Why do people call it literary?

Why do people call it literary?

Attached: p7892930_b_v8_ab.jpg (960x1440, 274K)

no clue, i quit after the second season.

to justify spending dozens of hours watching le epic gangsters and cops

Because they don't read books and are on some level slightly ashamed about it. Since they are unable to pick up a book and read it, they instead pretend that watching procedural cop dramas is something bookish people do.

Calling the wire, a tv show, literary is a stretch.
Maybe it's because of the character arcs that span the length of the entire series?
The characters aren't meant to be likeable but rather their flaws that make them unique and memorable.
It's worth a watch though. Just skip through filler episodes.

Because it is masterfully written. The characters have the deepest psychology you would ever see in a tv show, the story is anti-spectacular and anti-Manichaean, making the show realistic. The narration, constantly switching between places and characters, painting the city of Baltimore more than telling a story, is very peculiar for a tv show, so it's probably why people call it "literary".
But it is not an easy nor relaxing show, so brainlets will probably get bored during the second season.

The toughest dude is a fag, so critics had to shower it with praise because it was le current year and shit.

>But it is not an easy nor relaxing show, so brainlets will probably get bored during the second season.
It's supremely comfy though in that all the characters are very human. It does something that is pretty rare in TV in that pretty much no character is a simple caricature even when doing shitty stuff they retain their humanity.

Because of the dickensian aspect

>praising character development
>recommends skiping episodes where that character development occurs

hmmmmm

Season one to three is alright. 4 onward is just retarded and boring, uninspired soap opera. Unlike Sopranos, which remains powerful and coherent throughout.

Can you even call this bait? This is the equivalent of laying in bed and just hoping a cooked and breaded fish stick will hop in your mouth

Which should I watch first, Deadwood or The Sopranos?

Sopranos. Then stop watching stuff for a few months. Quite liberating.

reminds them of the books they read
I actually liked the season with the journalists
My favorite law enforcement show is still Justified because of how cool and TVgood it is. No literary pretensions just cool accents and outfits and shooting guys.

Attached: BURN.jpg (738x1024, 49K)

confirmed for teenager who has no actual memory of life in 2002

Season 2 is by far the best.

I don't watch American dramas much. I'm on S3 of The Wire and while it's definitely very good I very rarely make time to watch it, I've also watched up to S2E9 of Twin Peaks with my mum, apart from that I literally haven't seen any. I want to watch True Detective S1, Deadwood and The Sopranos, maybe Breaking Bad, and that's it.
I do, however, think that The Office UK is a genuinely brilliant work, and that David Brent is one of the greatest characters I've ever seen, a perfect mix of Don Quixote and the Underground Man. Peep Show, Blackadder and Fawlty Towers are also 10/10. The Simpsons and South Park were also fantastic in their prime.

cuz it's fucking boring

I never liked show about cops. They are really boring people: hangover, coffee, coffee, donut coffee, donut, coffee shits, coffee, banter, banter, banter, banter, lunchtime, banter, banter, niggers head through a windshield, hardy banter, shake down some nigger, count it up, banter, banter, hit the showers, barroom banter, beer, beer, tequila, tequila, beer, beer, tequila, approach woman, tunes out to be a guy, anger and violence, go home, beer, tell wife to take it easy, sports, news, sports, news, infomercial, news, beer, more sports, sleep.

True Detectives season 1 is great. Close second after Sopranos. Can't really touch it, but exceeds it in terms of style and swag. Breaking bad was sort of OK. You'll probably agree with me after the fact, seeing how you listed all of my favourite shows there, including peep show.