Am writing a story set in Canada in the 80s...

Am writing a story set in Canada in the 80s. Never been to Canada or US and I'm scared of writing some stereotype bullshit that will read like a mocking greentext meme.
What should I read to get a better feel of how things were and how people talked? That would also not bore me to death.
Suggesting kino also helps.

Attached: w7uYFhL.png (634x599, 305K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCa6ubtFjOr2zAKTMEIw9tPw/videos?disable_polymer=1
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ctOzHsqvF80
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Watch a movie with Canada

The trailer park boys

Write exactly how you think it would be, stereo types might be shit but they float well, Dracula was written without the author ever being in romania but it was good because his inagery and imagination took his readers into what he thought of it rather than what it was. If you visit canada or watch a movie youll never catch the whole of it wntirely unless you've visited enough to be a local. Sure look up sites and mals but go with the flow.

Attached: 9B936A03-353C-4096-8393-06376BCBF1AE.jpg (962x988, 65K)

Vancouver is California with snow.
Alberta is Texas with snow.
Toronto is Chicago.
Quebec is France without the tourists.
Everything inbetween is a mix of the prairies and Alaska.

Attached: p2mNQ.jpg (540x393, 38K)

If you want it to be realistic you'd have to specify where in Canada you want to write about. Local culture differs a lot from place to place

>Vancouver has snow

t. someone who's never been to Vancouver

Gonna go with Ottawa.

Pretty accurate. Forgot to mention that the prairies are permanent snow hell

youtube.com/channel/UCa6ubtFjOr2zAKTMEIw9tPw/videos?disable_polymer=1

Ottawa is a shit place to live. Really cold, nothing to do, if your not in someway related to the government you're essentially nobody. It's awful

That's great for a story with loser protagonist. Tell me more.

Extremely heavy traffic for essentially a town. The suburbs are crazy far away from the centre of the city. The drinking age in Quebec is 18 so teens from Ottawa drive to Gattineau (the part of ottawa in quebec) to get booze. In the winter I shit you not the city centre is empty and you can hear your foot steps echo off the skyscrapers

Also a dude who lived in the Arctic once told me Ottawa was colder than the Arctic

Just make sure every piece of character dialogue ends with "eh"

"bud" too

So what's some good reading to get a feel for dialogue?

Just binge watch videos of Don Cherry and Rick Mercer

Just add "eh" and "bud" after every sentence.

It's not a comedy, bud.

You're pathetic, cowardly and nobody will ever read your novel. Stop dreaming of the first world, stop trying to mimic a lifestyle unlike your own. It shows in the page, and the reader will not be satisfied with the end product. Why would they bother with the ramblings of some sad third worlder emulating normie Anglo fiction?

Attached: 2l0ahe.jpg (415x470, 39K)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ctOzHsqvF80

The Goler clan was a bunch of inbred hicks living in rural Nova Scotia. Not much use if you're writing about Ottawa but interesting to watch none the less.

Also being from an Ontario city similar in size to Ottawa (London) I can tell you it is the most mundane boring life imaginable to man. Nothing wrong with it, just really boring.

Canada is huge and people are very different across the provinces. Give us more details and a location, you may get more help that way.

Westfags.

our best writers are three: malcolm lowry and louis hémon

Neither are Canadian though

Youre a fucking faggot who is doing nothing but spewing shit, and you eat shit.

Why the fuckw ould you write a story about a time period you never lived in, studied, in a place you never been to or studied.

Just throw in a reference or two to Anne of Green Gables and you should be good.

>Vancouver is China with rain
ftfy

ive been all over canada ask me questions

I do say eh a lot, and call people buddy. There's not much to it, really. watch some Canadian TV from the 80's, not that there's much good stuff out there. For just everyday language you can watch SCTV or History Bites. for a thicker (eastern) Canadian accent watch the Red Green Show. Those are all comedies but that is the only TV we can do well in Canada

I live in Vancouver

It’s an overpriced California with mostly asians and rains all the time

vancouver is second life with physical sidewalks

Attached: WHDVxa7.jpg (1920x1275, 312K)

What does that even mean user

Vancouver is like second life, the video game, but with sidewalks.

newfag

Does second life not have sidewalks?

BRO

I thought second life was just VRchat but for perverts. Anyway I digress

>In the subsidized time of Y.D.A.U.+a decade
>Browsing Yea Forums on a TelePuter
>not following O.N.A.N. lore
>""""Canada""""
>Actually never been to the any of North America Continent at all
>still afraid of and insecure at it

try to track down CBC news broadcasts from that era and note the details. also see if anyone has loaded up home videos on youtube. also old television commercials. but the news/documentary stuff is best because it's rich with details about how people dressed and talked and what they were worried about

Watch Under Arrest, it's on Netflix. Shot in the 90's but close enough.
Also watch

Read some Canadian literature:
>Who Has Seen the Wind (1930s)
>Lives of Girls and Women (1930s-40s)
>Timothy Findlay (various)
Canada is like the US with an English tint.

if some says to you that they are bagged, the proper response is "fucking balls".

don't worry about what it means, it's just meaningless chatter like hey/how you doin

a big deal politically was the constitution's patriation, since Trudeau did the patriation without one of the biggest province's approval.

The kitchen accord

There was a report blaming the activities of the RCMP (equivalent of FBI) in the 70's, when we had the October crisis. The result is removed responsibilities from the RCMP and given to another organization.

There's the two Quebec referendum 1980 and 1995.

As far as how people lived, basically the same as America but a little bit slower economically. USA industrialized earlier.