Is Hamilton that good or he just has the best car?

Is Hamilton that good or he just has the best car?

Attached: Lewis Hamilton.jpg (720x405, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HhEHBd4w-Z4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He's good but his car is unparalleled and Bottas is an useless paydriver.

The domination is more the car than him, but he's still probably the best driver right now.

>but he's still probably the best driver right now
But that's to blame on the state of F1 right now. When Lotterer, nearly a 40 year old white-haired fuck put a second on Ericssen, it was done for F1.

He is that good BUT his car is also much better. Not downplaying his talent but in the case of the Hungarian GP it was a combination of God tier driver with the best car. He had such an amazing pace and Max was doing everything to keep him away. Don't let pundits tell you he was faster because he was "hitting the apex better" or dumb shit like that. You think Max Verstappen is a retard and doesn't know how to drive on the limit of his car? No. Hamilton's car was much faster. But yes, Bottas isn't able to use the full potential of that car when needed.

it's obviously mostly the car when you're winning the majority of races over a half decade stretch against 19 other elite drivers

both

he was already among the best of his peers during his McLaren years, but was mistake-prone and mentally weak. the dominant v6 turbo hybrid Mercedes cars cover and make up for that

Attached: 1563114591725.png (680x383, 244K)

Attached: F1CDB249-EB4A-4F01-8220-92D22119E510.jpg (998x998, 153K)

How the fuck is this shit a sport? Shouldn't this thread be on Yea Forums?

we all saw what happened when the rain hit

I hope he doesnt drive into a tree, haha that would be bad

Small brain: Hamilton is the best driver
Medium brain: Merc is the best car
Big brain: Hamilton is the best at driving the best car
The guy has never driven a non race winning F1. He just expects and is used to a degree of excellence and tailoring that allows him to take full advantage of the machine.

Basically the Pep Guardiola of F1.

Botas was literally faster in qualifiers so now they tweak the cars so that Botas is on another "plan".

>he's still probably the best driver right now.
He was nowhere in 2007-2013. He only got close to Kimi in 2007 because of spygate, lucked into WDC in 2008 and then got exposed multiple years straight. He is not that good. It's the car and the team.

Ham goes full hair replacement desu

Hes the autismo of F1.

This. And it's not like McLaren was a dumpy mid-field team then like it is now. He was given a race-win capable car each season.

Coincidentally, it's only once he gets to spend a couple of years driving for the only team in the field whose car works properly, he starts racking up wins left and right.

even in this gay modern f1, his car is simply acres better than any other car

he's the best car driver of all times

Rules had to be changed for Schumi to stop dominating
When will it hit Hammo? 8?

be aware that most mechanics and engineers are english, they will ALWAYS favour the english drivers. as soon as rosberg got half of hamilton's engineers for one season, rosberg won the championship.

Hopefully it "hits him" in two years with the 2021 rule change.

That being said, he'll probably win the driver's championship this season and next season, so he could plausibly have a grand total of seven driver's championships, which will equal Schumi's total.

Anything can happen, of course, but you aren't too far off the number of chips it takes to change the rules.

we live in the representation era. everything is made for a nog to win grand prix so they can expand the market and get the anti white racists to watch F1 for the sake of muh historic moments

> we live in the representation era.

I agree. In my opinion, Drive to Survive and the current rules have made F1 suck ass.

If the new rule changes actually make the racing better, then I'm on board. If not, then I'll stop watching F1. For me, it's as simple as that.

Drive to Survive pissed me off because I don't think F1 is a dramatic spectacle with slow-mo crashes and all that shit. I enjoy thinking of F1 as just an engineering battle to see who can complete the race the fastest using the car they designed based on the given rules.

If one team/driver has a distinct advantage (for whatever reason) other teams should still be able to make improvements and catch up. Right now, I don't think this is possible due to the difference in performance between Mercedes F1 and everyone else. Also, the current rules & regs in place are making it difficult for teams to improve.

Something has to change in order to keep the interest of fans, and the rules are that "something".

Its like button wining and he sucks ass
This little twerp is on par with montoya and kubica, above average

Nah, the hybrid era helped him. Before that he was just mediocore.

>Rules had to be changed for Schumi to stop dominating
And even then, the period of utter Ferrari dominance was not as long as this one has lasted.

Merc got so good so early that Ferrari are seething left and right. This wasn't the case when their closest rival was McLaren.

>This wasn't the case when their closest rival was McLaren.
It's a different Ferrari back then compared to today.
Ferrari back then had Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, in addition to having an unlimited testing budget.
Now they've got a bunch of Italians.
Today teams basically aren't allowed to develop a car so whatever you show up with in the beginning of the season is what you're stuck with.

This.

>Today teams basically aren't allowed to develop a car so whatever you show up with in the beginning of the season is what you're stuck with.

This is true for most of the grid, which makes Williams/Georgie boi's performance in the last Grand Prix far more impressive in my opinion.

[spoiler] pic related; you heard it here first [/spoiler]

Attached: second merc driver 2020.jpg (694x1123, 119K)

That wasn't down to driver error, but poor weather forecasting by the team and that abysmal pit stop didn't help either

This. Short of Ayrton Senna, Hamilton is the best wet weather driver the sport's ever seen.
No one could overcome that many fuckups by the team in terms of tire selection, though.

If anything, Lewis should be miffed that his car is so much better than every other car on the grid because it disguises how good he actually is. Just think about it: the car is so good, that if Lewis took a year off, Valtteri Bottas would be champion.

If he was s good, the best driver according to some, then why did he go 5 straight years without winning the championship? Having a few 3-5th place finishes in that time?

Mmmmm,........

So you're saying the best engineers are British? G*rmans BTFO.

Pure fallacy. 2009 was impossible to win for anyone not in a Brawn GP, considering they were the only ones with a car built specifically around a double diffuser (others added one later but their cars were not designed from the ground up to use one). As soon as McLaren added a DD they won races, even against a better Brawn and Red Bull car. Note, Alonso won 1 GP that year with McLaren, Hamilton 4.

2010-13 were pure Red Bull years. 2010 was close but RB (followed by Ferrari) had the best car. In 2011 Vettel won 11 times, came 2nd 5 times, third once, fourth once and retired once, in an unbeatable car. Again 2012 was closer (RB, Ferrari, Lotus having the best three cars due to McLaren's unreliability) but 2013 was more ridiculous still, with Vettel winning 9 straight races at the end of the season.

Of course at the moment Hamilton is in the best car, but what people never seem to grasp with F1 is the best car almost always wins, and the best driver is almost always in the best car because the team that's winning wants the best driver and is the most attractive option. There's a reason Mercedes didn't pick up Vettel (German, perfect for the team), Alonso, Raikkonen, or anyone else for 2014.

Gee, I don't know (this hasn't even been updated)

Attached: 1561660113037.jpg (1242x1189, 318K)

>but what people never seem to grasp with F1 is the best car almost always wins,
Nah, bro. Literally everyone knows this.
The difference between this era and the previous eras of dominance is simply its length.

The F1 of years past would have stepped in a long time ago for the good of the series. Bernie/Liberty will have allowed seven consecutive seasons of Mercedes playing on babby mode by the time the new engine regs come out.

How does the driver have any influence in the F1 ?

Pls redpill me on this sport. I've never watched it

Unironic /f1/ 2019 driver ratings (based on best possible pace driver could produce if pushed)
i.e. ham's basically chilling the past year and a half cause no challenge means i rate him higher than his performances this year

>Verstappen
>Hamilton
>Ricciardo
>Sainz Jr
power gap
>Vettee
>Russell (fight me)
>Leclerc
>Kvyat / Albon
>Hulk
>Norris
>Räikkönen (again, fight me, he was shit against vet and alo)
>Magnussen
>Bottas
>Grosjean
>Pérez / Gasly
power gap
>Stroll
>post crash Kubica
>Giovinazzi

honestly dont think this can be disputed t b h

Fuck off.
Hamilton isn't that good in the rain.
As of Hockenheim, the team did what others did, including Red Bull.
Also, the abysmal stop was entirely HAM's fault, due to his dirty pit entry shenanigans.
Hockenheim 2018 aside, i think Vettel is the best rain performer on today's grid.
Besides Senna, it is Schumacher.

1. gimi
>Power gap
9999999999999999. everyone else(fight me you cucks)

the F1 constructors are in england, they hire locally it's normal

Massively overrating Sainz.

It's clear to me that Verstappen is faster than Hamilton. The only thing up for debate is whether he'd handle the pressure of a genuine championship battle.

Put Verstappen in a Merc and Ham in a Red Bull, who wins the championship over 22 races?

Kimi Mathias Raikkonen

Verstappen would win every quali and race that season

Hamilton and Verstappen are clearly the best drivers in F1 right now. Vettel is a close third but that's because of his incredible tire management not his raw speed.

Did you expect him to either drive against the traffic in order to enter the pit stop the right way? In that one exemplary case it would've made sense to break a rule rather than cause a serious crash.

But Hamilton's the best driver though?

youtube.com/watch?v=HhEHBd4w-Z4

whens he putting his tunes out then

VERSTAPPEN IN THE MERCEDES WOULD HAVE 22 POLES AND 22 WINS LOL ITS EZ

HAMILTON IN THE RED BULL WOULD BE CONSTANT 2ND LMAO

gimi :DDDDDDD

Now way of knowing the first. The second would still be better than the constant third and fourths max is getting at RB desu

how fucking stupid does Red Bull look not wanting Sainz and instead putting Gasly into the car, lmao

sad sad state of driver management by da bullz

He's the best driver in the best car

>vettel is the best performer in the rain
Almost all of his wins have been leading from the front. And I remember 2 distinct instances (canada 2011 against RELENTLESS Jenson Button and Hockenheim last year) where he was going to win but fucked up in the rain.
Verstappen imho is better than Vettel in the rain.

The best driver argument ends where it starts. There's no way of knowing who's the best pure racing driver because all the cars are different. The Mercedes is the most dominant machine in the history of the sport, put any top driver in it and he will be a championship contender.
Don't forget Nico beat Hamilton in the same car. You can say it was because of mechanical failures but even Rosberg had car issues and Hamilton did crash into Rosberg costing him a race win. He's a great driver but if you put Vettel, Verstappen or even Ricciardo in the car, they would have similar performances

>car
Merc got full FIA support and got away with fouls that the other teams couldn't

Impossible to know unless everyone has the exact same machinery. And even then you could argue whatever car they use suits the driving characteristics of some drivers over others. Arguing about which drivers are better is the most pointless waste of time.

>Also, the current rules & regs in place are making it difficult for teams to improve
This is the biggest problem with F1 currently. The rules are way too strict for a series that is in the end an engineering challenge. Once someone gets a head start and figures a new way to exploit the rules everyone else is in catch-up mode. If the rules are as strict as they are now everyone else is left forever chasing the fastest team and trying to copy their solution while the faster team can already work on further marginal gains. If the rules were less strict the other teams could try to find other ways to improve their car instead of being forced to copy the one innovation that fits the rules. It would result in much more variety and even control the costs as there is nothing as expensive as trying to get the last marginal gains. The current ruleset is almost like they've set out to find a combination that brings out the worst aspects of spec series and relaxed rulesets.

F1 just makes me sad now. Even the last couple of races that have actually delivered some spectacle have largely been dross.

Canada 2011 was the best Yea Forums moment I've ever enjoyed.

f1 is pretty much a lot of brits and a few italians

True, true. Not Mercedes and Red Bull are based in the UK.

Attached: mhmm.jpg (320x510, 71K)

Note*

Renault as well. If you look at their website all their f1 job offers are in the uk.

F1 cars are too reliable these days. I miss the days when the leading car could just explode any moment. Made it more exciting because there was always some luck involved whether the second or third best team could compete with number one.

Prost > Senna

It's because of the shitty engine regulations where they get penalized 100 positions for touching anything on the engine. If they could use a new engine every race teams would be more willing to run them right at their limit to get more power and thus risking failure.

>Not recognizing bait...

How many teams even aren't based in the UK? I can think of Ferrari and STR and partially Haas.

Since when is Milton Keynes in Austria?

this
FIAMG

Getting third and fourths in a car that is worse than ferrari and mercedes isnt half as bad as you make it out to be

eh, they really only lack marginally in total power. they have always had some of the best aero on the grid

That car was fucked in the beginning of the season. Red Bull never has a good chassis at the beginning of the season.

which they could get away with then they had power parity back in the V8 days, doesnt really work out anymore and with the super cut amount of testing

lmao all those regulations are to alow small teams to exist, to make it more "fair", engines are very expensive

and yet the new engines are 10x the cost of V8s because of all the hybrid bullshit required

oy vey, gotta save the planet

>kubica
He was awesome in 2008. I miss that BMW team.

i always found that concept to be hilarious with racing, given how much cargo they fly all over the globe and the cars sip fuel comparatively.

Yes because they are using super expensive and complicated engines. If they allowed regular V8 - V12 engines it would be cheaper for the teams to replace them every single race.