What should I read before digging into this one?

What should I read before digging into this one?

Attached: theDivineComedy.jpg (304x499, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dante.georgetown.edu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you're mom's obituary

an Italian textbook

Attached: 1546631258805.png (369x391, 565K)

I'm sure bible familiarity wouldnt hurt

Your*

yes your gay but what am i

You're*

Legitimately, the King James' Bible

You should start a thread asking for the best translation, watch it devolve into a 300-post dick waving contest, get overwhelmed by the number of differing opinions, and then never read it anyway.

You can just dive in, but I would say at the very least familiarity with the New Testament and facts surrounding the life and death of Caesar would make it more enjoyable

What does Dante know of the KJV?

The most crucial are:
Bible
Virgil
Augustine

your starting to get on my nerves

You're*

What works of Augustine exactly?

Everything, because he is in the limbo between heaven and hell, learning all about it from the man himself.

this might be a strech, but I think Mere Christianity by CS Lewis would fit.

It's an incredibly quick read and it gives you some basic precepts regarding Christianity (and faith as an whole)

i'd say aquinas also

Confessions and City of God

you should just read the Ciardi version and go from there, his notes explain a lot of the references, you don't have to be a scholar to enjoy it

Attached: 61Ml8RHqxrL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (332x499, 59K)

confessions.
also read the vita novo first if you can be bothered.
dante.georgetown.edu
(free Dante supplementary material)

Nothing. Learn Italian and buy Chiavacci Leonardi's annotated version. They're 3494 pages though.

Attached: image.jpg (2448x3264, 1.5M)

Nothing. Just read the Robert Durling prose translations. The notes are so expansive a retard could properly interpret every scene.

>prose
Reported.

Ciardis version better than Hollanders?

And here I thought thick ass paperbacks for commented texts were an oddity.

Attached: classic_1140x768_1768293.jpg (1140x768, 192K)

I can't find that version, is that the same as the one from the I Meridiani editions ?

I see that you've skipped the “learn Italian” part.

Why read an Italians fantasy about him fainting, chilling with his idol, watching his contemporary enemies(literal whos) suffer in hell, meeting his waifu/crush in heaven.

- Get one with all the footnotes, because there a lot of history and cultural references, even personalities of religion, like popes and saints.
- The Bible.

Bible and history of middle ages Italy.

Homer
Virgil, or at least The Aeneid
Ovid, or at least Metamorphoses
Vita Nouva

But most importantly this I can't imagine reading Divine Comedy without extensive footnotes, unless you're an expert on the above mentioned, medieval Christian theology, and Renaissance Italian politics

Yeah, I think it's the same

I just buy books, I don't read.
Thanks.