Books that improve mental health

any recommendations for books to improve my state of mind? maybe something on meditation/mindfulness

Attached: ffffff.jpg (560x386, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/42200718/The_Maudsley_Bipolar_Disorder_Project_th20160206-2230-1nssv6a.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A&Expires=1552493942&Signature=oDWOE+SDbzFdc5LEvMLztPesa18=&response-content-disposition=inline; filename=The_Maudsley_Bipolar_Disorder_Project.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The very act of reading for long periods of time will do much for your mental health. The content itself doesn't matter too much.

I recently got dumped lol. Spend every waking hour reading either a book, course textbooks or dumb forums. Good distraction and helps to not leave myself alone with my thoughts desu

Books have no inherent value that somehow fixes your psyche.
Poor mental health (in physically healthy people) is the result of one or more vices. Art in general only provides a state of clarity that makes it easier to address those vices, but ultimately you yourself have to act on it.
Personally, I think music (mostly classical) is able to provide such a state for the longest period of time. It's a medium that addresses the present moment much better than literature, which is a slow/slower building process, each page of value piling up over the other as you read more.
Out of all the artists known to us, Bach offers you the most and asks for the least.

Dude, see a therapist.

Does that even work?

Mate read Leaves of Grass. Then read Rumi.

i killed my therapist while i lived in singapore because i hated him. i hate everything about hin. his pseud drivel, his worthless self contradicting """"ADVICE""""
HA! Yeeeeeeea doc, right. Of course im going to pump myself full of these magic chemicals you prescribed me. And then all of my problems will go away. First he says its a fucking serotonin imbalance, then he goes off and says its because of my personal life...WELL WHICH ONE IS IT DOC? I DIDNT GET LAID IN HIGH SCHOOL I GUESS IM JUST FUCKED RIGHT? OH WHATS THAT? ITS JUST THE DOPAMINE RECEPTORS FUCKING UP AHAHAHAHAHA OK DUEDE RIGJHT!!! YES! Let me take some prozac and i'll be on my way then. YES! GOOD FUCKING DAY TO YOU YOU FUCKING FRAUD!
I couldn't bear it. Before i took the drugs i was in constant pain and anguish. After i started taking the prozac things calmed down a bit. Felt like a fucking robot but eeeeeeh. whatever. But it took me a few months to realize that whenever i stopped going under the dosage it would all come back. This fucker got me hooked on these fucking painkillers and now GOD FORBID I DONT TAKE THEM IT ALL KEEPS COMING BACK. MEANING I LINE THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES POCKETS BUYING THIS SHIT IN BULK SO IT LASTS ME A FUCKING LIFETIME....FUUUUUUUUCK YOU. I threw that shit in the garbage a looooooooong time ago. I think i beat my illness naturally, i managed to ditch the drugs and i feel better than ever. OHOHOHO YEEEEEEEEAH DOC. I'm feeling great. I'm hip as fuck, son. SO GREAT I FEEL in fact that i'm going to smash your fucking lights out with a golf club, hope you dont mind doc, this might cause a slight dopamine rush! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA. Clobbered the charlatan so hard i had pieces of brain matter on the club. Got out of the office, booked a flight to NY and now i live upstate with my rich uncle. Never coming back to that bugman filled shithole, never coming back to another scam artist's office and most definitely never coming back to prozac baby. I am alive, bitch.

mood

Honestly, Viktor Frankl.
Get better, user

reading is just a distraction.
See a therapist

I recommend The New Psychology by William Walker Atkinson. There is a book for everything, try to pinpoint what kind of improvement you want/need and a book shall be recommended to you. Also check the self improvement thread on /fit/.

Attached: 1491078157166.jpg (1763x2034, 1.08M)

Don't read and contemplate

>see a therapist
read foucault bande d'abruti

But can i cure depression by reading books?

thanks for the responses. don't get me wrong, i don't think i am clinically depressed or anything, just a bit down in the dumps looking for inspiration and methods improve my focus and organise my thoughts better.
i have actually read 'man's search for meaning' in the past and found it to be quite inspiring. it is a book about optimism afterall, and pretty much any scenario seems quite trivial compared to a man surviving for years in a nazi death camp! maybe it is time for a reread.
i'll check it out thanks. my fitness is actually very good, i've been a regular runner for years now. i never have any trouble with motivation when it comes to fitness. reading is a problem though, maybe just because of the overwhelming choice of books i'm never sure where to start.

no

Search for Ítalo Marsili. There must be something from him in english.

I thoroughly enjoyed this.

books are escapism. face reality to improve your mental health

Shakespeare.

based schizo poster. thanks for the pasta

With this you will have the speed to outrun all your issues

Attached: 9826375128090.jpg (900x675, 199K)

No, not at all

I agree with other anons that you should see a therapist first. I'd also recommend getting some exercise, might sound like meme advice but it does wonders for the brain fog and low energy of depression.
As for books on meditation, The Mind Illuminated is top tier.
Funnily enough, actual mindfulness meditation leads to profound insights about the nature of existence, which can be really destabilizing to someone who is unprepared. Mindfulness meditation in a Buddhist context is seen as insight meditation.

This is the single greatest book ever written for the improvement of mental health.

Attached: phenomenology of spirit.jpg (821x1024, 149K)

Read pic. Follow advice.
There's a pdf online.

Attached: TIL.jpg (800x800, 42K)

I was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder with rapid-cycling. I was on antidepressants for about 8 months before I got my first taste of real mania and honestly I really enjoy it (as is to be expected in some cases I suppose). I can read more, my art is better, I'm hyper-competent in mathematics (I work as a mathematician), and I find myself speaking every sentence as some sort of poem or metaphor or pun. That last part seems to irritate others a lot though, which I can totally understand.
I really don't want to go back on the antispychotics I was on when in hospital for a depressive period, because as far as I know they will kill the joy of mania, as well as actually reducing overall cognitive ability (will provide a citation ASAP). I'm scared because the depression is the real issue here, but going on antidepressants is apparently no more effective than a placebo for bipolar sufferers in terms of the depression, and can cause or exacerbate rapid-cycling symptoms (as in my case).
I don't even know if I'm looking for advice in writing this, I think I just had to get some frustration out. I hate saying I have bipolar because of the strange psychosis-related stigma associated with it, and as such I rarely get to say as much.
Is there anyone else out there in a similar situation?

Attached: the early purges.png (327x460, 39K)

s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/42200718/The_Maudsley_Bipolar_Disorder_Project_th20160206-2230-1nssv6a.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A&Expires=1552493942&Signature=oDWOE+SDbzFdc5LEvMLztPesa18=&response-content-disposition=inline; filename=The_Maudsley_Bipolar_Disorder_Project.pdf
"One is the potentially detrimental effect of antipsychotics on cognition in bipolar patients."

you dont know how true this meme is in relation to your problem.

but the problems you are arent your problems , we all suffer.
your problem is having an outlet.
something to decompress.

if you concerned about mental health i strongly advise you to journal. even more so i encourage you to read your past journal entries.

Kazimierz Dąbrowski

Holy- I want more

Agreed.

I'm going to try shilling it on Yea Forums so enough people can read it maybe we can get a discussion going.

Dostoevsky's later works
No Longer Human

is this a good read actually?

Any good CBT books?

mmm cock and ball torture