I don't get it

I don't get it.

Attached: Zeno_Achilles_Paradox.png (1050x1050, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It makes a logical error in assuming space is infinitely divisible. As it is not, Achilles would have to eventually pass the turtle, or stay still.

Space is indefinitely divisible

Logical space is, physical space is not. I get though it's not meant to be taken literal, I was just being autistic.
I always took the meaning to be that half measures get you nowhere.

What's the smallest unite of physical space? Whatever it is you can divide it by half, because space is indefinitely divisible.

It's a misunderstanding of the infinite series 1/2, 1/4, 1/8...

Humanities-educated pseuds will say this doesn't explain the paradox, but their argument is ridiculous. A mathematical model is used for any measurement, if you can accept than an arbitrary length is 1 and that half of its length is 1/2 then you can solve any apparent paradoxes mathematically.

Let's assume Achilles is standing at point P while the turtle stands at point P1.
By the time Achilles reaches P1, the turtle has moved to P2. Of course the distance from P1 to P2 is closer than the distance from P to P1, which means that Achilles is now closer to the turtle than he was before. However he still hasn't reached it yet.
Now, by the time Achilles has reached P2, the turtle has moved to P3.
Etc.
It's not wrong or anything. It would be wrong to deduce from it that Achilles will never reach the turtle, though.

Are you saying that if physical space was infinitely divisible, Achilles wouldn't pass the fucking turtle? How fucking come?

who cares? calculus I resolved it.

Space isn't infinitely divisible unlike what math claims. Math is ab abstract concept. Just increase turtle's value by 2

Google planck length

Where do you want to get it? In your mouth or in your ass?

Conflates logical time with real time. It takes infinitely many logical time-steps but these do not correlate with physical time except as an infinite geometric series

Motion, as all human concepts, is an illussion.

Buy a mirror and write ”brainlet” across the top.

>human concepts
Id love to read a non human concept

Read this then

Attached: 51CeYGN+c0L._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (308x499, 42K)

This "paradox" is so retarded. When I was very very young I thought something similar about the phrase "the straw that broke the camels back" and thinking about how time could be divided to the point where any movement is basically teleportation and how the way atoms mean you never actually "touch" anything for real unless you're like on fire but nothing so autistic as this "paradox"

wow man you were a pretty smart kid huh

What is calculus?
What is the limit of an infinitely shrinking function?

Achilles reaches the turtle. Who ever is saying "logical" space never took calc 1 in college and has no idea how wrong they are. Even in pure mathematics, the space between them is considered to go to 0 eventually. This might have been a paradox before Newton but no longer

I had like kids science fact books and encyclopedias and shit. I have always hated this "paradox", the the book Godel Escher Bach and Wittgenstein.

Thats average intelligence for a phd user

To go a distance you first have to go half that distance, to go half that distance you have to go half THAT distance, then half THAT distance ad infinitum

Movement would be impossible, you would never get anywhere because the very first step would be an infinity of distances to traverse.

oh dear, sorry, i forgot to attach a big brain wojack to my post
how ever else would you have discerned the irony

Then why can I run past turtles?

I just don't give a shit retard. If this kind of assinine hair splitting is appealing or interesting to you you are quite literally a brainlet who had had to read other brainlets to have had a grasp on why you had had to to do it. Faggot.

Attached: received_372398276678390.jpg (639x437, 32K)

the brilliancy of your young mind now
an incandescence, unbearable to behold.

So was Zeno implying that at some point space is quantized, otherwise every kind of movement would be impossible?
I swear to God I don't freaking get it.

All Zeno was saying was that movement is a paradox, he "disproved" movement.

I don't think he was implying anything other than it makes no sense that we can move

and how the fuck did he explain movement? Wtf was is endgame

He didn't explain it, that's why it's called a paradox. Quantized space could certainly answer the question. A lot of people say that convergent sums solve the paradox, but they miss the point that this is about an infinite sequence of tasks to be performed (e.g. try writing out a convergent sum in full). There are other answers, do some reading.

You are wrong. Infinite sums can converge in continuous spaces. All you need to know to understand Zenos paradox is that the geometric series converges.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series

They're igloos. Humans make upright igloos, and turtles make inverted igloos. But this is all a bit over your head.

I thought it was because 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8... is a convergent sequence

thanks but unironically. sorry you were a retard as a child and think Witty is witty

OH SHIT I'M GETTING IT

It is an ininite sequence of tasks, but because the geometric series converges for this base value, the infinite sequence of tasks can be performed in a finite amount of time.

Lol that guy is talking nonsense tho.

a dazzling, dancing decantation;
divide, and then--decimate!
a tenth myself, now ten again
and trembling.

No, this is why the notion of a supertask exists. Not an original thought, you just convinced yourself that you've solved the problem when you haven't, or haven't necessarily.

I thought Zeno created the paradox problems to help show that Paramendies was right about the hole the One is everywhere and no where. Least thats what u get out of Plato.

No because
>A series is convergent if the sequence of its partial sums tends to a limit; that means that the partial sums become closer and closer to a given number when the number of their terms increases.
It tends to it, but it never reaches. In math we can say it reaches it at infinity, but how would it apply to the physical world?

This book has 2 great fart jokes in it.

Supertasks, there it is the motherfucker. Thanks I was looking for this concept.

Perhaps he meant only that the thing and the measure of it are too easily confused when spinning a scenario. In any case, examples of that whenever "use" or "purpose" are used or implied are goddamn endless, and in the end "all our devices are overthrown" by our impulses.

Space is definitely invisible.

this isn't at all about divisibility of space you brainless retarded pseudo-intellectual of the highest caliber

Sum of infinites can be finite if you look at it from "higher" perspective, however when one calculates it manually one would never be able to finish.

What is there to get? Both velocities will approach zero and they'll both have echausted their energy at the same spot, because the turtle was given a head start.

watch me
A T
0 10
2 11
4 12
6 13
8 14
10 15
12 16
14 17
16 18
18 19
20 20
22 21
24 22
26 23
28 24
30 25
32 26
34 27
36 28
38 29
40 30

>of the highest caliber
Fuck yeah, #1

read a fucking book
this debate was settled over 2000 years ago

Please enlighten us senpai

>There are people posting right now who don't know the difference between the indefinite and the infinite, and who don't know that space is necessarily characterized by continuity in its nature

Attached: IMG_6777.jpg (203x309, 11K)

>I'm smart and ur all dum dum.
>Not pointing out any one particular argument because don't have argument.

i can only imagine what your argument would have been before electrons were discovered

it's like, you know, how like there's somebody older than you, right? And they're, like, always gonna be older than you, you know? Like, no matter how old you get, they're, like, still getting older too, you know? So, like, you can never catch up to them, because, like, you can't, like, step outside of time and space or whatever and, like, go a few years, or minutes, or seconds even, like, ahead of them. You have to move in, you know, the same universe as everything else, right? So, like, just don't chase after things you can't catch or something. I don't know.

The claim is that you will never reach the turtle because it takes an infinite amount of steps to reach it, but mathematically it can be proven that a convergent series equals a determined value, thus that infinite amount of steps is in fact one single calculated step.
That's how I see it personally, but I see the problem of applying infinities to real world situations.

Achilles doesn't get it either.

It is a convergent sequence because we choose it to be. We chose the limit for it based on our axiomatic rules. It's nothing but a mathematical abstraction

Based Guenonposter. Did you read Symbolism of the Cross? He spends two chapters on infinite divisibility

What are the limits of physical space and time before it gets pixelated?
I know there's a limit in the spatial dimension where weird quantum shit starts taking in instead of our homely macroscopic experience, and also time is quantized if I remember correctly.
My divulgative tier scientific knowledge is a bit rusty desu

We can prove that Achillies continually approaches the hare so you need to make infinitely smaller increments of time in order to continue to produce instances of time where Archillies is behind the Hare. We however process time linearly so it means that we will reach the point in time where they converge on each other.