One Hundred Years of Solitude: the Netflix Series. What could possibly go wrong, Yea Forums?

One Hundred Years of Solitude: the Netflix Series. What could possibly go wrong, Yea Forums?

Attached: 5c7fd841c46f4.jpg (950x475, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mBfP4_c2rw8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why is incest always referenced in south american literature?

too much incest

>founded in 1997 by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph
>Randolph’s paternal great-granduncle was psychoanalysis pioneer Sigmund Freud and his paternal great-uncle was Edward Bernays, an Austrian-American pioneer in the field of public relations and propaganda.

Poor people live in huge families in single room "huts", every hole is fair game

The Latin perepeteia is sexual deviance.

It isn't, though? Name another work that references incest. And let's not act as if incest doesn't exist in other literatures. Game of Thrones' main conflict is incest and not the acceptable one. And that got a successful TV show.

>and not the acceptable one
What is the acceptable one?

Cousins isn't as fucked up as brother-sister or father-daughter.

When I was in highschool 7 years ago, I though it was, indeed, impossible to adapt 100 Years of Solitude. However, after Better Call Saul and Club de Cuervos, I'm definitely excited for this announcement.

Looking for the fourth generation tales (Aureliano Segundo and his daughter Meme, José Arcadio Segundo, Fenanda del Carpio, Petra Cotes).
Also, I hope they find a way to make the war chapters less dull.

You know, after you said Better Call Saul, I could understand your point, it CAN be done

>the war chapters
Either they will skip alot or it would be a season in and of itself

I just hope they could make a great adaptation which makes people look forward the source material, just like Jojo's Part 5 is doing right now.

I don't know what could be wrong, but I do know what scenes I would like them to put special attention to detail:

>First scene showing us Coronel Aureliano Buendía near death.
>Macondo's beggining under José Arcadio Buendía's leadership.
>Young Pilar Ternera's noisy laugh.
>Aurelito's pedophilia.
>Pietro Crespi, Amaranta and Rebeca love triangle.
>José Arcadio Buendía's death.
>Arcadio's last wish.
>The bloody carnaval introducing Remedios, la Bella.
>Aureliano Segundo's journey to marry Fernanda.
>Aueliano Segundo's love with his lover.
>Meme's summer with Mauricio.
>Mauricio's last yellow butterflies.
>Banana Co.
>Rainy days.
>The death of José Arcadio, the Pope.
>Amaranta Úrsula's noisy sex.
>Aureliano Babilonia meets his friends.
>Amaranta Úrsula's tender love.
>Melquiades last words.

Dude the ending will be absolutely kino.

>it CAN be done.
If they make every time jump as a teaser, just like Better Call Saul, it will probably flow very well.

And, talking about the marvelous realism bits, I think if they handle them like they handled the Zombie's arc in Club de Cuervos, it will feel plausible.

The rest is detail, acting and soul that I know Netflix is cappable of...

I honestly thought it would be better as an animated series.

This should be the opening music:

youtu.be/mBfP4_c2rw8

>Better Call Saul
Is this serie any good?

If you live in the Middle East, half of the country is your cousin.

Yes. First season is great, and it just gets better and better each season. It's not a plot-drived series because that would be boring since we all already watched Breakin Bad end. It's a THEME-drived series, because even when we already know what's going to happen, it's still captivating.

I really hope Paolo Sorrentino directs this or maybe Wong Kar Wai

>Name another work that references incest
Literary any other book by Garcia Marquez.

Not enough incest. Not enough focus on Jose Arcadio's monster cock.

Amaranta and Aureliano José encounters will be kino as fuck.

Jose Arcadio Buendía - Acuarius
Úrsula - Leo
José Arcadio cock monster - Taurus
Coronel Aureliano Buendía - Pisces
Amaranta - Capricorn
Pilar Ternera - Scorpio
Arcadio the dictator - Virgo
Santa Sofía de la Piedad - Cancer
Aureliano Segundo - Gemini
Remedios, la Bella - Virgo
José Arcadio Segundo - Cancer
Meme - Libra
Mauricio Babilonia - Gemini
Fernanda del Carpio - Leo
Petra Cotes - Scorpio
José Arcadio, the Pope - Scorpio
Amaranta Úrsula - Sagittarius
Gastón - Capricorn
Aureliano Babilonia - Pisces

Oh! I forgot:
Rebeca - Aries

we want to be like White Americans.

>literary any other work by Marky Marc.

no, he has several that dont you fucking unread uncultured swine.

burgers BTFO

I'm honestly disappointed at this news. It's fucking bullshit that the jew sons want to sell their dad's novel to fucking netflix of all companies.
What makes the story so captivating is that although is based in colombia, it describes aspects of daily life that are part of every community in latin america, including the cousin-fucking and peadophilia. And knowing how faggy anglos are about this, it's going to be altered to suit their agenda. Mauricio babilonia will probably be a nigger, when he might as well could, as the part of colombia where macondo is at, is near cartagena, the biggest ports during the slave trade of the spanish empire, but that is besides the point as garcía márquez never made explicit that he was a nigger because it would not anything to the story.
The last five pages of the novel left a big impression on me, and sometimes I like to read them only to get a thrilling sensation as I approach the end that i always knew was coming, and the literary orgasm as i read the last two sentences.
To think that a tv series for fucking lazy people unable to read 500 pages, in whatever language they fucking want, may overshadow some of the most powerful works ever written outside of the book of psalms, makes me sick to my fucking stomach.
I think i'm going to go full ted, boys.

Nothing went wrong, that's what it was meant for, and the series will probably be less boring.

I think your concerns are justified. USA writers would probably fuck up all the latin american approach to those themes you mencioned. However, I think Netflix is far more aware than Hollywood about shit like this. I mean, they will probably hire some latin american head to lead this proyect, and they will probably let the critique to the Destino Manifiesto (Banana Co.) be just as we read it in the book. I think it's possible... but, in the worst case, if we get a full Death Note-thier adaptation... well, it's not the end of the world. The book will remain the same, and it's always possible to make another adaptation.

>Mauricio Babilonia will probably be a nigger.
I always imagined him as a sweaty and vulgar, but still charming, mechanic... to contrast with the so called good education of Meme Buendía. Like the colombian version of Tom Branson from Downtown Abbey.

he asked what could go wrong, not what would save the series

>Mauricio babilonia will probably be a nigger
In my mind I saw him as a dark skin mulatto guy.

based and melquiadespilled

It'd be a SJWfest thats for sure.

>Better Call Saul
Patrician tier
>Club de Cuervos
Pleb tier

Club de Cuervos might be pleb in the surface, but they managed to make the best shit possible with that approach to mexican culture.
The only real problem I see it's the second season. It made me drop the series for awhile... but it definitely got miles better.

Season 4 > Season 3 > Season 1 > Yo, Potro > La Balada de Hugo Sánchez > Season 2.

Which are you favourite characters?
Mine:

>José Arcadio Buendía
>Aureliano (pre-war saga)
>Remedios Moscote
>Aureliano Segundo
>Remedios, la bella.
>Petra Cotes
>Meme Buendía
>Aureliano Babilonia
>Amaranta Úrsula

I think he was mulatto because of fernanda's outright refusal of his courting of meme, which for her, being a cachaca, is incompletely unacceptable that a woman with her blood can mix with a no-name from la cienega. I mean it's pretty racist shit, but not in the way that americans understand it, so i wonder if the writers will stay true to the novel, or alter it to appeal to american sensibilities.
Also the part with jose arcadio bathing with a harem of boys, and possibly fucking them. I expect the writers to alter this part to not offend homosexuals in portraying a pedo faggot. It's bullshit because if the series was aimed at people in latin america, they could stay true to the work and nobody would be offended as society knows how to disringuish social commentary from works of fiction.
Writing this I came to the conclusion that a concern of mine is this series being made to appeal to dumb americans and their faggy sensibilities.

Colonel Aureliano Buendía. His suicide attempt will be kino.

The big question is, is this going to be in English or in Spanish?

>Meme, Mauricio and Fernanda's tragedy as personal race conflict.

Holy shit user, I've never thinked that in that way. It's true... I always though Fernanda was just a stupid classist mother who was against Mauricio because of a quesion of manners... but is something even deeper.

Coronel Aureliano Buendía's approach to life is something I never understood years ago... I even used to hate the chapter of his death... it was so dull for me. However, I re-read the book recently and, oh my god, Coronel's life was pure suffering. I mean, even his death was as pathetic as his life.
Truly kino indeed.

Anybody have that 100 Years cast table where all the main characters are played by the same guy?

Redpill me on this. I read it a while ago. Who's the nigger?

We're talking about Mauricio Babilonia. He was the love interest of the cheeeful rebel and passionate Meme Buendía.

He's not a nigger, though, but he's probably not blood pure. He's probably a mulato with indigenous ancestry.

If they adapt it with touch and good taste, José Arcadio's homosexuality and pedophilia will work without social scandals... it will just provoque personal scandals.

What the fuck man. Thank you for telling me this.

>chimping out that Colombians may or may not be depicted as non-Aryans
are you kidding me?

Unless you know about the history of colombia and how distinct parts of the country have different accents and skin colours, it can go over people's head. Fernanda is from bogota, which is in the mountains, macondo is near la cienaga, which is near the border with venezuela by the caribbean, another clue of this is that amaranta speaks wayuu, the tongue of the wayuu/guajiros; and people from that area tend to be of a darker complex because it is near cartagena, which was the main slave port of the empire in the caribbean, and a lot of blacks mixed with the criollos people there. Also, people from the mountains view people of the coast as socially inferior, there is the race element, but even a full spanish from the coast is inferior to them. Of course this is a stereotype, but to people of fernanda's social circle, it's still true to this day.
This book is pretty deep, man. It goes into the social structure of post-colonial colombia, which is pretty similar to other nations in the continents, at least the ones near the caribbean, and I know for a fact that it will be impossible to depict that in a screen adaptation.
At best I think they will make an incestous love story between different generations of nephews and aunts.
Now that I think about it people on Yea Forums will love this shit.

Lmao come on, be real. As soon as it's implied that the faggot priest-dropout is fucking kids, homosexuals will freak the fuck out. Unless, the writers make it into a critique of catholicism, which was not the intention of garcía márquez, at least in this particular episode.

If they hire competent people, they sure will include hints to those racial things.

Here in México, we have the same racial problems about the closeness to the sea. If you can, I recommend you a teather saga called Los Grandes Muertos, written by Luisa Josefina Hernández. That book is a deep approach to mexican race problems, if you let me to say it, just as good and perfect as Shakespeare's approach to race problems in Otello.

Well, if we are fair, José Arcadio's death by those children was Úrsula's fault.
Who thinks its a good idea to raise a Pope? Poor tormented boy...

I thought most mexicans were indios unless from the north.
I am not even colombian, i am venezuela, but we have the similar problems with people from the center valleys thinking they are superior to people from the coast or los llanos (similar to la cienega). It's not just the colour, it's the customs, the accents.
Fernanda just had that air of superiority that people that come from the high class in the city, which she was not because her dad was a fucking loser or else he would not have married his daughter to fucking no-name campesinos, have towards people from other parts of the country, especially the mulattos from the coast.

How would you handle episode schedule?

>Episode 1 - Many years later...
>Episode 2 - Macondo's origins.
>Episode 3 - José Arcadio becomes a man.
>Episode 4 - Under the chesnut leaves...
>Episode 5 - Your great-grandmother Remedios Moscote.
>Episode 6 - War days, part 1
>Episode 7 - War days, part 2
>Episode 8 - Arrival to the bloody carnival.
>Episode 9 - Aureliano Segundo makes the accordion laugh.
>Episode 10 - Macondo's summer miracle.
>Episode 11 - M stands for "a million butterflies".
>Episode 12 - Banana Co.
>Episode 13 - 4 years, 11 months and 2 days...
>Episode 14 - Amaranta Buendía must die.
>Episode 15 - Arrivam from a distant land.
>Episode 16 - Amarants Úrsula's noisy love.
>Episode 17 - Aureliano Babilonia's life adventure.
>Episode 18 - Melquiades last words...

Attached: Mauricio Babilonia.jpg (309x465, 28K)

In the case of García Márquez is literally because of Faulkner's influence

>Episode 2
>Riohacha's haunted ghost

>Episode 14
>Flirting with death

>Episode 16 as a long-running episode in three parts:
>Part 1 - Amaranta Úrsula's noisy love.
>Part 2 - Aureliano's lifetime adventure.
>Part 3 - Melquiades last words...

Not gonna watch it. The book describes my south American life perfectly and I refuse to let such a personal experience be altered by whatever shenanigans netflix comes up with.

All these similar sounding confusing names
I read almost 200 pages of this book today on a train journey and seemed kinda boring and repetitive desu
Fucking coronel aureliano keeps going in and out of town to wars. People randomly getting killed.
I thought there was supposed to be magic in this plot.

But Amaranta learns guajiro from a native woman.

Thank God we don't have niggers in my Hispaniv country.

3% are blacks. It may be a "race problem" for people in beach states like Veracruz or Guerrero but the rest of the country couldn't care less.

>thought most mexicans were indios unless from the north
Most Mexicans are Mestizos, a.ka. mixed Spanish/Native. The proportions may vary. Then next come Native-blooded folks, and then Spanish-blooded folks. The word "indio" is frowned upon here, like the N word in English.

Did you miss the part with the flying carpets or whatever? lmao

I saw a chart in one of the boards which had the percentage of the racial make up of latin american countries, and i was honestly surprised at the amount of indio blood in mexico, shit you guys probably had the biggest inmigration of spanish during the franco years and it still did not change it that much.

>indio
It's just a word, bro, and if you think about it, almost everyone on this continent has indio blood in them, bar the incetous europeans.

TV series don't end. They'll follow an adaptation of the book for all of season 1, and then they'll make up some modification that'll keep the plot going.

Attached: 91q6tq6zYTL._RI_.jpg (2560x1920, 776K)

how? Macondo literally disappears from the face of the earth, and the complete bloodline of buendias dies with the town.

It's going to take more than one season to adap the whole story. And knowing Netflix there's going to be subplots and stuff.

>Secret daughter of aureliano buendia survives and makes babbies outside of macondo
>Her great great grand daugghter finds out in a diary of a place called macondo
>Investigates and finds out there's no such place
>Ghost of melquiadez hints in a dream that a villager of macondo survived
>Show become paranormal mystery drama

>i was honestly surprised at the amount of indio blood in mexico, shit you guys probably had the biggest inmigration of spanish during the franco years and it still did not change it that much
That was in like the 1940s. It was too late. It wasn't going to change anything. But we're talkig about a 120+ million population, so there's obviously millions of them.
>It's just a word, bro, and if you think about it
And an incorrect one. They're only called that way because the Spaniards thought they had arrived to India. And after all these years we still don't have a right word for that.

They did a good enough job with DICK desu. From amazon I was expecting cheap special effects and shameless self promotion.

Knowing this shit will pander to americans, i can see this happening, and the faggot "readers" crowd being down with it.
Bro, but what gives the last paragraph such power is that literally the town disappears and the story was pointless because it could never be retold since all records disappeared.
It's like when the banana massacre happened that everyone forgot about it.

Jeez user, don't give them ideas!

Netflix intern here. I will communicate this to the content department.

It is, if you only watch the Saul scenes and skip everything else

Great films usually come from bad books.

The best part of a great book tends to be in the style of a writer, and that's hard to translate.

The best part (or the most memorable) of a bad book tends to be in a plot twist, some character who connects very well with the audience or an interesting plot structure, and that's very easy to translate into a film.

Yea there were little bits and pieces but the author quickly dismissed them like that time the colonel called himself a wizard but then he said it was a joke.

because south america is the world's asshole