"Sacred Marriage"

Guy who officiated my wedding made me read this trash. Thoughts? Has anyone else read this garbage?

Attached: SacredMarriage_bullshitAFbook.jpg (896x504, 213K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ldysinger.stjohnsem.edu/THM_544_Marriage/02_Pres_Crisis/04 hauerwas sex in public.htm
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Guy who officiated my wedding made me read this trash
I hope it was your local parish priest or something instead of some random hired cuck

Sounds pretty good from the subtitle.

Then again books like this written for a popular ausience usually irk me.

Check out this essay by Stanley Hauerwas for some serious thoughts on the subject.

ldysinger.stjohnsem.edu/THM_544_Marriage/02_Pres_Crisis/04 hauerwas sex in public.htm

I can't remember if it was this one or another essay where he says the modern American family is basically a unit of consumption but that idea pretty much took the wind out of me.

>Guy who officiated my wedding made me read this trash. Thoughts?

Yeah, how are people making you read religious propaganda?

what do you know of love?

It's a well advertised bad deal that ends up becoming a blessing if you endure it long enough

oh how beautiful that sacred love is that breathes the flame of life, awakened by man and woman who've kept themselves pure in body and soul

>the modern American family is basically a unit of consumption
clown world

I am more and more convinced that what is called Christianity in America is horribly disfigured. A nation so bloated by wealth and sustained by incessant warfare and a nuclear arsenal that can destroy mankind with a push of a button will try to have its cake and eat it to.

So Jesus gets pushed aside as some kind of personal savior who can redeem the family and help you succeed at your job while being generally nice.

In reality you are spoiling your family with all the bread you bring them, with the new cars and the closets of new clothes, and you are merely serving the same insane and worldly order that drops bombs on children in Iraq. There is nothing sacred about your family. You like your own congealed blood dwelling in your home with you and you spoil them.

Your job is meaningless labor meant for the gathering of coins with which to spoil. Your being kind to others is a fake easing of the conscience meant to hide what your soul knows even if your mind will not speak it: this is an insane way to live.

God help us.

>what if God designed marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy?
No clue what the book is about, but that sentiment is basically what every Orthodox priest I’ve ever talked to about marriage has told me. Not sure what the issue here is.

It's also what every Catholic priest will tell you about the Sacrament of Matrimony, and it also makes an excellent litmus test to figure out if a Protestant pastor is full of shit or not.

What is OP's problem again?

I agree

That is a huge relief to hear. Thank you for making me feel less isolated and crazy.

Read anything good lately?

How can humans be holy? And what's wrong with being happy?

I also agree.

Christianity in America is kinda whack yeah but you're a tripfag and your post makes me think you're a leftcath (aka a retard) so fuck off.

Fuck off nerd faggot, your assessment might be correct, but your condescending attitude toward the family reveals your antisocial attituteds. The same socially alienating attitudes that have risen due to our barren social landscape. You don't understand the family, or what a majority of healthy Americans want. The American growing fat on wealth is a myth, our economy doesn't support the stable middle class you are deriding.

>I am more and more convinced that what is called Christianity in America is horribly disfigured. A nation so bloated by wealth

Sure, OK.

>sustained by incessant warfare

America isn't "sustained" by "incessant warfare" outside its borders in any meaningful sense.

>a nuclear arsenal that can destroy mankind with a push of a button

This is false.

>So Jesus gets pushed aside as some kind of personal savior who can redeem the family and help you succeed at your job while being generally nice.

Again, this is true and even reasonably well documented, but nothing else you say follows.

>In reality you are spoiling your family...

nah

>Your job is meaningless labor meant for the gathering of coins with which to spoil.

??

>Your being kind to others is a fake easing of the conscience meant to hide what your soul knows even if your mind will not speak it: this is an insane way to live.

Yes, experience with the evil ways of the world can motivate one to be more virtuous. What's the problem again?

Based and romanticpilled

If you get married to someone for “god” and not because you love them and want to share a state of happiness with them you’re a dumb christcuck. God that sub-title makes me sick

God transcends politics entirely. I dont vote. I find nothing more disturbing than people who go to church as an expression of a political idea.
I have no desire to argue about America with someone who is unaware of what 7000 nuclear warheads can do.
The secular world has attempted to replace God with (romantic) love as the supreme ordering force of human life. All love flows from God and is a duller reflection of his light.

Marriage makes no sense as a contractual bargain meant to optimize happiness, precisely because loving requires that we suffer, and without a commitment to a higher order, we will simply opt-out of the contract when the suffering is too great. That is the love of fools and teenagers.