They're making a movie out of the Bell Jar. Is it a big deal that they're going to whitewash it?

They're making a movie out of the Bell Jar. Is it a big deal that they're going to whitewash it?

Attached: 0.jpg (2020x3000, 483K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/C0X3CLJVMJU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Someone posted a while back that Yea Forums would be obsessed with the Bell Jar if it were written by a man. But people here haven’t read it because they assume it’s chick lit so no one cares enough to take your bait.

When her depression really starts & she breaks down when the editor asks her what she wants to do I felt it. Just that crushing feeling of being unhappy but not wanting anything else any more.

It's a great fucking book and not just for it's glimpse into her shit, it's also really solid scathing satire of wannabe debs in NY at the time.

Also, how would they whitewash it and why? Mental illness is very en vogue right now, any studio just wants money - not to castrate subversive stories.

Because pic related is going to star in it and the main character in the book is Asian. To be fair the movie they made out of it before was whitewashed as well.

>Someone posted a while back that Yea Forums would be obsessed with the Bell Jar if it were written by a man.
This, it's actually very good. It made me quite depressed to read which very few books have ever done.

how the fuck is Sylvia Plath's fictionalized self - named Esther Greenwood - an asian?

It’s an excellent book and I will probably never reread it because it put me in a dark place. But so many people here seem to be looking for books that reflect the depressive experience, it’s a shame they overlook Plath.

I assumed OP wanted to manufacture “diversity” outrage but maybe they’re just mistaken?

I’m outraged. Why hasn’t a trans person of color been cast for the role?

There's one part where she describes her reflection in the mirror as a Chinese woman.

Yeah no, you're not fooling me into reading another fiction book by a woman. Women should stick to poetry (and the kitchen)

Lol - the quote in question: “I noticed a big, smudgy-eyed Chinese woman staring idiotically into my face. It was only me, of course. I was appalled to see how wrinkled and used up I looked”

She's punching down at asians, retard. She's saying she looks so much like shit that she doesn't recognize herself. Most women are self conscious about their eyes as they tend to be a sign of aging.

Agreed and it doesn't try to commodify depression the way so many other books do. It kind of just shows how nothing in particular can lead to this nihilistic pain.

She was a treasure - wish there was more from her.

Put it on a t-shirt and walk the jersey shore boardwalk with your intellectual equivalents.

Big deal? The writer will probably kill herself if they fuck with it

Esther's a white girl. At one point in the novel she fancies her reflection as having oriental features while musing listlessly in the mirror. Anons like to exagerrate Hollywood's way of changing race, and will go on to apply it to everything. It's guaranteed a reaction.

It's okay to give them attention now and then, but the ones who it encourages most usually aren't being validated by anyone outside of this website. Don't be like Esther, be kind to people.

This, basically. Fags made me get out the book just to confirm.

>character in the book is Asian
youtu.be/C0X3CLJVMJU

Why do you have to ruin the fucking thread?

Kirsten is love. Kirsten is life

Damn white people and their...
[shuffles deck, pulls card]
...better reading comprehension than me

Based. Turning Japanese is a revolt against the modern world and l'habitude.

>SJW revisionists destroyed by weebs
Who knew /jp/ had its uses?