This is the worst book I have ever read

This is the worst book I have ever read.
Prove me wrong.

Attached: 7588.jpg (315x475, 29K)

Consider yourself filtered

Good idea, just filter the name Anonymous and all of your problems will be solved.

Not in the Yea Forums sense you mong

No surprise you didnt understand the book

>Redditspacing
>Calls someone retarded instead of actual arguments
>Actually likes Joyce
What a brainlet

It's certainly not the worst but it's also not my favorite of Joyce's works either. Chapters 3&4 were both great but the 5th chapter felt like it dragged on for a very anticlimactic ending, which is still okay, but I just felt like I was reading to finish it at that point.

Please be considerate and lurk more before you attempt to post here newfag

>tfw you will never embody the race soul of your people

It scared me out of atheism

Sorry, but you haven’t actually made an argument as to why portrait is the worst book, so why do you expect anyone else should do you the same courtesy?

Certainly not the worst I've read, but definitely overrated. Though I don't know what books you've read so I can't say for you.

are you kidding me like are you being ironic right now

Yes. It's an easy 7/10. The prose is obviously great, but the content itself isn't anything trascendental.

Because you haven't read Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

I don't know what other books you have or have not read so proving you wrong is impossible.

That sums up all of Joyce’s work

Joyce is amazing at least through Ulysses. Not even posturing, if you read him and understand him he’s great. If you didn’t like Portrait I have bad news for you.

You probably haven’t read many books so you might be right

We can't prove you wrong without knowing what other books you've read.

He can write a sentence so incredibly well, displaying such an ease of vocabulary, word placement, rhythm and all the other aspects that make great writing. But he doesn't show much grasp for actual content at all, and his place among the greats is only for the former aspects. He cannot compete with any other writer on matters of content.

>muh content

Attached: 604D2357-B64C-4683-B954-70455F9444BE.jpg (598x399, 23K)

>muh prrrrrroooowwwwseeeeeee

>he doesn't show much grasp for actual content at all
This idea is only held by people who legitimately do not understand what he was trying to do in any of his works
Portrait is hands down the best bildingsroman I've ever read and certainly one of the best ever written in English. Dubliners, Ulysses, and Finnegans Meme all had wildly different goals but also exceeded them to an insane degree
What "content" do any of you faggots want, long overwrought fantasy plots or some shit?

Irishman's opinion: First half of Portrait is very good; second half is boring (last few pages are great, though). Stephen Dedalus is an extremely unlikeable character (based as he is on Joyce, the philo semite degenerate).

As for his other works: Dubliners is great. Ulysses is good but unfortunately has a androgynous Jewish cuckold as the protagonist (the "modern day Odysseus" lol). Finnegans Wake is meme. His play was Irish stew and some of his poems are funny.

Attached: Pearse.jpg (710x450, 40K)

How good of a writer was Pearse? I've never read anything he did.

I beg to differ

Attached: 41AtMTPY8FL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (325x499, 47K)

Wow, you're lucky. Here's the worst book I ever read.

Attached: 91Ye7UGkwIL.jpg (1594x2475, 604K)

>literally advocates for "culture" that involves drinking out of human heads.

Sounds based

>Written by a black person
>'' ha ha so ghetto amirite??''

>Lack of content
I’m sorry, but Joyce is maybe the single most substantial, thoughtful writer there’s ever been. If you think there’s no content, the intricacies of his books have gone over your head.
Protip: Keep track of the adjectives / analogs he uses, because he often reuses them in an intentional manner.
An example:
(Portrait)
Dedalus has sex with the prostitutes with “bat-like souls.” Later, when Davin and Stephen are walking through the “dark narrow streets of the poorer jews,” Davin begins telling Stephen how a woman (not just any, presumably), in an area where “you wouldn’t see the sign of a christian house,” once called to him from her doorway attempting to have an affair with him. Joyce again uses “bat-like” to describe her soul.
Then in Ulysses, Bloom sees a bat flying around and immediately likens it to a man. “Like a little man in a cloak he is with tiny hands. Weeny bones.” Who is he thinking of?
Also:
“The truncated form of "bat" that Bloom uses four times, "Ba," is an Egyptian term for a part of the human soul, its personhood, that lives on after death.”

Implying he was wrong