In the case of everything attractive or useful or that you are fond of, remember to say just what sort of thing it is...

> In the case of everything attractive or useful or that you are fond of, remember to say just what sort of thing it is, beginning with the least little things. If you are fond of a jug, say “I am fond of a jug!” For then when it is broken you will not be upset. If you kiss your child or your wife, say that you are kissing a human being; for when it dies you will not be upset."
> from Epictetus, The Encheiridion

What did he mean by this? Why not care about your wife and child?

Attached: 44442293_329349697858941_682422870719019008_n.jpg (1080x1192, 79K)

It is not about "not caring about your wife and children", it is about recognizing that they are not immortal and that eventually you will lose them, no matter by their death, your death or other circumstances.

>suffering bad

>don't internalize the fact that people will die and be at peace with that
>instead start sucking all intimacy and attachment from your fellow beings and things so you'll be an automaton when they break or die!
Stoicism is for HOMOS
it's the exact opposite of Hedonism
I FOLLOW THE MIDDLE PATH

exactly, why not have the pleasure of calling her your wife, even if the suffering is bad it'll never overcome the pleasure of treating her as your wife and not a just a bot with expiry date

Recognizing your wife is a mortal doesn't mean you will consider her a bot.

STOP POSTING JEZEBELS.

>"If you kiss your child or your wife, say that you are kissing a human being; for when it dies you will not be upset."
>"I love you, my dear human being. What would I do without you, my lovely human being?"
cringe
that shit will bleed into your waking life and you'll start thinking of wife like she's a ghost and not physically there
>friend asks how your wife's doing
>"my human being is doine fine, thank you"
EEEEEEEW

The secret for a good marriage is lying to yourself that your wife is not a human being?
>my wife is actually a vampire/ayy lmao/goddess

That sort of talk will have her speed dialing her divorce lawyer in no time
to even consider thinking of speaking like that to your wife reeks of pure unfiltered autism
to them it's like women thinking of men as walking wallets or something, it's utterly impersonal.

featherless biped you ignoramus

big cringe

I believe Epictetus was not thinking about saying that loud. And he was pretty far from being an autist.

But still, what is the alternative to thinking your wife is human?
Being /x/ and marrying a succubus?

she's so pretty i wish she's hold me

also succubi are real

You don't need to take away her humanity to consider her a human
unless you're an extreme autist. You think guys like these philosophers are well rounded individuals? Nietzche got played by Salome and he died with her name on his lips lol

For a majority of human existence, sudden and unexpected deaths were very common.

The current situation int he West where your dad dies at age 80 and your 1 child is guaranteed to make it to adulthood is an aberration.

Epictetus was famous and admired in large parts for being a mentally healthy, happy man.
Recognizing your wife as a mortal human is recognizing the truth (as long as you are not from /x/)

His stuff sounds like you're reducing her to just a mortal being, not someone much more. You can always act like a romantic nutter while being fully aware of the fact that she's gonna plop dead one day.

DO. NOT. BULLY. MY. BOY. FREDDY. NIETZSCHE. He was a sensitive boy 'aight?

What the hell is that thing on her head.

a fez

I was more like wtf are those eyes. She is an alien.

she looks like the female version of reviewbrah

he was an sperg bronie faget

Attached: nobully.jpg (600x622, 47K)

Some people dont like getting their photo taken, she's pissed off at the person with the camera

Attached: df8398f2ffcf176050af11bf627edc213b387a6d2af497a16d6fa1c44deab547.jpg (500x359, 32K)

holy...i want more

Okay faggot

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-09-21-45-43.png (480x800, 537K)

It will make you appreciate the time you have with your wife even more if you remember that she is mortal.