Child Psychology and Parenting

The title says it all.
The market is over-saturated with parental guides, but I'm not looking for some average run-of-the-mill advice.

What are some meaty and informative books on the topic of Child Psychology/Parenting?

Attached: 111.jpg (900x900, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gX4EFwv76Vg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

COME ON YOU FLIPPIN' FLIP FLOPS.

There has to be at least ONE parent familiar with the topic on this board.

Attached: Jean-Eugène Buland, Le Bonheur des Parents (1903).jpg (1500x1147, 263K)

>child psychology

Like real psychology or meme psychology trash you see in movies?

If you want the real thing go to read the pediatric chapter of the DSM-5

>While you’re at it get into QLA methodology to learn how to raise high performance kids

Attached: A44A07ED-167E-4AB8-810E-0024E13A6257.jpg (259x400, 16K)

Jean Piaget

Plutarch

God, I wish that baby were me. I wish girls enjoyed it when boys sucked their breasts like a baby, but I'm not so sure they do. Everything about the true nature of women makes me depressed, when I realize it's the complete opposite of what I wished and imagined them to be.

Running on Empty should just be called how to not neglect and fuck up your children

You should likely reevaluate your life. I guarantee you that there's little fault on women there.

>that wine on the counter
Well, that explains what happened to the glory of France

All parenting books are bullshit self help. All the advice is conflicting. Medical professionals don't know, speak to three different doctors about breastfeeding and get three different answers. Nobody knows anything. What worked for one kid won't work for another.
t. parent

Dr. Spock goes over personality types though. You should look into it if your children are still young.

My gf does, I suck on her breasts and she plays with my hair. Have faith user

>personality types
Yeah, that's an example of the kind of bullshit I mean. Nobody actually fits into those categories. It's snake oil

>DSM-5

Attached: l.jpg (202x250, 9K)

Actually, nearly all studies suggest positive effects from prolonged breastfeeding (in regards to cognitive function, myelination, health, etc.). This has lead the WHO and CDC to suggest exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months, and combined feeding for up to 1.5~2 years of age. The length after a cool one year is occasionally debated, though it doesn't seem to make a significant ENOUGH difference after a bit over one year.
Either way, the benefits and length (to an extent) are not debated much, the evidence seems conclusive.
There's really good information on some of these subjects, especially in regards to child cognitive studies and their conclusions, which is why I've started this thread. I want to see if there is a book that provides decent information/guides based on a little more than mere personal observation.

Consider quizzing your kid on notes in front of a tuned acoustic piano. You can only develop an absolute pitch as a kid, most other shit they can just learn in adulthood after you failed as a parent--

Took 8 years of chorus and 2 years of violin. Should have stuck w the violin bc my voice dropped hard lul...

And yet, speak to different professionals and you will get differing advice. Say the kid doesn't take the breast, it's not a natural thing for them to do weirdly. Again, different advice. You should force it, don't force it; you should express milk now, you should never express milk until 6 months. You should give them formula so they gain weight; you should never give formula, let them be underweight. It's not as simple as breast = good, and we're done here.

Medfag here, what do you want to know?

>And yet, speak to different professionals and you will get differing advice

All patients are different bonehead

>6 months
That's a very uneasy compromise between several groups of lobbyists (from nestle to the keep them boob fed til they're 7 at least hippies)
It's also usually broken by medical professionals first because few moms refuse to send their kid to the nursery (where they bottle feed to allow the mother rest). Some women aware of this insist the kid stays with them but they're met with the suspicion of being the hippy dippy type despite the breast only message coming from medical professionals.

A lot of best practice is that kind of thing. Kids are resilient anyway so even if you feed them out of date formula with unsanitary water and bottles, a lot of them survive (thanks Nestlé for letting us find this out!)

>Kids are resilient anyway so even if you feed them out of date formula with unsanitary water and bottles, a lot of them survive

You are a fucking retard

/Thread

An interesting yet irrelevant fact in the context of the same patient getting differring advice
Have a kid dude, you'll feed it out of an unsterilized bottle at some point, I guarantee it.

>That's never happened
Not only did Nestlé do that, they sent their sales reps wearing white coats to tell people that formula was better than breast milk. Look up the Nestlé boycott.

>An interesting yet irrelevant fact in the context of the same patient getting differring advice

Maybe because they study from different articles/books?

>Have a kid dude, you'll feed it out of an unsterilized bottle at some point, I guarantee it

LOL
I work at a pediatric hospital and I can guarantee you that you'll only make them susceptible to infections by using unsterilized bottles

>but dude I have a kid so...

Irrelevant to the medical consensus and the experience of attending literally hundreds of kids in a hospital

Nigga, I and my father have received the marketing dudes from Nestle several times

>you'll only make them susceptible to infections by using unsterilized bottles
I know. I'm saying you'll do it anyway, because the medical consensus don't count for shit. No battleplan survives three minutes contact with the enemy

>Nigga, I and my father have received the marketing dudes from Nestle several times
And by virtue of your argument here
You are a fucking retard.
You seem incapable of parsing a sentence, let alone risk.

>the medical consensus don't count for shit

Tell that to the lawyers

Cuck

>Kids are resilient anyway so even if you feed them out of date formula with unsanitary water and bottles, a lot of them survive
They might survive, but it doesn't mean that they thrive. And that's the point.

yeah i think most women ive been in relationships with enjoyed having their breasts sucked on.

but maybe you wanna suck on them in some nonsexual way, a manner indifferent to the woman's stimulation?

>hey might survive, but it doesn't mean that they thrive. And that's the point
>The kids this happened to would have thrived
No, they targeted disadvantaged kids who were likely to not thrive anyway. Still a lot survived. You're now not even contradicting the original sentence user tried to call retarded. Look up the incidents leading to the boycott: why would Nestlé target kids with any means of thriving?
>Cuck
lel

Again. You're missing the point entirely. Formula can keep babies alive just fine, but they do not make them thrive.
Breast milk is a known and verified ideal for children. There are countless studies which show that breast-fed babies show increased brain activity. One particular reason might be that breast milk increases myelin production. And given that the process of myelination is vital for brain development and its neural connections, it might even have long-term positive consequences well through the process of synaptic pruning.

Yeah, besides

It increase the oxytocin levels in the mother and the child
Thereby it increases the affective bond and the psychology development

>Again. You're missing the point entirely. Formula can keep babies alive just fine, but they do not make them thrive
Considering that I started this subthread with my comment on Nestlé, it'd be rather surprising if I missed my point, which was that they survive, not thrive. Here, I'll quote it in case you're lost
>Kids are resilient anyway so even if you feed them out of date formula with unsanitary water and bottles, a lot of them survive (thanks Nestlé for letting us find this out!)
You'll note how I was making a point about resilience and survival and not thriving. Which is why I used the words resilient and survive.
>Breast milk is a known and verified ideal for children
And while that is best practice, you'll see how I pointed out best practice is often ignored within 24 hours of birth
>It's also usually broken by medical professionals first because few moms refuse to send their kid to the nursery (where they bottle feed to allow the mother rest). Some women aware of this insist the kid stays with them but they're met with the suspicion of being the hippy dippy type despite the breast only message coming from medical professionals.
>A lot of best practice is that kind of thing.
>There are countless studies which show that breast-fed babies show increased brain activity. One particular reason might be that breast milk increases myelin production. And given that the process of myelination is vital for brain development and its neural connections, it might even have long-term positive consequences well through the process of synaptic pruning.
And every nurse working in a hospital nursery will ignore that and use formula as is common practice. You are entirely missing my point and raising points to which nobody has argued against (except nestle who had to stop due to market sentiment) as though I have argued against them. I suggest you learn how to read rather than just assuming you're on point.

This is just the wrong board for the topic. /ck/ has more moms, and /sci/ would actually be on topic

You aint gonna believe me, but I found the Lone Wolf and Cub comics very helpful as a father.

Pretty based.
youtu.be/gX4EFwv76Vg

Interesting post. Thanks.

Pic related isn't quite parenting, but supplementary education.
It may sound fucked up but for straight child rearing behavioral advice get a good book on training dogs. The psychology behind dog training and child training uses the same mechanisms.

Attached: 413RCJ9V70L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (307x475, 15K)

i have a psychological problem, i'm aware user. i wasn't blaming women there, just lamenting my own frustrations

that sounds so amazing, you are so lucky to be loved like that

i want to do it in a nonsexual manner that is a calming and intimate activity for both of us, an intimate act of bonding that she could still be doing other things while doing (be on her phone, for example). i just want her to love me and comfort me like the user above rubs his hair, but if she gets pleasure from it too then that's fine as well. but i'd prefer it to be an act of platonic bonding between us, like cuddling

>i want to do it in a nonsexual manner that is a calming and intimate activity for both of us, an intimate act of bonding that she could still be doing other things while doing (be on her phone, for example). i just want her to love me and comfort me like the user above rubs his hair, but if she gets pleasure from it too then that's fine as well. but i'd prefer it to be an act of platonic bonding between us, like cuddling

Why do I feel that this stems from mommy issues?

What's your relationship with your mother like (in the past and present)?

Mum told me she read that Dr Spock book and used stuff from it to raise me and I turned out fine, considering I've been on Yea Forums for ten years without becoming a useless neet.

it's always been fine between me and her, never any real issues i would say. i think my psyche is still stuck in childhood/preteen years however, hence this complex of mine. i don't know how cure myself of it though, and while i used to suppress it i have lately embraced it...it feels much better to be honest with myself about who i am and what i want. i feel so much better doing so. do you think i need therapy? is it so wrong to want what i want? i don't want to hurt anyone, or do anything unclean.

You are what you are, unless you are uncertain of what you are. In my eyes, therapists are bullshit, you know? In what way is another ordinary human being more qualified to tell me more about myself than everything I have already internalized? But I have a sense of mental stability. And perhaps this... whatever you may call it, is just a side-note to an otherwise stable personality... and yet every word you've submitted to this thread leads me to doubt that. Perhaps it's just underlying insecurity, as your last sentence might suggest. Or perhaps there's something more, and therapy would be a good decision for you. That's for you to decide. Either way, never miss an opportunity to better yourself, be it through your own deeds alone or via the help of somebody else.

Anyway, best of luck on your titty sucking conquest, brother.

i don't know what my nature is, or whether therapy would help or not...but thanks for the counsel fren, good luck in your life too

I hope this is a joke
This is a real answer