowed Stoics who had the most politial power ultimately made a rather oor showing of it.

In what way is he a hypocrite? The stoic philosophy is concerned with the internal disposition towards externals, and the recognition that happiness is not contingent on externals. That doesn't mean you can't partake in those externals. On top of that he never claimed he was a sage or free from personal failings. If you believe imperfect people are incapable of teaching truth, not only are you committing a genetic fallacy but you may as well dismiss every single human being in the word.

No, she gets it right. The meme is that you shouldn't read in translations. Obviously you should try to read the original if you can, nobody ever denied that, but forbidding yourself to read translations when there is not better alternative is completely retarded. This is what the meme is about and what she rightly objects to.

One has to be completely ignorant about the history of Western literature to ignore the importance that major translation have had on the genesis of many major works.

> If stoicism promises fulfillment within the individual and epicureanism promises fulfillment in the external world then both projects are failures.

But that's wrng you fucking faggot, epicureanism also promotes fulfilllment within the individual, it just goes about that goal in a differen way than stoicism.

>handpicked reviews on goodreads are by leftists
>therefore there is less literary quality in the whole left vs the whole right

You need to take 10 min to think hard about the structure of reasoning you're using here.

>Monte Cristo
>Ignorant and boring
w8 m8

She's explicitly saying you should take into account the context in which it was written, so you're actually agreeing with her here.

>privileged male in a dominant culture
Why must women always judge the past by the "standards" of today?

I find him a bit harsh and he really goes overboard with his mention of slavery for not apparent reason, but judging from the extract the spirit of his review is right.

Attached: goodfaps.png (639x129, 13K)

fucking white bitches and astrology every fucking time even in their movies lmfao wow

based and kekworthy

Attached: epic.jpg (522x3090, 459K)

And did the protagonists deserve everything they received?

eh, this one is so egregious its probably just a dumb teen that grew up with impact font meme nonsense.

1/2
In what interpretation of "virtue" does indulging in notorious, superfluous excess while seeking the patronage of a depraved sovereign doesn't constitue an unvirtuous behavior ?

>That doesn't mean you can't partake in those externals.

The claim that what you do shouldn't matter to Stoics since it's all about the internal is retarded.
You're supposed to mind what you can control, and Seneca could certainly have reined in his urges at least to some extent.

We're not talking about someone who liked to eat cake, we're talking about someone who expressly ordered, on pain of physical punishment, for dozen of citrus-tree table to be made just to fit the theme of a party he was throwing in the next few days. A Hollywood actor doing that shit today would be derided as wasteful if not crazy, why shouldn't this raise eyebrows coming from one of the most famous Stoic in history ?

> If you believe imperfect people are incapable of teaching truth

I would be wary of taking advice on virtue from a depraved person, yes. Seneca's behavior was reminding of the tyrant Greek philosophers had warned against since Plato.

>not only are you committing a genetic fallacy

All our assessment of truths rely in some way on how we got access to those truths or on how acting according to those truth play out in reality.

A person being stupid doesn't invalidate his sayings but it would rightfully make you more suspicious of them.

And if you think you can always assess the validity of a claim based on that claim itself and nothing else, why care about Seneca at all ? He's only read because he's considered a Stoic and Stoics are considered to be good advisors. The genetic fallacy is profondly ingrained in the reverence for tradition itself.

If you don't care you might as well ask advice from a random person in the street, or from a random book, heck even from one of those "wise sentence generator" over the internet.

>but you may as well dismiss every single human being in the word

Being the bitch of a deluded tyran is the same thing as having all-too-excusable huma flaws now ? With this kind of relativism there is no point in even distinguishing virtuous behavior from corruption, and the label "Stoic" might as well be discarded altogother (granted stoicism eventually became a huge popular cult and it's dubious most of its members were really virtuous, but thats's besides the point here).

Again, we're not just talking about someone who felt short of being the proverbial Sage of the Stoic tradition. The average New York hedonist could wish he had Seneca's capaciy for excess.

>In what way is he a hypocrite?

Basically all of the above. Someone advising restraint and self-control while indulging in extremely profligate pleasures with his tyrant buddy sounds a lot like the textbook definition of hypocrite. It's no fancy of mine, but actually a long-standing debate among scholars, listen to this:

historyofphilosophy.net/seneca

Also note that while I took time to answer your critcism about Seneca's doctrine, this is not at all what I was talking about in my first post. I was contesting the idea, put forth in , that Seneca's life is a good example of a Stoic life in the ancient sense. You could hardly find a worse example among self-professed Stoics. Likewise my claim that Stoics in power didn't deliver what you would expect of them is hardly contested by Seneca's tenure as an imperial advisor.

I don't read people when they respond to individual sentences.

You don't need to justify your intellectual laziness here user, it comes with the place.

I asked a very simply and direct question and wrote a bunch of nonsense. I don't read posts who quote and respond to individual sentences precisely because it's intellectually lazy. If you're not willing to put in the effort to write your post in a coherent way, why should I put in the effort to read it? If you don't know how to make it known what you're responding to without quoting sentences then don't bother.

>oy vey
indeed

this one is based
meditations is ugg boots and a chai latte for men

>a bunch of nonsense
>didn't even read the post

You must be a peculiar reader. Do you also skip any chapter in a book you read if it has quotations or is longer than 10 pages ?

Anyway you aksed in what way he is an hypocrite and then added three other comments, and I answered all of that point-by-point. So I don't see where you have any room to complain, my two posts together are shorter than a single page in pocket book format, if you can't even bother with that why bother dicussing stoicism at all ?

And if you only wanted me to answer your first seven-word question why write a three lines response ?
Again there were actually multiple point in your post, my assumption all was that all of them were to be adressed.

The idea that I'm the one being intellectually lazy and not structuring my argument when I make sure to isolate every single one of your arguments and answer to them one by one is rather ironic. Quoting the person you're answering to is also standard argumentation procedure in most form of discourse including Yea Forums posts.

And the point is also to make the answer more understadable for you, I really don't understand how writing a long answer without mentionning which points I'm adressing would make things any better. I could replace the greentext with quote marks, what difference does it make ? A post is still made of several sentences, and when each of them convey a different point it makes sense to answer to them separately.

So not only is your refusal to read my post rather strange, your justification for it sounds dishonest, or perhaps stupid. It would have frankly been more straightforward to just say "nigga I'm not gonna bother with your long-ass post lmao".

Finally, if you wish to have a simple answer to your first question about Seneca's hypocrisy, it is right here . I admit that I forgot to put the 2/2 I intended in the beginning, maybe this will cause you to disregard that post and maybe the whole thread, who knows ? But at least the answer is there for those interested.

To make more men

For future reference, stop putting spaces before the question mark. You're a bad writer and a sloppy thinker so I have no desire to interact with you in a real way.

Nah, it's a book you need to read when you're 18. Same with The Brothers Karamazov. It's a literary rite of passage.

It would be easy to make fun of how you have nothing better to answer than a snide comment about question marks, but mostly I'm wondering why you even pretend to care.
Down to the teacher mannerisms ("for future references"), as if you were concerned about my writing when you obvisouly haven't bothered to do more than glance my posts (if that).

I know this is Yea Forums, but you could just have escaped with the usual Yea Forums response "nigga stfu" or whatever. Instead two answers but not even at attempt at providing content.

I may look like a fool typing all this in a goodreads thread but at least I'm using my time on Yea Forums trying to formulate arguments, have worthwhile discussions to the extent that the place allows. But what are you even doing here ?You just spouted "genetic fallacy" and then went half-assed denial.

Whatever, it's your life, but I'm genuinely puzzled.

Nonetheless it was a pleasure to derail the thread with you.

Proving Weininger's points though

moar

based Julie

This. And it's actually hilarious.

Based

>based review
So are you a woman, non-white, or a self-hating cuck?

Have sex

Definitely self-hating cuck.

The vast majority of American society has always been this way. Dull minded, shallow, lazy, uncomprehending, with no skills in critical thinking or analysis, and no motivation to change what the are. Goodreads just allows it to be concentrated in one website.
The average Goodreads reviewer is the target market for things like Harry Potter, sparkly vampire and heart throb werewolf trash, and Rupi whatshername poetry.
Pic related.

Attached: all is lost.jpg (500x365, 21K)

This thread basically proves women are nothing more than vapid children.

tlrd?

>universe where the speed of light traveling is possible
>women still believe in astrology
lol

I bet $100 that all these women have Harry Potter in their libraries with a 5 stars rating

Why would you stop there , you're so close and already spent a month

Good review.

Attached: hogg.png (1238x703, 203K)

Made my day user

Attached: cddc7014595e11401551c7c1cf3a6066.jpg (500x333, 48K)

To be fair, "why is there poetry that doesn't rhyme" is a common thread opener on Yea Forums as well. I try to brush it off thinking it's spics and people pretending to be retarded, but it's harder and harder.

Get aids.

show tits

are you allowed to make a comment without a rating on this site?

Why do I want her pussy wrapped around my cock after reading all that drivel? I really want to penetrate her vagina with my errected dick now. Can you tell my Yea Forums?

>stop having on topic fun
you must be a real charm to be around with, nigger

>tfw there are more people on Yea Forums that have read Goodreads reviews than there are people who have read books

Attached: 1033637348410.png (357x310, 172K)

This is one of those faggots who will still proudly display this book on his book shelf. Disgusting reddit trash

This guy is the intellectual equivalent of an atomic bomb.

buk

This is why I'm gay.

There already are studies showing blacks are naturally bad and retarded so...

>That's the last time I take advice from Hannibal Lecter
That got an authentic lol out of me.

You can immediately dismiss the opinions of people who pull that face in social media profile pictures.

>one star
>shelved under did-not-finish and will-not-read
>Yea Forums: lmao he's right tho
Is Yea Forums the stupidest board?

Yea Forums and Yea Forums are high intelligence boards, Yea Forums is almost /soc/ tier

,':^/