Is it better to learn Latin or Classical Greek?

Is it better to learn Latin or Classical Greek?

Attached: image.png (534x307, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YcbvGtRIjnI&bpctr=1551893167
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Doesn't matter. You won't learn Latin or Greek.

Why not?

nobody who posts pics like that will ever teach themselves a language

Why not;

Why tho (:

Attached: image.jpg (735x233, 39K)

Nobody who posts pics like that will ever teach themselves a language

you're not very intelligent, you lack discipline, and you don't care about much but image

How do you know I'm not very intelligent (-:

Yeah but also why not?

Attached: image.jpg (750x278, 48K)

because your style of trolling is something that dumb people do because there is no fear of failure if youre purposely making everything you post retarded

I'm not trolling though. You're trolling me by not telling me how to learn a language.

Why? How did you come to this conclusion?

Depends what you want it for.

>we'll just reuse their meme against them that'll show 'em!
t. every lefty meme ever

they've even attempted to reuse 'the left cant meme' by inverting it, basically illustrating the point

Attached: nazi soy.jpg (1243x650, 271K)

Why?

Given the number of surviving commentaries in Latin on the Greeks in addition to the number of original Latin pieces, it might be better to understand Latin. But it also depends on what you find more important to understand, given your interest. Aristotle is often misinterpreted due to errors in translation, but learning Greek doesn't mean that you won't make the same mistakes. Unless you aim on being an academic studying ancient pieces, it might be better to study a language that is living, so that you can study older works that are important as well as modern works. Like German or French

Attached: Aeneas.jpg (320x335, 14K)

Greek. Latin is a low IQ pleb language
t. knows both.

Theres nothing primarily leftist about shitting on dumb people with dumb politics.

because you are a dumb phoneposter

youtube.com/watch?v=YcbvGtRIjnI&bpctr=1551893167

Reusing the memes is actually kind of clever, because the people who made the originals imprinted them with some of their own insecurities. People on the left probably aren't incensed by being told they have low testosterone or weak jaws or whatever, but people on the right value these things a great deal. It hurts them more.

Like if I made a meme to show that right wingers are unsympathetic and brutal towards whatever marginalized group, if someone turned it around and showed I was a hypocrite, it would be more effective than if they made a meme about how I probably wanted some other dude to fuck my wife, because I'm already secure in the fidelity of my wife, but I try to be more critical of whether or not I'm an ethical being.

Attached: just_like_bart.jpg (540x496, 63K)

the left were genuinely butthurt about the npc meme because they all think they're rebellious iconoclasts while being terrified of deviating an inch from the NYT line

you can sort of call trump followers npcs, but the meme was made by much more extreme people than trump followers

>but I try to be more critical of whether or not I'm an ethical being
Your analysis is right but you're also a faggot. Anyone who begins talking about themselves as a responsible or sensitive moral agent deserves death... disgusting. I bet you think the fact you're a "good person" mean anything... Morality is beautiful, but it must be nurtured privately, like a fetish... prayer behind closed doors..

True enough, but no matter what extreme political axis you swing to you have a tribe whose orthodoxy you adhere to, even /pol/, who will gut you for enjoying a movie depicting an interracial couple, and are so proud of their abstinence to popular culture, and even tankies, who would gut you for ever implying free markets can be good in any contexts. The difference between your mutti worshiping center leftist and your dynamite ready anarcho-syndicalist isn't an independence of thought, it's what they steep themselves in. People who come up with original ideas probably weren't thinking about party politics in the first place.

I don't think for a fact that I'm a good person but that I have a responsibility to live an ethical life and that I am not immune to ethical laws.

Why?

Latin is easier to learn, ancient Greek has more interesting works written in its language.

true patricians learn Koine greek instead of attic

pol isn't a coherent tribe at all, the board is 95% people insulting each other

>a vulgar dialect is superior to the language of Plato

Redpilled

Yea Forums(nel) in general is a free for all warzone. Hence the constant passive aggressiveness and hatred for samefags

this is blocked for me, i can't watch it

I don't know why people are saying Latin is easier to learn — the exact opposite is true. Greek's definite article simplifies so much, and is used in reflexive pronouns and to start relative clauses. It's also much more beautiful than Latin (IMHO), subjunctives are piss-easy (especially compared to Latin), genitive absolutes are piss-easy, the list goes on...

The Greek language is also alive in a way that Latin is not. When you learn the subtleties of the language, you can almost adopt a classical worldview about process, stasis, teleology, etc. Since Latin inherited so much from the Greeks, Etruscans, et al., it's hard to see through an "authentic" lens of Latin society. Furthering this distinction is the fact that so much of Greek history remains a mystery, and it's fun to piece together clues and insights as to:
>who the fuck the Greeks were (e.g. the Mycenaean kingdom)
>what they accomplished
>what they feared and why (e.g. the Bronze Age collapse)
>their mythology and their low-religion
>their natural sciences
>their metaphysics, soteriology, logic...
On that last point: have you ever tried to read the Organon? I have, and it's a fucking slog. But in Greek, Aristotle is one of the clearest, neatest linguists (aided by untranslatable things like the "men... de" construction). Plato is downright heavenly at his best.
>tl;dr START WITH THE GREEKS

Attached: 1551748804666.jpg (540x720, 54K)

Latin is much easier to learn for people who speak a romance language because of the similarities

Learn arabic...trust me...

That's a fair point, and I was an EOP until learning Latin. Having had Russian before Greek was also probably a benefit, so it should be disclaimed. Still, don't modern romance languages use definite articles?

Latin in easier to begin learning but harder to master
Greek is harder to get the basics but is easier to master

Πάτερ ἡμῶν ὁ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς·
ἁγιασθήτω τὸ ὄνομά σου·
ἐλθέτω ἡ βασιλεία σου·
γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου,
ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ kαὶ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς·
τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον·
kαὶ ἄφες ἡμῖν τὰ ὀφειλήματα ἡμῶν,
ὡς kαὶ ἡμεῖς ἀφίεμεν τοῖς ὀφειλέταις ἡμῶν·
kαὶ μὴ εἰσενέγkῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν,
ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ.
Ὅτι σοῦ ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία kαὶ ἡ δύναμις kαὶ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας.
ἀμήν.

Latin. It is the language of the Church. You'll sneak in some Greek vocabulary anyway, if you're at all interested in philosophy.

Your pic is dumb, btw. AOC is, very clearly, mentally deficient. Not quite as stupid as Maxine Waters, but definitely not capable of delivering good government. She has already screwed her constituents out of thousands of jobs by telling Amazon to fuck off because of her ideology. Latest is she's looking to find a way to get them back. Stupid stupid stupid. Puerto-Rican lady bad.

wehrboos should be all fucking fire bombed :)

>leftards
>knowing what to do with latin

>heh yeah people only object to being called non-sapient window dressing because they’re hipsters

Dude people on this site aren’t using NPC as just an insult. They literally have begun to believe that a large portion of the population is less than human.

stop being a fag and just give him a recommendation lmfao sure he might be a trolly shitpost nigga but at least he has ambitions. who knows if he has the drive or discipline to achieve the ideals he has set out for (only time will tell) but giving him a direction is better than leaving him in his supposed pit

>less than human
You don't even know what the NPC meme is.
The NPC meme isn't meant to dehumanise, it's just meant to satirise the fact that the vast majority of people do not formulate independent political opinions and instead receive these opinions from mainstream media.
This is the truth and this is how it should be.
The rabble have no place in politics. Democracy has forced everyday people to have an opinion on politics, despite the fact they usually would not. If someone has no opinion on politics - and most people do not - then one is forced upon him, and he is told that it is his own.

>falling for the meme this hard

What a crybaby

This isn't a spoonfeeding forum. If he actually wants to learn these languages and isn't a blithering retard he can find resources on how to learn languages.

I'd say that a large portion of the population are lesser humans, not less than human.

>this isn't a spoonfeeding forum
So we shouldn't recommend things to each other? Stop being a little bitch and participate in the discussion. Were you really that butthurt over a fucking Trump joke?

F P B P

This.

Not really. You probably know very little about Roman literature.

ITT: people get absolutely assblasted at a very basic meme.

No you fucking bug brain i didn't say we shouldn't recommend things to each other but there's a pretty clear difference between recommendation and spoonfeeding.
>were you really that butthurt over a fucking trump joke
Yeah go back to /pol/ you projecting inbred I didn't say anything about the image or about politics, but if you think someone who posts X political party NPC memes actually is worth wasting time giving book recommendations to then go ahead. What do you think the odds are that this guy ever gets beyond this post in learning either of these languages?

Both, best to learn one at a time though, probably start with Latin because it’s easier.

What books did you use for Greek?
Thanks user. (Not OP)

I don't know him, so he could very well do either, both, or nothing. Your assumption, that he's stupid because he would make this joke, says more about you than him.

Athenaze. The alternatives rely on rote memorization, while Athenaze follows an inductive theory of teaching language. If you know Latin books, Athenaze is to Hansen's "Intensive Course" as Cambridge Latin is to Wheelock's Latin.

i just started learning greek and i can tell this is the lords prayer.learning greek is not a futile ambition.

Attached: WIN_20190306_18_48_03_Pro.jpg (640x360, 42K)

Good on ya, user — keep it up. Clean your fingernails.

Attached: 1550534375278.jpg (450x413, 86K)

Why would you waste time learning useless ancient languages when you could learn a programming language to make money

Programming sounds like one of the worst jobs desu

I took a programming class for one semester in college and it made me want to die, I don't know how anyone could do that for a career

why waste time learning useless programming language when you can learn how to forge money?

Hi friends, OP here. I'm going to be shitting up the board from now on by posting this a few times daily.

You won't learn either.

what a worthless post

I went on /pol/ to see what was up when the NPC thing first kicked off. There were threads full of people cherry-picking psych studies and quotes to build up a case that certain people are deep down in their being “NPCs” in the sense that they were born unable to think certain thoughts. That is dehumanization and it drives a lot of the stuff you see coming from that community and leaking out into the rest of the site and world.

From this perspective wouldn't it just be best to learn Sanskrit or OG IE? Why not start from the beginning? Probably best to work backwards slowly, and extend such logic to advice, since the majority will not make it past the Latin alphabet.

Depends on your interests. If you like medieval European history or Roman history then latin comes in handy. You would be able to read Caesar, cicero, Terrence, livy, Erasmus, Petrarch etc. If you like philosophy then ancient greek is extremely useful. You could read Plato, Aristotle, or even marcus aurelius in the original language.

learning Latin will teach you German and French as well

Latin because it's the mother language of Europe, the most advanced region in the world for the past 2000 years.

You don't seem to understand how memes work.

>the most advanced region in the world for the past 2000 years
'no'

Greek has objectively superior corpus of literary works, too bad it's ugly as shit, while latin is honey to the ears.

you look at shit with your ears?

If you learn classical Greek, you'll be able to speak modern Greek, which may help you get laid if you go to Greece/Cyprus/London/New Jersey/Melbourne

If you learn Latin, you will be able to speak to Catholic magisters, which would help you get laid in any cathedral you wish to visit

I had both enough Latin and Greek in school to be able to tell. However, de gustibus est disputandum.

Neither, learn Spanish or Mandarin you larping faggot

>Americans don't learn Latin and Greek in school starting from age 12
Aside from that, just learn Latin, and Greek after. I'll let based Schopenhauer have the word:
>This is a great disadvantage; but a second and worse one will follow, namely, that the ancient languages will cease to be taught at all. The neglect of them is rapidly gaining ground both in France and Germany.

>If it should really come to this, then farewell, humanity! farewell, noble taste and high thinking! The age of barbarism will return, in spite of railways, telegraphs and balloons. We shall thus in the end lose one more advantage possessed by all our ancestors. For Latin is not only a key to the knowledge of Roman antiquity; its also directly opens up to us the Middle Age in every country in Europe, and modern times as well, down to about the year 1750.

>To be entirely ignorant of the Latin language is like being in a fine country on a misty day. The horizon is extremely limited. Nothing can be seen clearly except that which is quite close; a few steps beyond, everything is buried in obscurity. But the Latinist has a wide view, embracing modern times, the Middle Age and Antiquity; and his mental horizon is still further enlarged if he studies Greek or even Sanscrit.

I sure feel like taking advice on progress from a nigga who lived in times when telegraph was the peak of technology.

>I'm too stupid to learn Latin and this guy who mastered his native German, English, French, Spanish, Ancient Greek, and Latin is stupid because he lived earlier than me

>German
?

I assume because german also has a case system

>There is no better recreation for the mind than the study of the ancient classics. Take any one of them into your hand, be it only for half an hour, and you will feel yourself refreshed, relieved, purified, ennobled, strengthened; just as if you had quenched your thirst at some pure spring. Is this the effect of the old language and its perfect expression, or is it the greatness of the minds whose works remain unharmed and unweakened by the lapse of a thousand years? Perhaps both together. But this I know. If the threatened calamity should ever come, and the ancient languages cease to be taught, a new literature shall arise, of such barbarous, shallow and worthless stuff as never was seen before.

Yes.

How do I start learning?

For latin buy wheelocks or lingua latina and work your way through them. There are a million other latin textbooks you could also pick from. For greek I think athenaze is the most popular book. Put at least 30 minutes in each day and keep chipping away at it. Oh and dont slack on doing your flashcards

I'd suggest an hour/day at least.
Also, memorize the verb conjugations and noun declensions by rote before moving on to the grammar.

People who let the Bad Orange Man consume their lives so much that they have to post retarded “Not me that is you!” memes only care about image. You just want to “SAY” you are learning Greek or Latin. You ain’t going to do and we all know it. Sage

Attached: 972D41C7-E258-42F2-812E-0DD60DE276E6.jpg (1511x2015, 176K)