What are some examples of empathy and loving-kindness in literature that brings you to tears?

What are some examples of empathy and loving-kindness in literature that brings you to tears?

Attached: 26867432_1209307459201372_9141561289347170304_n.jpg (320x320, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aW8BDgLpZkI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Read "A Painful Case" by James Joyce. It's kind of a lack of empathy first and then shift into overwhelming empathy tinged with melancholy.

I just want to dedicate my life to living simply and spending all my time to loving and helping others around me. Careers for this feel?

>tfw high empathy egoist
books for this feel?

A Tale of Two Cities

guys pls give advice

when I see someone genuinely smile, my heart is moved.
youtube.com/watch?v=aW8BDgLpZkI

Then Jesus said, “There was a man who had two sons. The younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of the property that will belong to me.’ So he divided his property between them. A few days later the younger son gathered all he had and traveled to a distant country, and there he squandered his property in dissolute living. When he had spent everything, a severe famine took place throughout that country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed the pigs. He would gladly have filled himself with the pods that the pigs were eating; and no one gave him anything. But when he came to himself he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired hands have bread enough and to spare, but here I am dying of hunger! I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired hands.”’ So he set off and went to his father. But while he was still far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him. Then the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ But the father said to his slaves, ‘Quickly, bring out a robe—the best one—and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. And get the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate; for this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found!’ And they began to celebrate.

“Now his elder son was in the field; and when he came and approached the house, he heard music and dancing. He called one of the slaves and asked what was going on. He replied, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fatted calf, because he has got him back safe and sound.’ Then he became angry and refused to go in. His father came out and began to plead with him. But he answered his father, ‘Listen! For all these years I have been working like a slave for you, and I have never disobeyed your command; yet you have never given me even a young goat so that I might celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours came back, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fatted calf for him!’ Then the father said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. But we had to celebrate and rejoice, because this brother of yours was dead and has come to life; he was lost and has been found.’”

a noble pursuit. But what do you mean help? I believe helping people is the highest form of purpose one can have. You can only help someone so much.

But, have you thought about teaching? Helping the younger generations navigate this world we live in is something i imagine to be greatly gratifying.

I can't teach, I have a speech impediment that prevents me from communicating my thoughts to others well. There's a disconnect between mind and mouth. But I don't really know what I mean by "help". I just know that I've felt lost since highschool, having no clue of what to do with my life, and having no desire for any field I could see in front of me. All I wanted was to help people in some manner. I went to college and am finishing a bachelors in Economics, and while it's decently interesting in a general sense, I really feel no passion for it and still want to just help people. I'm at a point now where I'm realizing how miserable and lost I am, how unaligned my life is to my soul, and that I need to actually do something about it. But I'm not very intelligent, I don't have good future planning skills like others do, and I don't know how to set forward an actionable goal. I don't know what I want to do. But money isn't something I care for. I'd be fine with going around and simply cleaning up a community in some way. I don't even know what I mean by that. Like, just scrubbing the floors or something. Shining people's shoes. Giving people food on their plate. I don't know. Should I join a Buddhist monastery? Or another one of some kind? I just want a simple, peaceful, unstressful, barely-renumerated (money wise) occupation that allows me to directly help people around me without any sort of expectation from them in return.

Can you pls help me? I really don't know how to navigate this territory, or have others I can talk to about it. I'm just lost in life...

bump pls

bump pls pls

Where the Red Fern Grows

Dosto

guys pls help

It’s not low stress, but public defender maybe? I don’t know if you want to be a lawyer, but there’s a lot of people who can’t afford one and need a public attorney.

oh no i could never do law, sorry. not intelligent enough nor interested in it

doctor
social worker
psychologist
therapist

not smart enough for any of those, and they require long education too, and i'm not interested in them personally

go volunteer at a soup kitchen

In East of Eden, when the kid prays "Please don't let me be mean". I still tear up thinking about it.

that seems nice, i'll look into that :) ty

Prostitute

Read Jakob Von Gunten or anything else by Walser. He more than anyone else captures the nobility of choosing to live a tiny life. Good luck on your life journey. I find myself in a similar boat as you and unfortunately can't offer much more in terms of advice.

There are lots of ways to help people. How severe is your speech impediment? You could use your knowledge of economics to help people too, you know?

It's pretty bad. You can tell, when speaking to me, that I'm not "normal" in that regard. And yes I know that, but working in that field doesn't "feel" like I'm helping anyone, to me.

All of those lead to compassion fatigue

Can you not hijack the thread I made into a blogpost?

When the Ancient Mariner realizes how beautiful the water-snakes are as they writhe in the oily sea, and the curse starts to break down.

Attached: coleridge-samuel_taylor-ancient-B20122-41.jpg (1523x2000, 770K)

Yes, sorry...

Well, you dont have to. Do you think there is any way you can overcome your speech impediment? Or is it genetic? I had the longest time talking to people, i would fumble over my words and didnt know how to express the thoughts i had in my head. But I was able to overcome that.

You could always learn a trade and help people through that. Carpenter, welder, plumber, etc.

read this stay on thread topic, this is not /adv/. its always obnoxious coming here and having a thread empty of content // derailed

It's okay, bro. I'll do as implies and go to /adv/ or something. I appreciate it. I don't want to ruin a thread.

Good luck my dude. Everything will be alright in the end. Hope you figure it out.

Yea Forums is just a more intelliglbe version of /adv/

change my mind

thank you so much

bump

Samurai Executioner, vol 4, "season of new straw."

I am a callous asshole; this one kicked me right in the feels.

Any internet manga translate site.

I know manga is pleb.
For this one, dont knock it until you read it.

You’ve been denied a simple agrarian life by capitalists and liberals (classic sense). You’ll now make money for the machine

>Should I join a Buddhist monastery?
Check out the Buddhist thread that's up right now to see if the religion is even for you, before considering dedicating your life to it.

Be a gardener.

Does anyone else just feel grateful to be alive while feeling no hatred for any person whatsoever?

In my experience, so many people regardless of race or gender are genuinely friendly people and nature is a source of endless beauty. A simple life where I can appreciate these things and be useful to those people really sounds appealing to me; the coldness and bureaucracy you find as you climb the social hierarchy really turns me off. Sadly, society is trying it's hardest to making living that kind of life increasingly difficult.

I blame industrialism.

When Odysseus returns and finds out that only one to remember him is his loyal dog: Argos.

"Unable to greet his beloved dog, as this would betray who he really was, Odysseus passes by (but not without shedding a tear) and enters his hall, and Argos dies. The simplicity of the relationship between Argos and Odysseus allows their reunion to be immediate and sincere."

Attached: argos.jpg (272x500, 17K)

Still pissed me off, the injustice of it