What translation of Demons should I read ?

What translation of Demons should I read ?

Attached: 378354_481013775251671_1419577125_n.preview.jpg (500x640, 279K)

One where the title isn't wrongly translated as 'Demons', that's for sure.

Never understood why they translated it like that. Fucking anglos, the name is Besy. It means IMPS.

Бecы translates as Devils or Demons, maybe Possessed if you want to stretch it .

NO

What then ?

Bump

P/V translation for everything. Don’t listen to the nay-sayers.

The one that says Brothers Karamazov or Crime and Punishment on the cover because that's the only two books you need to read from Dostoevsky

Because they are the only ones you read ?
Fool

Inb4 the eternal monolingual anglo comes and tries to argue that 'Demons' is the correct translation of 'Бecы'.
Both 'Devils' and 'The Possessed', while also limited, present more interpretative advantages.
Literally anything other than P&V

Like ?
Should I ho for the older translations like Garnett or the newer ones ?

So you’d prefer a title be “interpretative” over being correct? This is why I won’t take your translation recommendations seriously.

Literally anything will do because the translation mania is for the most part artificial and counter-productive.
I consider all English translators to be equally limited, which ends up in either the smoothing-out of Garnett on one side and the marketing of P&V's equally faulty approach. I read Besy in Russian and Polish, and only compared bits of a few English versions for it and other novels, however of the parts I checked and from my lecture of other novels, I tend to like Oxford editions as safe bets.
Behold the angloid.
>"chooses interpretative over correct" Right, because the use of 'Demons', substituting a word that doesn't exist in English, isn't an interpretative choice. It can be correct if a 'demon' has a similar set of connotations for a reader as a 'бec'. I'd argue it doesn't for reasons I'm not willing to waste time developing on a monolingual anglos support forum.
That said, I'm curious to learn how it is you'd translate the word 'дeмoн' to English. I'll wait while you copy-paste it to google translator.

Fucked up the green text.
>"chooses interpretative over correct"
Right, because the use of 'Demons', substituting a word that doesn't exist in English, isn't an interpretative choice. It can be correct if a 'demon' has a similar set of connotations for a reader as a 'бec'. I'd argue it doesn't for reasons I'm not willing to waste time developing on a monolingual anglos support forum.

Not him but
>У cлaвян в хpиcтиaнcтвe дeмoн — cинoним cлoвa бec
From wikipedia
Unsurprisingly synonyms have the same meaning.

What is it really called in russian?

Magarshack or MacAndrew

Бecы(Besy) plural of бec, synonym of Дeмoн . Both meaning demon or devil.

>he needs a translation

Attached: 1374322557767.png (281x244, 142K)

Is there a translation in binary code? I'm pretty sure it would make the whole plot clearer.

I'm working on it

Ye alright, but Dostoyevsky valled the novel Besy, not Demons and if we go that route, we can also find дьявoл,or чepт as synonyms. Does that mean an that every bes is a chort and so on? That's why I insist on taking interpretation into consideration. Garnett wasn't totally crazy when she went with 'The Possessed'.
This discussion is pointless though, because there's obviously different frames to use and it's pure autism to continue this discussion. As for the translation itself, I remain sceptical of P&V.

Дьявoл is literally The Devil as in Satan from Christian religion.
It's not a synonym as demon and bes.
I never said P&V is the best translation, in fact I didn't read it at all.
I simply don't see how Demons and Devils are not as accurate of a translation as The Possessed.
I guess you mean it lacks interpretative value, but I disagree.
Anyways it's pointless as you said.
Garnett is a good translation btw.

Im not learning runes

>not knowing at least 3 types of runes in 2019