What is the best version of King Arthur?

What is the best version of King Arthur?
Once and future king? Something else?

Attached: Charles_Ernest_Butler_-_King_Arthur.jpg (780x1337, 280K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thebritishhistorypodcast.com/bonus-episode-le-mort-de-arthur/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Version is perhaps the wrong way to think about it, it being a mythology

But if you mean a telling of the fundamental myth The Once and Future King is of course a retelling of Le Morte d'Arthur

otherwise the primary sources: look up the vulgate cycle + Chretien de Troyes

Another modern novelistic approach is the Crystal Cave series, a good read

What about the history of the kings of britain

Thank you for the recommendations. I am not OP, but I am also interested in Arthurian studies.

Attached: 9780192812179.jpg (363x550, 37K)

Definitely worth reading for the broader mythic perspective, but not the best for a rendition of arthur. Big 3 are Malory, de Troyes, and TH White, but personally I especially enjoyed the alliterative Morte.

>the alliterative Morte
never heard of this, but a quick search found it. thanks user, i love middle-english alliterative verse.
also,
>author unknown
intriguing

Op here thanks for these recommendations. I'm leaning toward Malory currently but I'm not quite sure yet

Mallory is one of the originals (certainly in english), so a great place to start.
Holds up pretty well for a 700 year old novel.

The British History Podcast did a reading of the first four chapters of Malory so you can listen and decide if you want more.
thebritishhistorypodcast.com/bonus-episode-le-mort-de-arthur/

Thanks.
Only complaints I've found are people saying it's difficult to read because it's not written like modern fantasy novel, which I find to be an idiotic criticism

It's written more like a medieval chronicle, because that's kind of what it is.
If somebody is expecting a modern novel from the 1400s, then they are truly retarded.

>people ITT missing an opportunity to post first rate pasta
This board has really gone downhill

Here is the pasta from a based arthurian teacher user:
+Gildas: On the Ruin & Conquest of Britain (De excidio et conquest Britanniae), 547 A.D.
+Bede: The Ecclesiastical History of the English People (Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum), c. 731 A.D.
+Nennius: The History of the Britons (Historia Brittonum), c. 800 A.D.
+The Annals of Cambria (Annales Cambriae), c. 970 A.D.
+William, Chaplain to Bishop Eudo of Leon: Legend of St. Goeznovius (Legenda Sancti Goeznovii), c. 1019 A.D.
+William of Malmesbury: The Deeds of English Kings (De rebus gestis regum Anglorum) 1125 A.D.
+The Black Book of Carmarthen (Llyfr Du Caerfyrddin) c. 1250 A.D.
+What Man is the Porter? (Pa Gur yv y Portaur) Welsh poem-fragment transcribed c. 1250 A.D.
+Aneirin: Y Gododdin (Book of Aneirin) Welsh poem transcribed c. 1250 A.D.
+Geoffrey of Monmouth (Galfridus Monemutensis): Prophecies of Merlin (Prophetiae Merlini) c. 1130 A.D., History of the Kings of Britain (Historia Regum Britanniae) c. 1136 A.D., Life of Merlin (Vita Merlini) c. 1150 A.D.
+Song of Roland (La Chanson de Roland ):“The Knights Code of Chivalry & Vows of Knighthood” c. 1150 A.D.
+Wace: The French Romance of Brutus (Roman de Brut) c. 1155 A.D.
+Béroul: The Romance of Tristan (Le Roman de Tristan) c. 1160 A.D.
+Thomas of Britain: Tristan c. 1160 A.D.
+Marie de France: The Lay of Chievrefueil & Lanval c. 1170 A.D.
+The Rise of Gawain, Nephew of Arthur (De Ortu Waluuanii Nepotis Arturi) c. 1170 A.D.
+Chrétien de Troyes: The Knight of the Cart (Lancelot, le Chevalier de la Charrette) c. 1175 A.D. Perceval, the Story of the Grail (Perceval, le Conte du Graal). 1181 A.D.
+Layamon: The Chronicle of Britain (Brut) c. 1190 A.D.

Attached: the-all-mighty.jpg (1507x932, 229K)

Parsifal and Lohengrin.

Attached: wagner.jpg (638x478, 73K)

What is this for? Getting into King Arthur?

I can only assume it's getting into English mythology. Kinda like the start with the greeks thing but less philosophy

Thanks user. This looks like a serious list. I've always been intrigued by Britain between Rome and the later period in which England came to be a thing

>I've always been intrigued by Britain between Rome and the later period in which England came to be a thing
Monmouth's 'History of the Kings of Britain' is the one for you then. It covers that entire period, although a lot of it is probably fabricated.

Add a few other works, like Canterbury Tales, the Pearl Poems, and Piers Plowman, and this would be a pretty comprehensive list of the 'Matter of Britain'.

>Chanson de Roland
Why? This is a Matter of Britain thread

The Crystal Cave and The Hollow Hills by Mary Stuart - novelization of King Arthur as seen through Merlin Ambrosius eyes...

You left off the other half.
It was an user's list for teaching matter of britain.

+Giraldus Cambrensis: On the Instruction of Princes (De instructione principum) c. 1195 A.D.
+Robert de Boron: The prose romance of Perceval (The Didot Perceval) c. 1200 A.D.
+De Boron’s lost Merlin poem was rewritten in prose as the Prose Merlin (Vulgate Estoire de Merlin) c. 1240, and is in one manuscript followed by the Suite du Merlin (Huth Merlin or Post-Vulgate Suite du Merlin), a sequel or extension c. 1230 A.D.
+Wolfram von Eschenbach: Parzival c. 1210 A.D.
+Andreas Capellanus: The Rules of Courtly Love (De Amore, De arte honeste amandi) c. 1185 A.D.
+The Saga of the Mantle (M ̨ottuls saga) Old Norse c. 1270
+White Book of Rhydderch (Llyfr Gwyn Rhydderch) transcribed c. 1350 A.D. & Red Book of Hergest (Llyfr Coch Hergest) c. 1382 A.D. [collected & translated as The Mabinogion by Lady Charlotte Guest 1838-1849]: {“Culhwch and Olwen” composed c. 1100 A.D.}
+The Spoils of Annwn (Preiddeu Annwfn) Book of Taliesin transcribed c.1330 A.D.
+Cantare on the Death of Tristan (I Cantari di Tristano) transcribed c. 1350 A.D.
+“Pearl-poet”: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Cotton Nero A.x.) c. 1400 A.D.
+The Alliterative Morte Arthure (Lincoln Thornton Manuscript) c. 1400 A.D.
+Philip III, Duke of Burgundy: The Chivalric Virtues c. 1430 A.D.
+The Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnell (The Weddynge of Syr Gawen and Dame Ragnell) c. 1470.
+Sir Thomas Malory: Le Morte Darthur. Winchester Manuscript (The hoole booke of kyng Arthur & of his noble knyghtes of the rounde table) c. 1470 A.D. William Caxton’s first printing 1485 A.D.
+William Morris: “The Defence of Guenevere,” “King Arthur’s Tomb,” “Sir Galahad, A Christmas Mystery,” “The Chapel in Lyoness,” & “Near Avalon” (The Defence of Guenevere and Other Poems) 1858 A.D.
+Alfred, Lord Tennyson: “The Coming of Arthur,” “Gareth & Lynette,” “Lancelot and Elaine,” “The Holy Grail,” “The Last Tournament,” “Guinevere,” “The Passing of Arthur,” (Idylls of the King) 1856-1885 A.D. & “The Lady of Shalott” 1842 A.D.

>Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
How is tolkiens translation of this

Glad to have made a good recommendation. Is a great read. If you haven't read it, Tolkien also has some substantive fragments of that alliterative verse in much more readable English in Lays of Beleriand.
Still useful as context for a lot of the matter of britain works.