Reminder: Hating Pinker is the most normie opinion there is

Reminder: Hating Pinker is the most normie opinion there is

chronicle.com/interactives/hating-pinker

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 8.00.03 PM.png (1742x964, 2.5M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IMVOHeQYCUY
ojphi.org/ojs/index.php/bsi/article/download/81/100
globalresearch.ca/reality-denial-apologetics-for-western-imperial-violence/32066
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you talk to normies? They fucking love Pinker, at least techies do

Wrong.
The Pinker worldview is the worst.

Attached: credentialism.png (780x1000, 678K)

pinker is the embodiment of naive normieism
"everything's perfect and just getting better' He says to himself as the 6th mass extinction event, climate change, resource depletion, soil erosion, and the future wars and famines that will occur never seem to cross his mind

>Everything's gonna be ok, user. Just stop complaining and play with the euphoria inducers that we've integrated into your life, user. This is as good as it gets. No bad feelings. No feelings at all really.

Attached: eyes Elizabeth Holmes.jpg (1280x720, 45K)

>must... critique... capitalism.... no.... happy.... thoughts.... .allowed

ASS

Attached: 1549079768664.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

Pretending normies care about Steven Pinker is sad.

They don't care (or even know) about him but they do agree with him.

The only normalfags I've spoken to who knew Pinker all seemed to agree with him.

And? Am I supposed to automatically like Pinker, if they do, just to be contrarian?

The default condition of a humans is to assume that the norms they experience are the best possible set of norms because they are "the way it is" and anyone who disagrees lacks "common sense".

Don't forget AI, social and political instability at a global scale, Reptilian Jews from Outer Space, etc.

But, user, don't you know that progress is inevitable, because we are enlightened and totally above all the simple brutish barbarian humans that came before us, and therefor all of those "problems" will be fixed by science?
Don't compare Climate change, war, famine, and resource depletion to Reptilian Jews from outer space. It's obvious that you're trying to poison the well.

>It's obvious that you're trying to poison the well.
Actually I was agreeing with you but I was just joking with the last one heh
Now that I reread my post I see it wasn't clear.

I think most philosophically-minded people, and Christian apologists, love to hate him because he tries to force the sheer, cold statistical lens on the human experience. Anyone older than about twenty knows that the human experience is a little more subjective than a basic collection of measurements. What Pinker does is imply that because, statistically, poverty has gone down, we should be happier; or, because communication and convenience has gone up, we should be happier; or, because there is access and variety and prosperity, we should be happier. He makes no mention of the unmeasurables: culture, societal unity and shared meaning, transcendence, tradition, values, etc.

butte

Pinker is peek neoliberal mind. Thinking that because you can spend more on goods that you will forget even exist in 3 days makes you happier.

He upsets people because he’s right but most people in modernity can’t find happiness in their lives and it makes them feel like it’s their own fault. It partly is their fault. The thing be gets wrong which is egregious to me is the fact that he omits that we’re biologically designed for tribal socializion. Modernity has failed, which has been mankind’s project for the last 2,000 years. He isn’t ready to admit this defeat despite the fact that it’s scientifically and biologically determined.

Attached: 1552071169754.jpg (727x868, 237K)

Pinker is the embodiment on the proverb that man cannot survive on bread alone. He circularly conflates a decrease in violence, increase in life expectancy, and certain changes in material condition as self-evident of a Whiggish view of societal development when there are historical counter examples such as Rome. Essentially, he's a vacuous faggot that doesn't know history outside of his gay le rational science man Enlightenment circle jerk and selectively ignores societal trends that point to potential catastrophe (I don't mean to be an alarmist). He's a total utilitarian hack whose views are annoying puerile who thinks that because it's good now therefore it will continue to be good or better.

>He's right...
>But he's wrong...

Pinker writes schlock because being a Harvard professor doesn't pay as well as he'd like it to. Why does Pinker write the shitty books that he does when no one really cares about his boring, uninteresting and vacuous opinions on topics he has no credible expertise on?

This wojak has gone too far :3

Attached: doomer3.png (727x868, 882K)

What if I told you people can be right about some things, and wrong about others? Could you take your head out of your asshole for one second. How much empty entertainment does one have to consume before needing every idea and story and person in their lives to be top/down reduced to a simple narrative like that? Please keep reading your top 15 lists and watching the newest episodes of Black Mirror while you felate yourself into thinking it’s complex.

Not him but you really need to work on your communication skills user

Nah, I’ve surpassed the need to communicate I’m just that smart

holy shit what a bootlicking excuse for an article, an insufferable mixture of smarm, nu-leftist moralism and parasitic liberalism, not to mention the obvious white privilege which is necessary for these disgusting neoliberals to maintain their ideology. self-refuting; the very presentation of this piece of propaganda allows us to see the rancid, beating heart of Pinker and his ilk.

The NeoBoomer arrives from eternal 1968.

Attached: 198384.jpg (171x266, 12K)

>6th mass extinction event, climate change, resource depletion, soil erosion, and the future wars and famines

None of that holds any significance.

The decay of classical music is another matter, however, and is enough to justify total war for the revival of our traditions over the bodies of the modern philistines.

So the society of door-to-door vacuum salesmen would be okay if it were only white people getting the souls sucked out of them?

GABIDUL GAWD GEEB US IN EDURNUL BOOMERSHIB

Attached: 1552080705792.jpg (750x1166, 124K)

>man cannot survive on bread alone
Monsanto injects synthetic parasites into your corn flakes to wipe away your gender from the inside, user. We do not subsist on bread alone.

ITT:
>but how can life be getting better for the majority of people if I, a misanthropic would-be intellectual, am sad?

>Everywhere things are becoming better! Everywhere things are becoming merrier!
Will progress fags ever get the irony that they're eternally caught up in a Stalin time larp?

All these C-students mad they can't into the style guide of science.
youtu.be/IMVOHeQYCUY

ass

Who cares. Let neoliberals utilitarian degenerates have their delusions for (perhaps) a few decades more and prepare for religious fanatic sinofuturism in the meantime.

>China is future
>Future arrives
>We Chiney now
>And future good
>Because future
>Capital sentient

Attached: GABIDULL IZ ZENDIEND.jpg (171x266, 17K)

I sure love too get injected with pacifying chemicals by my masters

Attached: same.png (698x635, 403K)

Isn't Pinker a Jew?

Lmao imagine being religious and not even realizing it lol pinker is so dumb

Attached: mythfagsbtfo.jpg (1366x768, 92K)

>hehe hes delusional
>now join my alarmist deathcult side

Wew

Even the most transhumanist faggot could see some way in which this could be incredibly dystopian.

What do you have against happiness?

yeah

Extremely based and pinkpilled

Me: "There are multiple very serious problems facing the human race in her future and we need to address them to ensure future generations have a decent quality of life."
You: "lol stop being such alarmist deathcultist!"

Attached: hmpf anime face.png (379x205, 19K)

It's tremendously sad when I have to defend Pinker but this is absurd. You're only proving his point by being hysterical about things that have NOT happened.

>atheism is just non-theism
So what is this?

>that have NOT happened
Because they are in the process of happening, you loon.

Tbf, you need to have a pretty high IQ to understand Pinker.

Only good post itt.

Prevention is better than the cure. These things are happening right now and if you decided to put down your escapist literature and take the sciencepill you would realise these are real problems that will have real consequences unless we act on them.
t. not that user

Attached: 1552259165745.jpg (527x578, 26K)

Great but now can I get this with opiates?

An amazon review of Pinker's book by N.N.Taleb

Attached: IMG_20190311_132355.jpg (720x1318, 305K)

I'm a stats fag and like reading data heavy works. Should I give pinker or taleb a go first?

>your accurate forecasts scare me so shut up
nope

>TECHNOLOGY GOOD
>DEMOCRACY GOOD
>DIVERSITY GOOD
>ME HAVE HORMONE FOOD ME HAPPY
peven stinker
ass

>but i'm morbidly depressed so optimism is fake

Attached: ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u1.png (549x413, 116K)

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 163K)

You dont get it user were not doing what I want fast enough so the world is ending

just go read taleb's Antifragile. The whole point of pinker is he cant into probability and statistics, having the mental deficiency of not distinguishing between frequency and size of a payoff of events (positive or negative)

johj

How is Taleb such a metholodogical GOD?

Quality shitpost
Thanks user, I haven't read anything of oinker's but picking apart mistakes is not necessarily bad. I've tead some of Taleb online and enjoyed it so far so I'll give him a go.

Current projections suggest the world is actually ending in about a century though. Pinker's argument is it's a good thing we're domesticated now, so the lights go out with a whimper.

Stupid people hate him because they barely read/engage with his arguments and think he's a Panglossian optimist.

Smart people (actual academics) hate him because he's a poor scholar and gets basic history, anthropology and statistical inferences wrong.

Even in his own field of psychology he has obvious agenda blinders:

ojphi.org/ojs/index.php/bsi/article/download/81/100

patricians hate him for both reasons.

Attached: 1537142164795.jpg (1080x846, 175K)

>Smart people (actual academics)

because he has a skin in the game, he admits to be dumb and lazy when he doesn't. Now imagine practicaly any bureaucrat and career academic..

Attached: IMG_20190311_135901.jpg (720x404, 82K)

Attached: CapitalIsDisplacement.jpg (499x484, 133K)

why does everything boil down to generalization?
and why is that generalization always wrong?

>adding to systemic risk from being personally risk averse isn't unaccounted personal risk
?

Good post.

I think he presents his ideas as though there is a direct unmediated causal link between happiness material goods and services. Of course this is not true and we contextualize material goods and services through our various personal and cultural values and experiences. This causes him to steamroll over people's inner lives and often comes across as him telling people not even how they should feel but how they actually feel, as though he knows them better than they know themselves. Obviously this is infuriating and garners a lot of resentment. He also has a habit of entirely dismissing other writers and thinkers whose works he sees as being in disagreement with his own, even if this conflict only constitutes a small portion of the other person's oeuvre.

It is a shame really because human progress is an interesting area of discussion & debate but Pinker's lack of nuance can be counter-productive.

Doesn't he fuck kids on the lolita express?

Yearning for something more is a privilege of those free from violence and with their basic material needs already met.

Attached: 1100433.jpg (500x333, 60K)

>He upsets people because he’s right
Wrong
globalresearch.ca/reality-denial-apologetics-for-western-imperial-violence/32066

Attached: victims of communism.jpg (1000x1015, 125K)

>I, random Yea Forums poster #12742135, am way more informed on these issues than people who study them for a living

>who study them for a living
means fuck-all if you completely ignore risks of phenomena you study, thus not regulate your exposure to them, or worse shift the risks of inevitable blowup to future and to others, while you get you praise, tenure and tax-funded grants now.
the keyword is 'study' for a living instead 'doing' for a living. Practice precedes theory (academic led you to believe the opposite is true).
47 out of 48 traders with fancy phds blow up (taleb's sample). In academia or byro, not even blow-up of policy based on your theory will cause you to lose your cushy tenure or career.

Most radiohead post I’ve ever seen

>the zenith of intelligence is careerist academician

Except it isn't. There is no universal switch present across the entire species that turns a person's desire for numinous or transcendental experience once a certain level of material accumulation has been met. In fact people highly oriented toward some non-tangible value often renounce basic needs or seek out violence because of this sense of the transcendent or non-material.

>Nothing is more evident than that modern capitalism is just as subversive as Marxism. The materialistic view of life on which both systems are based is identical; both of their ideals are qualitatively identical, including the premises connected to a world the centre of which is constituted of technology, science, production, "productivity," and "consumption." And as long as we only talk about economic classes, profit, salaries, and production, and as long as we believe that real human progress is determined by a particular system of distribution of wealth and goods, and that, generally speaking, human progress is measured by the degree of wealth or indigence—then we are not even close to what is essential

Attached: download.jpg (191x264, 7K)

I dont see how climate change can be tackled especially in current conditions without taking away autonomy both self and governmental.

He explicitly says in his latest book that he doesn't think everything is perfect, or that there's an inexorable/inevitable force of positive progress in the world, or that everything everywhere is getting better, or that there aren't multiple serious problems the world is facing.

Know what you're arguing against.

Reminder:
Normis are in fucking love with the guy, seems like you hang around the right people OP.
>

>The zenith of intelligence are NEETs larping as researchers on Yea Forums

He's just moving the goalpost cause he knows his research is status quo preserving meme shit

having any sort of opinion on Pinker at all is memery

Actually, the zenith of intelligence was me all along

For some people maybe. I was an edgelord ever since I was a wee lad.

The same NEETs that tracked flags and personnel through photographs with nothing but the sky and an airplane.
You're an imbecile if you genuinely believe that you must have suffixes before your name in order to give valid, thorough criticism.

he a brainlet tho

I mean one of the top wikipedia dudes is this exact thing

>philosopher
>can't think
weow

Also a good post.

>literally moves the goalpost
>does not see the irony

But things aren't getting better for the majority of people and I actually consider myself happy

>globalresearch
It is a conspiracy theory and state media agregator. It uses chemtrailers and anti-vaxer news sites as well as government-owned news channels as sources. It is basically Breitbart with a left slant.

>But things aren't getting better for the majority of people
By several metrics, they are. Metrics like life-expectancy, purchasing power, homicide rate, literacy, live births, etc.

From a 1st world bubble it might not seem that way, of course.

You need to go back.

>bless the data

Attached: 1524526587231.jpg (300x168, 9K)

Why should I care about the majority?

You aren't allowed to hate Steven Pinker or you will be [bad thing]

>muh feelings tho

You need to get your pox shots.

lmao "No bad feelings, no feelings at all" really does sound like a lyric out of OK computer

You just really REALLY want to be a contrarian, right? Replace Pinker with Gates, Tyson, Dawkins, literally any midwit tier pop thinker.

Based and leftiepilled

Literally thinking that hive mind intelligence to solve simple problems with lots of components is the same thing as solving complex problems.
Jezus fucking Christ, there's a difference between tracking a flag and actually solving creative problems.

>Says I move the goalpost
>Does not even notice that I'm not part of any discussion hence there was not an established goalpost before my comment.
keep yourself safe

Wikipedia is pretty garbage for anything in depth though, and even then that dude is pretty exceptional in his autism and knows the limits of his intelligence.
anons tend to have problems with that, see the entirety of /pol/

This isn't even a meme.
Except fill the job listing with spelling errors too. Its like they're specifically sesigned to destroy your self esteem.

is this guy for real?
is he an accelerationist in disguise?

Attached: 1531973555856.png (1600x1200, 340K)

I think he's referring to something like Maslow's hierarchy of needs. But I have a problem with that assertion too. First, I'll concede that it's difficult to pursue any sense of culture, unity, shared values, etc., when you're thirsty and starving and shivering in the rain. Similarly, our biological instincts push us towards survival and procreation through relationship and nurturing. The higher values come after that. The problem, however, is that people like Pinker assert that once those problems are solved, society should be a swarm of people all happily and successfully pursuing these higher goals and doing so in a coherent and meaningful framework. The sad fact is - and here is my big unsubstantiated assertion - people who are free from practical and material challenges do not tend towards the pursuit higher values necessarily. Most who come of age in a prosperous and superficially comfortable society seem to pursue meaningLESS things like status symbols, wealth, possessions hoping that they will bring with them meaning. If I was an anti-capitalist, or ever met an anti-capitalist, this is the place where I would start: this variety, choice, comfort, and consumerist world we've created...does it improve or undermine a man's search for meaning?

Thanks. Also true. The dismissal of the "inner lives" of people is probably why people love to him most: he personifies the modern, secular, materialist lens which has, whether one has ever been Christian or not, undermined the framework through which western societies USED to find meaning.

>*love to HATE him most

This is why you lie to get in the door. HR is never the one interviewing you.

>Gates
Bill Gates? The guy who's saved millions of lives?
>Dawkins
Richard Dawkins? The best science writer of his generation?

good lord man you’re retarded

/thread

This is conservativism, not normieism. Liberals believe that the past was much worse than it could have been, and that if everyone embraced their ideals, things would have been much better then and now. Conservatives are the ones consistently defending the actions of those in the past.

Mental healthcare workers often are themselves being medicated. For a lot of high-pressure jobs being a pill-popper isn't stigmatized. Better than doing coke like stock traders and supermodels.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

>means fuck-all if you completely ignore risks of phenomena you study, thus not regulate your exposure to them, or worse shift the risks of inevitable blowup to future and to others
What do you mean by this?
t. brainlet

bump

Attached: stefan.jpg (1022x862, 228K)

Unironically gave me faith that the concentrated autismo emanating from this place will solve all major philosophical problems in the coming few years.

1) arguments can be expressed informally
2) the post you're quoting contains an informal argument
3) therefore it is an argument

It's sadder still when I have to argue from Empiricism, but hysterical busybodies have been shrieking every day since time immemorial, and History itself would've been aborted several times over had anyone listened to them.

Anti-depressants have nothing to do with happiness, only with numbing you to feeling.

>dude just go back to sleep hahaha you don't wanna seem like a weirdo man hahahah just sleep hahah

I'm on them right now, and I am by no means numb to feeling. I'm just not wracked with constant, crippling anxiety and the up and down cycle of my moods is more level.

Is that a Houllebecq quote? It sounds like the kind of thing he would say

it belongs to n.n.taleb

His thesis is the gold standard for judging modernity.

>Another user that doesn't know what the word "Liberal" means outside of the modern American context.
sad

The only people who hate Pinker are butthurt tankies that can't accept the reality that the poor are improving under capitalism.

>points out freshman stats errors
>GOD
he just read a textbook
you could too, if you stopped worshiping pseuds

Attached: 1550971182766.gif (450x551, 213K)

We are all going to make it bros

This comment is some real Poe's law shit