Less Than Zero

What does Yea Forums think of this novel?

Attached: 9780307756466.jpg (292x450, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/yg6ut
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unironically, it’s terrible. BEE is objectively a bad writer

It's worth less than zero. Read American Psycho, which is hilarious, and then forget about him.

It's a solid book, but not special by any means. Nihilistic rich kids doing nihilistic rich kid things.

what about rules of attraction? I've heard it's better than less than zero with similar themes

The writing was bad and the ideas were hamfisted. It seemed like Ellis was trying to do something with the metanarrative by meandering through the plot hence nihilism, but at best it was meh

Why do you want to read this hack so bad? I mean feel free to waste your precious time but he’s entirely forgettable.

to like get familiar with the hollow, fucked up culture surrounding an American college or something.

>This whole thread
Jeez, Alice Munro, go to bed already. It's like after midnight in Canada.

Go to bed Bret. You’re a terrible writer. The only explanation for your fame is your proximity to Donna and/or some family connection to a publishing house.

I kind of like it.

loved it as a teenager reread last year and was embarrassed for myself

What happened with that thread bee started a few months ago

i mean, i liked glamorama.

Not recommend either as entertainment or something to contemplate. I’m not sure what it says that the plot is so disposable that the movie is almost a completely different story.

why do you like it user i like a couple of BE but that book was such trash

i suffer from depersonalization episodes and i felt like the recurring element of the "camera crew" that cuts in every so often starting out in act ii was an apt equivalent of what i feel like when i depersonalize, and you really don't read much about characters depersonalizing anyway.

i don't even know if this was on purpose, but it really made the book seem a lot more solid that i originally thought it was.

fair answer user i just thought it just felt like a contrived addition just thrown in so it wasn't just yet another
>and I, um, jammed my tongue in her pussy but, um, was really feeling it and i was pulling myself off and i saw a billboard
i get that connection to you're depersonalisation but don't you think AP did that towards the end feeling far more natural and not just tacked on?

Better than Infinite jest (obviously) but worse than American psycho.

Less than zero more like less than good lmaaoooo

it might, i havent read AP. i liked glamorama (or rather i "sympathized" with the book) but i didnt really feel compelled to read more ellis afterwards. i was afraid it'd be more of the same.

BEE posts here, he probably made this thread

Isn't it past your bedtime, Bret?

Sucks. ‘American Psycho’ is better.

Alright, Norm, you've had your fun.

What thread? Archive link?

rules of attraction is great
if you're under 25
a book about the inability to connect in any meaningful way with anyone else

>BEE is objectively a bad writer
how so?

Post-empire post

bad writer, pretty good podcaster tho

thx for pointing me to the Tartt, BEE

I think Bret Easton Ellis is the most self-hating faggot in the universe and he should neck himself.

how do you taper off so hard after writing so well at a young age

Attached: 347BB544-71EC-4474-BCB2-E45DB443601B.png (576x677, 46K)

What a savage. Never get on the wrong side of someone extremely funny.

streamable.com/yg6ut

Watch Norm effortlessly bring a room of comedians to tears

holy shit. norm is a fucking killer. did bret ever respond to him?

Fucking Canadians can’t appreciate Richard Ford

Cringe

So funny to open Yea Forums and see a bunch of incel losers typing about me. Wake me up when any of you do anything noteworthy with your lives, let alone get published, let alone write a best seller, let alone write a modern classic. Getting up out of the chair to go the fridge and heat up the chicken tendies is too overwhelming for you, just give up/

I can understand Canadians being resentful of American authors, I can't understand them not choosing a better representative of their supposed literary genius than fucking Alice Munro.

whoa, Alice.....easy on the tendies

You might also like Twelve by Nick McDonell

I didn't hate the novel, but it made me hate rich people even more than I already did, so I'd call that an accomplishment on BEE's part.

Wasn't the point of most if not all of BEE's novels is that the rich people are a reflection of the consumerist society that they were born and raised in?

I had fun reading it because I was just looking for BEE's ability to write about fucked up shit in a callous way. If anything the sequel is where the shit hits the fan and it just feels flaccid and ham-handed.