/sqt/: stupid question thread

ask basic questions here about sports/leagues which you don't follow or understand. helpful anons will answer. any questions too small and stupid for their own thread, post here

Attached: N_Vs09bt.jpg (453x453, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-vje0QMSRqY
youtube.com/watch?v=U2cmMUrwRKs
youtube.com/watch?v=6ZKSywmobMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XRstXQmXUgc
youtube.com/watch?v=n7NmaA79CHg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how do F1 points work?

Attached: 1532991164425.png (645x729, 75K)

How is test cricket different than regular cricket?

Attached: f95.png (600x1067, 1009K)

Who's still playing that played in the 2002 WC? Joaquin, Cole, Ibrahimovic, Cissé and...?

El loco abreu

Buffon

What the fuck

Attached: IMG_20190823_013402.jpg (720x202, 25K)

There is no "regular" cricket, there are 3 versions of it:

>test
oldest form of cricket, played over 5 days, teams play in all white

>ODI
played in a day, matches last like 5 hours or so, each team wears their colors, played up to 50 overs

>T20
shortened format, matches last 2.5-3 hrs, maximum of 20 overs, faster pace, flashy kit colors and created for newer audiences with shorter attention spans

The main difference is the number of innings; 2 each in test, 1 each in odi/T20, and the length of the match. In test it's anything goes over 5 days, in one day it's limited by overs (i.e. groups of 6 balls). There are also more fielding and bowling restrictions in one day to encourage hitting.

how do soccer players not break there toe when kicking the ball so far?

what does >tf >tp mean

why don't soccer players just aim at the opponents hands and win through massive handball cuckery

well, his nickname is literally "the madman"

because it doesn't count, the only situation where all hand balls get called is when it's on the attacking team and only in a goal, just since the last rules change this year

in field hockey it's like you say and they do aim to the feet

>That flag
>That post

Is a horse an athlete?

Belozoglu and Enyeama
They don't kick it with that part of the foot my dude, plus they wear socks and shoes

they don't kick it with their toes. the main point of impact is above them.

Attached: kickball.jpg (1280x720, 171K)

yes

Attached: athlete.jpg (299x267, 87K)

What needs to change in the US so that it is always in the conversation for a world cup

where is pee stored?

>team fortress
>toilet paper

More like how do beach soccer players don't break their foot/toes when playing? I've played in the beach and my foot gets all red and it hurts. How do they do it bros? Are the balls lightier?

In empty 2 liter bottles.

european style academies need to be introduced en masse instead of relying on the current high school and collegiate system

Why do asexual people think people who have gfs are privileged

I don't know what it's changed to but it used to be this:
1st 10
2nd 6
3rd 5
4th 3
5th 2
6th 1

They changed it so the top ten gets points and I think first gets 25 now.
The constructers championship is just each driver for each team added together.

USSF needs to be dissolved and its board thrown in jail

He pulled this rubber skull mask out of his shorts and donned it to celebrate scoring a goal back in his Cruz Azul days.

Attached: LOCO Calavera.png (919x969, 1.05M)

the mls has to get rid of the draft, also having relegations and promotions would help, so you have more than just 20-30 pro teams in the whole country, int he rest of the world even 50k people towns have professional teams with youth academies

see Messi as an example, he was bought by Barcelona when he was 12 years old, in your country players have to play overseas like Pulisic to play for some decent (pro) team before being 18

Join comebol

ive wondered that too. my guess is, that they are just more careful and have adjusted their technique to avoid smashing their toes. More scooping and lifting the ball instead of your standard strikes.

Is boxing rigged?

really? i think they're trapped

How does one become a NASCAR driver? With other sports most athletes have been training their whole lives but for NASCAR and I guess other racing sports you can only start training when you're over sixteen.

Do they just race around go-kart tracks to train or something?

This and the boots help protect your foot

Nothing, Just have to wait 8 years.

mate, you don't watch american football? punters don't kick with the toe kek

I would love to see this happen in the US soccer system also as an experiment to see which way is the better way, closed franchise system or open merit system.

lmao i never thought about this

What's the difference between rugby league and rugby union?

pay to play, many great talents get unnoticed because of how the system is implemented. I believe you're in the right track though.

they use mikasa balls

why the distance jumping competition from the olympics is this weird triple jump thing instead of just running and then jumping normaly?

in lewis hamilton's interview at letterman's tv show he explains his whole career from go kart when he was like 6 eyars old to signing for the formula 1

very good interview, if you are interested about that topic you should watch it

>Do they just race around go-kart tracks to train or something?
basically this
their parents have to enroll them in a place like this so they practice every week
youtube.com/watch?v=-vje0QMSRqY

in rugby league a team gets six tackles to try and score before handing the ball to the other team. this means quite often kicking up field on the sixth tackle. in union you can keep recycling the ball. the rules are different but its mostly the same game.

there are both, the long jump (one jump) and the triple jump (hop skip and jump)

Rugby League has reduced play book basically. League is all set up to restart the game straight into open play whereas Union has a lot of set plays like contested scrums, contested line outs, rucks and mauls. Rugby League is only really popular in Northern England and Australia, Union is popular everywhere else.

youtube.com/watch?v=U2cmMUrwRKs

Attached: Yorkshire.jpg (1280x800, 150K)

they have normal jump too
variety, i guess

How do they not jam there ankle that’s a pretty unnatural way to kick

How do I prove that global warming exists?

alright, fair enough
what's the point of the triple jump, though? why not make a category for double or even get crazy and make a quintuple jump?

look at temperature statistics for the last few decades. there's no debate that the earth is getting warmer, only about what is causing it. and that's a horribly complex physical problem. perhaps you could these assholes, though:

who knows, they just might do that one day. they put fucking powerwalking in as an olympic sport at one point.

>Historical sources on the ancient Olympic Games occasionally mention jumps of 15 meters or more. This led sports historians to conclude that these must have been a series of jumps, thus providing the basis for the triple jump.[2] However, there is no evidence for the triple jump being included in the ancient Olympic Games, and it is possible that the recorded extraordinary distances are due to artistic license of the authors of victory poems, rather than attempts to report accurate results.[3]

wew, it's a sport literally made up by a bunch of nerds who were probably spitballing on how the greek gods managed to jump so far

Respect the death march you cunt

Why don't people care about the FA cup anymore, it used to be great deal, or is it still is but isn't hyped by the media?

they can keep women's
youtube.com/watch?v=6ZKSywmobMQ

>Why do asexual people
they're just depressed. humans cant be asexual

Why aren't lateral passes used more in the NFL, even as trick plays?

>Cole
he just retired

Attached: horse.jpg (950x530, 373K)

too risky. huge chance to fumble and a guaranteed loss if the other team doesn't fall for it.

When and why was the Major League Baseball schedule set at 154 games? How did they come up with that number?
>inb4 it's now 162

>Why don't people care about the FA cup anymore
you get more money finishing bottom of the PL. Plus big teams focus on Europe and only give a fuck one they're in the semi finals

Was Babe Ruth actually great or just played against shitters?

Why does /hoc/ keep making fun of the >rags

They do. It is an important trophy. The issue is most teams do not risk winning it over finishing Top 4. Which is why a double (Title + FA Cup) is a big achievement. Originally people would be happy to win it because 1-3 place was automatic and 4th was qualification. But when 4th became auto-quality, people cared more about finishing in Top 4 and getting the £20m qualification money and then the money for each win and so on in the group stage than go for it.

Also because the premier league has become way more competitive with a Top 6 now rather than Top 4, the media will focus on the league than the FA Cup. Winning it is a big deal still but the league is just more interesting.

seconding this. Is he the GOAT of boreball?

As it's already been pointed out, the toes are mostly unused. I'm here just for a bit of trivia though. As someone who was absolutely retarded as a kid and couldn't learn the proper technique despite all the efforts by my dad, I developed my own technique. It only works barefoot; if you have boots on it'll turn into a weak shot with no direction. If you do it right it's more explosive than any form of shooting though and it's easy to add a lot of curve to it... for me, at least. Anyway, I was going to explain it in detail but I realized I'm unable to do it while keeping it short so Imma leave you all thinking this is some low effort bait.

Basically, rather than hitting with your toes you "contract" your foot up to expose the highlighted part in the pic and hit the ball using all of that area at once. If you try to do this while your foot is relaxed it's probably not going to end well.

Attached: autism.jpg (700x420, 29K)

How does one get into American Football before the inevitable UK Franchise team? I've tried desperately to learn the rules and get into it but it is sadly one of those games which seems to have a massive learning curve after the basics (which I forget constantly). NFL games are just gonna be played here more and more and I expect a franchise in the next 25 years.

league and union were both the same code until 1895 when there was a whole bunch of clubs split away from the rugby union and formed what was then called the northern union and later became known as rugby league.
The original reason for the split was that rugby league clubs wanted to abandon amateurism for reasons.
Rugby League started later in Australia in 1908 and in New Zealand around the same time.
The rules of rugby league were changed little by little over the years in an attempt to make the game more appealing to spectators, something which rugby union has also been doing since adopting professionalism itself in 1995.

so the London team will be in a league based in another continent?

yes, the horse and jockey are like teammates

Yeah. NFL teams currently play games over here every year and MORE will be playing due to Spurs new stadium having a 10 year contract to host NFL games on top of Wembley doing it. So a large portion of NFL games will be played over here. Adding a British based team isn't going to change much.

Undeniably good but you have to take statistics from that era with a grain of salt. During that time period a lot of defensive tactics hadn’t really been ironed out yet and perhaps more importantly pitching before the modern era was pretty shoddy which made things even easier for hitters who were talented, ted williams batting over .400 for example would be insane nowadays.
tl;dr yeah he was good but he’d probably get torn apart by modern pitching

Bro literally just watch games. Start by watching the games of the team you like the most and then watch the highest profile games that weekend. You'll get the hang of it naturally.

Try not paying much attention to the commentators at first, since that will only confuse you if you don't know much about the players/stats/plays.
Just remember that it's basically about 11 dudes trying to advance at least 10 yards and they have 4 opportunities to do so, until they march down the field and get the football inside the end zone. But they have another 11 negroes trying to stop them from advancing, and if they do stop them, they switch possesions and now the team that was defending attacks.

Attached: steelersrule.jpg (1430x907, 188K)

So, it's basically Rugby League but with fewer opportunities to get down the field? I mean, I like the idea of it, much like i enjoy Rugby. But I prefer Union to League. I had always wanted to get into New England for the obvious name as it was as close to a UK team as possible. But if they added a England based team for NFL, I'd support them whatever.

I watch it when it's on the TV over here, they show the Superbowl and do highlights for the games too.

How does offsides work in soccer? I’m a brainlet

You can’t be beyond the last defender and receive a pass

In order to be onside you either need to be behind the ball or have atleast 2 defending players (this can include the goalkeeper) between you and the goal. However you can be offside all you want it only awards a free kick if you attempt to play the ball from an offside position. For example you can’t recieve a pass from an offside position, or if there’s a shot taken and the ball is spilled by the keeper you can’t play the ball if you were offside when the shot was initially taken.

Yeh it is kinda like rugby but as you said, they have fewer opportunities to go downfield, 10 yards at a time (more if they are penalized, less if the defense commits a penalty).
The Patriots are good, but it's odd you'd pick them for their name since they are basically named after the faction that seceded from Britain. Get into the history of any team you like, pretty much all of them have their own lore and great players, even small or historically shit teams like the Browns or the Titans (when they were the Oilers) or anyone really. I support the Steelers and we have a pretty rich history and badass colors and fans.

For streams, unironically go to redd*t. /nflstreams

Attached: _41660328_offside_rule_416x300.gif (416x232, 21K)

I take it you missed the Champions League final this year?

Oh I know they're named like that, but the term 'New England' is a thing that still makes me smile. Just the name, my dude. As for the games, I do watch as much as I can. I can't bring myself to watch streams, sadly. I'll look into the other teams one day. I feel it bad to support any team as I don't really have any connection to any of them. So it's why a (proper) American Football team would be neat over here. As it is, they're just meme teams. We have an international American Football team but it is obviously not very good.

Even fags who watch it don't know and they don't care they only worship the drivers as also don't care about cars bc they already know the best car will win the competition. Plus it's a snoozefest

Attached: ECHdHmxWsAM6BYq.jpg (702x437, 28K)

He must be playing for his childhood neighborhood team lmao

Attached: 1562167373788.jpg (727x583, 134K)

such a shit final, because of that early pen

The balls are lighter don't know how much they weigh though

Meant for

I don't understand how the Cowboys and Dolphins are so far from their counterparts while the other teams are closer or have more equal distance among themselves in their respective divisions.

Why isn't there a team for Alaska in any of the major american sports leagues?

it's cold as fuck and has a small population.
basically zero commercial potential compared to the lower 48, especially when you factor in the additional travelling expenses.

Why was the 2nd ashes test a draw when England scored more runs than Aus?

Muh rivalries

One for you what's the dividing factor of who the fuck roots for nrl/afl? seems like you either like one and hate the other and I don't understand why

I'll clarify muh rivalries. The NFL realigned divisions in 2002. Prior to that it was a nonsensical clusterfuck, but since the cowboys and to a lesser extent dolphins were bluebloods it was considered blasphemy to move them

Why does Cricket BAN players from simultaniously playing another sport? Yes it's impractical but no other sport has this rule.

thanks guys

Thanks. Can you also explain why US implemented a college system rather than youth academies?

If I had to guess it probably started off as a joke. Some guy told another that he'll give him 3 jumps and still jump farther with 1 jump. Then people started doing hop, skip and jumps.

I thought they already had promotion/relegation. Or do they just get a ton of expansion teams every year

It’s still a nonsensical clusterfuck to me. Muh rivals don’t have to be in the same division

Why are there so few professional American Football teams? I keep hearing people say their nearest teams are like 3 hours away, why don't people set up more clubs to avoid this?

get black people to move to suburbs that have soccer fields instead of shitty inner city bball courts

not gonna happen in our lifetime

would never work soccer isn't popular enough.

why are americans so fat

Based

because there was no result; australia just ran out of time to chase and england ran out of time to take wickets

college football was implemented and popular far before professional was. nfl was created 50 years after college football and probably wasn't more popular until the 1960s. So even though pro is more popular now college sports is deeply entrenched in our culture and still more popular in vast regions to ever change

i didn't know they did
isn't there that aussie lass who plays for both the cricket and football(soccer) national teams?

how does scoring in cricket worked?

Attached: 1507026419154.jpg (247x154, 5K)

you get one run for running between the wickets and additional runs for running between the wickets multiple times
you get four runs for hitting the ball to the boundary (with it hitting the ground before hitting the boundary)
you get six runs for hitting the ball to the boundary without it hitting the ground

you also get a bonus run if the bowler bowls a "wide" (what it sounds like, where the ball is bowled too far away from the batsman) or a "no ball" (if the bowler has his feet too far forward when bowling)

is it true that the only 3 days without big pro sports in usa (nhl, nba, nfl, mlb) are the day before and 2 days after the mls all star game?
i tried googling it, but no definitive answer came up

*mlb all star game
also my question is for any giver year, meaning that EVERY year those three days are the only ones

Why the fuck do Rugby players act like the Smash bros community

1st 25 points
2nd 18 points
3rd 15 points
4th 12 points
5th 10 points
6th 8 points
7th 6 points
8th 4 points
9th 2 points
10th 1 point
+1 point for fastest lap clocked during race.
Driver's championship is driver's personal points and constructors' championship is team's drivers added together.

It's the other way around and artistic license.

t. Rugbyman

You play each division rivals twice a year. If you take them out then you don't play anywhere near as much.

>lax regulation on quality of food
>widely available, cheap shit-tier food and drinks packed with sugar
>billions spent to market shit-tier food
>combine these with shit-tier education, masses cannot discern value of high vs low quality food
>sedentary life style, lack of exercise
>distances are much larger on average compared to europe, it's hard to get anywhere without a car in most places, so people don't even walk the bare minimum
this is my observation as a european that has lived here for some time

thanks finnbro. I was wondering where that extra point was randomly coming from.

Attached: 1504164897609.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

Because there are already 32 teams which is about he size of most sports leagues around the world. Not to mention that the teams only play 16 games because any more will increase injuries beyond an acceptable limit.
Also, America sports are run exclusively as franchises rather than clubs and owners have the final say in all decisions. Therefore, more teams=more competition for fans=less money for your team=veto expansion teams.

I think its because they had a balanced schedule in those days. 8 teams in each league, so you play the other 7 teams 22 times each and that's 154 games.
How they got 162 I have no idea, but they made the season longer bc there were more teams

when a batter hits the ball they have to run to the other side of the rectangle they're on. Everytime they run on length it's 1 "run" which is a point. They can do this as much as they want until they stop or get knocked out by the other team. If they hit the ball and it rolls out of the fields boundaries it's 4 runs. If it flys OVER the boundaries than it's 6 runs (basically like a home run)

Muricans, why did players not start doing one-and-done to get to the NBA faster until the 2000s. Guys like MJ or Tim Duncan could have finished a rookie season and get drafted in the first round and get paid but instead stuck around for another few years

Oh, simple as. Cheers lad.

Do they still have that rule that the fastest lap point can only go to someone who's in the top 8 or whatever so that it never leads to anything interesting happening?

what country has the best league or system for producing talent in soccer?

Allow more than 20-ish teams. Create local leagues, state championships and federations. Also get rid of all that bullshit of no relegation and draft.

Kids start really small, like 6-7ish years old, usually in go-karting (best age to develop spatial awareness required for racing). Then they climb up to more powerful machines with manual transmission and then when they are about 11-12ish they get into those single-seater leagues with low (about 180km/h) speeds. After this is a mix of career management and track results.

Of course that paying for all the track usage and machinery takes a shitload of money so it's basically for richfags or if the kid has like supernatural driving skills that could generate revenue.

In this sentence
>Best of the premier league la
What is the meaning of "la"?

la is short for lad, la

Thanks, la!

Every good football nation has a well structured youth system covering U-11, U-13, U-15, U-17 and U-21 leagues nationwide. Every top tier team for those countries have some or all of those teams and the players who stand out will naturally progress at least to the training squad of the Pro team.

In Brazil, there are also some football schools that are associated with teams. If a kid goes from shit to non-shit, someone will notice and invite him for tryouts and may get a "contract" in one of those U-something teams.

it's a scouseism for "lad"
other scouseisms include "the asda" rather than asda and "boss tha" rather than "that's boss"

Which country in Europe are the following sports the most popular:
>NFL
>Basketball
>Baseball
>Hockey
>Tennis

it's singaporean for "this is the end of the sentence"

Most of the drivers coming up now have been karting/driving quarter midgets since they could talk

>NFL
Closest is the UK
>Basketball
Lithuania
>Baseball
Closest is the Netherlands
>Hockey
Finland
>Tennis
Closest is Germany/Romania

Literally this. Lived in the american southeast my whole life and its too inconvenient and expensive to not eat poorly. They dont teach us proper nutrition. Im not fat but I'm getting old enough that my metabolism is slowing down and its starting to catch up to me. Pretty fucked up when you think about it

this thread is based, we should always have one of these

id believe it. Just the NHL and MLB overlap each others regular seasons and both spirts other then allstar breaks play everyday.
MLB starts late march and playoffs end late October.
NHL Starts Beginning of October and playoffs end early June.
When the NHL is off for Xmas then the all star break the NBA s playing.

>most college stars come from poor background
>the guaranteed money is too good to pass up
>everyone thinks their a star now
>no money to be made in college

It's a mixture of all that. It use to be that players stayed in college to hone the fundamentals and win championships. Now that doesn't mean much to the players anymore.

yes

What would happen if there was no offsides rule in soccer?

What would happen if there was a backcourt violation in soccer?

It would cease to be soccer and become some awful shit nobody would watch.

It would probably be frustrating for defenses

what is a back court violation? sorry i'm stupid

Whats the appeal of college football? How do the University kids draw such large crowds including people who have never attended those unis?

what are some other athletes like lana rhoades?

I'm not going to be one of those fags that tell other people how to make their sport better and still not watch it but I think soccer would be better off with with something like a backcourt/field violation in basketball. it curtails sandbagging without changing without really shitting on the structure of the game

ok i googled it, i don't actually think this would be bad for soccer

1. Games are on Saturdays
2. It's largely tradition
3. It's not just current students, but alumni and local people as well.

Don't think of it in terms of college games. It's simply a football match on a Saturday in the fall. A very substantial amount of people are there just for the scene, they don't give a fuck about the game.

why isn't mexico better at soccer? given their country's size and interest in the sport, they should have one of the best NTs. even if it's on the FA there's still countries like brazil/argentina who produce great players despite having FAs which are often berated for being corrupt/incompetent. I realize this reads like a dig but I'm genuinely curious what would be holding them back.

The culture is a lot of fun to get involved in. I went to a uni when their football program was really peaking, it's left me with some fantastic memories

I would want to say shit infrastructure but south american countries suffer from that and still put together amazing teams

In simple terms, they've never had a world class player. They also struggle with managers. They've had 12 managers in the last 20 years.

Why am I so turned on by this drawing, Yea Forums

Attached: 1499210467891.png (304x593, 312K)

It would. Having a backcourt violation (where once the ball crosses the centre line it cannot be played back) would lead to:
- defenders either sitting behind the line out of play unable to receive a pass, or stepping beyond the line and leaving their entire half of the pitch exposed
- the first option would lead to less passing options for the attacking team, therefore sloppier play as the team in possession would have to go at least 9v11. Teams would lose possession far more regularly.
- the second option would lead to a strategy where the defending team would place a fast guy right on the centre to leak out which makes football just a footrace

This wouldn't help football at all. Counter-attacking is still a viable option without being forced to speed up. A backcourt violation probably wouldn't result in more goals. The attitude of holding onto possession without looking for goals is irrelevant. If a team is only 1 goal ahead, they'll probably want more goals. If they're 3 ahead going into the end of the match, they're probably going to win anyway. The difficulty of maintaining possession in football is unlike basketball in the 40s where this rule was enforced, where you could throw it endlessly between yourselves, then wrap the ball up if you're pressured. It takes skill to be able to maintain possession for an extended period of time in football. This therefore makes retaining possession an admirable strategy.

fair enough points you're the expert nigger

Winning the FA cup should give a Champions League place

i understand that most up here that i deal with are shitty southern mexican indios but holy crap they have no athleticism. I fuck around with them in a sunday league and have never played soccer competively outside of school gym class so have zero technical ability with my legs and just end up pacey niggering their asses up and down the field and im a 33yo smoker

Historical. In the 19th century, there were many multidisciplinary athletes, as the skill-barrier to entry was still low and athleticism was king. C.B. Fry might be the most famous example as primarily a cricketer who broke the world record for long jump, while playing football for Corinthian and later for England, plus some university-level rugby. Cricket is the gentlemen's game, in the other games you can get hurt. So cricket had to prevent its best athletes going off and breaking their legs. Simple as.

Attached: CB_Fry_batting.jpg (390x790, 94K)

A lot of shit talking, drinking and barbecuing involved too.

Why do NFL teams only play 18 games a season and baseball teams 300+?

Any updates on the true geordie situation?

Baseball isn't as hard on the players as the NFL is. The only guys that really get injured are the pitchers (have a lot of spares) and the outfielders when they run into the Big Green Monster.

nope, but the silence speaks volumes

on a per game basis baseball is pretty luck intensive so 16 or even ~40 like soccer is a terrible indicator of who's good and not.

nfl only plays 16 because the injury rate per game in some positions is 5% so playing ~40 like soccer would be a death sentence to a lot of players

Is mlels unironically more well known/popular in europe than NFL/MLB/NBA?

MLS?
No.
Maybe in 10 years if it continues to expand in number of teams and gets some decent ad buys. Otherwise no network is going to carry it.

A burger doesn’t know what a backcourt violation is. Lol

Because all of their best swimmers, climbers, and sprinters are already over in the us.

Seems like a dumb rule to keep around honestly

How do they see the puck?

60+ inch OLED with contrast and sharpness maximized watching a Canadian 4k broadcast while standing less than a meter away

should I move to LA? northern california

Tu madre

Why do you need to find out who's best? Can't you just be lucky? Where's the excitement in a 4000 game season? What's the point?

watching on TV is boring af, but live it's super comfy to go see a game. lots of games means you can pretty much go whenever and ticket prices for decent seats aren't bad at all. basically, the demand is there and the players can handle it.

kek

Baseball looks like cricket over here. Show up,, nice weather, get drunk and there just happens to be a boring sport in the background.

Comfy af

How do get gf

Attached: 1554546382790.gif (533x526, 1.53M)

Bee yourself

Play sports.

Nobody follows the mls here but at the very least it's football. That makes it 100% more popular than nfl and mlb.

Nba is definitely more well known though, since basketball is more of a global game

I'm a LB right footed, I'm not bad defensively but I prefer joining the attack and going for goal, should I just switch and play as a LW?

Attached: 44.png (205x246, 4K)

Why not become an overlapping RB?

More like a cup winners’ cup place

start crossing with the outside of your right foot quaresma-style, or cut inside

I tried that but I feel more comfortable on the left side also it's getting harder for me to go back and defend and the shitters I play with aren't helping
That would be easier if I play as a winger that's why I'm asking

Nope everyone is unironically that incompetent

It's basically a replacement for religion. After the civil war institutions of higher education moved away from sanctioning religious services and having everyone attend those, but administrators still wanted a university event that brought the entire campus together

Basically don't think of college football as a league trying to be competitive with say the NFL. Try to see it as a cultural event/worship service that happens every week, with all the pageantry and tradition and formality that goes with it
College football is perhaps the hardest sport for a casual or someone who didn't go to a P5 college to understand, because a huge amount of people that go to it and celebrate it might not understand the sport or even really like sports in general. They like the atmosphere and they like the community

this is a perfect explanation.
as a foreigner living here, I could never wrap my head around what makes it so popular, especially in the south. It's just a tradition that you need to have been born into and grown up with, not so much the actual sporting aspect. The closest thing in Europe would be supporting a local team in lower divisions.

In baseball, does a fielder have to use his skillful hand to catch the ball with the glove or his skillful hand is it reserved for throwing the ball to the bases?

The hand you write with is usually your throwing hand, while your non-dominant hand is your glove hand.

The guys who are fast enough to see it get scouted to the NHL. The fans just watch the players move

>What would happen if there was no offsides rule in soccer?
You would have players at all edges of the field and your striker would never leave the 18 yard box. The whole game will be played by midfielders from start to finish who would all become pacebabies trying to get the ball to the strikers fast enough. everyone except strikers would defend. everyone except centre backs will attack. full backs will be turned into extra pair of midfielders. would unironically become more interesting.
>What would happen if there was a backcourt violation in soccer?
would either make or break the game. teams will just take their whole starting eleven to defense and wait for the opponents to bring it into their halves and will just hound them. it would be the end of short passing football.

You mix both together? and you have high tempo/scoring short games where there would have to be a break every 15 minutes. which i'm sure would interest you fat Americans with your limited attention span. explains all your sports

There is no “forming your own club” the teams are franchises that a prospective owner petitions for permission to have in a certain area . Size of the market and proximity to other teams is a major determinant of whether the expansions are formed allowing the league to maximize profits which it scrapes off the top leaving the teams to pay the majority of their squads peanuts. This why there will never be any major derbies outside of LA and el plastico and why flyover states are pretty much eternally fucked.

When Wigan won the FA cup a few years back I recall their owner saying how they’d rather lose the cup and stay in the Prem than win it and be relegated. Money is just too massive in the Prem as opposed to the cup

This is true.

Try hs football in Texas next. Cheap and comfy

what determines which academy a kid plays in? is it payments to parents? scouts? a combination of the two?

You get it man. I always wanted to see if someone else understood what combining both would do.

Can some people actually not see the puck? It's black, and the ice is white

Well, here in Argentina we live for soccer, 80%+ people likes soccer. You can play in the streets, with your friends, and we growth loving the sport. It's free, you can get friends, like baseball in US, or Rugby in New Zealand. Brazilians go beyond that, they love to play with weirds street skills, they can play in team but prefer to do tricks and humilliate (called jogo bonito). Mexicans don't love soccer like us, they don't have interest.

Why don't some people just have sex?

why doesn't soccer adopt hockey substitutions and power plays? also, stop the clock

Mexicans are too fat. I live in America and the joke is that we are fat but each time I go to Mexico all the locals are obese manlets. Sometimes I make them speak English lol

Mls and its jews to fuck off from US Soccer

genetically dealt a bad hand and they don't want to put in the extra effort needed to make up for it

If they stop the clock, the game is going to be like 5 hours long.

shut up bitch

If I may, I'll explain

In football - the real football that's aptly named for playing with a ball at your feet - the passage of time is a philosophical concept that elucidates meaning into the beautiful game. Football fans feel interconnected with the realities of the universe around us: we are aware of the laws of nature that govern our world and our interactions. We do not shy away from recognizing that time - as described by the mathematical laws of entropy, thermodynamics and Einsteinian physics - is relative and yet constant and unforgiving; ever moving onwards into the future like a current that carries material in one direction. As football fans and intellectuals, we apply time to our sport in the same way that a physicist does when he uses Minkowski spacetime diagrams - time must continue moving forward throughout the match and nothing, not even the dives of a clever Brazilian or the chimp outs of a French muslim can interfere with time. This gives a deeper, richer significance to our game and the fans learn to live with it; just as mother nature intended for it.

This is beyond the understanding of the simple-minded American where time is desecrated and forcibly made to fit into your "sports" in an unnatural manner. You lot let your masters decide everything for you - when to clap; when to watch commercials; when to kneel; when to get shot - so I'm hardly surprised this is a difficult subject for an American peon such as yourself to understand. I'm afraid you were simply born with too few brain cells to fully comprehend the richness of time and football.

Attached: 1521699758168.jpg (1420x946, 57K)

some people are just shy

tl;dr

Attached: italian_chef_mascot-01.png (400x300, 30K)

In basketball, what is the travel fault? I've never understood how it works, seems very subjective for me

based

It's basically taking two steps with both of your feet (you can still rotate with one foot as the axis) without dribbling the ball, it's a bit hard to enforce because of the pace of the game, some officials have a bit more leniency when they are driving the ball to the basket. Unless it's egregious, or if they jump without shooting, travels are rarely called.

I still say 'the asda' from living in liverpool years ago and I'm not even from the north west

>What would happen if there was no offsides rule in soccer?

Attached: football-if-no-offsides.jpg (332x514, 24K)

> On 26 April 2019, Abreu was announced as the interim manager of Santa Tecla on an initial one-and-a-half month spell, with the parties holding the option open of keeping him as a player-coach or just as a player afterwards. He won the Copa El Salvador four days later, defeating C.D. Audaz 1–0 in the final.

Based

Coupled with a back court violation...

Then what?

Traveling isn't even called in the NBA anymore.

Does a player have the option to refuse to be drafted by a particular team? Also how do wages work for drafted players? Are all the players paid the same?

Why do Americans call their teams franchises? McDonalds and KFC are franchises, not sports teams

I know in the NFL they would have to sit out that year and then enter the draft again next year. Sometimes the player is good at two sports and can just say he will play the other sport instead if the team that drafted him.

>McDonalds and KFC are franchises, not sports teams
>he doesn't support Kentucky FC as his MLS team

m8 your "clubs" are bigger and more corporate than our "franchises"...

because that's legally and literally what they are. they have territorial rights and new ones only get in by vote of existing members and paying an entrance fee. that's what a business franchise is. calling them clubs is both inaccurate and sort of like saying >we and >us talking about them in any way and saying team comes off a little childish in certain circumstances

The league is the entity. The teams are just the installments. Functionally though, it doesn't actually make much difference. The teams still have owners and general managers who make decisions on their own. It's more about what the teams can't do than what they can. Teams can't just fuck off and go play in a different league, or just pop up and enter the league without first becoming a franchise. Relocations must be first approved by the league itself as well.

How do I understand cricket?

Attached: 1565393392259.png (225x160, 41K)

Objectively wrong.
The NFL is bigger than the Top 5 soccer leagues together

Attached: 1500978083944.png (1280x738, 1.03M)

second this
is there any way to briefly explain the gist of it?

'it ball wiv bat

baseball with two bases that are always loaded and the batters get infinite strikes until they're tagged out or caught

test cricket is actually good

legit did not know this was even a thing. we have people here who've played afl and cricket

How do Americans accept teams moving to another city/state? How are the teams not linked to their city? If a team moves home ground then aren't the the place they left mad at them and don't the people they moved into view them as opportunistic?

It just seems baffling to me that they don't get enough backlash to it. I could never imagine a team here moving, especially as the name of the city is often in the team name.

Is korfball really a thing in Europe?

manchester united is a bigger franchise than 31 nfl teams my guy

what is the cricket version of a ball (in the balls/strikes sense) called? like if the bowler throws the ball and it misses everything entirely.

Nothing really, it's just a miss. You don't have a limit on how many balls you can face.

It doesn’t happen often, but the instances that it has happened have been due to a city not giving good attendance or just pure greed.

If cities are going to buy a stadium for a team, they ought to buy the team as well.

The fuck is a line in hockey?

But didn't those teams originate from a certain city? Isn't a big part of their identity linked to that?

no. never actually met a person who knows what it is except for me
no. every sport and team in america is just artificially manufactured

It isn't

1. you've got two lines drawn on the ice for offside
2. team is split into 4 attacking lines and 3 defensive lines o players that change in groups and work together.

Usually it's a right to have a team that gets moved. If the team doesn't suit the new place, then it all gets rebranded and wiped clean.

See: the Browns moving from Cleveland in the 90s and becoming the Baltimore Ravens

aside from the nfl most of the leagues dont really relocate teams unless it is an absolute dire financial situation. most of the teams that get relocated are usually on the verge of bankruptcy and the league cant find a new local owner so they just have to accept a relocation. i mean it sucks for the people of the town, but the only other option is basically to fold the team.

It's pretty rare that it happens. Maybe once every 10 years, a team owner will decide to do it.

I think Jacksonville will move to London next.

The team represents your city, no loyalty for that compared to moving the entire operation to somewhere else? It's just a very alien concept to me. I understand individual players moving about constantly but teams just uprooting for money is so weird.

In Europe, most teams exist from a couple of lads kicking a ball around and making a club out of it

In the US, teams are just brands and entertainment

Once every 10 years is still too often to me, but that's just my view coming from a place where it's never happened to my knowledge. The only modern example I can think of is that Wimbledon/ MK Dons thing in England and that caused so much outrage the fans abandoned the team, they had to use the abbreviated MK on their new name and the FA got involved I think.

>In the US, teams are just brands and entertainment
It's just sad to see it like that. I guess it works out for you though.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Attached: 765px-Cricket_fielding_positions2.svg.png (765x1024, 235K)

lots of football clubs that have financial issues just end up falling down into a lower league and continue operating. thats not really a thing in north america because there isnt pro/rel.

That's because every city has a club over there. There's only 32 teams in the NFL to cover all of USA.

The mexican aubemeyang

Merge concacaf and conmebol tbs

Every town and every village has a team. Our football system has 24 tiers.

Earlier today the BBC showed a game between two 9th tier teams in front of about 200 people as part of FA Cup qualifying, it was class.

Attached: 5659396466_157c724af0_b.jpg (1024x681, 277K)

Why are so many big clubs in Argentina in Buenos Aires? I have a vague idea that there's corruption at work there

Attached: 1446068933543.jpg (400x386, 37K)

Why didn't more teams develop? People like the sport, a lot of people play it.

Why is Zidane such a fraud?

Because dude cross the ball lmao

cuz hes bauld

I played this once at school. A friend of my P.E. teacher once did an exchange season in the Netherlands and learned it.

Their national sport is boxing

College teams make them unnecessary. Every medium size or bigger University in the US has a football team.

fucking based everytime I read about cricket it reminds me this moment haha

college handegg fills that niche. it costs a lot of money to run a handegg team. there are like 30+ players on each team and a ton of coaches and support staff. they basically have to use the ncaa-slave athlete model for the league to be viable or else it will just go immediately bankrupt like AAF did.

pls reddit get out

Yeah I get all of that, but what exactly is a wicket?

Its spiritually disgusting

Combo of both but it depends on the country, some are more corrupt than others

Sauce

the sticks the bowler tries to knock over to get the batsman out.

why do they say it went "through the wickets" when the ball goes through the guys legs? isnt the cricket ball is too wide to fit through the wickets?

Wickets look like legs its a figure of speech

the few true fans are obviously upset, but most people are used to it by now

Is there sunday league in America for american sports? If not how is talent found?

Gotcha, I want to learn more about it, matches look like they’d be fun to go to, not sure about just on tv. Hockey is that way for me.

Why isn't the Super Bowl a best-of-seven series?

lel imagine the cte

College sports for the most part serve that purpose

You serious nigga? Its a 16 games regular season

High school sports are heavily scouted across all sports in USA

There's hundreds of College football teams that fill that gap. These colleges are steeped in tradition and locally driven much like clubs in Europe.

Euro clubs are much more similar to college programs here (in tradition and being locally driven) than corporate NFL teams.

why does the nhl draft happen so much earlier (in terms of age) compared to the other leagues? they are still 18 year old kids when they get drafted and many of them commit to a ncaa school and begin play there after being drafted. contrast that to the nba/nfl/mlb where the players are college aged, and have to declare their eligibility before they can get drafted, and then they cant return to the ncaa after being drafted.

Can someone redpill me on the Minnesota Twins?
I consider myself a Minnesota Twins fan but I don’t watch baseball anymore and haven’t for like 7 years but I heard they are legit contenders

It's still fun on tv you just don't need to pay attention to it all the time, half the fun is the banter
youtube.com/watch?v=XRstXQmXUgc

I've seen plenty of videos of people like Michael Van Gerwen, Barney and Phil Taylor. But, actually, how hype is darts in Europe? Do people actually follow it and support it that heavily? Because some of the fan reactions are nuts.

Statistically, they're like the fourth or fifth best team in the MLB. They're just playing very solid baseball, succeeding on most fronts.

Why are Prem kickoffs always so early, at 15:00 or so? Most other leagues (La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1) are in late afternoon/evening

Unironically they're the Minnesota Vikings of 2017. Making a great run, probably finish just short of the big game(s)

It's got a huge following, a lot of people probably have it as there 2nd or 3rd favourite sport.

Because it's the most watched league in the world, and they're not stupid. They make it accessible to other large markets.

is DAZN any good? they dont show yurosoccer here anymore because DAZN bought all the broadcasting rights. is it basically just a redd*t tier stream?

Just a tradition thing. It's not too early or too late for the travelling away fans. You wouldn't want a 10 pm kick off if you have to travel from Newcastle to London for example.

MLB players can go at anytime in all honesty. Many get drafted at 18. Some in shithole countries sign contracts when they are like 13 ala soccer (look up Ronald Acuña, last years rookie of the year)
Basketball used to do 18 too and I think boomers were just mad because “durr Jordan went to college, all deez greats went to college” after their teams had a string of busts.

Football on the other hand, I’m not sure. But the amount of money NFL makes and NCAAF... that shit is a higher level of jewry than my mind can think of but I imagine a lot of back scratching is happening

Why not just watch streams? Some other canadian anons were telling me nbcsn comes free

Yeah I agree it's good, I would like that here too

When I go to the derby in Split I have to take the next day off unless I'm working afternoon

The NHL does things the right way. Players like McDavid and Crosby shouldn't be playing against kids at age 20. And if a younger player isn't good enough to play pros at that age -- like most are -- they just go back to their developmental leagues.

The difference between the NHL and the NBA/NFL is that Hockey's junior and NCAA leagues are far less powerful. It's mostly lobbying by the colleges to keep their superstars in their leagues longer that keeps the NBA/NFL draft-age older.

>tripfag calling others reddit

if one team gets three points for a win but each team gets 1 point for a draw, where does that last point go?

How to change F1 so that we get the best drivers and not those who have rich daddies?

No. Its fastest lap period, no matter what car produces it. However, with the way the series is no car that isnt in the top 6 realistically will get it because of the performance gaps in teams.

Only top 10 cars are eligible for the fastest lap point.

Why isn't four square a national sport?

If a player gets drafted how does he negotiate his salary? Since he already has to play for that team can't the team pay him as little as possible?

Would be kind of cool. Considering how hype it was in grade school, it might do okay. All the kids crying when they were out brought me so much joy.

Reminds me: This one kid, who was a grade older than me named John, would constantly cry when he was eliminated. This is an 8th grader, mind you. And in an unrelated incident, he brought a live grenade to school to scare a bully. I was walking out of the nurse's office to him getting thrown in a cop car.

In the past a victory awarded 2 instead of 3 points. These used to make draws very valuable and it made some teams play for ties instead of victories so the rule was changed so that victories awarded 3 points to make wins more valuable.

why don't soccer teams run set plays? we even do it in basketball. not set pieces, specific plays from open play. like you have a certain A to B to C to D then hoof it to an exact spot where you know a guy will be making a run to

why was Yea Forums so adamant about getting wrestling moved to Yea Forums permanently? All i ever remember was they were contained in one thread, two when raw or a ppv was on. They were far from truly ruining Yea Forums as much as /pol/ has
Even though, sports has made /pol/, Yea Forums related and it's a damn shame. I can hardly even watch sporting events any more because of that.

>All i ever remember was they were contained in one thread
wrong, they spammed threads with only 2-3 replies for a solid year before based chinkmoot finally gave them the heave ho

I don't remember ever seeing that. I do remember that we could have asked for looser moderation to allow for things like ass and power ranking threads but we chose to ban wrestling

Yea Forums here and even I don't think wrestling belongs on Yea Forums. Wrestling fans are literally worse than people that pay for sex, even though most probably do.

I’m a bit of a conspiracy theorist here and think they got rid of it because with McMahon’s buddy being in power the CIA aspects of the post moot Yea Forums figured not to /pol/ify Yea Forums aa much. Let us continue as a relatively Alt-Right-free board whose political threads are dominated by center-left normies.

desu I see more Nazis on Normiebook and NormieTwitter than I so on Yea Forums

i just miss shitposting on Yea Forums, user. i'd gladly bring back raw gamethreads to be able to safely off-topic shitpost on Yea Forums. But it feels like those days are gone forever
/an/ Yea Forums threads were 10/10

Attached: 1550754092743.webm (640x480, 2.93M)

We all pay for sex though. Fucking bitch charged me an entire heart

in football can you get a yellow card for fouling too many times? or do you only get carded if one foul is deemed harsh enough?

>being emotionally invested in women

There was your first mistake.

How is it too expensive to buy some meat and vegetables and eat/drink less sugar?

everything else already said aside, it's better for mandramafags to have a whole board to roam in rather than a thread or two here. it changed Yea Forums somewhat from being super slow comfy niche to how it is now.

Is there a kino MMA championship to watch? getting sick of the UFC tbqhwyl

it isn't. people are lazy faggots and have every excuse in the world. you can make yourself a feast with $10 at the supermarket if you have even two braincells

STREETBEEFS on YouTube

why are mods such faggots?

the world may never know

it's not as simple as it sounds.
they spray the shit out of the produce with pesticides or they do whatever to it to increase the shelf life. some of it is gmo or some weird crosses that end up tasting like plastic. Most of the meat is raised in these giant industrial farms where the animals live packed together and stuffed with hormones/antibiotics. There are stores, like whole foods, where you can get all organic food, but they are horribly overpriced and not practical for most of the population. It's not impossible to find good for a decent price, but you'd surprised how much more effort that takes compared to somewhere in Western Europe.

And the most important, Lucio. World Cup champion.

Attached: lucio.jpg (750x500, 23K)

iktf

Attached: 081083A5-B541-4F62-BD1A-E71C96C5890E.jpg (266x200, 14K)

Celebrity Deathmatch

>When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in
You just reduced my cricket IQ

It's not. Americans are used to spending a tiny amount of their income relative to the rest of the world so when they have to pay a premium for something, they think they're getting hosed

Attached: TrCz9aqRThuI2mxwhO9qhQ_QpsMj_hhnJns1kZm9TeM.png (1024x512, 44K)

good answer

How expensive is it to get say a organic head of broccoli or a chicken breasts in usa, and how can vegetables really taste that bad even with some big spray on?

Bug*

organic chicken breast you can get for 5 or 6 bucks a pound, but depends on where you live.

this too. Americans just don't value food quality as much

Because our food is so fucking tasty and calorie-dense. In college a friend and I needed two more roommates and we ended up finding a couple exchange students to live with us. One was from Germany and the other from Sweden. Both put on 25 pounds or so the first year we lived together. The second year they stabilized but they didn't drop the weight they got from American cuisine. It was pretty fun showing them what all our city had to offer. The German loved barbecue and the Swede couldn't get enough pizza. We attended an agricultural school and we all went to the dairy building we have on campus a few times a week to get fresh ice cream made from milk pumped on campus.

Attached: bacon_twinkies.jpg (1024x1024, 240K)

Why are the Irish so shitty at sports?

They're pretty good at snooker

Is it weird for Europeans to find out soccer isnt popular in the USA? I remember it was weird for me when I found out baseball wasnt big outside the USA since the early years have almost a legendary mythical feel to them

It’s just inactivity. Has nothing to do with diet
Also kettle, you’re also black

The fact that their sport stars aren't recognized here makes them seethe

youtube.com/watch?v=n7NmaA79CHg
I still read the comments just to see how mad they are

American sports stars outside the NBA aren't recognized in the rest of the world

Yeah but no one in America really cares. I can't imagine someone seething in the comment section because Tom Brady wasn't recognized in Paris

the user going on about organic shit is a fucking moron. the generic regular big brand raw chicken, ect is totally fine. and you just have to buy produce like someone who knows wtf they are looking for to not buy shit.
even organic food is allowed to use certain pesticides and fertilizers that are classes as natural, same way in nitrate free bacon they use a celery extract that is naturally high in nitrates so the end result is exactly the same

This 100%

dont know where you get yours, but 95% of my local generic brands either taste like garbage or have no discernible taste.

Dates back to Victorian times, people would work Monday-Satuday but finish on a Saturday in time for a 3pm kick off. I'm pretty sure it was well over 100 years before any game was played on a Sunday or whatever.

This has nothing to do with it

They're all drunk manlets

Where is your J-Lin jersey?

Yeah its called persistent fouling. You see the ref point to the various places the fouls happened before he books him.
A lot of the time teams share the fouls around their players if they're playing that way. So if one midfielder has already fouled a couple of times or is on a yellow, the other midfielder starts closing in and getting physical/pulling shirts to save his teammate from being put in that situation.

Think I was aware of that the whole time

I'll allow it.

stupid question, but why won't leafs accept they have a * championship

LOL what a retard hahahah are you asking for real? How dumb are you? Do you have 10 iq looooooool

>Dates back to Victorian times, people would work Monday-Satuday but finish on a Saturday in time for a 3pm kick off. I'm pretty sure it was well over 100 years before any game was played on a Sunday or whatever.
Based football tradition
>Iwn have 3 or 4 generations of your family rooting for the same club
Why even live

On soccer broadcasts, how do they know what formation the teams will play in? Like before the match starts, when they show all the starters and where they will line up

It's based on previous matches, how the manager has set his team up before and the positions of the players. If there's a couple of like-for-like replacements compared to the previous match, you can assume they would play the same formation, like Spurs 4-2-3-1; however, if the team sheet has 3 cbs (Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Sanchez) they're probably going to play 3-4-2-1, which Pochettino has occasionally used in the past.

Sometimes managers play some random shit and the broadcasters just have a guess, and even that's correct most of the time

You're absolutely right. The St Louis Rams left St Louis for no reason other than Los Angeles being bigger and not having an NFL team yet. St Louis was even going to build the team another stadium. It's ultimately greed

in big championships the teams distribute media kits to the journalists with the formation and some historical facts about the team, match and the players

How come soccer players don't wear ankle guards anymore?

Why isn’t rugby more popular?

What does a ladies fanny smell like?

all team line ups are announced 1 hr before the game

and most teams stick with the same formation

prawn cocktail crisps

They use shin pads/guards and wear a bandage on the ankles. We hate to use shin pads because is not comfy. It feels different, as if the leg is heavier and makes you feel awkward.