When did football become "modern"?

When did football become "modern"?

Attached: 6543260-e1406197645673.jpg (512x436, 62K)

2018 WC introduction of VAR

bossman ruling 1995 + italian companies and mafia money allowing them to become the best league in the world, with even teams like Parma being great

when Maradona played in Napoli, iirc, teams could only have 2 foreigners, most of the best Brazilian and Argentina players still played in Argentina. with those same rules, these days a Croatian team could be one of the best in the world, and the real Madrid with Cristiano Benzema Bale Modric Kroos Casemiro Navas Marcelo Varane wouldnt have been possible

Bosman Law

When man city was bought

Pre 1966 is golden age
From then until 1992 is silver age
Then up to 2008 (start of Messi / Ronaldo era) is bronze age and from then up to now is the plastic age which we're still in.

in the 80s/90s

*Soccer

1992 when the Premier League was formed and split away from the English League, signalling the dawn of 'the global brand'.

this

this

70s late 60s. when total football was introduced

Attached: vi-4485651.jpg (760x506, 104K)

nogomyach

1992, when FIFA finally banned keepers from handling passes.

Can't believe it took you faggots 100+ years to figure that shit out.

when the power shifted to football agents, which was shortly after the Bosman ruling

Attached: mafioso_mendes.jpg (920x517, 42K)

around the year 2000, in other sports too, give or take a couple of years is when i notice tactics and player conditioning "modernising" and things like systematic and holistic approaches based on a hard science from administrators/officials etc. within organisations forming

after pep, football was never the same
2006 WC is the last true football tournament, afterwards it's just been pepball (or it's obvious opposite, mouball or "parking the bus then counterattack with very fast ngubus/moors")

With VAR. Pre-VAR era doesn't count.

Correct.

When advertisers were allowed to plaster ads on the kits.

This and
This

Players were suddenly elevated to celebrity status rather than team members and they could then bleed clubs dry before agents engineered their next big money move.

He said when football became 'modern', not when the cancer of modern football was created.

Yup
Only thing is the quality of foreign players in serie A was top notch. Zico playing for Udinese for example.

When foreign players were injected into the Premier League

It was fine when we were importing superstars to boost teams, but as soon as clubs started looking abroad for average squad fillers you knew the game was fucked. No more local lads rising through the ranks on a regular basis due to being 5th choice when they hit 21.

Who would be to blame for that though?

Arsenal?
Chelsea?

I like football

I like football a lot a lot

1992 when the Champions League started with a round-robin group stage and allowing multiple entrants from certain countries.

And it's already been mentioned the PL was created in the same year. Opening the flood gates for foreign capital and mercenaries in England. 10 years later you had oil money and American-style customers instead of supporters, killing traditional football.

Attached: May_I_just_point_out.png (222x211, 4K)

the moment finals were decided by penalty shootouts, 80s for club football, 90s for national teams

1992 had start of the PL, Champions League and the backpass rule. Undeniably when the modern era began imo

I consider Pele the first modern player. Combination of both athletism and technical skill.

On the pitch, around the time the English introduced Total Football to the Dutch

Off the pitch, the 1880s

when facebook, twitter, instagram arrived and footabll has stopped to be only something related to the match.

This man changed football forever:
>Jean-Marc Bosman (French: [ʒɑ̃ maʁk bɔsmɑ̃]; born 30 October 1964) is a Belgian former professional footballer,[1] whose judicial challenge of the football transfer rules led to the Bosman ruling in 1995. This landmark judgement completely changed the way footballers are employed, allowing professional players in the European Union (except for Malta where the illegal parameter system at the end of contract is still legal) to move freely to another club at the end of their contract with their present team.[2]

>Prior to the landmark trial, Bosman played for Belgian first division club Standard de Liège[3] and RFC Liège and won 20 caps for Belgium at youth level. While the trial was ongoing Bosman played briefly in the French lower leagues, and on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion.

>Some of his money was lost due to a bad investment in a special T-shirt line. Bosman hoped that the players who benefited from the Bosman ruling would support him by buying one of his "Who's the Boz" T-shirts. He sold only one, to the son of his lawyer. In order to pay his taxes, he was forced to sell his second house and his Porsche Carrera.[4]

>In April 2013 Bosman was given a prison sentence suspended for one year following an assault on both his girlfriend and her daughter allegedly over his then girlfriend's refusal to give him an alcoholic drink in 2011.[5]

>As of 2015, Bosman was unemployed and relying on handouts from FifPro.

Attached: bosman.png (404x404, 17K)

>unemployed and relying on handouts
>b*Lgian
fucking deserved it

80's

the age of rooney

backpass rule was the only good thing that came out that year

Based retard

the man who ruined football

Attached: jean-marc-bosman-34ba79d9-36c0-46ae-a834-aec8d3de525-resize-750.jpg (750x500, 41K)

1994 WC.
Change my mind

>BOSSMAN

he started the BOSS era

I always thought it was our Bosman that did it. Thank god it's some Belgian, who tier player

This guy is accurate

but Croatian team are one of the best in the world

Looks like the lovechild of Karl Pilkington and Tony Soprano

He could be the BOSS of MANchester

I mean that with those laws many of the very large number of great Croatian players would have to play for a team of their country, and Dinamo Zagreb would be much better.

2002 and Bosman law in '96. (?)

Arrigo Sacchi changed the rules forever because of this in the late 80's to early 90's.

A lot of great takes ITT, most of the stuff written here is true and part of the answer. It didn't happen overnight but as a consequence of a series of events.

Both, specially Arsenal.

No, that, was Van Basten.

Biggest one has to be the Bosman ruling combined with the end of max number of foreign players rules. The premier league jumped on it bigger than anyone else, which they probably wouldn't have done without the events of 1992.
So blame Jean Marc Bosman, the EU and the big 5 of 1992.

Why is it always Belgians who ruin everything?

Too many events that have had an impact, too many players and coaches that have gradually implemented new techniques, you can't pin it to any one time or moment.

Traditionally it was considered that post-war records are distinct from pre-war records, but almost 75 years later this doesn't really apply any more.

Inverting the Pyramid is one of the best histories of football, I'd recommend all genuine football fans to read it and understand more about this topic. If you go back far enough you can find innovations like the introduction of the offside rule, the invention of passing, the development of formations.

If I were truly pressed to pick one moment, I'd say 25/11/1953, Hungary humbled England 6-3 at Wembley, and thus completely changed the way the home nation looked at football. Prior to this England had been reluctant to adopt revolutionary tactics, but this time they took them on board, ultimately leading to a World Cup win 13 years later. In this moment the rubicon was crossed, cultural footballing assimilation became the norm and football started to become a truly global game.

No one gives a fuck about England m8

Like it or not, changes in England, and how changes elsewhere impacted England, have always been at the core of how the game has moved forwards. Kind of amusing for someone from fucking Chile to talk about countries that people care about though.

Yeah, definitely this

>shitaly
Come back to me when your country isn't run by the mafia.

When USA started to play

No one gives a fuck about your claim of the Falklands m8

Oh shut the fuck up, pre 1966? Fuck off with your potato farmers and no offside shit show

I’d much rather watch today’s talent

>no offside
This is why no one takes Americans seriously when they try to talk about real sports.

VAR is fucking this sport up

Dickhead, wasn’t the shit played with no offside ruling before the 90’s?

This. Football evolution is mainly a coaches/managers playground. The guy who once coached Benfica to win the CL is one of the most influential coaches in football. Herrera once coach a pass heavy Spanish side before he discovered Catenaccio.

Offside has literally existed in some form for the entire history of the sport and in almost exactly its current form for nearly a full century.

Alright, not sure if you’re the same user I was originally replying to but, alright never mind that part then

Still rather watch today’s talent than fucking potato farmers pre 1966

1862 or whenever the rules were written down for association football (soccer)

Good question. The forward pass was started in the early 1900s, and OLinemen were ineligible as received beginning in the 50s. Those would probably be two important periods for what's considered "modern".
On the pro side, the Super Bowl era starts in 1966, and the merger happened in 1970 so either of those dates is typically used too define the modern NFL

Based Ireland

Backpass rule 1992

That's why Liverpools league titles dont count.

When Sky Sports and cable TV was created

Attached: crystanbul.jpg (599x342, 32K)