Is this worth getting through?

I'm 110 pages into this and it's about 600 pages long

I've got a stack of books I wanna work through, and it's looking like this is going to take a lot of time. How satisfying is it to finish this beast of a book?

Attached: MobyDick.jpg (490x490, 74K)

It's worth it, but probably not for you.

>but probably not for you.
snarky teen girl

yes, you'll feel like you've been on a long sea voyage (with a mad man!)

Attached: Winking_man.jpg (180x108, 4K)

You fell for the meme, the book isn't worth reading. Why would anyone go through all these pages just to realize at the end that the journey after moby dick was an elaborate symbol for Melville's desire for Hawthorne's dick is beyond me.

The last third is impossible to put down but the second third is very light on plot and very heavy on extended whaling facts. It's absolutely worth it, but you need to have patience.

fuck off retard

Ouch

based

absolutely this

stop posting

does anyone have the What i read chart?

I bought Moby Dick last week and breezed through the first half in a few days, it's brilliant. What says is right though; the middle has a lot of chapters about whales and whaling, which, while interesting and of relevance to the book, aren't as gripping as the rest.

>I've got a stack of books I wanna work through
>work
That casual choice of words should tell you how you're doing it wrong.

In my opinion Moby Dick is the actual GOAT but given that you (1) chose the word 'work', (2) have a pile you feel pressured to finish for some reason, and (3) are focused on 'satisfaction' at the end gas opposed to actually enjoying the reading) it honestly sounds like you might not be able to appreciate it- or any other great lit. I hope the rest of your pile is textbooks.

>wah snarky uptight bullshit
Shut the fuck up faggot

I say "work" because I'm reading to put the information and knowledge into my head. I want the ideas off of the pages in my fucking head. All of them. Every book ever. That's why I'm reading.

I read fiction because I want the philosophical ideas in my mind and I want to experience something amazing. 600 pages is a lot to cover, that's why I'm asking if it's worth the time/effort investment.

There's a horde of snarky teen girls on this board, I see them sprinkled through every thread

>I'm reading for ideas
>but when I read a blindingly obvious point about how my whole approach is dumbly utilitarian, I reject it out of hand
Impressive. With your mindset I'd definitely skip the masterpieces and head straight for Wikipedia, you'll find it a far more efficient use of your valuable time

yes. absolutely. it took me 4 years of interruptions and interludes, but it was all worth it.

i love moby dick

Attached: 1978_Porsche_935-78-Moby-Dick.jpg (1024x665, 259K)

You sound like a Business of Economics major. I bet you belong to like, 4 student societies and you and your friends jack each other off about who you've networked with and how prestigious said networking event was.

Is self-help the master ideology of Yea Forums? Or Yea Forums at least? It's everywhere, from 'books for this feel' cries for help to OP's spreadsheet-filling approach to the best that has been thought and said.

is self-help not the master ideology of the human spirit?

No.

It sounds like you need to relax, user. I think that maybe Moby-Dick has something to teach you about the futility of monomaniacal Ahabic quests and the importance of cultivating a kind of humilitous Ishmaelian serenity.

>OP has an Ahab-like obsession with acquiring an Ishmael-like breadth of understanding
Nice

Sail. Tail pale whale. Fail.
>all you need to know

Excellent! Can you do some other classics?

I'll have a go:

>axe attacks backs; cracks; wracks

I suffered. Now you suffer. My name is Edmond Dantes.

Sun. Hot as fuck. Die nigger. Why even live.

Needs moar rhyming

>wife + knife = rife life. Strife. Fife knifes

Not a direct translation of what I said but also yes.

Wars; Moor soars. Adores. Flaws. Poor Moor!

>tfw you just can't find a rhyme to get Iago in

I know, it was just a thought that occurred based on what you said and it was pretty neat

Mum done. Sun, gun someone. Shunned, done? Fun!

chapeaux

cross the border, meet the herder, oh no, the horror

Attached: heart of drk.jpg (1200x1789, 170K)

I just want Queequeg to hold me bros......

Attached: 1537186855262.gif (500x272, 1.17M)

You should probably stop now if you're so concerned with reading through other books quickly. Independent reading shouldn't feel like a chore.

triggered

>600 pages is a lot to cover
Uhm yikes

I'd rather a long river voyage with a con-man

Yea Forums’s soul's a centipede that moves upon a hundred legs

Attached: view.php.jpg (320x320, 21K)

Confidence-pilled.

It's worth it. Trust us. It will be one of the more memorable moments of your life.

>I say "work" because I'm reading to put the information and knowledge into my head

What's your goal? If you want to be more successful in career then maybe you should focus on business/psychology/marketing type of books as another user mentioned. Reading literature is largely just about appreciating art and culture.

>Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers’ hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say, – Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.

Attached: original_result (4).png (512x512, 387K)

>Business of Economics major
>of
Ok brainlet, yeah I do have an econ degree though. How's your fingerpainting degree working for you libtard

I'm not reading to be more successful, I just really like literature. I want to understand all of the schools of thought and properly understand all of their ideas, and I wanna read all the greatest works of fiction

Same with art and music. I want to know every interesting artist of every time period and own their art in my house.

This isn't an unusual thing

>studying economics
Lol no wonder you're a brainlet, stick to making PowerPoint presentations about the peanut factory down the road, kid
STEM-Liberal Arts dual degree god-race here

I study classical music privately instead of sinking 40k of debt into it like a turbotard

Nice try francis maybe you can get a job doing fingerpainting group class at pre-school