Is being a journalist still the most Yea Forums profession? It seems that back in the old days...

Is being a journalist still the most Yea Forums profession? It seems that back in the old days, it was the perfect way to get life experience, and go on adventures while still writing. Is being a journalist still the best career for would-be writers, or is it dead?

Attached: 254AE618-ACF5-4954-97BF-A6A14E324E70.jpg (220x275, 23K)

I often thought of Sir Henry
Wotton, back in the sixteenth century, saying that "an ambassador is a man of virtue sent to lie abroad for his country; a
news-writer is a man without virtue who lies at home for
himself." For many years I wondered how people could be got
to serve the trade of journalism, but never really understood it
until some eighteen or twenty years ago I read Count Tolstoy's
analysis of the prostitute Máslova's view of her trade, in the
novel called Resurrection. I have known a few journalists, not
many, and have regarded their attitude attentively, finding
them curiously like other folk in general, just as Máslova was
astonishingly like other women; and their view of their
execrable profession was precisely like Máslova's view of hers.

From the day that man first fell falsehood has ruled
the world—ruled it in human speech, in the practical
business of life, in all its relations and institutions. But never did the Father of Lies spin such webs of
falsehood of every kind, as in this restless age when we hear so many falsehoods uttered everywhere on Truth. With the growing complexity of social problems increases the number of relations and insti- tutions pervaded with falsehood through and through.
At every step appears some splendid edifice bearing
the legend, "Here is Truth." Do you enter—you
tread on falsehoods at every step. Would you ex- pose the falsehoods which have angered you, the
world will turn on you with anger greater still, and
bid you trust and preach that this is truth, and
truth unassailable.
Thus we are bidden to believe that the judgments
of newspapers and periodicals, the judgments of the
so-called Press, are the expression of public opinion.
This, too, is a falsehood. The Press is one of the
falsest institutions of our time.

stop trying to be "Yea Forums"

No

Can't think of anything better, can u?
You have to be precise, concise, work to deadlines, keep your audience/readership/editor in mind, accurately and engagingly portray a feeling or a situation etc — so yeah, it's the most Yea Forums profession
HOWEVER if writing is your job then writing for fun might seem like a bore or a chore, it might stifle you creatively when you're taught to write in a box, if you have a career that doesn't involve focused bouts of writing then writing will be more of a welcome hobby and a treat and a recreational pursuit which will make it more enjoyable which will make u pursue it which will make u a better writer etc

If you learn to code.

>HOWEVER if writing is your job then writing for fun might seem like a bore or a chore
this.
i'm a screenwriter. i used to write short stories as a hobby when i was younger, i was even preparing a novel. when i starting writing scripts professionally it just didn't relax me anymore ("and now, after a long day of writing, time to relax... with more writing.") so i just sort of stopped.

the most Yea Forums profession is being unemployed

haha nice meme

It's the absolute LEAST Yea Forums profession. Actually, it might be a bit better than being a lawyer. Journalistic writing can kill you. Really.

explain

My parents were journalists and they actively told me not to do it. The golden age of journalism is dead. Even if you get a job you're probably going to be laid off.

Haha your parents are autistic, what with the spread of fake news authentic written word journalism is more in demand than it's ever been

lotta famous journalists have killed themselves

that’s Yea Forums af

being a journalist is the least Yea Forums profession unless you do independent work that challenges the status quo like Gary Webb. most modern journalists are some of the dumbest mouth-breathing, scum-sucking, boot-licking, fart-sniffing, and knuckle-dragging retards to grace the planet. they're nothing but toadies for a chosen ideology or political faction, one that leans increasingly neoliberal or leftist in this day and age. if you think being fed bullshit by some political operative or a partisan insider with an axe to grind means that you're "preserving democracy", then you need to be sent to the fucking guillotine as soon as possible. fuck journalists.

Attached: asdfasfaoas.jpg (380x250, 13K)

>with an axe to grind
Which clearly you know a thing or two about.

>dfw you wish this was not true
>dfw it really is

Attached: agramadon.png (408x425, 398K)

At least I'm not in a position of power to abuse it. I know I would be a delusional, shitty journalist. Nearly none of the journalists today have that self-awareness.

great post