CONTEMPORARY POETRY

The Absolute State of Modern Poetry.
It's all so tiresome.

Attached: 20190304_143722.jpg (4720x4128, 2.92M)

Other urls found in this thread:

poets.org/poetsorg/poem/shooting-rats-bibb-county-dump
classicalpoets.org/
divedapper.com/interview/christian-bok/
classicalpoets.org/2019/03/03/who-killed-poetry-a-critique-of-modernism-and-post-modernism-part-i/
classicalpoets.org/2018/07/23/til-we-forgot-a-lament-on-recovery-by-amy-foreman/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

but what if writing it from the PoV of a braind dead millenial who just finished HS was an stylistic choice?

Go find contemporary poetry you like. There's tons of shit out there, loads of different styles and subject matter. It's not that homogenously SJW it's just that SJW shit gets all the press right now, but that makes the good shit more valuable for the lack of amplification.
I could rec some poets but I wouldn't want to rob you of the experience of searching for and finding something worthwhile.

Attached: 20190304_143359.jpg (4712x4128, 3.15M)

based and redpilled

Attached: 20190304_1436030.jpg (2240x1968, 1.57M)

>yes
>YES
>we are out of high school
>blew

Then it's a shitty stylistic choice that results in terrible literature.

cut your nails

I just did today haha

To my knowledge, this man is the only great poet alive.

Attached: jaywright.jpg (251x362, 19K)

>I don't want to rob you of the experience of wading through an ocean of feces to find something you like a little more than the feces

>could rec some poets but I wouldn't want to rob you of the experience of searching for and finding something worthwhile
Why don't you help us out with a name or two

A letter to Columbine:
>yes
>YES
>we are out of high school
>phew

i think i'm most incredulous at how much paper is being wasted here, given the previously unparalleled text-to-page ratio seen here, in size

It's probably a stylistic choice.
A bad choice, but still.

It would be far less egregious if the words had merit.

just like in all arts (theater, painting), we've reached a point with poetry where everything is poetry yet nothing is and we can't call talent out to not 'impose' belief systems and blame people who don't identify with it thus we can't tell art from imposture and garbage

we are done; there is no recovery after postmodernism. ignorance feeds on itself until it consumes that which it emulates so that not even it's memory remains.

seems like yet another great fracture point in order to introduce some infighting between published tumblr poets and environmentalists

This is not pottery
It's a messenger screenshot
blew

every single Rupi poem I read is more horrendous than the previous one.

>tfw doing a writing minor with a course on poetics next semester

should I still do it? or would it be a waste of time? course content seems to focus on the mechanics and techniques of different styles of poetry with additional lectures on figurative language

how the fuck did we go from Martin Farquhar Tupper to terrible writing

this
>b-but there's good stuff out there, you just gotta—
"no"

see That man is out there.

Dalkey, Flood, and Wave put out good books consistently; they're definitely much better than all these presses pushing this drivel out.

Too bad your head is too up your own ass with the usual rantings about the 'death of literature' to find poems like the one below.

The Importance of the Whale in the Field of Iris

They would be difficult to tell apart, except
that one of them sails as a single body of flowing
grey-violet and purple-brown flashes of sun, in and out
across the steady sky. And one of them brushes
its ruffled flukes and wrinkled sepals constantly
against the salt-smooth skin of the other as it swims past,
and one of them possesses a radiant indigo moment
deep beneath its lidded crux into which the curious
might stare.

In the early morning sun, however, both are equally
colored and silently sung in orange. And both gather
and promote white prairie gulls which call
and circle and soar about them, diving occasionally
to nip the microscopic snails from their brows.
and both intuitively perceive the patterns
of webs and courseways, the identical blue-glass
hairs of connective spiders and blood
laced across their crystal skin.

If someone may assume that the iris at midnight sways
and bends, attempting to focus the North Star
exactly at the blue-tinged center of its pale stem,
then someone may also imagine how the whale rolls
and turns, straining to align inside its narrow eye
at midnight, the bright star-point of Polaris.

And doesn't the iris, by its memory of whale,
straighten its bladed leaves like rows of baleen
open in the sun? And doesn't the whale, rising
to the surface, breathe by the cupped space
of the iris it remembers inside its breast?

If they hadn’t been found naturally together,
who would ever have thought to say: The lunge
of the breaching whale is the fragile dream
of the spring iris at dawn; the root of the iris
is the whale's hard wish for careful hands finding
the earth on their own?

It is only by this juxtaposition we can know
that someone exceptional, in a moment of abandon,
pressing fresh iris to his face in the dark,
has taken the whale completely into his heart;
that someone of abandon, in an exceptional moment,
sitting astride the whale's great sounding spine,
has been taken down into the quiet heart
of the iris; that someone imagining a field
completely abandoned by iris and whale can then see
the absence of an exceptional backbone arching
in purple through dark flowers against the evening sky,
can see how that union of certainty which only exists
by the heart within the whale within the flower rising
within the breaching heart within the heart centered
within the star-point of the field's only buoyant heart
is so clearly and tragically missing there.

>let me find the most ridiculous examples of poetry to whine about how CONTEMPORARY POETRY sucks because these ridiculous examples surely represent all CONTEMPORARY POETRY

>we are done; there is no recovery after postmodernism. ignorance feeds on itself until it consumes that which it emulates so that not even it's memory remains.

The simple response to this is just to destroy everything and start over with the stuff that survives the purge. America needs to be annihilated, just raze the United States to the bedrock. I guarantee that when America is gone things will get at least a little better.

Yea Forums doesn't read, but sometimes it's astounding just how much Yea Forums doesn't read

I hate when people use free verse without realizing that poetry is very musical, and without rhyme they need to still make it sound right. Slam poetry is annoying but at least they have a rhythm.

I see a way to recontextualize poetry as an effect of globalism by seeking to tether or synthesize two different cultural foundations of poetry together in your work. Although it would be a little gimmicky, it would be a direction poetry could move on from, rather than the atomized slop that gets published now.

Uh-hu, I liked it.

>there is no recovery after postmodernism
rofl

Nah, take it, you will learn a lot.
Contemporary shit poetry has nothing to do with a poetics course, you’ll mostly only have the greats.

>I could rec some poets but I wouldn't want to rob you of the experience of searching for and finding something worthwhile.

What a fucking mong.

Nothing in this thread has beaten the absolute gall of "I'm going to write a sonnet sequence that doesn't include a single sonnet" the absolute madman

Do people think that all books published in the past were like moby dick or something?

To be fair people like Goethe were absolutely huge and also very popular, so the whole "popular shit has always been bad" argument doesn't always resonate with me

That is true, but for the most part popular shit has always been trash.
Of all the examples OP (presumably) posted, only Rupi Kaur is popular, it’s just ridiculously selective.

It varies. Byron, the worst of the Romantics, was also the most popular of them, and the only one to sell in large quantities during his lifetime.

lmao maybe you should just actually read poetry instead of bitching about poetry

here are 10 great collections from this decade for the cowards in the room (note: the tradition hasn't officially been released but people keep posting poems from it who got copies early and they've been phenomenal)

Attached: topsters2 (1).jpg (2276x644, 136K)

that's good shit though

shut the fuck up

>Hey guys, here's what was on my college syllabus in my contemporary american poetry course I paid $5000 for with student loans I'll never be able to pay back

Yikes...

nah, i just legitmately like these! that would be an expensive fucking class, do ivy-dweebs really pay that much?

>y-you too...

honestly don't know what that means. also, do you have contemporary collections you like better? im open to suggestions!

I swear that's a line from a Chainsmokers song. Or maybe Tove-Lo or some shit.

those are all pop trash

lmao, calling shit like Sinclair, Bottoms, Carson, and Boruch doesn't make any sense desu.

Attached: disorientations.jpg (250x392, 42K)

College poets desu. That Carson collection is barely poetry.

It's all the shit that gets shilled by Poetry Foundation and such

added, thanks!

dawg i love Carson, not my fav by her but I still like it a lot.

ngl, i do use them as a resource a lot, how you search out contemporary works?

>i do use them as a resource a lot
Christ what an oblivious NPC.

>afraid to have a genuine conversation on an anonymous forum

>tfw my sister fell for the Rupipill
I have failed

>Kaveh Akbar

I've seen him perform and it is the most obnoxious and self-centered poetry.

Only one of these I've seen perform is David Bottoms (hick here) and he was a really fun one. His Wife was there, and she was so excited to see him read. they seem really happy together.

tits or gtfo.

im not leaving >:(

I'll check him out

here's his poem that made him the Georgia poet laureate
poets.org/poetsorg/poem/shooting-rats-bibb-county-dump

Since I realized this I've become much more callous in imposing my belief structure on the world. It has gone surprisingly well, since most often it consists of truths so fundamental people find it a relief when someone vocalizes them. Also, speaking the truth seems to have positive effects in my life, in an almost strange, "cosmic destiny" hippie way.

fucking brainlet

Roasties should never have been allowed to become literate.

Poetry as a medium for anything else besides telling a circle of Your friends in a fancy way what You feel/think/have done is unviable in the 21st century. It's an ancient/outdated form of social media nobody gives a shit about anymore except intellectuals/academics locked up in their cliques.

LARPer detected

Not LARPing, I spent 6 years writing poetry and wrote a lot of good shit. Even published some. Only to feel the same solipsistic / brain-cage feeling I get every time that I think of poetry. I ain't sad, tho, cuz it's done wonders for my prose.

>hey yo whats up
>A moon's old rabbit and cold toad weeping colors of sky,
lucent walls slant across through half-open cloud towers.
A jade-pure wheel squeezes dew into bulbs of wet light.
Phoenix waist jewels meet on cinnamon-scented paths.
Transformations of a thousand years gallop by like horses,
yellow dust soon seawater below changeless island peaks,
and all China seen so far off: it's just nine wisps of mist,
and the ocean's vast clarity a mere cup of spilled water.

sounds like you just gave up on the harder art desu

based Li He

>6 years then gave up
>not larping

Pretty words. Really pretty. Now burn it, if You are in it for real.

I left it for dead.

>claims to be a poetry non-LARPer
>doesn't recognize the work of a titan

There's some good stuff out there, but the best-selling "poetry" right now is pure trash.

Attached: assassinated.png (468x439, 68K)

>has read all of poetry, yet still is a failure

Imagine having the background to read books of this level and wasting your time reading books so pozzed in content.

>implying you've read more than maybe 1 of these

Danez Smith is a racist, HIV-infected piece of shit. He cracks jokes about killing white people and recently started demanding people use gender-neutral pronouns for him, as if being a black, gay, "poz" person didn't give him enough intersectional points already.

idk about his pronouns, but his is a tad too anti-white imo. that doesnt change his brilliant lyricism in stuff like Summer, Somewhere

Either this is not worth reading or Natasha needs to sue whoever wrote this description:
> Layering joy and urgent defiance—against physical and cultural erasure, against white supremacy whether intangible or graven in stone—Trethewey’s work gives pedestal and witness to unsung icons. Monument, Trethewey’s first retrospective, draws together verse that delineates the stories of working class African American women, a mixed-race prostitute, one of the first black Civil War regiments, mestizo and mulatto figures in Casta paintings, Gulf coast victims of Katrina. Through the collection, inlaid and inextricable, winds the poet’s own family history of trauma and loss, resilience and love.

idc what they wants as their pronouns*
lmao talk about undercutting my own sentence

shit taste m8

I certainly have not read all of poetry. I'm just, you know, a student of the craft, not some pretentious marketcucked LARPer.

>being afraid of blackness

What is blackness?

read more black writers if you want to know, im not gonna just lay out a racial treatise on Yea Forums

I read contemporary black poets, but not books about boogeymen.

This is a song by unknown mortal orchestra

What does this even mean?

classicalpoets.org/

Some of that is very good

There are a few other journals that print good stuff - look to @amjuster

But yeah, most must be burned. The degenerates are in control of academia, therefore they have taken poetry.

I've read plenty; the word always gets tossed around and left completely nebulous. At best, people wax poetic instead of, like, you know, providing a coherent definition of the word they're using.

I remember now that you mention it. It's called not on drugs by Tove lo. Very catchy

I've read racial treatises before.

Does anyone have any texts/books/guides to classic poetical forms and possibly essays? I bought pic related thinking it would be helpful but its about the level of information I could glean from a wikipedia article

Attached: 84494590-67D5-4975-9565-B824F758B3A1.jpg (2148x3501, 1.77M)

Has Rupi ever responded to critiscim, or does it even reach her?

Attached: 8D3373D9-2BD4-4E95-A8ED-F96018AD6A8B.jpg (480x856, 136K)

I read Atticus out of curiosity, and it was alright.
Its hard to tell how much of it is just careful marketing, but the interviews Ive read with him seem pretty honest.
Love Her Wild felt like a loser in his 20s whose watched too much shoujo anime wrote insta-poetry because that's they only poetry they know of, and it looked like everyone else was doing it too.

At the very least compared with Canada's other famous contemporary poet, Rupi and her obnoxious feminist schreeching, its like night and day.
Someone post the article where she gushes over a book cover's design instead of the book.

Attached: joyce atticus.jpg (662x436, 89K)

Any non-SJW mags,zines,journals or poets to recommend? Any based poets?

I honestly kind of like this.

>student of the craft

Enjoy Your humble self-suck, man.

>I could rec some poets but I wouldn't want to rob you of the experience of searching for and finding something worthwhile.
the state of this mong

Bros can I become the greatest contemporary poet of all time?

And maybe try to prove with Your studied eloquence it's not an outdated and solipsistic form of social media next time instead of resorting to insults.

What is "social media" to you?
Is painting social media?
People shared paintings on social media; does that mean that Ruisdael was pretty much just some blogger?

Are you arguing that Terrance Hayes is the former or the latter?

That book in question is the latter.

how?

To be fair I’m pretty sure Rupi was only around 18 when she wrote these. I don’t blame her, I blame the consumers.

READ CHRISTIAN BöK. thank me later

so this is the power of "free verse"

The Xenotext is the most based shit ever.
for y'all plebs:
divedapper.com/interview/christian-bok/

As much as I'd like to, we can't wipe America out without it destroying the rest of the planet

of course you can

About the age when Rimbaud stopped writing.

>contemporary
>of all time

An inexplicable urge towards bippin', boppin', and criminality

Reads like a Tyler, The Creator song.

i hated highschool yet i genuinely wish i could go back now, if not simply to do it differently

based sharposter

It's not just poetry though, it's literature in general, it's a post-culture world.

I have a sincere question:

Why did a 22 year old girl without a University education, and indeed a very spotty primary education, living in a small town, write verse like this in the 1830's while half-starved, half-mad, and sickly

>The little glittering spirits sung,

>Or seemed to sing, to me :

>* O mortal ! mortal ! let them die ;'

>Let time and tears destroy,
>That we may overflow the sky
>With universal joy !

>* Let grief distract the sufferer's breast,

>And night obscure his way ;
>They hasten him to endless rest,
>And everlasting day.

>* To thee the world is like a tomb,

>A desert's naked shore ;
>To us, in unimagined bloom,
>It brightens more and more !

>' And, could we lift the veil, and give \
>One brief glimpse to thine eye, I

>Thou wouldst rejoice for those that live, j
>Because they live to die.'

While highly educated, deeply encouraged, well fed, well advantaged women of 2019 produce what we have seen in this thread. I mean what the fuck lads?

Attached: cheeki-text.gif (444x250, 2.58M)

why isn't it cheeki breeki anymore? :(

This is Artrenewal tier, tasteless boomers pining for sentimental academicism thinking that constitutes tradition.

Anyway, Gjertrud Schnackenberg is probably the best poet still living, followed by William Logan.

Good ol’ all american potery thread.

This is exactly how i feel user

public Internet, WW1&2, public education, social media, complete luxury of life.
I dunno, take your pick.

Rec me some of your fav non-american poets (only language i can even kinda read tho is french)
even if they aren't languages i can read, i'd love know about their work!

Just give her some good poetry and she won't be able to go back. It's hard to consume garbage when you've eaten a 5 course 3 michelin star meal.

Emily was a genius, about as representative of women in general as Kant is representative of men in general. The average person has always been just that average.

Attached: loathing.jpg (1385x2048, 193K)

Love the cover through

Yes she was but surely the genius women poets of our age are out there. Is Rupi tier shit the best they can do or are the true geniuses being somehow suppressed?

of course there are genius women writing now, but you just wanna LARP

There are serious trads on there and they do have some great Schnackenberg tier poets. Academia hates it, of course. One just won an NEA so that makes me happy

Who?

classicalpoets.org/2019/03/03/who-killed-poetry-a-critique-of-modernism-and-post-modernism-part-i/

>classicalpoets.org/2019/03/03/who-killed-poetry-a-critique-of-modernism-and-post-modernism-part-i/

"There is another reason for the decline of post-war artistic standards which to this point has only been mentioned in passing: the shattering of belief in the doctrines and mores of Christianity. These had been the foundation of Western civilization, perhaps the defining element"

Truth. It was attacked hard in the 60s and got worse every decade since. I'm alarmed at how bad it is now, and if you aren't out in the world and interacting with people in broad social situations you don't see this. The average millennial or twentysomething is godless.

Based chub appreciator

Attached: 81397802-9FAF-4883-B2B2-FDB535000635.jpg (750x782, 92K)

A lot of modern
Poets just seperate
Their sentences with unnecessary line

Breaks

This is so hot to me it's tormenting. God how I wish I weren't American

guess after milk and honey got popular people wanted to cash in on the trend.
fair point. don't hate the player hate the game!
as a spic, I concur my good fellow.

>starts off the essay with a (shitty) poem
>ends the essay with commentary to his own poem, explaining how he used old French words, what "fortissimo" means and what "emperor's new clothes" refers to
just delightful, this classicist fart sniffing is supposed to be a negation of modernist fart sniffing

Attached: rupi kaur punjabi varmints.jpg (1200x989, 532K)

Print culture has always been dominated by volume with trash and for the past 150 or so years the "most renowned" contemporary literary texts have almost always been middlebrow works meant to make the white petite-bourgeoisie feel as if they were actually engaged in some project of (((culture))). The best works of literature being written and published right now you will probably not read for the next twenty or thirty years or so.

And yet, Byron was kino. Despite his relatively subaltern position among the romantics there has not been another poet of his ilk since he died.

yes you
can become the greatest
poet of all time

(contemporary)

>of course there are genius women writing now
Care to post them?

>The best works of literature being written and published right now you will probably not read for the next twenty or thirty years or so.
You bugmen are so predictable, YOU ALWAYS SAY THIS--as if that'll excuse the post-apocalyptic setting literature is in today.

This is shit.
James Merrill was one of the most formally rigorous post war poets and there's academic work done on him, same with Anthony Hecht.

>"...both gather and promote white..."
white nationalism, author should be castrated

Underrated Tigerposting

>niggers

Tracy K Smith is pretty good. Her last book, Life on Mars was a bit indulgent but I liked it overall

Wait my bad not her last book, just the last thing I read of hers. I was behind on that Hungarian dudes books so I never caught up with hers

classicalpoets.org/2018/07/23/til-we-forgot-a-lament-on-recovery-by-amy-foreman/

Going to write a poem on this to submit to some progressive poetry journal asap

Who the heck are these people? I can't find a damn thing

>Danez Smith #1
Insulting

If you approach it as such, no wonder you failed. You can't universalize it as such a pathetically simple emotion-vomit, or else you will inevitably end up with Kaur. Great to hear about your prose, though

Be kind to her. Sisters are sweethearts.

Based Brosnons

Attached: CBE34D2A-F5B2-4AE3-AAF6-0678314209C2.jpg (1080x1080, 110K)

I'm not saying that it's only an emotion-vomit. It might be the deepest metaphysical shit ever broken down into incredible lines. It still remains über-cryptic and speaking to itself. It just way too deep in the rabbit hole of the human thought. Schizo-notes. Nobody cares and understands schizo-notes written as such.

it's really hard to have a decent intellectual discussion when you keep posting shit like this

Attached: dd.jpg (1080x607, 35K)

No results. Who wrote this?

>Schizo-notes. Nobody cares and understands schizo-notes written as such
How can you think this? The idolation of historical poets (e.g. Dickinson) alone speaks directly against this point. People love schizo-babble precisely because it speaks to them—uses language in an attempt to transcend language, to get further down that rabbit hole. It's a slice of the population that enjoys this, sure, but that slice is absolutely a significant one.

We are talking about poetry in the 21st century, though.

Intellectual? It’s a poetry thread.
It’s good to see beauty

Man, people love schizophrenia even more now. How else can you explain the cultural prevalence of Alex Jones and his ilk?
While I agree that poetry needs to undergo a revitalization, I promise you that it's not the schizoid side of it that's eating it away. If anything, that side should be addressed more often—at least, the über-cryptic aspects as opposed to the self-reference

rejoice

Attached: EvZsJDI.jpg (654x655, 62K)

Tiresome? Not really. Some for sure. Simplistic, absurd, argumentatively absent-minded, yes. The best just doesn't strive, it doesn't engage it's target market beyond style and winking politics. The brevity of some like pic rel seems to strain the writer as if it were difficult for them to write short stories or flash fiction, but on the other hand, this works well for comedy. And who would say that comedy can't reach around poetry and give us some insight unexpectedly.

>Hot-pink spluge soaked panties with a "Tool" logo on the crotch.
Here I come, moderity!