Subvocalization while reading

How to stop it?
>inb4 you need it for the enjoyment of belletristics
I want to read everything with no inner voice.
I don't care about the """comfyness""" of narration, or what voices you can read with. Only literal children need their literature narrated to understand shit.

Attached: images.jpg (296x170, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1529100615623267
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I didn't subvocalize until I came on here and saw you faggots whining about it. You fuckers infected me with it and now I can't make it go away. Fuck you brainlet.

Just read to yourself out loud like a real Chad.

Every time you start vocalizing, just calmly collect yourself and gently take your internal voice away, as if it were a delicate and affectious cat in the way of your work. With time, the vocalizing will be absent most of the time.

I'm always so happy that I have a link to this meta-study bookmarked:
journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1529100615623267

If you think "subvocalization = bad" is true, then you're a gullible retard. You're probably the type of idiot who opens bananas from the bottom since that's also "the actual correct way."

There's no correct way. It's all about reasons and purposes. I open my bananas from the bottom because I like them ripe and it's easier to open them from the top (reason) and I prefer to read with no subvocalization because it takes less time (purpose).

Attached: ripe.jpg (216x216, 15K)

*it's easier to open them from the bottom than from the top

A little story I heard about Bloom is that he scans entire paragraphs and just picks out the ‘gist’ of a page by noting the prescient points in an almost subconscious state. It means he can read hundreds of pages a day.

If this was how reading was meant to be done...then why not just publish books with a few words which capture the gist

Why is narrating bad?

I have no data but I KNOW subvocalizing is mostly an Anglo issue.

I do this to cram desu

That isn't what "prescient" means. You mean "pertinent" or something like that.

how is it even possible to understand what you're reading without that voice in your head

you're wrong.
t. eastern european

Haven't seen this meme for a while

What does subvocalizing even mean? Hearing a "voice" in your head while you read, reciting words silently with your mouth/throat? The fuck?

Just reading in your head

How else can you read?

it's a meme by OP

>everything
Subvocalisation is shit when you're slogging through pages of surface-level trash but it's really necessary when you're trying to understand deep, important, and we'll worded points. Don't discount it entirely just because it's slow.

What the fuck does that even mean

It's as if you're reading out loud, but you're only perceiving it in your head without hearing sound. The surest sign to know if you're doing it is to lightly press your finger against your throat while reading. If you feel faint movements consistent with "speaking softly" while reading, then you know you're subvocalizing.

Everyone subvocalizes whether they realize it or not, even while scanning and skimming. You just don't feel the muscles moving in your throat.

But I like subvocalizing, savoring the words, pronouncing them to myself in almost oratory fashion, giving them a dramatic flair. I'm not a beep boop computer analyzing data beep boop assimilating text's meaning me good robot beep boop. fuckin autists

see pic

The "Speed Reading Program" is not a scientific institution, they have no idea what they're talking about. It's impossible to read without subvocalizing.

>It's impossible to read without subvocalizing
pretty sure one can easily read numbers and equations without subvocalizing. also the visual comprehension is the way e.g. native chinese and japanese people understand the meaning of texts

Holy fuck you dipshits. You literally need to subvocalize so your mind can actually engage with language. Since you learned speech before writing, your mind needs to piggyback off vocalization in order to interpret linguistic signs. It's called fucking embodied cognition you jagoffs.

What kind of galaxy brain do you need to be able to read without reading the words in your head?
Also when I read its 100% silent and there is no throat activity, i dont know if you psueds have been deepthroating too much dick or what.

still it's a matter of habit hence you can change the way you read
see

>Since you learned speech before writing, your mind needs to piggyback off vocalization in order to interpret linguistic signs.
>thinking it's words -> sounds -> concepts and not words -> concepts thinking one cannot intuit concepts directly or at least sub-linguistically
>likely being a monolingual or esl pleb who cannot comprehend speaking a 2nd language as naturally and dexterously as the 1st

H-how did you know?

This. I'm bilingual and I don't subvocalize in either language. Subvocalizing is truly brainlet tier activity.

>You just don't feel the muscles moving in your throat.
Great perspective, now we only need to follow this backwards to the nerve firings, and to measure blood flow across Broca's area. Then recruit a hundred people to a study with two control groups where you can consciously change brain activation, while reading, and furthermore, show that the treatment group had higher speed-reading skills than the control.

... or you can dedicate your time to something more useful, for instance shitposting on cartoon forum

> I don't care about the """comfyness""" of narration,
your " " " " hemorrhagic " " " " use of these quotation marks is designed to manipulate my saccades whilst reading, right? you're a fraudulent frolicking fuck either way. don't try to manipulate me.

Attached: 1533071877384.png (1080x760, 117K)

I usually do subvocalize when reading books, although it takes more time. I think it's just more enjoyable to read with subvocalization than without. I usually do not subvocalize when reading street signs, adverts, stuff like that. idk how to stop, i cant control this.

kek based bored neuro grad student

>Asians interpret data like computers

Interesting

I can do like 40 50 pages in an hour anyway so im content

it's pretty easy to stop, just read fast enough so that your mind get the meaning but don't have time to actually read

Although, it honestly stinks because you'll wont understand the book as well as if you read it normally
Believe me I use both depending on how fast I wanna read and subvocalizing is way better to understand things

this is a speed reading technique.