What the hell did I just read?!?

I just finished this book 5 minutes ago. It took me around 8 months to finish because I found it mostly boring and difficult to follow. I do not understand why my friend Jayme recommended this book to me. I'm proud of myself for sticking with it to completion but I kept waiting for it to make sense and it never did. Also fuck Hal, tennis, Orin, and Prep Tennis those chapters were torturous to get through.

What was the point of this book /lit?

Attached: images.jpg (194x259, 10K)

If it takes you 8 months that doesn’t even count as reading it. It should take you a month tops.

If you take a month or less that doesn't even count as reading it. It should take you at least eight weeks.

It was merely a jest

you could say, an infinite jest

This book sucked. It was unique but not an enjoyable read at all.

Your serve is a little stiff, you need to relax your elbow, you hesitate in your follow-through, you know where you want the ball to go, you're unsure of your ability to put it there, you don't allow yourself to be accurate, it would seem like a gross display talent, showing off, you don't want to make people jealous or angry at you for being skilled at something, you're ready to allow your opponent to win, and then it's like dominoes, everybody will beat you, the whole world, because you beat yourself before the match even began

I read it in about two weeks. It didn't impress me.

You're too stupid to understand the book. Ask your friend to explain it to you.

based jayme

I'm on the same boat. I'm halfway and the only good parts are Gately anf the other substance addicts. It feels like there are two badly edited books mixed together.

yes ping pong the animation was great, I mostly agree.

I'm thinking on getting this book because I've been recommended plenty of times
am I just being memed? Is it actually good?

Man do I fucking hate player pianos

I love it. Read it 3 times. In a later interview DFW said it was actually not possibly to completely understand it based on what ended up in the final cut. Though you could understand it pretty much, especially if you read it twice. I can give some hints but they are spoilers. 1. Reread the first chapter and look for the Gately reference. 2. Think about the Poor Yorick connection 3. Why did he use a microwave to commit suicide?

Thematically, read "Westward the Course of the Empire Takes its Way" from his book Girl with Curious Hair, and you'll get a better idea about how postmodernism and new sincerity play a role in IJ.

dfw trying to hang with the big boys and falling short

>In the end we truly were an Infinite Jest

lol okay Dave

Oh shoot, it's DFA
What's up, guy?

Why did he use a microwave?

You read a fucking MEME BOOK

how does that contribute to better understanding of IJ?

Just don't take it seriously, my dude

Is that what they say of Joyce?

He wanted his skull empty.

Jayme wanted to hook you into big brain mode and you didn't have the resolve.

I stucked at the Madame Psychosis part.

This! It felt like reading two different books, one of which was a a total bore!

>not liking prep tennis parts
>not liking madame psychosis parts
>not liking the halfway house parts
>not hating the quebecois assassins parts
>not loving the entertainment parts
>not loving the mario parts
>not hating the orin parts
>not loving the wardine part
>not loving the eschaton parts

sure smells like PLEBEIAN in here

I'm halfway through my first-ever reading, and I love it. I don't want it to end.

That's how I felt. Pale King is the same.

I can’t imagine someone finishing this book and not enjoying it. I had a great time.

So props to you I guess?

Replace madame pychosis will wardine and you have the perfect novel

Sorry it's been awhile, but who put the master in his head? Madame Psychosis? How could she have logistically done that?