Can I just jump into this?

Can I just jump into this?

Attached: JoyceUlysses2.jpg (444x562, 125K)

Yes

Wouldn't that damage the book?

Yes. Fiction is not philosophy, there is no required reading beforehand. Of course, you will get more out of it if you have understanding of certain sources and whatnot, but that is what rereadings are for. And Ulysses is definitely worth multiple rereadings.

I would however suggest that if you are new to literary fiction to maybe wait until you've read Joyce's other work.

To be honest, you'll understand fuck all if you haven't read
>The Iliad
>The Odyssey
>Plato
>Aristotle
>The Aeneid
>The Metamorphoses
>The Divine Comedy
>The Canterbury Tales
>Shakespeare's works
>Paradise Lost
>Goethe's Faust
>Dubliners
>A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Actually, even if you read all that, you won't be able to fully appreciate Ulysses unless you've lived in Dublin for 10+ years. But the works above will make it largely intelligible.

Yes, you actually don’t even have to read the Odyssey. It’s mostly difficult because of the fragmented stream-of-consciousness prose, not because of obscure literary references

What a load of garbage. Is this bait?

You should just jump right into it. A lot of it you won't understand if you don't have an autistic, encyclopedic knowledge of 17th century Irish grammar and will be lost the moment the book references some Irish cave painting that three people in the world have seen or something. You won't be missing much if you just read the Odyssey and Hamlet beforehand.

So, when I read it, what mental mode should I read it?

should I just let my mind relax and let the book take its hold on me, or should I autistically read every line and try to break down the words and get the references and shit?

No, just try to read it and let the prose flow through you. You're not going to get all of it. I guarantee you.

Alright. thanks, my friend. So if I don't understand any particular reference, I should just move on and the words seep into me?

Also anything else you think I should pay attention to, while I let the prose flow over me? The narrative structure, techniques, et cetera?

>Just ignore all the author's influences, dude, it's not like Joyce ever referenced anyone
Sub-cringe tier brainletism, I feel only a deep pity for you and your unfortunate mother.

You will read it again. I've read it 3 times.

No, you cannot. You literally cannot.

Just read it and try to understand it. Even getting a coherent narrative will be difficult.

yes and no, depends on your level of erudition. but that's OK. get yourself one of those reader's guides to Ulysses, and read a chapter of Ulysses for the pleasure, then read the relevant chapter of the guide, then reread the chapter so you understand the content and style. then proceed to the next chapter. Yeah, it will take a while, but trust me it will be worth it. And it's easier than forcing yourself to read it straight through and being bewildered for all of it.

At least read Portrait first

Would you recommend any online reader guides, my friend?

online I don't know. there must be a bunch of resources, pick one and stick with that. if you can't understand jack, then find another one.
I had a book, written by some woman, I forget who. It was serviceable, but then I've a background in Irish literature so didn't need too much help.

Cringe

actually, yes, make sure you've read Dubliners and Portrait first. that should be the first order of business.

retarded.
1~3 chapters apart, ulysses is not that hard to understand on a second reading without secondary material.
reading it twice or more >>>> having read all referenced works.
Plus, you can read it now, continue on your literature journey and after you've read more works you reread and you'll realise by yourseld possible refrences

Just read it and listen to one of podcasts about it while you shitpost or work

here is my recomendation.
primary works you would actually benefit from reading before ulysses
>portrait of the artist
>hamlet
Both are pretty short and unlike other works that are "subtly" referenced, Ulysses is sort of a sequel to portrait (not that you need Portrait to understand Ulysses, but a lot of how Stephen is in Ulysses is due to things that happens in Portrait) and we follow the journey or the same hero in both books: Stephen Daedalus. About Hamlet, throughtout the book there are theories regarding Hamlet and the play is discussed by characters.
Now what I'd recomend is to read these 2 works and then read Ulysses by yourself without worrying to "get" things, just appreciate it, take it lightly so that you can appreciate the humor in it. After reading a first time, I'd suggest reading once more by yourself, now paying more attention. After this you can go for secondary material, books, internet pages and whatnot, just so that you can make your own interpretation of it before taking what some nigga has to say about it.

Other works that will likely improve the experience
>divine comedy (special relation with portrait)
>other works of shakespeare
>the bible
>the odyssey
>dubliners
>aquinas (both for portrait and ulysses)
but while I find it worthwhile to postpone ulysses to read portrait and hamlet, don't postpone to read these, as you read more of the canon you can just read ulysses again and appreciate it more