Is it not weird how 90% of the canon is about depressing stuff?

is it not weird how 90% of the canon is about depressing stuff?

Attached: 1445206076569.jpg (1920x1080, 744K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gLN_UanuUTs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

life is unbelievably boring and meaningless, it has always been like this. why do you think the greeks loved tragedy so much? because it was relatable. it was the capekino of its time. "look at this great man fall and spiral into misery just like us" warms their heart. the fact that nowadays, instead of tragedy, we get false hopes of heroness, is pathetic.

Who wants to read about happy people, anyway? What's there to learn?

Wow must suck to be you, living a boring and meaningless life. If i'd be you i'd just neck myself.

all good art is born from pain.

Is it tho?

Life is wonderful, so it makes sense to write about sad stuff, because it's peculiar.

True, but good art tends to show ways of coping with the pain. Notice how every "bloomer" piece of fiction is about finding ways to be happy and find hope despite suffering.

Everyone suffers at points in their life. Not everyone feels happiness. Pain is truly the most relatable feeling

False. It's also born from serenity, though I'd say that's hardly the case for literature.
Bach, on the other hand, who is the one greatest artist, makes everything else seem tiresome.

lol pseud detected. No they don't, unless you narrow the definition of art down to depressing art.

Stupid ancient people:
> For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Modern man, developed to the fullest:
> Oh, it's so depressing…

because the need to create is born from attempts to resolve a lack. a satisfied person doesn't need to write a novel because they have no deadlocks to resolve (unless the deadlock is their suspicion that their satisfaction is ruining them)

Many novels were written as an attempt to resolve a purely artisan challenge that had little to do with real world.

youtube.com/watch?v=gLN_UanuUTs

What is people's interpretation of the last line?

Does he compare himself to 'the eternal Jew' as being some kind of eternal pariah that can live on with some kind of undying wretchedness for those who 'gobble'? Or is it simple anti-semitism?

because 90% of life is depressing

>He thinks it is depressing not uplifting

Attached: 1489020768006.jpg (924x727, 78K)

Was gonna ask this too.
First impules seemed more like envy from him than any else, but not sure if that makes sense.

You haven't read the Greeks have you?

I WILL NOT SHRINK AWAY FROM THE PAIN. I WILL EMBRACE IT AND BE STRONGER FOR IT.

Art isn't born from pain, it arrives as the dispensation of pain. British author BS Johnson once claimed that he would write so it'd be out there, in a book, and not in his head. He wrote about the death of a beloved friend in The Unfortunates. In a piece of literary criticism he once called into question the success of Sylvia Plath's poems: "after all, they could not save her." Johnson himself later committed suicide. It's clear there's a need for poetry and artistic expression as a deterrent against hopelessness, but arguably the greatest art is not that which is born from the worst pain, but rather the works which prevent the most people from killing themselves. This expands your narrow definition of art as a claustrophobic torture-chamber into something actually productive.

No. Most of the canon is about the dangers of falling from an idealized existence.

Then we said "fuck it, idealism is it."

Then we said "fuck it, idealism is dumb, no idealism any more."

Then we said "fuck it."

Then we said "that's problematic."

Even weirder is almost no publisher today will publish something depressing, unless you consider The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or Chuck Palaniuk "depressing"

Dragon Tattoo isn't depressing. It's a grrl power shlick-fantasy murdering Hannibal Lector.

Chuck Palaniuk really wants to be Norman Mailer and it's sad.