Is Buddhism basically Occidental stoicism? The more i talk to Buddhists, the more or sounds similar...

Is Buddhism basically Occidental stoicism? The more i talk to Buddhists, the more or sounds similar. Any good every level Buddhism books?

Attached: images (3).jpg (284x177, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahadharmaraksita
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
google.com/url?q=http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/milinda.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiTouOq__zgAhUeoYMKHTAyCDAQFjALegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw11GSfbMLbEc1vFqF2-feCg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, outwardly similar but the inner life will be completely different

read the lotus sutra, hurvitz translation
it's a transcendental scripture

buddhists don't believe in an inner life

I thought stoicism was the Occidental stoicism.

No.
First of all it's oriental euro is occi
Two buddhism is ori plotinism
Daoism is ori stoicism

Buddhism is wholly Pyrrhonian.
The result of some greek philosophers after Alexander's conquest.

Pyrrhon literally studied in India, brainlet. He got his ideas from Hindu mystics. Pyrrhonism didn't influence Buddhism at all. Hinduism influence Buddhism. And because Hinduism influenced Pyrronhism, both Buddhism and Pyrronhism are similar.

The other way round nig

(you)

MahaPrajnaParamita-Sastra, by Nagarjuna
Abhidhamma-kosa, by Vasubandhu

Stoicism is Buddhism with an attitude

Yeah i realized after posting i swapped occident and orient. Thanks for the insights tho

On a tangential note, "the Occident" is a way more based way to refer to what Angl*phones instead refer to as """"""""the West""""""""

I find "Das Abendland" to be the most poetic term; it's a shame it isnt borrowed more as a term in English

No. Buddhism is about letting go of oneself. Minimize (or even get rid of) the ego and the connection to our level of existence to reach a state of enlightenment. This is often achieved with asceticism in one form or another and meditation.

Stoicism on the other hand is about growing the self. Become closer to the gods (or the god), by self improvement, self control and strengthening of the will. A part of this is realizing what is and what is not in ones power to control. And the things that are not in ones power are all things external, such as money, eventual outcomes of actions, the weather, you name it. While the things in ones power are internal, such as thoughts, conceptualizations, mindset, the impetus for action, etc.
Another aspect of Stoicism is living according to ones human nature, which is something they got from the Cynics, though they don't take it as literal as they did. Some forms of Stoicism include "meditations" such as sleeping on the floor, fasting, eating only bread and water for a while. But the point is not self-flagellation or the erosion of the ego, but rather a better perspective on what is actually important and necessary in life.
Combined this might look from the outside like the asceticism and apathy of the Buddhists, but the purpose is the opposite. Grow the ego instead of getting rid of it.

No, they have wildly different views on the universe and the self. They share some very superficial similarities in how they teach you to interact with the world.

Stoicism emerged after Alexander's trip into Asia minor and Greek contact with either outright Buddhists or Sramanic wanderers (gymnosophs--naked philosophers) so likely it is the other way around.

Check out the Buddhist thread that is up right now for entry-level resources.
The anthology 'In The Buddha's Words' is quite good though IMO as an overview of things

Attached: 1552202961918.jpg (2360x5056, 1.81M)

>alexanders trip into India
Rather

There is a close bond between mysteric cults and budhism, temporarily and culturally, as Alexander Magnus's death was cause of the the first, while he was hravily influencing and connecting Greece with orient.

Buddhism, as-is, emerged after Alexander's trip into India.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahadharmaraksita

Buddhists and the ancient Greeks had a close connection, from when Alexander the Great conquered a bunch of lands with strong Buddhist presence.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
google.com/url?q=http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/milinda.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiTouOq__zgAhUeoYMKHTAyCDAQFjALegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw11GSfbMLbEc1vFqF2-feCg

>een the Indians Started With the Greeks

The Greeks liked Buddhism and made some of the first statues and artworks of the Buddha. Here is one of Heracles protecting the Buddha

Attached: hercules_buddha.jpg (983x1068, 572K)

Stoicism evolved out of Cyncism which can be tracked back to Antisthenes, pupil of Socrates.

>protecting the Buddha
more like flashing the buddha