Any books that have a similar feel/plot to the first season of True Detective...

Any books that have a similar feel/plot to the first season of True Detective? Southern Gothic crime noir to be specific. Supernatural elements are welcome but not necessary. Yes I've read Galveston

Attached: 1551066218920.jpg (505x607, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

buzzfeed.com/lincolnmichel/a-true-detective-reading-list
old.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/30dilm/books_with_the_same_vibe_as_true_detective/
old.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/2x4f7m/any_recommendations_for_fiction_novels_with_an/
old.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/3mv4a8/season_1_books_like_season_1/
old.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/3cfk7m/no_spoilers_novels_similar_to_true_detective/
youtu.be/QVuBeTpZc-0?t=268
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The King in Yellow and Ligotti are what Pizza mentioned I think

Anything by Ligotti

Did anyone else feel like this series was pretentious as fuck? It might've been because I was watching without paying much attention but I felt like Rust was just spouting off emo platitudes without any substance.

Yes. He is supposed to come off that way. Rust =/= the show (and it's message)

>Rust was just spouting off emo platitudes without any substance.
Well there was some substance to it, but you were supposed to find Rust a bit comical. That's why they have Marty make fun of him, and show that his beliefs are more a reaction to personal tragedy than a philosophical outlook. He also lets go of his pessimism at the climax of the season

rust was just regurgitating the idea of thomas ligotti who is just regurgitating the ideas of emil cioran and Arthur Schopenhauer.

i kind of feel like there is some autist who continuously spams Yea Forums about this one season. Like who gives a fuck, move on already faggot

Attached: quote-just-remember-once-you-re-over-the-hill-you-begin-to-pick-up-speed-arthur-schopenhauer-164783. (850x400, 54K)

That's the whole point. At the beginning he is a pessimistic atheist pseud and at the end after his near-death experience he comes to believe there actually is something more

>pretentious as fuck?
How I can tell you're a nigger/plebeian/scum.
Go kill yourself describing pretentious as a derogatory.

OP here I have read Ligotti & Chanber's work but I'm looking for something a bit more narrative(?)
Michael McDowell is the only one I can think of that really comes close but even Darkwater doesn't really do it for me. I want police cover ups and backwoods occult shit

Attached: 2979572.jpg (282x475, 39K)

You have to be a retard to interpret the word 'pretentious' as anything other than a pejorative.

>pretentious
Pretentious is a good thing.
Only plebs deem people as such because they have terrible taste and are bewildered that someone can be so smooth and refined.

>attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.
In what world is that a good thing, retard? Go back to Yea Forums

2666 kinda

Attached: wb.jpg (1475x2223, 287K)

I see criticisms like this a lot but no one can ever actually say substantively why they dislike it.

>Schopenhauer
Ligotti calls him a fag and says Zapffe was better though.

The House on the Borderlands, Song of Kali and Exquisite Corpse. Oh, also, My Work Is Not Yet Done

Its funny. I've never read 2666 but I would still compare it to True detective season 1.

If you want substantive critiques you've come to the wrong place. Nobody on Yea Forums is going to go through the series taking notes and writing down quotations so they can give a formal critique

Naah. 2666 has substance and depth and heft too.

True detective has substance and depth and heft too

Anyone can say 'it's [blah] as fuck because [blah] [blahingly]'. It's pointless.

I think it was supposed to come off that way. although from what I've 90% of the "fans" of the series didnt understood it.

buzzfeed.com/lincolnmichel/a-true-detective-reading-list
old.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/30dilm/books_with_the_same_vibe_as_true_detective/
old.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/2x4f7m/any_recommendations_for_fiction_novels_with_an/
old.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/3mv4a8/season_1_books_like_season_1/
old.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/3cfk7m/no_spoilers_novels_similar_to_true_detective/

The ending is pure shit. I wanted payoff with the fucking weird child sex cult thing but noooo its just some inbred janitor that painted a house

You obviously didn't pay attention. Did you not see the video of the occult sex ritual Marty watches with all the elite politicians in the masks. At the end you can also hear on the TV Rust is watching that the FBI denied that the killer was related to a high ranking Louisiana senator even though we know he was

They obviously werent the true perperators. They were the only one that could punished. The true criminals were true powerful to be convicted.

>but we got ours
youtu.be/QVuBeTpZc-0?t=268

right these are both perfect examples of southern gothic crime noir you fucking retards. I'm aware that pizzaman cribbed from these but they have almost nothing to do with what OP is asking

>Yes I've read Galveston
How was it?

Every time I see these threads I feel like I’m the only one that really enjoyed Rust as a character before the end.
I’m not being a baby about it, but I happen to agree with a lot of his pessimism.

It literally ripped off the Conspiracy Against the Human Race, so that

The Name of the Rose, but only noumenally.

if it wasn't garbage, it wouldn't be on television. hell, if it's moving pictures, it's probably shite.

Get off Yea Forums, you braindead reactionary retard

no, you fuck off to Yea Forums, you mouth breathing turd, this is a literature board,

The only Yea Forums tv show is better call saul

So theatre is literature to you but film isn't? Why?

theatre is tv for luddites, debating class fag

You think Shakespeare is literature but you refuse to accept writing in films as literature because you yourself are a luddite

>compares shakespeare to tv screen writers
imagine being this much of a retard

There's no reason a screenwriter can't be as good as a playwright, nor is there reason to think the former is any 'less literature' than the latter. Shakespeare was just an example.

>tv junkie spinning the hamster wheel this hard in order to justify his boomer tier tastes
it was not just an example, you thought you had the ultimate knockout argument which turned out to be useless. shakespearean plays are not tv, get over yourself and go watch some netflix.

Since you have no argument, I'm gonna assume you're baiting.

you're the kind of person that reads catcher in the rye and complains about how holden is a whiny child

>gets btfo
>hehehe i'm just gonna pretend you're baiting so i don't piss my pants in anger
literally debating class tier

Attached: 51rYrL55-FL._SX258_BO1 204 203 200_.jpg (260x335, 24K)

The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock

I'd rather laugh at how hilariously pretentious people who idolize Holden Caulfield are

Inbred janitor was a patsy, that's the point. Rust's redemption was the catharsis, but the world is still an evil place.

just read McCarthy its better anyway

Attached: marty.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

Joe R Lansdale kinda has that in alot of his stories that are set in East Texas/west Louisiana

WHEEEEN THE LAST LIGHT WARMS THE ROCKS AND THE RATTLESNAKES UINFOLD

Attached: woody.jpg (960x540, 30K)

In Cold Blood reminded me of it a lot, even though that’s non-fiction (mostly)

Try Frank Bill’s books, Crimes in Southern Indiana: Stories, and Donnybrook

Also look up Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock, I loved that one

Google midwestern gothic and hillbilly gothic, I have read some in this genre and find the mix of the literary and American rural working class life very interesting

>The only Yea Forums tv show is better call saul
why is it lit/ ?

Because it literally triggers them.