Books about the life in a monastery?

Books about the life in a monastery?

Attached: Simonopetra.jpg (2288x1712, 640K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qMtyTXDc9Fw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Karamazov Brothers delves into monastery life quite a bit.

>It's another 19 year old having a "life in the monastery" phase

Attached: download (1).jpg (229x220, 7K)

There is a whole chapter about it in Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes by Stevenson.

The definitive fully set in a monastery book replete with maps, timetables and historical shit is of course The Name of the Rose.

I'd also like the throw in a non ficiton callout to the short but very lovely pic related, which is rich in Latin Fetishism and the ways in which outsiders are and aren't allowed to integrate.

Attached: plf.png (950x950, 1.02M)

The Monk

Attached: 1504710201993.jpg (320x320, 23K)

Why does this happen and why did I go through it?

A phase? Honestly I think I am feeling His call. I want to discern.

The Cadfael series,and Name of the Rose.

Attached: Cadfaeltitlecard.jpg (220x165, 6K)

The Monk is great

Also, not a book, but op if you haven't watched Of Gods and Men yet, give it a try. It's very comfy.

When life lacks meaning, monastery or temple life can be appealing. Spirituality gives people meaning and stops them asking existential questions with unsatisfying answers. Also there’s an emphasis on peace and solitude. This appeals to people with little or no social life because it’s a change from modern social pressures.

That is the problem with unaware post modern opinions and its abstractions. It sort of denies humanity, disregards all its intricacies in exchange for what, a volatile sense of knowing better, grasping at the void. Cowardice, be real with your existence, go shit in the woods and dig a well if you have to. Go plant squash and kale, or are you made of plastic.

The Name of The Rose

why does life lack meaning only for 19 yr olds and not for, say a successful 30 yr old

>implying you can be successful at 30
Better shut your mouth Dave, Californian mentality has already damaged your docile brain.

Canticle for Leibowitz. Magic Mountain.

Is this really such a cliché?

Stop taking the internet seriously.

It seems to be a cliché on Yea Forums

what i find so cute abt 4channers is u guys always take the time to stick images beside your posts. it seems like such a hassle but u guys are so sweet u do it very frequently

okay how about wealthy
and what is this californian mentality

>what is this californian mentality
Thinking you can change the world even if you're young, and with extremely low effort just because you """""believe""""" it

how the fuck did they build on rocks like that, any books on that bros? please

giants

ancient aliens

there are monasteries that are built on the sides of high cliffs

Study architecture at uni

>tfw Yea Forums is my monastery

Attached: te.jpg (179x158, 7K)

Came here to say Canticle. Great book.

Black Narcissus

Not life in a monastery but it teaches you to pray like a monk "The cloud of Unknowing"

>it's another 19 year old frogposter posting a dumb frog post

>it's another succession of words pretending to have some comical meaning

Attached: tenor.gif (498x498, 207K)

*honk* *honk*

That fucking gif plus your honk has me dying of laughter

Btw op, read anything from Thomas Merton, specially the seven storey mountain, it's his autobiography and goes from his initial conversion to him being in an Abbey.
I read somewhere that after releasing this book lots of novices had it in their luggage after entering a monastic order

I love you and I hope you keep posting things like this

Attached: 9C8B2893-7C6F-46FB-A8BF-B5CDD2895B3A.jpg (800x800, 90K)

There has been perhaps no greater fissure in the European spirit than the disappearance of the monastery. Contrary to what modernity may tell you, not every man or woman is meant for marriage or even desires to be married, and that is perfectly okay. The monastery was an outlet wherein one could pursue a life of intellectual and spiritual pursuits without constantly being harassed by society due to some perception of deviancy. So too, the loss of monastic influence in the west is directly tied with the loss of ecclesiastical asceticism and thus, the weakening of the backbone of the spirit of Europe. If you read the Brothers Karamazov, you will quickly realize that Monastery of Europe quite literally held together entire communities.
I do not wish to romanticize monasticism but it is undeniable that the decrease in monasteries and the influence thereof have been extremely detrimental to the west. There are now people who, in seeking to spite their solitary minded brethren, obstinately hold the view that there can be no other constitution of a person besides one like his own self, seeking nothing but vanity and the satisfaction of his lusts. They will become angry and claim that a monastic vocation is nothing but a cope, but in reality, monks of holy sites like Mt. Athos tend to renounce everything to carry out the life they have been called to live from the beginning.
youtube.com/watch?v=qMtyTXDc9Fw
I can only pray that the Catholic Church returns to the monastic tradition the Russians and Greeks have so piously preserved.

Attached: 75d17a8fc544ae74568c382dda99b3566ab693250a8f6f64a990775f2d08cdb3.png (960x721, 638K)