Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on /tg/. Should I get into Warhammer? I know next to nothing about the series...

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on /tg/. Should I get into Warhammer? I know next to nothing about the series, but like what little I've heard on imageboards about some of the main themes. What are some essential books to start with?

Attached: golden_throne.jpg (800x1200, 233K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/jenniferbosier/2013/04/03/getting-to-know-warhammer-40000-beginners-guide/#349f8043321c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I read that in his voice

PLEASE HAVE SEX WITH ME
PLEASE HAVE SEX WITH ME
PLEASE HAVE SEX WITH ME

WH books are super cringe. Don't read them. Don't think about reading them. Even wanting to read them is dangerous.

I'd post a pic of the sort of person who reads Horus Heresy books and you'd think, 'that isn't so bad, what are you on about' but the true horror cannot be expressed, it has to be experienced. Imagine a schizophrenic aesthetic-fascist just socially conscious enough to avoid outright Nazism, twinned with a communist weeaboo. Imagine a diehard Malthusian fused into the fever-dream version of a Catholic inquisitor. Imagine cosmic horror, perverted by a drunk who read Decline of the West into something 'deep'. All of these things, crushed and twisted into a single, hopelessly autistic human mind, THAT is the person who reads WH books.

Dude they're just fiction lol

So is the bible, the koran, To kill a Mockingbird and Gulliver's travels. I pale to think of the damage the Horus Heresy series alone has done to Western Civilization, let alone the damage it's yet to do. We shouldn't just be thinking about our children and their children but the very future of humanity. All of it is balanced on a knife-edge, teetering on the brink of complete collapse as a direct result of Warhammer.

>All of it is balanced on a knife-edge, teetering on the brink of complete collapse as a direct result of Warhammer.

Kek.

They are just trashy sci-fi. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like. Read them if you want your pulp set in the 40k universe.

Start with the book Helsreach, it's a great representative book of 40k. Then read the Gaunts Ghosts series of books. From there decide if you want more space marine books or more "normal" characters. Space Marines, read the Horus Heresy books, more "normal" read the triple Eisenhorn trilogies.

You can't go wrong with the Eisenhorn trilogy as a starting point. They don't have tons of space marines stuff, but it gives a good view of the inner workings of the Imperium and Dan Abnett is easily the best author in the Black Library stable. If you want something more space-marine-y to start with, try Brothers of the Snake.

I really like some of the older 40k books that are not 100% canonical but very fun:

Ian Watson
>Space Marine
>Inquistor
>Harlequin

Barrington J. Bayley
>The Eye of Terror

Brian Craig
>Pawns of Chaos

Most of the nu-lore stuff that has been released in the past few years is total dogshit. Especially avoid anything written by Guy Haley his shit sucks.

You mean Warhammer 40k. That's the scifi universe. Warhammer is the fantasy one. Read Horus Heresy books 1-5 and go where you want to from there
Sounds based to me

Read the lore, the books are trash

This. reading snippets of lore from different places feels much more satisfying as you build a massive image of the universe as you progress.

My favorite Space Marine chapter is the Blood Angels. Each marine in the chapter suffers from a defect in their gene-seed that makes them susceptible to a particular type of insanity known as the Black Rage or, alternatively, the Red Thirst. In order to temporarily stave off their mental deterioration, each company of Blood Angels is accompanied by a few exsanguinatory priests who collect the blood of the fallen so that they might consume it in a ritualized manner after the battle. You'd think this quirk of the Blood Angels would make them more susceptible to the taint of Chaos, particularly that of the blood god, Khorne, but they have actually proven to be one of the chapters most resistant to chaos' influence even though they are still viewed with suspicion and mistrust by the other loyalist chapters who do not understand their peculiar but necessary practices. But eventually, should the Blood Angel somehow survive the never ending stream of battles, insanity will take him completely and he will be forever lost to insatiable and indiscriminate bloodlust thinking himself the Primarch Sanguinius himself engaged in mortal combat with the Demon Prince, (I forget which one exactly) on MacAree, I believe? At which point his battle brothers solemnly confine him to the Black Tower on their homeworld of Baal, knowing also that such is the fate that also awaits them and looking forward to when it becomes time to form the lost ones into a "death company" with armor painted black and unleash them upon their unholy foes so that they may die in the blaze of glory that they deserve.

>What? None of this has anything to do with me. I just wanted to tell you how cool WH40K is. Why would you think that?

I'm also partial to the technomonks of the adeptus mechanicus. I think the way they repair equipment by faithfully following rituals laid out in holy books, with perhaps only brief flashes of insight from the Omnissiah, is something totally unique to the franchise. Of course they cover their asses by telling the Inquisition that the Omnissiah is just "another expression of the God Emperor's Will," but they've never completely bought that and I too think it is borderline heresy but not without considering that the fact that .............. etc. etc. etc.

Attached: bloodangel.jpg (200x283, 30K)

Try this one
>forbes.com/sites/jenniferbosier/2013/04/03/getting-to-know-warhammer-40000-beginners-guide/#349f8043321c

A few Warhammer books make for decent space fantasy schlock, but most are very, very mediocre, and about as many are offensively shitty. Most of 40k's charm is its setting, and most of how people got into its setting was by talking about it, reading about it, and posting about it online. If you were even peripherally into it, you could pick up bits of knowledge and enjoy its lore etc.

It was a cool setting back in the day. Now it's ass because the company got too big and started streamling everything and turning it into a one-size-fits-all Omni-Product, a process that began already in the early 2000s.

If you really like fantasy schlock in and of itself, and/or you enjoy reading the Lexicanum wiki and of itself, there are a handful of 40k books worth reading for fun. /tg/ is a better place to ask what the generally regarded half-decent books are. Maybe the Horus Heresy series too, if you're into it.

The novel Space Marine is fucking hilarious. There's a part where they fly a dick-shaped boarding craft into the literal asshole of a giant living Tyranid ship

>Imagine a schizophrenic aesthetic-fascist just socially conscious enough to avoid outright Nazism, twinned with a communist weeaboo. Imagine a diehard Malthusian fused into the fever-dream version of a Catholic inquisitor. Imagine cosmic horror, perverted by a drunk who read Decline of the West into something 'deep'. All of these things, crushed and twisted into a single, hopelessly autistic human mind
me irl desu

Many would say the books are mediocre overall. They would be right, HOWEVER the universe really hardens my peepee. Every book I read makes my head spin with ideas, which I incorporate into D&D based 40K ground adventures.

they are bad adaptations of existing genre pieces and literary classics

A future determined by some mediocre sci fi novels sounds pretty based