What is the best version of The Histories by Herodotus?

I read the penguin classic Fagles translations for Homer, what translation for Herodotus?

Attached: image-20160519-30707-1virx9o.jpg (237x367, 12K)

i quite like the landmark editions of herodotus and thucydides. The translation is fine and it has maps and other fun stuff.

this

Attached: A1OEaZgPKpL.jpg (2033x2560, 1.07M)

This. Like a Criterion dvd with the supplements

Waterfield is the best translation, but the landmark translation is OK too. The landmark is nice because it has lots of maps if you aren't familiar with the ancient layout of the area. It also has 20ish essays in the appendix.

The Landmark is just so damn nice. I do like Holland and his translation, but it's a distant second place.

Third*

I've been reading the Oxford world classics version, translated by Robin Waterfield
translation matters a whole lot less with Herodotus than with Homer, for obvious reasons
so any of the major publishers should be fine, the landmark editions are indeed very cool with detailed illustrated maps and probably way more endnotes if you're really into that stuff

Op here, sounds like land mark edition is the way to go. I am familiar with Greece but not Asia minor and other Persian territories so maps would be very helpful
Thanks

How is the penguin classics deluxe edition

de Selincourt. Landmark translation is shit.

learn greek you fucking pleb

These books are the peak of aesthetics

user stfu you don't know Greek either

Oxford World Classics version has an awesome cover.

Attached: The Histories.jpg (324x499, 55K)

Herodotus really isn't worth the effort to read in Greek. Don't get me wrong, I love him dearly, but he writes in prose and his Ionic dialect is a pain in the ass. Maybe I just tried reading him too early in my Greek education though.

The best version is the original, you fucking spastic. Sperg-tastic thread.

user please turn off your face and leave the world wide webs presense

which manuscript do you prefer? I'm fond of the Codex Angelicanus myself

This. Make sure you get the hardcover version.

Landmark editions are the definitive editions of the ancient histories.

>Landmark editions are the definitive editions of the ancient histories.
Why? Penguin deluxe has maps too