What does Yea Forums think of BJJ?

What does Yea Forums think of BJJ?
I need to be redpilled.

Attached: BJJ-White-Belt-Concepts-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DEVpZBH7m_M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Meme

yeah, make sure you tell the black guy and all his homies that its against the rules to kick you in the head after you take it to the ground

1 on 1 its the most effective martial art you can learn, proven time and time again.

Blow Job Janice's nickname might be a little on the nose, but by God she earned it.

Pro's: Heaps of fun, very humbling (ego tripping fuckers get traumatized by their first session so they drop out), steep learning curve, nice people

Cons: skin rash, soreness

GIWTWM
the whole point of the Gracies is that they were holding no-holds-barred fights long before UFC against fighters of all disciplines, and winning.

Attached: Kyra Gracie.jpg (194x259, 8K)

if you can take wrestling. I would do this instead. Maybe some /box/ as well. After you have completed a few years of wrestling and still want to BJJ, just join a non meme club
they also ducked a lot of competition and jumped people

Basically just judo

not a single UFC champion today has BJJ as a base

>spending hours and hours every week rolling on the floor with sweaty men feeling them up
incredibly homosex

Basically incels Judo.

new thing for the nerds to jump into after the karate hype died 20 years ago

good MA if you want to play it safe. Definitely overrated though. heavy marketing. Best to be cross trained with: traditional JJ/boxing/wrestling

󠛡󠛡󠛡󠛡󠛡

not entertaining to watch but useful in mma.

It's the only way you'd ever get close contact with a female so go for it mate.

it stands for Bro Job John, you fucking incel

>they were holding no-holds-barred fights long before UFC against fighters of all disciplines, and winning.
>1v1 fights*
In a streetfight you're best off being a boxer. 99% of people don't know how to fight so even just moderate boxing ability puts you ahead of everyone else. Kicks are dangerous, you've had a few drinks and you're going to be a fall risk. Not to mention uneven ground and a wet floor can make you fall flat on your arse. Boxing keeps you on your feet so you can always run away if the tables get turned, unlike a grappling discipline which leaves you cuddling your opponent on the floor whilst his three buddies kick the shit out of you.
The only time grappling is useful is in 1v1 fights

always love how boxing retards disparage grappling by saying "b-but what if a 3v1 happens?!"
shut the fuck up you inbred islandmonkey, if a 3v1 happens your fucking boxing won't help you, you're gonna get fucked either way, life is not a fucking bruce lee movie you sickly pale monkey
face it, wrestling is the most effective martial art in a street fight. your 10v1 scenarios won't change that
hope you die

BJJ is the modern Kung Fu. Can be useful but is outclassed by other MAs.
Wrestling is the king of grappling, this isn't even up for debate. BJJ is mogged by wrestling in amateur, pro and street fights. BJJ is a fad 100%, a judoka is going to breeze through the UFC in a few years and all the BJJ shills will jump ship. Judo would even be more useful in a street fight because you want to stay on your feet. BJJ "stand up" is just judo for asthmatic nerds.

Don't get me wrong, BJJ is a useful MA, you're just better off learning wrestling or judo if you want to learn a non-striking MA

>if a 3v1 happens your fucking boxing won't help you
No it won't, but being able to run away and see what's coming will. You can't do that whilst spooning on the floor.
>life is not a fucking bruce lee movie
Which is why you want to be on your feet so you can run away you utter retard.

They literally all train BJJ in addition to wrestling and ground game
If they didn't you'd see them get totally exposed

Boxers are the real chads

I prefer BJ if you know what i mean

But when someone with a BJJ background goes against a wrestler they get completely exposed as being a memetial artist. The fact of the matter is you only need passable BJJ skills at the top level. It's the same with boxing, once you reach a certain point it's better to focus on kickboxing/muay thai as you'll see a larger overall improvement from those skills.

You need to be able to walk before you can run, but you're not going to win the 200m by being really good at walking

It's an incredibly fun and interesting sport to practice, bonus point if you get triangle choked by a girl with thick thighs.
I do no gi tho.
BJJ superiority isn't as strong as it used to be desu. Strict BJJ has losts its edge now that everyone is familiar with it and a lot of submission don't come from something specifically in the BJJ ruleset (typically guards/being on your back). In fact Wrestling with basic BJJ is stronger than BJJ with basic wrestling.

Attached: 1572529726390.gif (320x240, 572K)

>But when someone with a BJJ background goes against a wrestler they get completely exposed as being a memetial artist.
youtube.com/watch?v=DEVpZBH7m_M

>BJJ, more like BBC

Bu Jido ?

MMA rules stack the deck against jiu jitsu and make wrestling more of a defensive style.

I train boxing and jiu jitsu, and you really need a striking + grappling style to be a complete martial artist. A dude in my boxing gym got beat up because somebody took him down and he was helpless on the ground. Boxing and jiu jitsu are both great and very effective at what they do, but they both have major limitations.

Your hands can never be 'good enough'. Most knockouts in MMA come from punches.

Pat quit because he knew Gordon was trying to gas him out.

Be a judo and wrestling chad not a BJJ virgin.

Judo is just an inferior form of wrestling. There is no reason to train it over wrestling, unless it's all that's available to you.

>I train boxing and jiu jitsu, and you really need a striking + grappling style to be a complete martial artist. A dude in my boxing gym got beat up because somebody took him down and he was helpless on the ground. Boxing and jiu jitsu are both great and very effective at what they do, but they both have major limitations.
You don't need to be a martial artist to win a street fight
>Your hands can never be 'good enough'. Most knockouts in MMA come from punches.
Punching doesn't end at boxing. A large % of punching KOs come from ground and pound after the opponent has been dropped or taken down.

Absolutely agree with you here, wrestling is top but bjj is not a meme, hence every single mma fighter learning it

Indeed, but I feel there is kind of a kneejerk reaction towards BJJ because some of the practitioners treat it as the only grappling discipline mattering in MMA, when the reality is more nuanced. Excessive hate because of excessive praise, that kind of thing.

BJJ isn't a meme but BJJ practitioners are

while BJJ and MMA added a lot to create a sense of realism in the MA world and brought in a new generation, they also causes the exact toxic mentality we have itt.
It feels like MA really went downhill by becoming absolute pleb tier in the last 5-10 years or so. Then again, we had that useless X is better than Y talks back in the 90s too.... Guess the only thing that did change is that more people these days tend to have strong opinions about things they never experienced first hand. But that a general post 2000 thing...

t. MA for 35yrs, trainer for 10yrs JJ/Wrestling/BJJ/Boxing/Judo

>You don't need to be a martial artist to win a street fight

Depends on the situation. Maybe you do. Maybe you don't. Maybe you would be fucked no matter what. I recently saw a video of a fight where some giant bouncer was restraining a dude and got heemed by the guy's 120lb girlfriend kicking him in the head.

>Punching doesn't end at boxing. A large % of punching KOs come from ground and pound after the opponent has been dropped or taken down.

You have to jump on anybody that gets dropped in MMA, that's just the game. But most of those guys end up on queer street from punches from the feet.

This is very true. Most BJJ instruction is garbage. This is why the same handful of schools and coaches are the only ones able to win anything, or use BJJ in high level MMA.

I don't think it's particularly more toxic tbf. There was always "my style>your style" and "martial arts don't work in the stree". MMA at least brought a reality check regarding TMA and McDojo

Or you can train both which is what sambo basically is

Have you ever had guys show up at your gym, trying to challenge you infront of the students like in the movies?

I think sambo is like catch wrestling, where the idea is great but good luck finding a skilled instructor in the US or Canada.

not that I remember but I always try to spar with the new ones during the first two sessions anyway to give them a short feedback about their general sense of movement and tension, about their instincts and so on. Whenever I detect some experience/talent (actually you don't need sparring for that - just looks at the movement for some seconds tells the whole story), I ask them about their background. I can't remember being off spot to be honest but then again I learned MA even before reading and writing, so I pretty much feel like a fish in water with this one ...

What changed is that todays people will bring up their backround on their own even before the put on their sports wear for the first time. And sometimes they're pretty cocky tbqh "Man I had X for about Y years, we did a lot of abc, do you guys even...?" There's more confidence in less skill if you ask me. But maybe I just turn older :)

How do I deal with assholes in the gym that always use full force while sparring?

Yeh 10 Gracies vs 1 guy in a hotel lobby, monkey warfare hehe :^)

Jacare Souza?

>tf
how have you not seen his fight with Whittaker
he's not even a wrestler or a BJJ guy and he just fucking stood up lmao
best BJJ guy in the world on his back, body triangle on, and he just turned around and stood up and then beat the fuck out of him

amazing, this thread is still alive... I tell people to spar in a way that benefits the other guy. If you feel the other guy is making a mistake, try to punish - if you feel, he's on the right track, let it happen once in a while and encourage. Your goal should not be to show off your experience/dominance but to use it to give the other guy feedback of what he does well and what he doesn't. In fact; good sparring is more or less comunication (!) without using words.

to tame hotshots it's talking first. explain what you expect them to do in sparring. If that doesn't help, they're not allowed to choose their partners themselfes anymore, you'll do that instead to protect the rest. Also: explain, why you do this. If things are still a mess, talk again, after that no sparring, after that no train.

personally I never had to through out people but we had a case like 15 years back with a huge guy (like 2m, 100kg+) who prefered to spar/train with little women in a way that made them feel uncomfortable, saying "You have to press your body to mine here - like cuddling" and so on. We had quite some talks without much improvement, so in the end, we had to tell him he won't have female training partners again and that kind of settled the case for the moment and he left some months later.

what are the odds of me getting a girls foot in my face while practicing bjj?

People who train BJJ are still capable of running you god damn idiot

Its because bjj doesn't exist without a gi. You can be an mma level black belt no gi in under a year. After that it comes down to how good you are at doing it, but you can learn it all in that time.

Bjj is a fun sport and a great way to win a 1v1 fight. Other than that it's useless and only something you need to know so you don't get memed on

>But when someone with a BJJ background goes against a wrestler they get completely exposed as being a memetial artist

Attached: 5db47b54156c6[1].jpg (1200x674, 77K)