Why is this so good?

Why is this so good?

Attached: 91D-NuBThAL.jpg (1600x2411, 634K)

Because it's a long-ass novel that hooks you right at the start with a kino opening sentence and then stays kino for the next 500 pages. Plus, its English translation is better than the original Spanish work according to Marquez himself.

It's essentially the national myth of Latin America. It manages to describe everything beautifully and is an allegory to Colombian history, albeit, from a rather leftie perspective.

>from a rather leftie perspective.
Hard to justify a massacre of workers from a right-wing perspective.

they were crypto-Jews, user

My impression when I read it was that I was witnessing humanity first emerging from primordial mud, from the creamy swamps of stone age, as if the foundation of the city of Macondo was the first settlement of civilization and it’s inhabitants were all Adams and Eves, all of them still humid with the sweat of the dew of paradise. Is like the children of Eden modeling and pilling up the first bricks of Ur, or Uruk, of Nineveh or Babylon (all the houses of red mud and of bamboo/taquara).

Humanity was at the same time more innocent and stronger, more ignorant and hungrier. The friendship and the butchery, the marriage and drinking rituals, the sexual hunger and the love caresses, the trades and crafts and arts and festivals: all of it seemed, in my eyes, as discovered for the first time by the inhabitants of the world of this book. When they made love, they did it with more power and pleasure than our current race; when they killed, they did it with more foaming savagery. Their veins still had primeval magma snaking and tingling inside them; their arteries still burned with an effervescence contaminated with the sweat of minotaur’s and the menstrual blood of sirens. It is a book that portrays a period in history but with the taste of something that came before history, before civilization, before the written word, before the invention of time. The first settlers, with the first house-foundations, will be the ones who will finally make time open its eyes and start growing conscious – as if, the soil being perforated to seat the first beams, time started to gush off, like newfound petroleum.

It begins with creation. Even the fauna and flora, with plants with tick and oozing blood of milk, flowers with golden pollen, butterflies and mosquitos emerging like dense fog, and the birds singing on the branches, the tamarins jumping from tree to tree, the fat salamanders crawling in the viscous vegetation, the araras (macaws) whose flesh is blue and taste like musk: this environment seemed as the original jungles of Eden before the fall of humanity. It begins with creation, but it will march inexorably until the crack of doom.

And then you get the same errors and weaknesses happening again and again and again, by generation after generation of characters, as if didn’t matter how much civilization changed, for the original and primeval world (where things still didn’t had a name, where men and women needed to point to indicate what they were referring to) could never be completely silenced. No matter how much technology and “progress” fertilized the world, still the original marrow of our bestial beings could never be suppressed: it kept screaming inside the bones and veins of the men and women of the book. Like the sweet and nauseating pulp of guava, there is no way to wash the taste, the nausea and the sweetness from this the people who are still and forever tattooed by the Dionysian stamp of the state-of-nature.

Gregory Rabassa was truly one of a kind. He translated some of the Latin American biggies like Paradiso and Hopscotch, as well.

Well I think it is middle of the road trash. Nothing ever happens! And whenever I post on Yea Forums that it sucks, everyone says "oh amigo, you must read in the original Spanish language".
Well fuck that and fuck you, because this doesn't even belong in a top 100 list of best lit in ANY language.

I know I'm probably missing the whole meaning of it because I'm a gringo, so apologies if I stalled on any toes.

*Stepped

Is that pasta from a review or did you write that? Because I would read a book like that as you described. I tried reading it maybe 10 years ago, I think maybe I'll try starting again.

>Nothing ever happens!
You can say anything you want about it but this critique makes no sense. Stuff literally happens in every page. This isn't an introspective novel.

>Nothing ever happens!

Except 100 years of war, magic shenanigans, melodramatic romances, assasinations, ghosts, decipherings, betrayals, madness, sex, and that’s just what i can remember from the top of my head, all of this along with continues references to occultism and history. Like the other user said, this is such a ridiculous thing to say about this book. Almost all of the book is written in a journalistic action-first style where the events are narrated one after the other, very little idling as oppose to say something like Dostoevsky where the narration gets stuck in consideration of the action.

you are a soulless brainlet who needs to get better bait
>"oh amigo, you must read in the original Spanish language".
nobody says that. they wouldn't need to. if they did, they're pseuds because even the fucking author endorses the English translation above the Spanish original.

kys

wtf is a national myth of anything.?

A myth shared by people due to national or ethnic identity, not religious ones, usually depicting some event related to origins or development of nations or peoples.

La Llorona is good example.

well is not a myth. is a novel. And no, is not a good allegory either.

But stuff does happen my dude, the story of Jose Arcadio Beuendia striving for greatness as he begins to realize there’s more in the world than the basic labor of simple day to day life, followed by him being gifted tools of greater knowledge by Melquidios the gypsi, causing his son to become an introspective scholar and loner who breaks free from his hermit path when he falls in love with a beautiful girl and defies all the world to deny her to him in the act of claiming her hand in marriage, only to have her stripped away from him and throwing himself into the military to deal with his grief, where-in he becomes a master warrior, slayer and leader of men, phantom of espionage, and folk hero to all men and women is one of the most awesome tales of all time

That’s before you get to the part where women all over the country literally bring their daughters to him, leading to a many chapters later wacky hijinks with his 80 sons (all named after him), the outrbreak of insomnia, the tragedy of Mr, Babilona, the downfall of Jose Arcadio Beuendia, the life of Usula, the tale of Remedios the Beauty, and the fiery story of Jose the 3rd, destined to be Pope and his torrid love obsession with his beautiful Aunt who is only a year or so older than him, and the tragedy that closes their story. And that’s just the major highlights on top of a bunch of other interconnected stories that quite literally make up 100 years of events from start to finish.

does La llorona belongs to a nation ?

Mexico, I believe. Other nations have their own off-brand version, though. But it's a folklore legend just like the Jersey Devil. Mexico's foundational myth is that of the eagle devouring a snake.

oh this reminds me, I read somewhere some parallels of the novel with chibcha and caribe mythology. Nevertheless is the novel using myths, not creating or being one. And is not of "latin America".

It's too Caribbean to represent the entirety of Latin America. I suppose it represents some sort of essence of it but at the end it only represents Colombia.

chibcha myths are so good. Is a mix of wars, incest, emeralds, gold , corn, a wise guy that comes and goes (like melquiades), floods and so on.

It's not that good.

The first 100-150 pages are AMAZING. But then it becomes an absolute slog. It finishes strong, but my god, that middle section is ridiculously tedious.

It sucks.

FYI Borges thought Marquez was a punk, and he was right.

Haha guys I'm going to write a book with 30 characters but I'm going to give them all the same name hahaha literally genius roflol lmao haha

absolute pleb

Emily Brontë what are you doing here