Is there any reason to read Lolita in english or should I just pick up the version that has been translated into my...

Is there any reason to read Lolita in english or should I just pick up the version that has been translated into my language?
Are there any [other] books that are better in english? I generally don't think english text loses much from being translated.

Also, what version of Lolita has the most risqué cover that will trigger normies the most?

Attached: lolita.png (1600x914, 1.25M)

Yea english takes from so many other European languages, and has so many more words than other European languages that you might miss out on a emotion that the author is trying to convey, but for lolita it should be fine.

There were some play in words that I don't think are trasnlatable. it's one of those few english books that it's a joy to read in the original english, the polar opposite of Hemingway.

How should we knownof you don't tell us what language, user?

English is the most brainlet language you can speak
>Perhaps the biggest collection of headwords is to be found in the online version of the 'Grammatical Dictionary of Polish' by Saloni, Woliński, Wołosz, Gruszczyński and Skowrońska [2], which boasts 334,845 headwords.

Yes you should read the version in the original language if you can. There's literally no reason not to.

>generally don't think english text loses much from being translated.
Then you're a shitty reader.

How many languages do you speak?

this edition

Attached: lolita-vladimir-nabokov-9780241951644.jpg (316x450, 22K)

Three, and a fourth one at a low level.

and actually I don't see why that should be relevant here anyway

I belive that is the issue here

Yes? Interesting

English is a simple language with not a lot of meaning hidden in it's words.
Just look at languages like russian or french that actually lose something from being translated.

Just read it in English if you can read English you twinklefuck. There are a lot of nice wordplay and sentences, worth reading the original.

I read it in Engliss first then tried reading it in French to see the difference. There definitely was one. Nabokov was fluent in French and he wasn't pleased with the first translation, so he made a lot of notes and recommendations. The version we have now is the one he fixed himself and it's still inferior to the original one.

I got that edition with the lips on the cover because I think it's a beautiful cover.

check those dubs.
behold this truth.

Always read it in the original if you can. This shouldn't ever be a question.

Attached: 1531277439366.gif (330x166, 2.11M)

holy bait

I'm Russian, should I read it in Russian, if it was translated by Nabokov himself?

If you read it in both and then reported back, I'd love to read your thoughts on his translation.

>t. native english speaker