Can any euros explain why this shit is popular at all...

Can any euros explain why this shit is popular at all? It seems like the runner up tournament for anyone who couldn't make or failed in the champions league. Here in the USA we have a similar tournament in college basketball called the National Invitational Tournament for the mid level teams that couldn't quite qualify for the NCAA tournament. No one gives a shit about it. Why do euros care so much about a runner up tournament?

Attached: Europa_League.svg.png (1200x1722, 106K)

Lwff

>Here in the USA we have a similar tournament in college basketball
>tf
>tp

Because in Europe despite it being smaller (excluding Russia) we have way too many teams. It's like telling me if NBA had 600 top pyramid level teams (~15 teams x ~40 member countries) teams you wouldn't have separations.

There is no similarities to that.

College basketball is one of the most popular sports in America and the NCAA tournament generates the 2nd most revenue for playoffs in American sports after only the Super Bowl

There are 400 teams eligible for the NCAA tournament and still no one cares about the NIT

It's actually really close. Im a long time fan of both sports

>explaining footy to a Murrican
Won't even waste my time

Thanks my west russian friend

because it's comfy

It's like your side girl, you don't want to give her all your attention but you enjoy the time you spend with her

Because even the local teams have huge support and it's a big thing meeting other european teams.

this aswell. its always cool when teams who rarely play against eachother meet.

This

what's a side girl? a girl with whom you cheat your gf on?
you have 2 girls?

you don't?

The champions League is soulless plastic shit
The europa league is the true kino competition

Because my team always breaks down the city they have to play against

It’s comfy and kino

You wouldn’t understand

Why do Americans watch college football when they have a wide range of NFL teams to choose from? Surely every American from each of the 50 states can find his team among the handpicked 32, almost all of which are disproportionately located on the east coast

In fact my analogy isn't even fair since EL often features bandwagon teams with worldwide following like MU, Chelsea, Arsenal, Atletico, Milan, Inter etc

Its because you get to see teams who you wouldn't see play each other often, more versatility in the teams and big teams occasionally drop from champions league positions into Europa which brings more fans

its also a major trophy

Based Feyenoord

Because it gives smaller teams with something to compete in who have no chance to play in the big boys Champions league. Also, fuck up teams like Arsenal and Man U sometimes get placed in it as well to make it extra spicy.

My team is playing in it in a few hours. Otherwise, I wouldn't give a shit.

Attached: DwYv35-X4AAb1Oa.jpg (1199x800, 105K)

Strong minded post

>we have way too many teams
from many different countries

key difference

>not liking the tournament with the most soul
yikes

>this virgin

This is actually a good analogy, thank you my Armenian bro

Originally, only the champions of each country qualified for the European Cup (now the Champions' League). The UEFA Cup was founded for 2nd and 3rd placed teams, whilst a third tournament - the second most prestigious and more beloved than the UEFA Cup - was the Cup-Winners' Cup, whose entrants you can probably work out from the name. In the 90s the UEFA Cup and Cup-Winners' Cup were combined

>americans will never understand what supporting a team actually means

Attached: 1553241979420.jpg (540x540, 31K)

>He doesn't attend Milkatuckee Minors matches with a gallon of Pepsi Max, three family bags of Doritos and a squeezy-cheese-dispensing cap
Bloody Germans

A lot of small countries like Scotland have teams that can actually win something (but never do because spain wins lol)

I think Rangers will actually win EL this season

College sports has more soul then Advertiser FC will ever have. It's a bit of a shame you'll never know what supporting a team actually means.

It's the highest honor that small to mid level clubs can reach. The best a team like Watford can hope for is a consistent appearance in Europa, which means top 5/6 finish that year and some FA/League Cups along the way because they will never win Premiere League or Champions League in the current age. Unfortunately there's usually a borderline Champions League team that's far and away better than them to take it, but middle of the tables, plus Europa, and some league cups is it for 99% of the clubs out there.

Any urop tournament > college sports