Dante's Divine Comedy

Is it difficult to understand without foreknowledge of Greco-Roman literature?

Attached: 1551640874282.jpg (689x1000, 97K)

Get an edition with footnotes or endnotes.

I'd like her footnotes and endnotes if you know what I mean

Imagine the smell

you are gay

?????

cute and hot girl

Imma be real witchu dawg. Yes it is

I'd divine her comedy if you catch my inferno

just read pic related instead

>t. Guenonfag

Attached: 31m9+CmY9AL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 14K)

A lot of people he shows being punished are from Greek and Roman literature, so if you know who they are and what they did to deserve their punishment you will probably understand and enjoy the poem more.

It’s a guy

i wish

I suggest you read the Enid first.
You should probably also familiarize yourself with Dante's life and the historical context the book was written in.

Yeah, there's a great deal of shit you need to read.
Most of the time even footnotes aren't enough.
Get a text book edition of the Comedy if such a thing exists in english.

>I suggest you read the Enid first.
Yes, I second this. Pic related

Attached: the_three_golliwogs.jpg (1652x2400, 224K)

it's difficult to understand without foreknowledge of italian

I am sick and tired of this. Every day I come to Yea Forums, and every day there is at least one thread up with an OP image of an attractive woman dressed scantily and posing seductively. It's probably the same one or two people who do it honestly. Let me tell you something, you faggot pieces of shit who are doing this: you are the poster child for everything that is wrong in literature, art, and society as a whole today. You are incapable of coming up with anything creative, thought provoking, or of substance, and you lack even the smallest modicum of intelligence, so you use "style" and "flash" and pizazz in place of it and to draw attention to yourself, because that's the only way your SHIT "creation" and ideas would ever get seen by anyone. And before you say anything, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I don't have a girlfriend. Anyway, I will be petitioning the owner of this website to ban your asses, so enjoy being able to post here while it lasts, because it's not going to last long, just like you that one time you convinced an obese girl to let you fuck her.

You should at least be versed in Christian theology, the Aeneid, and Metamorphoses. And/or get an edition with extensive notes like Hollander or Durling.

>this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I don't have a girlfriend.
i see

Attached: 1542289587689.jpg (818x1024, 184K)

There's too many women in the world.
I think it's high time we just get rid of them.

Sorry, english is not my first language, i'm dumb

Assuming this isn't just an excuse for Jezebel posting and you're seriously asking, yes, the Divine Comedy is hard to understand without that background. But Dante is so dense with that stuff that even a basic knowledge of classical mythology isn't enough to understand everything, and you can pick up on a lot of it from context/notes in a good edition that I'd say you should just go ahead with it. "Hard to understand" does not mean "impossible to understand."

She's perfect!

You won't get any of the jokes without background knowledge. It is a comedy after all.

Attached: 1386356191636.png (502x501, 236K)

>tfw I will never capture this aesthetic in my real life

just deal with it.

not everyone gets to have 9/10 girls

You need to understand Italian current events from the period

Not talking about the girl per se but just that aesthetic, those colors, that setting, that compsition, that fashion.

dante didn't read homer until after he introduced him in the poem

Italian friend of mine opened it and started laughing. Explained how the language describing a family with a bird-like name as bird-like had a chattery rhythm that sounded like a flock of small birds. Jokes in Italian are really good, but you don't get it when it's explained.

She looks so wholesome i want to sodomize her

She appears to be holding a book by de Sade, so you might be in luck.

Mapkuz ge Cad?
>pesky russkies