Can Americans confirm this?

Can Americans confirm this?

Attached: 6 reasons why football isnt popular in america.jpg (1078x1442, 314K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yBkbj_S3etY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Soccer is seen as a children’s sport here. You then move on to baseball or American football in high school

yes
yes, love watching the NFL and interracial when that ends
maybe
yes
yes
yes

#4 and #5 are likely. from my perspective as a kid growing up in the midwest: we all mostly played as children. but as soon as we were allowed to play american football we switched. fair or not, the perception of soccer players from grade-school on up was of a pretty-boy, effeminate, or manlet.

>2. Obsession with excessively big things
Sounds legit, that explains why Americans are excessively big ahaha

Number 3 is probably the biggest reason, there’s no opportunities for ads besides the break after the first half. 45 minute halves are played in their entirety. There’s no bullshit tv timeouts

4 is right, I remember a 2 giants defense football players try that shit to stop the offense and they came up on the bloopers for month being refocused. Plus the Lelbron a/c “injury”

it boils down to it being boring as fuck and there being no tradition of it here.

Soccer was something we did in gym class even though no one knew the rules. Got married, had a son that from age 5, played soccer for another 12 years and I watched almost every match and I learned to like it. It’s one of my favorite sports now.

and my son’s favorite team is Manchester United and because of him, for me, it’s the Chevrolet’s

Also, no parity whatsoever.

#1 explain why they do nascar instead of F1

>no tradition of it here
>seen as amateur sport for women and children
>Americans hate the concept of ties alone; even the possibility of a 0-0 tie is unconscionable
>the prevalence of diving and embellishment have tainted soccer's reputation beyond repair, it's literally impossible to sell soccer to Americans based on that alone

Oh yeah that's a big one too. Imagine trying to sell Americans on a sport where one team wins almost every year for decades. Our champions league is a clown show, so there's little excitement in qualifying for that. What's the point?

More than anything the pace in general is far too slow for most americans and the general lack of scoring

Bootlegging?

it's because it's boring and gay

Its a sport for women and children. Seriously. Look at the frames of soccer players, theyre fucking pussies, and how they flop at the slightest touch and roll around on the ground. Seriously if you watch this shit as a grown man youre an automatic söyboy.

That didn't stop baseball from getting popular

Attached: [AC] Hunter X Hunter - 054 [BD][720p][Lucifer22].mkv_snapshot_20.32.251.jpg (1280x720, 223K)

Slow
Boring
Ties
Diving and baiting penalties is considered a strategy
Gay

No. This is Euro cope. Here's the real list:
>boring
>gay

Numbers 1 and 2 are just the typical snarky euro shit. 3 is definitely true. 4 is meh because basketball has a lot of fakery and it’s reasonably popular. 5 is true. 6 is false because most Americans are ignorant fat fucks. The main reason Americans don’t like it is that it’s boring.

What a stupid list.
Soccer isn't popular because they consider it a little kids sport. Their national sports are football and baseball and then you have basketball and hockey too. All of these sports are better than soccer, which is a boring and gay piece of shit.

if jews wanted americans would dominate soccer

Attached: EBgkLL5X4AU5h2c.png large.png (445x666, 234K)

I’m with you on that one. Baseball sucks

>Americans are not #1 in soccer
*men's soccer
>Obsession with excessively big things
What does this even mean? What is "big"?
>Not ideal for marketing and business
So how are soccer clubs worth billions?
>Excessive faking of injuries
This is true. It's antithetical to sport.
>Americans can't stand a tie
I guess. Who enjoys ties though?
>1863 and English expansion
I don't get it.

Because the cars look cooler and can go for longer runs

3 is the closest reason but what it really boils down to Soccer isn't a money making sport in the US so top athletes get into other sports like American Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey

>That didn't stop baseball from getting popular
It got popular during a different time, a slower time, and became an American pastime ingrained in us. Also, it can't end in a tie. There is a best of 7 games championship series, leaving no questions about who the champion is. Round robin is just downright un-American.

It’s called stock car racing because you could hypothetically buy one as a common pleb. Ford runs mustangs chevy runs camaros and so on. Americans don’t like F1 because there isn’t a way to feel a part of it like NASCAR. Also, we have a drag racing culture here that Europe doesn’t have so long straight away and high speed is more culturally in tune with our values.

organized baseball is over 150 years old

1. American teams (clubs) and the league are not number one. We'll watch the heck out of foreigners in basketball and baseball.

2. Yes.

3. Huh? It would be great for marketing here if more Americans liked it.

4. Yes.

5. Ties hurt it, yeah.

6. Wtf is "1863 and English expansion"? We were busy wrapping up our Civil War that year.

1. No, and that's fucking retarded. Every nation of people likes lots of stuff that they aren't #1 at.
2. This is literally only a Texas thing. One fucking state in the entire union. Not "American."
3. This is definitely true, as far as the money aspect is concerned. No commercial breaks is a big problem for the U.S. market.
4. This is a tremendous problem. The general impression from Americans less knowledgeable of the sport is definitely that it's a bunch of eurofags rolling around on the ground acting like someone stabbed them when they were barely touched. It's an absolutely pathetic display, and physically pains me to watch.
5. True as well. Fucking bullshit. Play until someone wins. I don't care if people are dropping dead on the fucking field. Somebody has to win.
6. 99.99% of Americans won't have any fucking idea what you're even talking about. The only thing Americans know about the Brits is that we kicked their fucking ass.

1. Obviously
2. Duh
3. Need to try harder
4. Just like everybody else, then?
5. Almost as much as they hate scoreless games
6. What? This is making my brain hurt.

fat

>when you were younger
liked basketball, football and a little bit of hockey
>when you are older
likes rugby, soccer, football, hockey and a little bit of cricket
>when you get into old age
likes football, rugby, women’s gymnastics, women’s volleyball, women’s figure skating, women’s track and hockey

This is the one. Corporations cant make ad revenue off it and burgers dont know what to like or care about unless corporations tell them to

1. gay
2. gay
3. gay
4. gay
5. gay
6. it's boring

we actually have real sports here

>What are the New England Patriots. Or The Golden State Warriors. Or Yankees Celtics Black Hawks Lakers
50 Titles in NBA history have been won by 5 teams

>worth billions

New York Red Bulls are most expensive American team at $264M.

Not even close. There are construction companies in my town that pull in more revenue than that.

We're not number one because we don't like it.

Flopping and faking injuries is literally the best part of soccer. That and match fixing and bad ref calls. I want drama and insanity, not "fair play" bullshit. VAR has ruined the game.

4 and 5 are the biggest reasons.

Considering how mexicans are outbreeding everyone, soon they will like it. Like it or not

>we
You mean France, Spain, Netherlands, Poland, Russia and the Kingdom of Mysore?

What the fuck is 1863 and English expansion?

The only Americans that hate soccer are either black or conservative/Republican/anti-leftist

>American Football
Originally based on Football or Rugby codes; only Walter Camp in 1880 made it something different.

>Baseball
British

>Football
British

>Tennis
British

>Polo
British

>Golf
British

>Cricket
British

>Basketball
Guy who created it was British in the colony of Canada. Canadian wasn't a nationality then. So, British.

>Netball
British

>Field Hockey
British

>Ice Hockey
British

>Water Polo
British

>Modern Olympics
British

I could go on, you play something, regardless.

just because they didn't invent it

americans prefer playing alone but securing a win than playing against other countries

That's why US 'Soccer' is so insufferable cringey.

soccer sucks dick
it's for fairy yuropoors and spics
we don't fuck with that shit here

Black man here. Soccer trash af no cap

how can you like basketball but hate soccer?

I could understand you if you were the stereotypical redneck who only watches college football and baseball, these 2 sports have nothing to do with soccer

but basketball and soccer have continous play and counterattacks

This is all you need to know
youtube.com/watch?v=yBkbj_S3etY

None of the games that Americans prefer over football they invented. The closest is basketball (British-Canadian creator in USA) and American Football (clue is in the name).

Its 3 and only 3. If anyone else tells you differently they are flat out lying. If its was like nfl or NBA it would be larger as it is a larger fan base.

F1 has no lead changes

Americans are fat and lazy, cant run for more than 5 minutes

>6

Attached: 1571081581934.jpg (741x568, 46K)

would they make good goalkeepers then at least?

>1863 and England expansion
1863 was when football was invented, or rather codified why would that trigger americans?
also wtf does England expansion mean?

libs aren't american desu

can confirm but I like to call those people "retards". soccer or association football is the fucking best. those champions leagues nights, watching a team or player grow through a long season which includes domestic tournaments- the relegation battles and of course the derby's. nothing like it. I finally understood the term "plastic" when I compare english football to all american sports. wish I were born english for real sports culture. eating some carcinogenic bullshit and drinking lite beers isn't culture

it's really bizarre. not a fucking person here would even know what #6 is suppose to mean

A F1 car is closer to a random modern car on sale right now than NASCAR. These 2000 hp bathtubs are stuck in the 1960s.

the real answer is, like all English colonies, they developed their own sporting codes and traditions long before soccer codified

obsessed, rent free etc.

Which is weird because F1 is more on the design team and type of car vs the driver. Sure the driver is an important part, but in NASCAR every car is held to such a strict design code that the drivers are everything.

I prefer F1 as an American, but as they introduce more electric into them I grow weary. Give me the f1 of old with v8's and v10's back

There are a few sports Americans dominate, like swimming, that nobody cares about outside of the olympics, but that might be different, so I'm saying maybe
Soccer can be pretty big so I don't know what the second point is referring to
Anything can be marketable if enough money is pumped into it
4 is by far the most accurate, it's almost always the first complaint I hear when I discuss soccer with other people, same goes for basketball lately
The intolerability of ties is probably also true, the NFL is the only league that has ties since the NHL introduced the shootout in the regular season, and fans on both sides are generally disappointed when a game ends in a tie
And of course, all Americans who don't watch or even know anything about soccer are deeply resentful about the injustice of '63 and the regrettable England expansion (seriously, I understand 1863 was the year soccer and rugby split, but what does england expansion refer to?)

Stock car is more of a historical/traditional term. Originally, they raced cars that anyone could make and sold on the public market. Gradually it just turned into a nameplate thing where manufacturers would enter their "" despite it having nothing to do with the car it was supposed to be based on.

lol 1863 was right smack dab in the middle of the Civil War. NOBODY gave any shit as to what was happening elsewhere in the world while soldiers were trudging right through their backyard and leaving piles of amputated limbs all over the place.

cringe.

Soccer has the stigma of being a girl sport. Which is weird because it's more physical than basketball and baseball.

it's gay

>more physical than basketball
how do you figure that? just because the court is smaller and it takes less time to get from one end to the other doesn't really make it less "physical".

>1. different cultures develop different pastimes
mystery solved

There is no amount of American soccer success that will make Americans like soccer

If they won the world cup they would take over Yea Forums for a day and then promptly go back to burgerposting

the gay stigma, the onions stigma
basically all american soccer fans fit the same liberal, city-fag description

Attached: 1582561913071.jpg (831x1024, 122K)

very stupid

but the sport is on major networks and generates major revenue during big tournaments. this theory holds no water

It's weird that it's the opposite here, we play baseball (rounders) in school then never play it again.

>what is cherrypicking

there is quantifiably more parity in our sports due to structure

there are clubs outside of the US, friend

Have you ever played soccer?

wholesome, my dad thinks soccer is gay as hell

I remember when soccer was for middle class and above white kids. Good times.

Have you?

I love soccer but I’ll never understand why the sport uses penalty shootouts and aggregate scores to decide games. Seems so outdated. Why do goals get more value for an epl team that has to take a 3 hour flight to Italy in a private jet and stay overnight at a luxury hotel for a CL match. Away goals are such a scam

>1. Americans are not #1 in soccer
This might have something to do with it, but most Americans want to keep it that way. A handful of weirdos root for the US team in tournaments, but most Americans I know either don't care or actively root against our team, because they don't want soccer to get a foothold here.
Also, the women's US team is usually the best in the world, and that hasn't seemed to help the sport's popularity here at all.

>2. Obsession with excessively big things
The pitch is too big and it makes the game slow as fuck. Cut the field's size down and reduce the number of players. Nobody wants to watch one team pass back and forth for half an hour.

>3. Not ideal for marketing and business
And yet NBCSN tries its damnedest to shill the Premier League over here. The lack of spots to put in commercial breaks might seem like an issue, but TV companies here still clearly want people to watch.

>4. Excessive faking of injuries
It is pretty fucking embarrassing. But I'd bet that the average normie who isn't interested in soccer hasn't even gotten to the point of worrying about diving.

>5. Americans can't stand a tie
So have overtime.

>6. 1863 and England expansion
No fucking idea what this is talking about.

Real problems:
>it's seen as fundamentally foreign, and America is still insular and isolationist
>it's too big, too slow, and it's fucking boring
>shit webm related

Attached: fuck soccer.webm (640x360, 2.53M)

And baseball is dying.
Nobody under 40 cares about that shit boring sport.

People approach baseball all wrong. It's a marathon not a Sprint. Go for the game, hang out in the sunshine with junk food and beer, walk around a bit. It's great. You lose a game nbd because there is 161 more of them

>because there is 161 more of them
That's too fucking many.

I've been to a few games and it's boring as fuck. The only impressive aspect is how fast pitchers can throw.

Every time factors are presented, it's easy to break down each point as why they can be perceived as unenjoyable to americans. If you went around asking people who don't watch soccer why, they'd probably give you the same answer. And I think if you're over the US, the better question is why should america care about soccer? The US has so many fucking sports at any time that all have relatively well-paced scheduling and opportunities to watch as many as possible. That competition alone is staggering. It's not like other countries don't have tons of options, but the sports industry in the US is a juggernaut of entertainment.

Attached: 1h3.png (306x290, 3K)

>Go to a game to do anything other than watch the game
Why not just go to a park?

>Also, the women's US team is usually the best in the world, and that hasn't seemed to help the sport's popularity here at all.
Nobody cares about women's sports that lack eye candy (ala volleyball or tennis) anywhere.

Soccer is for faggots plain and simple. It why’s Europeans are getting genocided in their own countries (LMAO) because they can’t find a gf.. as if that’s a genocide.

Pathetic

could it be because big tournaments are rarer and people just come and watch anyway, like idc much for basketball or nfl but i would probably watch finals sometimes just because

Yep. Grew up playing basketball then started playing soccer later.

I bet you guys argue because you have your own idea of what "physical" mean, these fucking words are loaded as fuck sometimes, just lay it out in detailed and argue properly
The guy for basketball probably talking about the highjump and dunking and shit, the guy for soccer probably talking about distance running for the whole game

Takes a lot more stamina to play football, 90 minute matches whereas basketball players come on and off the bench constantly.
Physicality sure, but that's to be expected when every player is 6'8 and built like brick shithouses

i think midfielders average 9+ miles per game

I'm the soccer guy. I'm talking about the tackles, the header challenges, the collisions, etc. I'm talking about being cleated by someone sliding in for the ball, mistiming the maneuver and getting a gash in the side of your calf.
I'd much rather be on the receiving end of a technical foul in basketball than a red card in soccer.
I'm convinced people who say soccer is for pussies have never played it for real.

Stop and start sprints remember, it's a lot more than just the distance they cover.

>*56 percents in your path*

I don't like homeless people.

Then go to a suburban park. You're much less likely to run into homeless there than going to a big league ballpark.

Its pretty much these, OP. We all play it in school, but the kids that didn't move on from soccer to dodgeball in 6th grade certainly move on to tackle football in high school. Its just how things worked here.

Of course now that there is no dodgeball, and no tackle football (Or even flag football now) in most schools, soccer is coming back. Less injury prone, more technical.

Honestly, the real reason it doesn't catch on here is probably #4, but not for the reason you'd expect. Look at all the American sports doing prime time here - Boxing and MMA, Football, NASCAR (If that counts as a sport) which people mostly watch for the crashes...

Basically we're using sports as a stand-in for gladiatorial games. We want to see people compete, beat the hell out of each other and get hurt doing so, because combat is extremely entertaining. They won't let us televise real gladiators, but a lot of our modern sports are hyper-commercialized versions of the same thing with a ball in the place of indiscriminate murder.

Soccer won't truly become a thing in the US until there's a singular extraordinary talent/personality that can capture the nation's attention. A Hero that countless boys can look up to and inspire them to take on the sport for life. Think Ruth or Jordan level. And it's gotta be homegrown. Importing foreign stars like Pele and Beckham won't cut it. The closest we've come to that in years was that goalie from 2014 who made the WC record for saves in a match, but it's kinda hard to rally behind a goalie to get heads turning.

i think it's as simple as there's no money in it. donovan is your best striker of all time and he was earning barely a million a year.

Attached: GettyImages-1154477661.jpg (644x429, 63K)

I saw something a couple days ago, cant remember if I was watching something or playing some game, but someone was like "We don't like soccer because we're not the best at it" and I was like word, real shit. It's that and 3

No
No
No
Yes
Yes
No

Attached: 43828407_695264450836296_7535880253839769600_n.jpg (368x518, 41K)

Or a Lance Armstrong

>can't even fucking remember tim howard name
u just shit on your own point

do we have that Christane that kid from Chelsea

I love these memes

It's because we have electricity and so can enjoy the final form of soccer after it has made all possible improvements (less pointless people, smaller field, faster pace, a goal that isn't 500 square feet)
And yet we don't really care about hockey either

Soccer is literally boring, gay, for women and children. Baseball is not. Cope harder LMAO

Baseball is absolutely boring and for children. It's pretty gay too.

nah it's just that it's a children's sport. Low maintenance, no physicality/contact, simple / not much strategy, doesn't really reward atheleticism etc.

I hate ties and all of the flopping/fake injuries.

t. Has never played football in his life.

do you hate football and basketball then?

except we're not #1 at soccer because we don't care, not the other way around. Soccer is literally where our 5th or 6th tier athletes go after football, basketball, baseball, hockey and even some meme sports like wrestling. If we had guys like Lebron or Odell Beckham Jr on our soccer teams we'd be first by a mile in that too.

Reason 1 of 1: Americans are fat

I don’t give a shit, unlike dicklet insecure Europeans I don’t care about living in a multiracial country. Why are you so terrified of being a minority? Afraid you won’t get that delicious white privilege? Afraid you’ll be forced to actually work and be rewarded for your merits alone?

Nah, miss me with the 1488 heil Hitler shit fucking faggot lmao, I have zero pity that Euros can’t get gfs. Like less than zero honestly lmfao

Its not violent enough

Baseball is the least gay sport. No homoeroticism, uniforms are baggy and casual, not faggy or encourage sissy behavior like faking injuries like soccer. Also there’s no spandex or homoerotic spanking like football. It’s just guys hitting stuff with giant caveman clubs. It’s comfy and based.

It’s boring, sure, but many masculine things are “boring” to zoomers. It’s why they can’t figure out how to operate can openers.

dios mio

>Lebron
a 6'9 bloke would be awful at football. it's one of the few sports where being a manlet is an advantage due to a low centre of gravity. pele, maradona, messi, all manlets

I know you’re actually seething right now, once you realize normal people don’t care about interacting with minorities your whole world view shatters. You can’t cope with the fact that people just aren’t insecure virgins who think secret Jewish cabals are conspiring against him and an internet anime forum (LMFAO).

Oh well :) your country is experiencing a demographic shift too so I never understood the 56% thing (beyond being a Nazi incel dog whistle) and your country will be better for it.

in his prime he was pretty much the peak athlete in every way - speed, strength, footwork, coordination etc. Even if a basketball player isn't the best example you get my point. We've got plenty of normal height athletes in our major 4 sports.

Rednecks don't watch baseball. Baseball viewers have the highest median income of the big four sports. Rednecks in the South only care about college football, despite not graduating high school. Rednecks in the North watch the NFL and NHL. Urban shitskins follow NBA players.

God baseball is so... well... “based”. I love it. It really is the ultimate pleb (European) filter. Their tiny little walnut brains just fry trying to comprehend why it’s such a good sport.

The average American sports athlete is over 6' and over 200 lbs. The average soccer player is like 5'10" and 165 lbs.

Attached: 05-IEGST5U.jpg (801x796, 438K)

Boomers have ruined soccer for America. The more they die off, the more popular soccer gets.

I said we have plenty, didn't say anything about average. Obviously a sport like basketball where there are a ton of 6'10+ players skews the average a lot.

One of the few things that generation got right desu

true. I wish I understood baseball better. I grew up on football so thats the only sport I really understand inside and out

Each dot in that image is an individual player. Can you show me where the large number of normal sized guys are? Because there are like 10 of them in that image out of a thousand guys.

Fewer boomers, more spics, MORE SOCCER.

I dont' get what you're implying, only world-average size players are good at soccer? Just because the rest of the world produces manlets doesn't mean our athletes wouldnt' dominate them.

i honestly consider this 10x gayer, watching men on spandex colling each other is actually pretty gay
you need kits and pads to play a slower version of rugby, seriously how sissy can you guys be?

Attached: external-content.duckduckgo.com.png (500x603, 579K)

This is correct. Plus soccer is by far the most feminine and liberal of all sports

Just you wait. MLS will find a way to insert more hydration breaks or commercials during VAR and the world will follow. Just like the spray foam free kick lines that euros made fun of before adopting.

>every club has a brand across their chest and oligarch owners
OH NO NO NO NO

Patriots won 6 titles in 20 years and they're by far the most dominant team ever. Warriors won 3 in 4 years. That's as dominant as it gets in American sports, there's no Bayern Munich winning the league 8 years in a row

>incorrect punctuation/grammar
100% written by a Euro

1. Wrong, at least on the womens side.
2. Huh?
3. Anything can be marketed
4. IDK
5. Agreed - hockey changed its rules to end ties
6. What is this I don't even

American football players could be elite rugby players. 99% of rugby players could not make an NFL roster besides punters

Correct. Russell Westbrook would be a better example. He'd be as fast as Ronaldo/Bale but taller and better at winning headers.

Hating baseball is anti-American communism

Maximum cringe. Yikes

Physical means contact. There's very little contact in basketball and specially baseball compared to soccer.

I've watched enough football to know that the average football player cannot improvise anything without being told what to do. The amount of times a defender stands still while a receiver walks in or giving the quarter back on the run the space to pull of a pass because they're afraid he's going to run only leads me to believe that American football has a very low technical and tactical ceiling that relies on nothing but size and athleticism. If other countries decided to give a shit about it they would turn the sport upside down in a decade.

>This is correct. Plus soccer is by far the most feminine and liberal of all sports

If it requires actual finess and not just being a big nigger like lukaku it doest mean that its feminine

>bring my pet egret to stadium
>gate wagecuck tells me they don't allow pet birds in, despite the fact guy just a few lines over has parrot on his shoulder
>complain to security
>they explain its because of the half time fireworks extravaganza
>try to lie and pretend Mr. Leggy has been through Explosive Management training
>have to leave my bird in nearby creek
>go to game, its actually soccer so I fall asleep
>wake up after the game
>stadium is empty
>panic and run to find bird
>police officer waiting
>begin to tear up fearing the worst
>they ask if its my heron
>correct them regarding taxonomy
>they explain the creek is a protected trout creek and that my pet ate one of the fish
>have to get taxi to local station
>spend $2000 to bail my bird out of jail
>get on last train home
>mom didn't even make food
>bird doesn't care because she already ate
>Spaghetti-O's alone again

>1. Americans are not #1 in soccer
ummm.... we literally are though? In fact we've been ranked #1 for 3 years now, and have NEVER been worse than #2

Attached: Screenshot from 2020-03-03 22-19-32.png (289x684, 61K)

Soccer is the left wing sport full of small metrosexual men who fake injuries and obsess over their hair. It's literally the sport of gays in America

Lol what a retard. Put any NFL OLB on a rugby pitch and they're instantly the strongest, fastest player. NFL guys are a different level of athlete.

Soccer is a dumb name, americans will never call it football but they should create a term to call the sport.

cope.

It’s simply too late for football to become big in America. The nfl, nba, and mlb all have a headstart on it. Just look at the MLS, everything about it is forced. They’re trying to generate a culture out of nothing. It’s a parody of European football. Also, any player from America that might be worth a damn will play in Europe.

this is the biggest reason and no one has brought it up.
americans already have football, basketball, baseball, and hockey. what can soccer do to stand out or gain a foothold in the market? why would Americans take the chance of getting involved in a whole new sport if it offers nothing new compared to what is already popular. soccer was later to cross the pond, and now the market is saturated.

You’ve clearly never played baseball if you think there’s no homoeroticism and ass slapping

>what can soccer do

I think the biggest advantage of soccer over American sports is that you get AT LEAST 2x 45min of action without pauses. Not a dig, just my 2 cents.

What are you talking about? If football was so gay it would be the biggest sport in the US of the A...

Soccer's niche is how international it is. Chicago Fire might not win the World Cup but it can win the Club World Cup. Imagine having your local team playing the best teams around the world. My point is if MLS teams can somehow compete in prestigious intercontinental competition like the UCL it will catch some eyes. For the national team, they should make it their mission to at least get quarters every WC

>americans can't stand a tie
hockey

That's a result of it being 'le contrarian choice', not a cause. If it was say the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport there this wouldn't be the case.

No. 1 is probably the biggest reason why. The only reason any Americans care about women's soccer is because the US is the only country that gives two fucks about women's soccer and so, therefore, they're the best at it.

People do seem to give more of a shit when the U.S. is in the world cup if they make it past groups or at least have a chance to make it past groups, though. 2014-2015 was great for the sport in the country after their Ro16 run, MLS averages raised by about 2,000+ per game

This. I unironically think that a Mourinho or Pep would shit on the entire sport if you give them a mediocre team and a year to study.

i don't get #2. soccer is the biggest sport in the world. unironically though, #3 is the biggest deal. if there were more ad space for corporations to exploit in soccer, it would absolutely, 100% be more popular here.

3 > 6 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 2

In the 20s, problems gaining FIFA accreditation and rival soccer leagues killing each other off with the help of the Great Depression and WWII are bigger reasons why soccer isn't popular here. It was popular enough in the early nineteenth and early twentieth century even with baseball and football around.
But all that killed any chance it had to take a foothold as a major sport. After WWII you then had anti-European sentiment taking shape which influenced the way it's seen here today, along with other shit like diving.

this is correct. also

-seen as a foreigner sport
-seen as most feminine sport
-soccer fans are a spergs

#4 is true for me. The biggest point that is not on there is we hate how little scoring there is.

you do know Japan were doing this on purpose because they would go through to the next round of the world cup
this doesn't generally happen in football games, it happened in this one instance where mathematical certainty allowed Japan to do whatever they wanted to
cowardly, yes, but also incredibly rare

I'm not interested in watching a bunch of fairies take dives and act hurt.

Soccer was fun to play as a kid but I just dont want to watch professional pussies frolick around

>not ideal for marketing or business
I cant remember how many fly emerites or fly dubai teams are out there now.

>#5 Americans can't stand a tie
several years ago (in like 2001 or 2002 i think) the baseball all-star game ended in a tie. its basically an exhibition/friendly and has zero impact on any team's season unless a player got hurt (which is why they didn't keep going, they didn't want to hurt pitchers). fans were absolutely seething nationwide because a friendly was allowed to end in a tie

by 2nd and 3rd generation our mexicans turn into diehard handegg, apehoop and boreball fans. they buy jerseys at the same rates blacks seem to

i thought it was about the anti-english ressentiments in the US, which lead to the americans to "invent" their own sports rather than adopting existing english ones.

I mean, at the start of ww1, GB was actually afraid of the US joining germany because of them. But lucky for us, the french-us alliance were more important than the prior hostilities between us and gb.

the only racing i watch is horse racing so i know fuck all about F1/nascar but I thought Formula 1 was called that because they had to have 1 litre engines?

the entire premise is wrong.

Soccer is the #2 to #3 sport in the country.
Also grows at a pretty big rate.

the difference is, every soccer fan supports a different league/team.

this leaf gets it. every board would be flooded with USA USA USA and it would be right back to handegg threads 24 hours later

Nah, the whole argument is stupid. We have 350 million people.
Theres always going to be many millions that love soccer, and many millions that dont like it and talk shit.
All of this is based on perception.
Even though this is basically true..

>GB was actually afraid of the US joining germany because of them
>implying Jews weren't always going to side with Jews
>implying the US didn't join Britain after the Jewish bankers stabbed Germany in the back because Germany were starting to realise what they were
>Implying Britain or the US had any say

Based all this eurocope

we'd already had Greg Lemond before Armstrong. Nobody actually gave a shit about the TDF either. It was basically just USA USA USA posting irl. Nobody even watched the bike race, we just knew he always won. The real winner of those races was probably the one guy who didn't cheat and came in like 54th place

By the logic of #1 being the biggest reason, we'd be watching women's soccer all the time. Also, we tend to get outplayed by foreign teams in international baseball events, but it's still our pastime.