Stoner

Ive been reading John Williams Stoner and I kind of hate it. Should I just stop reading or should I push forward?

Attached: IMG_20180930_141428.jpg (240x240, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thebaffler.com/latest/the-puppet-master-mcclay
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why do you hate it?

Are you a woman?

i think the writing style is a bit dry and its kind of hard to read more than 30 pages at a time. is it worth finishing the rest?

Are you a woman?
x2

why would you not finish it?

just finish it then give it away if you dislike it. simple.

Attached: 1530457748545.png (1029x831, 256K)

Yes I didn't like it either. I pushed through and I can tell you that it doesn't get better.

No I'm a man and I hate women

Attached: curt-doolittle-the-way-to-kill-all-feminist-arguments-is-22761167.png (500x653, 131K)

>He had no friends, and for the first time in his life he became aware of loneliness. Sometimes, in his attic room at night, he would look up from a book he was reading and gaze in the dark corners of his room, where the lamplight flickered against the shadows. If he stared long and intently, the darkness gathered into a light, which took the insubstantial shape of what he had been reading. And he would feel that he was out of time, as he had felt that day in class when Archer Sloane had spoken to him. The past gathered out of the darkness where it stayed, and the dead raised themselves to live before him; and the past and the dead flowed into the present among the alive, so that he had for an intense instant a vision of denseness into which he could not escape, and had no wish to escape.

How could you dislike this?

What is extraordinary with Stoner is how compelling it is. I wouldn't be surprised if an user read it in one or two days. If it doesn't work at all for you, yeah I guess you can drop it. There's no major change half way or whatever.

thanks, finally someone based

ive been at it for a week now and im gonna try and keep on with it a little bit but if im not enjoying it by the end then I'll just give it away

How far into it are you? It was smooth sailing for me after about 30-50 pages. Took me three days to get me to page 30. Took me 1 day to finish the other ~250 pages. But that seems to be the case with most of the books I read.

>dude like I'm lonely and sometimes I day dream
Stfu

i just got onto page 50 and its gearing up a bit. i might try to finish it off today or tomorrow. the writing style is very dry and I'm not quite used to it but I am slowly getting used to it

The writing is not dry. Life is fucking dry.

The prose is not dry. Stoner's lack of self-awareness in his youth makes the retelling of his life "dry". Plus, it's hard to not find dryness in his meek origins of rural Missouri. You will get a lot more insight into him as he ages, which will inject a lot of vigor, drama, and depth into the story.

Doesn’t sound worthwhile
thebaffler.com/latest/the-puppet-master-mcclay

your iq drop when you read that shit

If your IQ is so low you can’t afford to read a single Baffler article you’re in bad shape.

I miss Prometheus and Bob

>waaaaah one of several of the female characters is bad so he is a misogynist
I assume you have enough IQ points to take a baseball bat to the head, correct? Then do it.

It's not about misogyny, plently of great authors are misogynists. It's that it's a self-congratulatory self-inert fantasy (not in that Stoner is happy or gets what he wants, but because he pursues or embodies something noble but still goes unappreciated)

Stoner is an extremely flawed character. Most writers draw from their own experiences when they write. If that was a self-insert, then good for him. Still a good book. There are far worse, more masturbatory self-inserts out there.

>your