Yeah I read books to get smarter

>yeah I read books to get smarter
you know "being smart" is not employable right?

Attached: not mine.jpg (640x469, 97K)

lol can someone explain the image to me

This

I think it's just an excercise in perspective

Why would you read books to "be employable"? Are you a retard or just a burger?

>He wasn't born rich
You have to go back

but there's a direct correlation between IQ and job success...

Go fuck yourself, dad

Attached: 1551380064255.jpg (606x613, 60K)

The 21st Century economy has no place for any intelligence outside of coding and or mathematics. Any time investment in fields outside of those two is a cope. If you can't code or do math you're literally no more valuable than an uneducated Mexican, even if you have a BA.

>you know "being smart" is not employable right?
>implying that’s not all that employers look for in someone.

That and social skills. If you read, you are an asset

Fucked if true

I'm not going to live in your surveillance slave state one way or the other so who cares. Hurry up and phase out all the jobs and get the government to adapt oppressive software everywhere so people are ticketed every single day. Lets get the motherfucker burning.

all smart people are really pseuds

>Employment
Meaningless. A man who is successful but breaks inside is worse off than a man who's not successful at all, but has found peace of mind. It all boils down to realizing you love yourself, and accepting selfishness, but actively fighting against it

Where are you going to live then?

wagie

Based & redpilled.

>meaning is found though employment

do people really still believe this?

>meaning if found through what you spend 40-80 hours a week doing
Makes sense to me

Notice the top right lines of the prisms not pointing to the left point of disappearance. The vertical lines are also not straight, which shouldn’t be so since there is no spherical distortion (lens effect). Also the shading is horid; not enough contrast. Too much chicken scratch and inconsistent line weight also.

>being a westernnigger

based /ic/ crossposter

the person who wrote this post has never had to sleep on the floor in an apartment with holes in the walls and bedbugs
trust me bros, get a good job.

you never slept on the earth and woken up to piles of gore around you

i bet your soo dumb you returned to that apartment every day to sleep

law, manipulative psychology

Of course there is, especially in meaningful, non-mechanized and braindead jobs. Understanding philosophy and sociology gives tremendous power for the understanding of humanity. It will give you insights on how to better reach your targets, how to engage peoples, how to understand their behavior.

Of course, this is not the case for factory workers.

College textbooks on the following: (1 each)
>Algebra
>Geometry
>Calculus
>Statistics
>Physics
>Chemistry
>Symbolic Logic
>Modal Logic
>Biology
>Astronomy

Any first year textbook on each will be fine. DESU the average professor doesn’t know much more than 600 pages off the top of their head on any given subject.

Thank you for this.

Hell, hopefully.

Law is over-saturated

>wow, user I didn’t know you were a philosophy major
>I heard about a philosophy factory opening up just down the road the other day too haha

Attached: 452BF297-F599-4BB6-9A8B-D27724C97D6D.jpg (720x696, 56K)

I think being smart helps me trick people into thinking I'm qualified and further trick people into thinking I'm productive when really I'm just hitting quota

Doomed to the wagie cagie

Attached: 5DFDB1DB-74C4-4D9F-A346-B00D0BCF5D8E.jpg (1024x819, 140K)

Lol @ that face

I developed my reading habits long before I ever worried about being employed. Even so, my boss and I share a passion for Proust, and were it not for our discussions of À la recherche du temps perdu I'm not sure I would have gotten my recent promotion.

Where does this absolute meme that math is employable come from? Maybe if you go off and do quants but no self respecting mathematician would do that. The problems mathematicians enjoy working on are overwhelmingly exercises in abstract logical autism and don't have profitable applications. Programming is valuable, but it's also not interesting and can be done by essentially anyone who is moderately intelligent and moderately autistic. Programmers as people are mostly terrible and will make you want to kill yourself.

t. depressed math major

So's coding. All jobs as you understand them are a concept that won't exist in 20 years.

Because employers hire math majors. They don't care if the work you do is irrelevant to the type of math they're hiring you for. Math degree is a certificate for being intelligent in a way no BA is.
Also, I didn't say only math majors were valuable. I said math skills, IE any degree requiring math, like engineering etc.

Even if it was (it isn't) at least it's not a post-graduate degree costing tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I think what he’s saying is we don’t care what you’re saying, we care about the real world.

I don’t want to see a chart, do you or anyone you know have a math degree that was hired because of it?

I mean here’s my thing, I think APPLIED math is extremely fucking hireable, like Engineering or Computer Science. But theoretical math, like set theory or economics, is not so much hireable unless you have a grad degree.

My post was about the economy, and having a place in it. In the real world, a math intensive degree will usually secure you one of the few remaining high wage jobs. And no, I don't have a math degree, I'm not nearly intelligent enough to get one. I couldn't even pass a grade 11 math test if you put one in front of me.
I have been referring to both applied and theoretical math, and you may be right that the latter is more valuable in a general sense once you've gotten a masters or higher. But I know several math majors from my cohort that were all snatched up quickly by firms after their graduation, and I wouldn't describe any of them as go-getters.

>But theoretical math, like set theory or economics, is not so much hireable unless you have a grad degree.

Bitch all college level math is applied, learn to market your goddamn major if you don't believe it.
>Real analysis
>Complex analysis
>Linear Algebra
>Intro topology/set theory/knot theory
>Stats
>Combinatorics
>Numerical Analysis
>Econometrics
>Optimization

It's hard to find a college math course that isn't mandatory course material for some profession, and the ones that are trivially viewed as applied mercilessly steal content from the ones that don't wear it on their sleeve.

true

my syllabus for applied linear has the words "applicable skill" in every other paragraph, all in boldface. we have a bunch of different majors in the class (small school), and it's always funny to watch the instructor bend over backwards applying the topic to literally every represented field (e.g. balancing chemical equations using matrices)

It bothers me immensely that whoever made picture had lines to follow and still managed to fuck up. It also bothers me that they didn’t even have the sense to use a ruler.

>basing your every decision on what is quote unquote employable

A man chooses. A slave obeys, OP.

>only one type of smart
Low-quality bate

Math just requires you to study a lot.

It’s no more intelligent than anything else, brainlet

>tfw a nation of soulless capital-driven manchildren is growing every day
man fuck this, life is becoming less and less human

Attached: 1534681623104.jpg (705x899, 188K)

>the purpose of life is employment
you can die and no one will miss you. in fact, you should.

If you're not actually smart you will likely fail any interview or other practical and rigorous inspection no matter how good your grade point average happens to be
Employers don't care if you've memorized every important little thing because they've already got 100 people who fit that bill they want something beyond just that in other words a person who is smart outside the scope of just the job

have you ever read a work of fiction, poetry, play and felt smarter? that's odd to me.

i feel smarter after reading non-fiction

>Where does this absolute meme that math is employable come from?
Misery loves company

this, dumb yanks out

Success isn't defined by income

Yeah, but it pretty much ends at correlation.
The dude with the highest IQ in the world is a window washer or something whereas Richard Feynman is pretty average with an IQ in the mid 120's.

So what are you going to do about it? There are tons of people who feel exactly the same way, why not band together with them?

>boneheaded heartless calculator doesn't understand how metrics are causing suffering and waste all over the world
>b-but muh numbers
>hospital with less deaths get more funding
>hospital keeps people alive for fucken weeks when they could just die of whatever is eating them
>less deaths, more dollarydoos!
>everybody benefits
>except the humans

I know it all too well user...when I'm not too depressed I read for escapism from this horrible life

Remove this at once, you're hurting Steven Pinker's sales.

Programming is just the last frontier that hasn't been completely automated and outsourced yet. Can't wait to see that sector of god complex "I'm paid more because I'm worth more" cretins wiped out.

Smart people don't want to be (((employable))).

Wojak. He is ourguy. Welcome to earth, alien ambassador.

I doubt he gave that test his best effort.

Wrong. Maths require a higher order of logical thinking

You shit every day of your life.

>Finnegan's Wake

>philosophy factory
they're called universities and think tanks, user

Btfo

>he thinks academia is a realistic career option

Engineering is nothing, we are just proving we are competent monkeys to handle machines and do simple calculations to keep shit movin

This, but what the fuck we need like a leader or something

HAHAHHAHAAHHHHAAHAHHAAHAHAHGAAHGGAGAAGGAG

Trust me, everyone is laughing at you with me

Spoken like a true NEET

All of this is irrelevant to my original point, which is engineers have a place in the modern economy, which is absolutely not true about any arts or social science degree.
My STEM friends have been laughing at me my whole life

I’m not even STEM. I just read mathematics in my spare time, Game Theory and synthetic geometry, all that stuff.

It’s not difficult. Even topology is not incredibly intense. It’s just another language

let him feel especial because he kinda gets Godel's theorem kek.

I've already said that I'm not intelligent enough for math. I haven't been boasting about my own intelligence. The opposite is true.

Before that some degree of unity has to be established, I don't know how to do this but I try my best by validating and discussing the alienation people have. It is a slow process and my impact is probably imperceptible, but one does not build a counter-society overnight.

What the hell? This isn’t me.... wtf
I’m telling you I read mathematical proofs bud. Sufficiency/necessity or QEDs, I read all kinds of mathematical proofs.

Interesting stuff all the way around. I haven’t read Godel

I was talking about the STEM fag, you insecure fag.

Ah I think I see what happened. Being extremely negative is never a good thing unless you have a constructive point to make.

It seems you have no point to make whatsoever, and I even disagree with what you’re trying to say about Godel

ok now kiss your new STEM boyfriend.

Spoken like a good employable wageslave!

Reading textbooks and books on economics can increase your personal capacity for business.

You’re right.

Textbooks are more of an indoctrination tool, if I do read them I try to read reliable economics textbooks from across wide time periods. Early 20th century France has some incredibly detailed mathematical economics books written by professors.

Sounds good, though desu I'll probably just listen to whats available in audiobook format.

Here is a list of satisfying careers you can easily obtain with just an undergrad in math: software developer, actuary, data scientist, financial analyst, quant, consultant (very very broad range), risk manager, business insights (new buzzword, every corporation is hiring math majors right now)

t. well paid math major

The best economics books are the ones you simply cannot listen to in audiobook format.

Some earlier books are good reads like Smith or Ricardo.

I will say this: Henry George’s Progress and Poverty has essentially been verified mathematically by the great Léon Walras. It’s a beautiful theory, Goeism.

I should add to this that if you're not autistic you should be able to reasonably talk your way into ANY business position

Just because shit is looked upon as disgusting doesn't make it any less important to the human condition

Just to clarify, that’s one you can listen to in audiobook format that isn’t stupid, most of them are. Keynes or Hayek are not great, but necessary reads if you’re interested in the field just to get yourself familiarized with them.

If you’ve never read Smith, shame on you, and Ricardo is nice too but J.S. Mill wrote a book on Political Economy that I consider a fine substitute for Ricardo and Malthus and all those thinkers.

Thorstein Veblen’s Theory of the Leisure Class is also up there in technicality and informative understanding of society. It’s largely a sociological work, but all works on economics technically are.

Pareto has a book called ‘Manual of Political Economy’. I prefer Walras to Pareto but reading ANYONE from the Lausanne school is x10000000000 better than anyone else. Manual of Political Economy has no equations except for the mathematical appendix, which I have read as well. The book is incredibly complex, but unbelievably interesting.

There were a couple philosophy majors in my fraternity when I was in undergrad. They're all in great law schools now, jokes on me.

>simple calculations
spotted the civil. Higher electrical and mechanical is serious math, especially if you go into fluids as a mechanical because fluid dynamics is actually a mess

The test probably emphasised response times and language ability. He was pretty notorious for being autistic as fuck.

That being said it's not unlikely that he was actually not that far above average considering a guy like Kubrick was actually double digits.

What? I thought Feynman was a chad, am I confusing him with another physicist?

>Feynman was born on May 11, 1918, in Queens, New York City, to Lucille née Phillips, a homemaker, and Melville Arthur Feynman, a sales manager originally from Minsk in Belarus (then part of the Russian Empire). Both were Lithuanian Jews.

It's possible to calculate your way with the women.

Fine Man. you actually had to Google that he was Jewish?Lol. Mr Sweet Child is well BTW.

>being a utilitarian mouth breather

>coding
most of that's gonna go to pajeets unless you are cream of the crop or highly specialized.
>math
true. learn mathematics my friends it's applicable in most if not all fields.
>law
super duper expensive and competitive. You better know that you love being a lawyer cause law school ain't the place to fuck around.

My universal recommendation is to learn how to present, converse, and negotiate. spineless autism makes one a prime target for being taken advantage of.

>'