Hyperion

Just started marathoning this and I really like it so far.
Do I have to read Fall and the Endymion novels after this one, or will it satisfy me enough on it's own?

Attached: 51 aKU0H8qL._SX324_BO1 204 203 200_.jpg (326x499, 39K)

Read Fall. The Endymion duology isn't as good as the original two imo.

I quickly scanned the US criminal law handbook and found nothing about the legal obligation to read The Fall and the Endymion books. Pretty sure you're in the clear, pal.

Hyperion leads right into Fall, so you would be missing the conclusion if you just read Hyperion.

Fall is really great, Endymion is disappointing in every possible level

The Fall is better, it's ending is amazing and Keats/Severn is a great character
fite me

OP here, so I can safely stop after Fall and never bother with Endymion I understand

Fall is a masterpiece, but Endymion is such a fanfic-tier self-insert wish-fulfillment garbage I can't fucking believe it's by the same author

Endymion books are worth reading if you enjoy the lore of Hyperionverse. The first two books are very focused on the planet Hyperion and only occasionally venture beyond it in flashbacks and through secondary characters, Endymion puts it's characters through the journey on River Tethys (the one which flows through many worlds connected by a system of portals) while a fanatic priest with a posse of improved Shrikes chases them on an FTL ship. You get to see Ouster hives, a Dyson Ring made of organic matter, ocean world full of leviathanian sealife, a prison which works like a Schrodinger box and a bunch of other weird shit. Also, there's a loli.

Hmm, Endymion sound pretty interesting world building-wise, but does the narrative hold up?

Works on my machine :^)
In all seriousness though, judge for yourself. The narrative is much more straightforward than Hyperion, and the ending does a bunch of contrived shit including time travel resolution and not one, but two textbook deus ex machinas (which kinda fits the story where literal gods try to murder each other) .

Read Hyperion but by Holderlin u dip

Why the hell are people so afraid to read things? Find out for yourself what they're worth and stop letting people do your thinking for you. Fucking lemmings.

I just read Hyperion and the Fall of Hyperion like a month ago.

I really fucking loved the first book. There was something really comfy and nice about it, a group of pilgrims on a weird, isolated planet. There was a lot of mysteries that I liked, the Shrike, the Time Tombs, the labyrinths, the purpose of the Final Pilgrimage...

I didn't like the second book as much though.

It's very, very different. It's not about the small group of pilgrims discovering weird and scary things anymore. It's about galactic wide political and AI stuff with that weird Keats cybrid that kind of becomes the main character out of fucking nowhere. I mean it was good, but it I wanted more of the first one.

Official pilgrim stories power level :

Scholar > Priest >>> power gap >>> Soldier >= Consul > Poet >>> Detective

Templar really count.

>Templar really count.
I meant to say he doesn't really count since he's not there and we don't really get his story. It sounded kind of boring anyway.

You forgot the best story. Scholar > Priest

Sol had a hard life.

Attached: 1371820773928.png (500x418, 410K)

I've read this is like a sci-fi version of the Canterbury tales. Sounds cool.

that's exactly what he said, no?

He sure did. I don't know why I didn't see it

>Scholar > Priest >>> power gap >>> Soldier >= Consul > Poet >>> Detective
based and shrikepilled

Tbh I see two groups: those who like Fall and those who don’t. If you liked it, it seems likely you enjoy the universe and would probably at least like Endymion and Rise.
I liked Fall more than I was expecting, but there were aspects of it I didn’t like. But the aspects I didn’t like don’t pertain to the overall lore and universe so I’ll pronably read Endymion at some point

The first two books are good, but after that it takes a turn for the worse.
Endymion has some cool parts (I liked Father de Soya) but the plot gets really stupid and retroactively ruins parts of the original book. The kidney stone chapters and the twist that when Jesus said "eat my body and drink my blood" he meant that his disciples should literally eat him are some of the most retarded things I've ever read, and I read a lot of SF.

The music choices in the first chapters made it obvjoious that the author was a pseud. I stopped reading at that moment.

Attached: 1551296512560.png (1584x1584, 2.7M)

What would you have chosen? Ariana Granda? Niggernoise? lmao pleb

He picked the most overplayed shit imaginable in an attempt to portray a character as sophisticated. He picked those examples since he obviously didn't know any other ones.

Attached: 1542026474219.jpg (360x360, 55K)

read the canterbury tales instead, pleb

Was it really overplayed in late 80s when the book originally came out? I'm not sure.

Im talking about the Wagner/Rachmaninoff excerpts from I believe the very first chapter.

What if this specific fictional character just happens to really like those pieces of music?

>Priest>Consul
Have fun writhing on the Tree with all the other dilettantes.

What's so great about the Consul's story?
I liked the character, but his story was far from the best.
The most interesting part was about his grandfather, not even himself.

Then he just kinda swore revenge on the universe, became a diplomat, betrayed both sides, and set off the Time Tombs. But then he realised that he didn't even betray anyone really because everybody know exactly what he was up to.

The priest's story was fucking nice.
All that weird exploration, structures, the underground cathedral and labyrinth, his death. It was pretty good.

Huh, I'd describe their stories exactly like you would, I just prefer the Consul. I guess I liked his isolation from humanity and his allegiance to something that was already gone, especially since I read these as an edgy teen. I should read em again and see if my opinion changes.

I'd agree on that.
The priest had a great story, but the character was weak as fuck.
It gets better when the old guy gets resurrected instead, but not even by that much, while the Consul is just really great character in general.

It seems like I am the only person here that enjoyed Endymion. I really liked the setting.

>singing "ancient songs" at the end of both books.
Unironically want to nail a cruciform to Simmons' chest for that

The part in Endymion where we discover what happened to Dure is some nightmare fuel

underrated kek

read the second if you want some conclusion to the characters but it its worse, i stopped there because they apparently fall of realy hard