Not sure if this is the right board...

Not sure if this is the right board. I speak English as second language and I want to know if this is correct usage of the word "laying". It was spoken by someone who appears to have English as first language but it's not how I learned to use the word when I read about it online a while back. I've spoken English for many years but I was never sure about the words "laying" and "lying".
>But we have a piece of tissue and we have the two wounds, an entry and an exit, and that's the reason that bullet was laying there because it exited that arm.

Attached: 1508900204090.png (478x481, 293K)

Other urls found in this thread:

murderbookpodcast.com/episode/chapter-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what is this image... :(

Go away

I think lying. I'm not sure though. Native speaker

if this man is dead, i'm leaving this board forever. once and for all. u people are depraved beyond language

murderbookpodcast.com/episode/chapter-1
@45:50 he says it

just use a fucking search engine, this is basic

As I said it's not how I learned to use the word. Maybe it's a regional accent thing?

Laying is never correct

What do you mean never? Also, you think this detective doesn't know how to use the word? I also heard a woman say "I'm laying in bed" but she wasn't a native speaker so that's different.

Answer me, someone. What am I seeing here?

Sam Hyde making a silly face. He is not dead.

It's Sam Hyde. You could have just clicked the arrow next to the post number, then image search>>google

Just finished the first chapter. Very interesting, going to listen to the next chapter tomorrow. It's kind of Yea Forums related because it's Michael Connelly's podcast.

Oh, I can see how that would be upsetting if you thought that was a corpse.

Laying is transitive, lying is correct, everyone and everything lies

He means lying. A lot of English as a first language speakers mix up the conjugation of lay and lie and their use.
That user's wrong. Laying is correct in some cases (laying out a table, spread, or body for funeral or even laying out maps/plans), but not in the case mentioned in OP as the verb is to lie not to lay in that case.

For example, a hen can lay an egg into her nest. Afterwards, the egg will be lying in the nest.

It is an image of a man that has gotten away with too many things for too many times.

>You could have just clicked the arrow next to the post number
Nigger, you are supposed to tell the newfags and retards the longform on how to image search - not the shortcut.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-13 lit - ruby dhal I thought this was parody at first but - Literature - 4chan(4) (1319x99, 9K)

la criatura de america

That is correct

But it will be "laying right there" which is the tense which was used

Lying sounds better, but it would work as either since they are colloquially interchangeable.
I prefer to use laying when referring to something that has been laid down, usually on top of something. I use lying when speaking of something that has been in its spot for a while, or at least before I discovered it.
>They started laying their spades when they discovered the treasure lying in the dirt

Attached: 1532797360863.jpg (244x295, 32K)

You never say that someone is going to lie something/someone else on the ground. It is always themselves. For example:
" I'm lying down. "

Samir El-Hyadi. Notorious Egyptian protestor/concept artist. Got arrested and still in jail. Kinda miss his videos...

Bullshit, that's obviously the ace Mossad operative Shmuel ha-Yid, and he gets away with everything and would never get arrested.

>A lot of English as a first language speakers mix up the conjugation
Usage dictates definition.

Accept its not enuff to swing yous too a nu meaning, just a common misstake.

A mistake would be something that the speaker in question would be able to notice as sounding wrong himself. For example:
>"I was sitting on the car. No, sorry, I meant 'in the car.'"
Stuff like that happens, from time to time. But if the speaker doesn't find that usage strange or unnatural, then it's simply part of his dialect. In linguistic terms it doesn't matter why a semantic change occurs because linguists don't prescribe usage, they simply document it. A linguist prescribing usage would be about as silly as a physicist telling a drop of water:
>"Stop it, water is not supposed to behave this way!"

Laying eggs, as hens do.

>A mistake would be something that the speaker in question would be able to notice as sounding wrong himself
Are you retarded?
>But if the speaker doesn't find that usage strange or unnatural, then it's simply part of his dialect.
>Everyone is totally fluent and representative of their dialect invariably
Oh you are retarded.>In linguistic terms it doesn't matter why a semantic change occurs because linguists don't prescribe usage, they simply document it
Linguistics recognises errors, and does not lump them all into common use. That is why accept instead of except is still an error, because it has not become a dialect or commonly used enough to pass into common use. That is why documenting errors is not the same as documenting semantic change, as often there is not a semantic change after an error. People just fuck up without noticing, and even if their audience does not notice, it is not enough to make it a common use. Common use requires more than one speaker's, or a few speakers', error, it requires it to supplant all other uses. Common errors do not make the grade for common use in incidence.

>Linguistics recognises errors, and does not lump them all into common use
Which I already stated. Linguists don’t define errors the way you think they do.

>That is why accept instead of except is still an error
That’s purely a spelling error caused by the words sounding similar (maybe even possibly being homonyms in certain dialects) and has nothing to do with semantic drift.

>Which I already stated. Linguists don’t define errors the way you think they do.
You seem to think they define confusion of lay and lie as common use, when they don't, and don't list them as common errors, which they do.
The OED disagrees with you that it's passed into common use, and they are the standard of that.>That’s purely a spelling error caused by the words sounding similar (maybe even possibly being homonyms in certain dialects) and has nothing to do with semantic drift.
It is the same kind of error as mistaking lie and lay. Again, actual linguists and common use lexicographers say you are wrong, and falsely documenting use. You can cry about it but you won't be prolific enough to cause semantic drift any time soon.

Shmuley Hydenberg. He's a known terrorist who authorerd a manual for bombing the US gov't and got away with it

>and they are the standard of that
You do of course realize, being the well-read person that you surely are, that OED is descriptive in nature? It does not claim to be an authority on usage.

>genuinely thinking that's a corpse
What's going on, big guy?

Attached: 1550456766650-tg.gif (320x180, 3.28M)

what are you talking about?
present: that bullet is lying there
past: that bullet lay there/that bullet was lying there
That's how I learned it.