What language has the best poetry?

Is it English?

Attached: Wain.jpg (442x570, 35K)

I like Japanese poetry but I'm also a hippy.

Ḥumāt ad-diyār ʿalaykum salām
ʾAbat ʾan tađilla n-nufūsu l-kirām
ʿArīnu l-ʿurūbati baytun ḥarām
Wa-ʿaršu š-šumūsi ḥiman lā yuḍām

Rubūʿu š-šaʾāmi burūju l-ʿalā
Tuḥākī s-samāʾa bi-ʿālī s-sanā
Fa-ʾarḍun zahat bi-š-šumūsi l-wiḍā
Samāʾun la-ʿamruka ʾaw ka-s-samā

Rafīfu l-ʾamānī wa-xafqu l-fuʾād
ʿAla ʿalamin ḍamma šamla l-bilād
ʾAmā fīhi min kulli ʿaynin sawād
Wa-min dami kulli šahidin midād?

Nufūsun ʾubātun wa-māḍin majīd
Wa-rūḥu l-ʾaḍāhī raqībun ʿatīd
Fa-minnā l-Walīdu wa-minna r-Rašīd
Fa-lim lā nasūdu wa-lim lā našīd?

Do you have any recommendations for modern Japanese poets? Their work doesn't have to be translated.

I read English and French and I prefer French poetry. English is not a very smooth language.

Unironically Arabic

In terms of word economy and efficiency of content, English is the "best" poetic language if only because of its proliferation of monosyllabic words. We can communicate a lot of precise and detailed information in a very concentrated amount of time, and also our language naturally tends towards an iambic shape anyways, so its perfect for metre.

That said, this is a very cold and abstracted explanation of why English poetics are so popular, so I don't think its an objective measure for quality or superiority, just that English is an incredibly functional and adaptive language to write poetry in

By that logic, shouldn't Chinese or Vietnamese be the best language for poetry?

sanskrit

impossible to say

I'm not familiar enough with either to make that claim, so you could be right. Regardless I think there's definitely an argument to be made that languages which tend towards a better word-to-meaning ratio have superior poetry than a language like german, for example, which relies on some really obtuse and uncomfortable phrasing. Poetry is (for me, at least) supposed to be a crystallisation, concentration or absolute refinement of thought, so any poetry that embodies a linguistic excess is inevitably going to carry less impact

Latin and English

Bulgarian poetry.

English poetry is generally very "clear" and true to the author's intentions. Maybe too monotonous and straight to the point.
It's not very fun to read aloud

Italian poetry uses lots of word play, allows a great deal of labor limae so you get a multi layered composition that leaves room for interpretation.
It's also suggestive and grand at it's best.
In a sense it's the most architetonic of all (with latin).

Latin poetry is everything I said about poetry and more.
Requires great skill to be read aloud tho.

French is smooth and velvety, pleasant to hear and read.
It can get very emotional at times, but it's always clear and enjoyable .
French should be the (no pun intended) lingua franca in europe and thought in schools.

Ancient Greek is the pinnacle of poetry.
I won't accept different opinions.

Russian

Taught *

You mean Persian right?

天生萬物養於人
人無一物回於天
殺!殺!殺!殺!殺!殺!殺!

my favorite poem that I haven't even seen in original is
The romance of water and wine, so my vote goes for Spanish, but of course there isn't such thing as best poetry.

>supposed to be a crystallisation, concentration or absolute refinement of thought, so any poetry that embodies a linguistic excess is inevitably going to carry less impact

Jesus christ, that's the most pseud thing I've heard all month. You clearly haven't read a lot of poetry or else you wouldn't say something so fucking stupid. There are a myriad of things that poetry can have as a goal, as there are thousands of styles of poetry.

French.
>Baudelaire
>Mallarmé
>Rimbaud
>Villon
>Verlaine
>Hugo
>Peste Noir

Everything else on this thread is wrong. Fucking bunch of incels.

Your argument is nice (I say this without sarcasm) but you could argue the opposite, that poetry is about the words weighting more than the thought alone, or that the thought are better expressed in a more explicit langage.

For instance English is very economical but often fail to clarify the implicit relationship between words, which can often cause confusion, while in French specifying those relations is almost always a requirement unless there is no ambiguity.

Either arabic or any romance language. Let's be serious, counting syllables in English is absolutely retarded, and poetic syllables are everything when it comes to writing verses. Monolingual anglophones are pathetic, I'm sorry to say.

Definitely Portuguese

>languages which tend towards a better word-to-meaning ratio have superior poetry than a language like german, for example, which relies on some really obtuse and uncomfortable phrasing
German is an incredibly precise language, wtf are you on about? Why do you think that there are so many great German thinkers and philosophical terms? Honestly I don't think that you can even speak German
>Poetry is (for me, at least) supposed to be a crystallisation, concentration or absolute refinement of thought
wew lad, just wew

>Er denkt unironisch, Philosophie gleiche der Poesie in irgendeiner Weise