Tell me about the Hornets, Americans of Yea Forums

1. Are they Relevant? Will they ever be?
2. What are their fanbase like?
3. Who are their top players? Are they elite?
4. How do you see this franchise in 3-5 years?

I want to start to root for a team, and their Purple/Blue theme caught my attention

Attached: Hornets.png (1063x1024, 141K)

>No. Unlikely under current ownership.
>Jaded from the fact that their team is a .500 franchise and the original Hornets left for New Orleans
>They just traded away Kemba Walker who was their single greatest player in franchise history
>Going nowhere like pretty much every small/mid-major market team in the NBA (Remember: The table is tilted towards big market superstars and always has been)

Kemba is gone and they haven’t really drafted any higher tier talent aside from him.

this, and also your fellow frenchfrog Batum basically torpedoed their chances of being currently relevant by signing a huge contract and suddenly completely forgetting how to play basketball.

This is pretty depressing

Legitimately probably the most irrelevant sports franchise in all of American sports leagues

1. Not really. One of the bottom 5 franchises in the NBA as they are poorly run.
2. They’re pretty loyal for a bad team
3. Their best player just left
4. Bad. Probably the worst single NBA team in terms of future prospects. Poorly run orgs in small markets will always struggle barring a miracle (ala the Cavs and LeBron)

Yep and I'll probably end up watching at least 75% of the game again this year lol

I really like their colors though, i hope they somehow will be good one day

Attached: Buzz city.jpg (610x355, 53K)

probably the most mediocre(not worst though) forgettable team in the last generation in all of our big 4 sports if you pay attention to all of them.

were an edgy cool kids meme team in the 90s when they first came about. hopelessly irrelevant since the days of muggsy bogues, zo, and grandma though

They are the Newcastle United of the NBA

1. No. Likely not with mj as the owner
2. It's mostly die hard locals who watch when college bball isn't on. They show support although it's hard to given the teams situation
3. I guess at this point batum. He isn't that good. The team is filled with a number of overpaid mediocre players and it's going to be a while before things get better with some of those contracts
4. With mj at the helm who knows. It's depressing

1. Probably not, MJ did this team worse than the Wizards
2. I don’t know, they’ve gone away.
3. Lol no
4. If they get lucky in the draft they’ll be a young and fun team, otherwise expect more scrubs

1. No. No.
2. What fanbase?
3. They have no good players worth talking about.
4. The same sorry state it's in now.

This team has won a grand total of three (3) playoff games since they returned to the league 15 seasons ago.

Attached: 1496096795795.jpg (210x243, 7K)

>when your team is getting roasted

We're a dumpster fire, but I'll take a poorly ran Hornets team over that Bobcats disaster Shinn left us with.

half of nba franchises are irrelevant

that's why they can't expand and got btfo twice by hockey twice trying to enter markets(Seattle/Las Vegas)

That's the state of the NBA right now. Like 8 teams matter

and yet the fans dont care and the NBA will keep posting record revenue even though they have literally the worst product of any sport league in the world

It'll reach a breaking point eventually
Their record profits won't mean much when 2/3rds the league is trying to sell their teams and the Lakers, Celtics, and Dubs can't even fill out a schedule for the next season

Maybe try supporting the jazz? They have your fellow frenchman Gobert

Your logic is retarded because the Warriors were one of those teams that didn't matter less than a decade ago. Thanks to the league's revenue sharing, teams that don't succeed can still be profitable. Most of them get by just fine.

Only a few have been perennially bad over an extended period though (Knicks, Suns, Kings, Hornets, Pelicans, T’wolves, Magic). Most teams have their ups and downs with historically bad teams like the Warriors, Raptors, Cavaliers and Clippers having their moment

I didn't say they were all bad. I said they didn't matter.
If you're not one of those 8 or so, you're never going to win a championship anyways, at least not without a literal act of god (hello Raptors)
There's not much point in trying

Leagues always been like that. It's always been an overbloated league but the teams up top make up the difference and pay for the field fillers below to give it more legitimacy and prop the ones up top even more in terms of looking better than they are

I really don't see what you're getting at. Yeah, there are about eight teams with serious championship hopes this year, but it's mostly a different group from last year. And the year before that we were talking about the cavs. Not every team can compete at once, but most will get a turn as long as they have competent management. The warriors kind of cloud that because they've been dominant for so long, but everything that went into the formation of that team was the real act of god.

>My Magics finally get the Hornets demon off their back this season
>Kemba leaves, team goes nuclear
Doesn't feel right, hope your rebuild doesn't take as long as Orlando's.

The last time the Lakers won a chip was 2010. No historically major market has won the chip since then, with many of them struggling

The Warriors became the dominant team through the draft and a bit of good fortune (injury concerns meant Curry ended up with an extremely favourable contract, the cap spike) which attracted an MVP. The Warriors drafted Curry, Thompson and Green. They were a notoriously bad franchise until relatively recently

>most will get a turn as long as they have competent management

By my calculation, since Detroit won in 2004 (15 years), the following have never had a "turn"

>76ers
>Wizards
>Magic
>Pacers
>Pistons
>Hornets
>Pelicans
>Bucks
>Hawks
>Timberwolves
>Grizzlies
>Nuggets
>Jazz
>Kings
>Blazers
>Suns

That's 16 teams, which I guess is a lower number than I was thinking, but it's still half the league

>everything that went into the formation of that team was the real act of god.

You're right, and pre-Steph they would have been on this list, too, but I think their dynasty has done enough to establish them as a relevant team for the foreseeable future.

The Bay Area is absolutely a major market
They just had shit ownership until recently
If the Warriors played in Omaha, Curry, Thompson, and Green all would have left for a big market before they won a thing

Pacers/Bucks/Nuggets/Sixers/Blazers are all good teams right now. Hawks and Grizzlies were good like 2-3 years ago.

A different team isn’t going to be champions every year.

Thunder?

None of those teams are/were anywhere near winning a championship
If anything they're the best proof the system isn't working
Teams like Charlotte being shit we can say is there own fault
These teams have played it near perfectly and still can't truly compete

>76ers
Have been good in the past, even if it's been a while. For a good chunk of the 2000's they were bad on purpose. This is their turn right now.
>Magic
The Magic have a track record of acquiring generational bigs and alienating them. They could have had Shaq, their failures are on them.
>Pacers
Maybe genuinely cursed. Depending on how Oladipo comes back and Brogdon's fit, they're in the mix this year, though.
>Bucks
Really good right now. They do not belong on this list.
>Hawks
Had a decent run that didn't work out for them not long ago. One of the better young cores in the league right now, though.
>Nuggets
They did well, and they're still young and getting better.
>Jazz/Blazers
Also in the mix right now, but they've kind of locked themselves in a no-man's land situation.
>Kings
Despite being one of the most poorly run organizations for decades, they've got themselves some good young guys who seem to enjoy playing with each other.

>Wizards, Hornets, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Grizzlies, Suns
These teams are all badly managed. Wether it's bad contracts, wasted draft picks, or bad trades, these teams have all fucked themselves over on multiple occasions. If you think that the rules should be changed so that the Suns management style is more feasible, then I just don't know what to say to you.

Championship windows are generally narrow, and line up with other teams. Only one can win, but don't let that distract you from the fact that other teams were playing great basketball at the same time and had a chance.

The Bucks and Portland reached the conference finals just last season. 538 predict the Sixers to have the best record in the East and the Nuggets to have the second best record in the West.

Do major market teams have advantages? Yes, undoubtedly. But not enough to make NY/LA/Philly/Chicago/Boston perennial contenders while small market teams languish

8 teams being relevant is like the best the NBA has ever been. Before it was literally just lakerswinlol Celticswinlol Bullswinlol

French people should support the Pelicans

Getting the Hornets name back to Charlotte, re-invigorating the logo, and the "Buzz City" meme are all great moves.

If they were to replace Mitch with someone decent and have MJ take a backseat in the GM role, then they'd have a chance at a come-back in a few years.

8 teams is way better than it usually is historically. It's really depressing that small markets can never compete despite a salary cap.

Teams competing in the conference finals or better should get to protect 5 players and then the shit teams can have a supplemental draft where they can pick through any of them and steal them.

No. No
Nonexistent/Pant Shitting Carolina Retards
Terry Rozier III/Marvin Williams/Cody Zeller. Lmao
Still the worst team in all of sports.

The Fleur De Bee was a very aesthetic logo

Attached: 93124dc34649aae58abb0efe9ca5e36f.gif (474x528, 21K)

those hornets are now the pelicans

I know, that's why I said "was". The Pelicans version isn't near as cool either.

Attached: 6144_new_orleans_pelicans-secondary-2014.png (648x750, 48K)