Stupid question here. Why do you guys think the medieval setting captured our collective imagination? Games, movies...

Stupid question here. Why do you guys think the medieval setting captured our collective imagination? Games, movies, books. The answer is probably obvious and I have my theories but it seems to me like there is some mystery behind it.

Attached: bank-location-novigrad-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 208K)

>To speak politically and crudely, "the romantic school in Germany ... was nothing other than the resurrection of medieval poetry as it had manifested itself ... in art and in life." The longing for the middle ages began in Germany at the very moment when the actual middle ages--the Holy Roman Empire ruled by a German--ended, in what was then thought to be the moment of Germany's deepest humiliation. In Germany, and only there, did the end of the middle ages coincide with the beginning of the longing for the middle ages.
Leo Strauss

Because it slowly went downhill from there. There was such a thing as 'advanced civilization' but man was not as far away from nature as he is now, or generally past the industrial revolution.
Technology gives with one hand, and takes with 10 hands.
It would be ideal if we could keep medicine (not any of the 'advanced' stuff that tries to keep old and vicious people alive for 100 years), the internet as a forum and library medium and go back with pretty much everything. No fake food and the plastic associated with it, no pesticides, no entertainment service (i.e. something that doesn't provide any insight into any matter whatsoever and is only there for you to procrastinate), etc.

Fighting with swords is cool

Victorian romanticism, which was a reaction against industrialization by creating an idealised era where tradition rules and people were closer to nature.

Read Ishiguro's The Buried Giant if you want a unique fictional take on the medieval era and collective memory. The idea is that because so much has been lost to time it lends an unpredictability or mystery to a past which can never be authentically realised today, so it becomes a creative exercise in reimagining what was lost.

I hate medieval settings.
I complained about this on Yea Forums once and they called me a troll but I also don't see the appeal.
It's why I prefer modern fantasy (modern day life but with more cyber immersion, technological advances and magic) instead of medieval.

Its like cool

You probably have something damaged in you, user.

Mostly because of what says

It would be ideal if we could go back, with some of our modern advantages and discarding the garbage.

No, I'm just not European so I don't understand the appeal at all.
If Europeans continued dressing in those silly bright outfits to this day, that would've been cool though. But when I think about Medieval times, I think about a bunch of fat people sitting around a table eating barely cooked meat while their arms fall off due to leprosy so they have to harvest leeches and then ride horses around. That's like the American southwest except our leeches aren't very helpful and instead of leprosy it's lung disease and with better music.

But I'm not european neither and medieval/european setting is my favorite setting.
>I think about a bunch of fat people sitting around a table eating
I think there are a lot more of fat people in the modern world and especially in the United States than in the Middle Ages.

I hear Europeans joke about them being fat being a mechanism to survive in the olden times on the internets. Also, Henry VIII was a chunky boy.

Time was uncountable but records were everywhere. Produced a mystical not-time in living color.
>Twelve hours of day and twelve of night, whatever the season, people of the highest education became used to seeing each of these fractions, taken one by one, grow and diminish incessantly, according to the annual revolution of the sun. This was to continue till the moment when - towards the beginning of the fourteenth century - counterpoise clocks brought with them at last, not only the mechanization of the instrument, but, so to speak, time itself.

The modern incarnation is mostly because of Tolkien. And Tolkien was more than a writer, he was a highly erudite and educated man with a preternatural grasp of the medieval condition.

I WANT TO LIVE IN THE MIDDLE AGES AHHHHHH

Attached: medieval feels.png (1024x724, 1.46M)

Your internet time for the day is up, Ted.

You guys play too many videogames.

I think it was a horrible, ill guided and violent time. And it spans over so many hundred years.

And I'd say that every era has "video game appeal". Or do you have a good counterexample?

theres no video game that takes place in victorian england/france

Dishonored

You fell into my trap of looking for games that fit that era. Thanks for the rec, m8 ;^)